Forget the hardware sales. MS is destroying Sony and Nintendo via software sales

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?RonnieLottinSF

He's an Xbot. He won't understand. It's so simple, though. It took the 360's best title to barely beat the Wii despite the Wii having had nothing of importance to fight back with. Imagine what will happen when the Wii does get something!

:lol:

Exactly. I own a 360 - and even I'm not as dense as that guy. The Wii is more than likely going to obliterate the holiday sales charts.

Is that why the 360 is still outselling the Wii in NA for the entire month of October?

Please don't go by VGChartz. They make up 90% of their numbers.

And they were with in 10K of the NPD totals before those numbers were released. :D

They were also 100,000 off with the DS. They predicted 602,000, NPD says 495,000. Like I said, don't go by VGChartz.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?Erkidu

He's an Xbot. He won't understand. It's so simple, though. It took the 360's best title to barely beat the Wii despite the Wii having had nothing of importance to fight back with. Imagine what will happen when the Wii does get something!

Exactly. I own a 360 - and even I'm not as dense as that guy. The Wii is more than likely going to obliterate the holiday sales charts.

Is that why the 360 is still outselling the Wii in NA for the entire month of October?

Again, barely. Which is sad, considering the software circumstances.

Sad? The wii is selling like crazy havent you noticed? Moreover, this was the wiis best selling month yet. So one could argue that the wii being outsold in its strongest month to date is sad.

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?kevy619

The wii had its best selling month yet, so what is your point?

The point is despite having no software releases, the Wii had its best month and almost tied the 360 - which launched its FLAGSHIP title.
Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Erkidu
[QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?kevy619

Again, barely. Which is sad, considering the software circumstances.

Sad? The wii is selling like crazy havent you noticed? Moreover, this was the wiis best selling month yet.

You're right. :| What's your point? That's the point I'm trying to argue.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts
[QUOTE="dream431ca"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Software is useless without proper working hardware.horgen123

My system works just fine.

pwned

Unfortunatly 3.6 Million people don't agree with you. :(

Three years warranty. They will fix it.

I wish that were true... for me... i had 2nd 360 break and they never helped...
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"]

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14856/September-Xbox-360-Tops-Hardware-and-Software-Sales/

pwned

OhSnapitz

You should check the 360's software sales last year. Back in January, the Xbox 360 only had an attach rate of 4.6 games sold per console. That's about the same attach ratio as the Wii has now (without WiiSports or WiiPlay).

Also, the 360 only managed to outsell the Wii's software sales 4 to 1 because of Halo 3. With 3.3 million units sold by Halo 3 alone, I would think that Halo 3 outsold the rest of the 360's own software sales by 3 to 1, too.

Link?

Nintendo's annual financial report (PDF

Wii hardware sold in NA, LTD June 07: 3.81 million

Wii software sold in NA, LTD June 07: 23.19 million

Attach rate: 6.08

WiiSports has a 100% attach rate, and I'm assuming WiiPlay has an attach rate of 50% in North America. That means subtracting 1.5 out of the attach rate above, the Wii had an attach rate of about 4.58 in June 2007, basically the same as what the 360 had only six months earlier. So the Wii achieved in only eight months what took the 360 a year and a half to achieve. And it's still getting amazing hardware sales, too.

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts
[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?mjarantilla

And they were with in 10K of the NPD totals before those numbers were released. :D

They were also 100,000 off with the DS. They predicted 602,000, NPD says 495,000. Like I said, don't go by VGChartz.

Well I wasn't talking about the DS. I was talking about the 360 (520K according to VG, 528K NPD and Wii 496K VG, 501K NPD). I don't really care about the PS3 numbers because they are so low does it really matter?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="kevy619"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?Erkidu

The wii had its best selling month yet, so what is your point?

The point is despite having no software releases, the Wii had its best month and almost tied the 360 - which launched its FLAGSHIP title.

Thanks for answering for me. I cannot understand how people cannot grasp such a simple concept.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]*snip*

RonnieLottinSF

Well I wasn't talking about the DS. I was talking about the 360 (520K according to VG, 528K NPD and Wii 496K VG, 501K NPD). I don't really care about the PS3 numbers because they are so low does it really matter?

VGChartz tries to track everything. IF they were wrong about the DS last month, they could be wrong about the 360 OR the Wii this month. Back in July, they predicted 250,000 360s sold. It turned out to sell only 150,000. VGChartz is unreliable. Stop using it.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"]

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14856/September-Xbox-360-Tops-Hardware-and-Software-Sales/

pwned

mjarantilla

You should check the 360's software sales last year. Back in January, the Xbox 360 only had an attach rate of 4.6 games sold per console. That's about the same attach ratio as the Wii has now (without WiiSports or WiiPlay).

Also, the 360 only managed to outsell the Wii's software sales 4 to 1 because of Halo 3. With 3.3 million units sold by Halo 3 alone, I would think that Halo 3 outsold the rest of the 360's own software sales by 3 to 1, too.

Link?

Nintendo's annual financial report (PDF

Wii hardware sold in NA, LTD June 07: 3.81 million

Wii software sold in NA, LTD June 07: 23.19 million

Attach rate: 6.08

WiiSports has a 100% attach rate, and I'm assuming WiiPlay has an attach rate of 50% in North America. That means subtracting 1.5 out of the attach rate above, the Wii had an attach rate of about 4.58 in June 2007.

It's pretty funny though.. According to this article the wii has a high 4.5 attach rate, but you never see those games toping the NPD charts. :| I know games like PM2 ect.. sold well but what are where are the other games..

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 RonnieLottinSF
[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]*snip*

mjarantilla

VGChartz tries to track everything. IF they were wrong about the DS last month, they could be wrong about the 360 OR the Wii this month. Back in July, they predicted 250,000 360s sold. It turned out to sell only 150,000. VGChartz is unreliable. Stop using it.

Well that logic is stupid to me because they were pretty damn close to the Wii and 360 numbers THIS MONTH meaning they could be close next month as well. We shall see.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]*snip*

RonnieLottinSF

Well that logic is stupid to me because they were pretty damn close to the Wii and 360 numbers THIS MONTH meaning they could be close next month as well. We shall see.

"Hey, this month I guessed within ten thousand units of the actual amount! Last month I was off by half a million units! YES, I AM COMPLETELY 100% RELIABLE!"

:roll:

If VGChartz proves itself unreliable for three months, then suddenly gets one month barely right (they still missed the DS numbers by over 100,000!), I'd say that they're more likely to cluster**** next month rather than get it right.

Stop using them.

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 RonnieLottinSF
[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]*snip*

mjarantilla

"Hey, this month I guessed within ten thousand units of the actual amount! Last month I was off by half a million units! YES, I AM COMPLETELY 100% RELIABLE!"

If VGChartz proves itself unreliable for three months, then suddenly gets one month barely right (they still missed the DS numbers by over 100,000!), I'd say that they're more likely to cluster**** next month rather than get it right.

Stop using them.

So when did 100K = half a million? When did 8K off and 5K off become half a million?

joeblak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 joeblak
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts

mjarantilla

Indeed. Look how far off they are compared to the NPD.

September VGC Total NPD(Canada and U.S. NPD)

Xbox 360 520,698 579,000

Wii 496,591 543,900

DS 620,910 540,800

PSP 348,422 306,500

PS2 290,933 231,500

PS3 168,393 135,000

GBA 97,145 83,600

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"]*snip*

RonnieLottinSF

Stop using them.

So when did 100K = half a million? When did 8K off and 5K off become half a million?

When did 100k = "accurate"?

I was exaggerating for effect. But VGChartz has been horrible in their accuracy since they started pretending to be as good as NPD instead of simply just reporting NPD. Stop using them, at least for weekly numbers. They use NPD numbers for their historical data, but their weekly data is just horrible.

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 killaj2786
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

I love everyone who said it's because of halo 3.....

come o....look at before halo 3 and say that again.... if u cancel out halo3 they still made more than sony and nitendo combined....

So I guess we can use this excuse when super mario galaxy or ffxiii sell alot :roll:

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 mjarantilla

come o....look at before halo 3 and say that again.... if u cancel out halo3 they still made more than sony and nitendo combined....

So I guess we can use this excuse when super mario galaxy or ffxiii sell alot :roll:

killaj2786

Proof, plz.

butteater86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 butteater86
Member since 2007 • 1306 Posts

[QUOTE="Erkidu"]:| Wow, you're dense. It dosen't matter how you word it - the Wii had it's best month without ANY software releases in the same month that the 360 launched its FLAGSHIP title, and it BARELY beat the Wii. Could you please think?Hexagon_777

Ain't that the sad, sad truth. Stupid casuals...

StreetRodJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 StreetRodJack
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

The Wii had its best month despite no major games having launched, while the 360's best game ever launched and barely beat the Wii. Think about it.

Hexagon_777

And Hyundai outsells BMW. Which would you rather have?

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

The Wii had its best month despite no major games having launched, while the 360's best game ever launched and barely beat the Wii. Think about it.

StreetRodJack

Toyota.

BMW's not THAT great. Depends on what you're looking for.

thenorminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 thenorminator
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts

the Wii does not need any "GREAT" games. the Wii is selling byit self. form my understanding alot of thepeople who buy the Wii are people who can't care less about games like Halo and MGS they just wantto playWiisports.

StreetRodJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 StreetRodJack
[QUOTE="StreetRodJack"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

mjarantilla

Toyota.

I would personally take a Honda, but I agree with you. My point is that the Wii is not better because it sells more. It sells more because it has a lower price point.

Kratos_OMEGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73 Kratos_OMEGA
Member since 2007 • 2872 Posts
360 has the largest userbase of Hardcore gamers = More game sales.
Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

why is that whenever 360 has something doing good people bring up "oh noeez teh hardwarezzzz RROD!!!111" my 360 never got RROD, playing since february 2006 and enjoying awesome games, sad you guys believe BS and dont even get to play on one of the best console evermingo123

I got the RROD, does that mean it doesn't exist? And it's nowhere NEAR one of the best ever.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

It still outsold the Wii in the Wii's best NA month ever and has been outselling the Wii every week in October so far in NA.

It also outsold the Wii by 35K, not 20K.

pwned

RonnieLottinSF

even with halo3 the 360 only outsold the wii because of lack of supply

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="StreetRodJack"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

StreetRodJack

Toyota.

I would personally take a Honda, but I agree with you. My point is that the Wii is not better because it sells more. It sells more because it has a lower price point.

That's one reason, but it's not the only reason, nor do I think is it the main reason. It's kind of stupid to compare cars directly to consoles since they cost tens of thousands of dollars. With consoles, the Wii is only $100 cheaper than the 360. That's not that much. Not even two 360 games.

DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
When you lost the hardware, find something else you have.Ragnarok1051
When you have lost the games, find something else you have.
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
so this means that lemmings finally agree that 360 hardware it self sucks?
StreetRodJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 StreetRodJack

[QUOTE="StreetRodJack"]

mjarantilla

That's one reason, but it's not the only reason, nor do I think is it the main reason. It's kind of stupid to compare cars directly to consoles since they cost tens of thousands of dollars. With consoles, the Wii is only $100 cheaper than the 360. That's not that much. Not even two 360 games.

The 360 costs 40% more, which is a considerable percentage. To use a cow argument, "Why should I pay $50 to play on-line when I can get it for free?" The difference there is only $50.

BTW, I was not comparing cars to consoles. I was making an analogy. You could use any product to compare against it's competitors. I chose cars.

martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
proper working hardware is useless without Software.dream431ca

How it should read.
Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Erkidu

killaj2786
Who cares how much money MS is raking in? What matters is installed base - not profit. In that regard, Wii is obliterating.
IvanDraco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 IvanDraco
Member since 2003 • 33 Posts
the guy who started this should feel really lonely today
7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts

the guy who started this should feel really lonely todayIvanDraco

Says the person who revived a thread from October.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#84 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

and that is with piracy rampant aswel..

not surprising since the other 2 especialy ps3 has no games...WORTH PLAYING

Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
It doesn't have Starcraft 2 therefore nobody should care.
--ProtoMan--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 --ProtoMan--
Member since 2007 • 1376 Posts
bu bu but only teh sheep play sales!!!
razu_gamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 razu_gamer2
Member since 2007 • 491 Posts
ok.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Software is useless without proper working hardware.MrEpyx

I guess its a good thing the 360 has a 3 year warranty ;)

No it doesn't. Only for RROD, there are many other problems with the 360.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

and that is with piracy rampant aswel..

not surprising since the other 2 especialy ps3 has no games...WORTH PLAYING

daveg1

What about Uncharted or Ratchet and Clank? :|

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Hasn't the Wii beaten the 360 in software sales for the last 3 or 4 months? :?
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts
Is that september? Why?
the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts
lol revenue
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
good for ms
RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts
[QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="RonnieLottinSF"]

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]When you lost the harware, find something else you have.Erkidu

Nah. The 360 also just owned the Wii and PS3 in hardware sales as well. ;)

Software sales is where you actually make the money and gain the 3rd party devs.

360 didn't own anything. I own a 360, and even I think that sounds idiotic. The 360's flagship title launched, and it only managed to outsell the Wii by 20,000? Are you kidding me? The Wii STILL managed to sell through 500,000 units without any major software launches. Go away.

And the Wii just had its best month in NA, yet the 360 still beat its arse.

pwned

No thinking needed. (360) 580K >>>>> (Wii) 544K >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (PS3) 135K for September.

Oh and for you handheld lovers, the 360 also outsold the DS for September.

Software numbers, well that is a laughable debate because the 360 murdered the Wii and PS3 combined.

Stop making up numbers. 360 - 528,000 Wii - 501,000 This happened with the release of the 360's main flagship title - and the Wii had absolutely no software releases = hilarious.

How is that hilarious? That means that gamers buy systems because of the name of the system and not the games. To me as a gamer, that is embarrassing not hilarious!

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]Software is useless without proper working hardware.RonnieLottinSF

My system works just fine.

pwned

That's YOUR system.

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts

why is that whenever 360 has something doing good people bring up "oh noeez teh hardwarezzzz RROD!!!111" my 360 never got RROD, playing since february 2006 and enjoying awesome games, sad you guys believe BS and dont even get to play on one of the best console evermingo123

That's YOUR console.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
BS figures, where is DSL PC and PSP (N gage too lol). Besides its from an xbox fanboy site that finally learnt how to use an excel pie chart, vested interest anyone?
Abstract_Choas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98 Abstract_Choas
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts
funny you picked the month that halo 3 was released
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Guys, this thread is from October.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Damage control. Funny how last year it was all about the hardware sales with lemings. :lol: