Forbes: Sony and PS5 'Anti-Consumer'

  • 176 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

A Narrative Of Sony And PS5 As ‘Anti-Consumer’ Is Starting To Take Shape

All Microsoft’s efforts to paint themselves as “pro-consumer” are starting to bear fruit, while Sony, staying with the industry standards or even moving in the opposite direction, is starting to feel a little “anti-consumer” to some potential players in contrast.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/09/24/a-narrative-of-sony-and-ps5-as-anti-consumer-is-starting-to-take-shape

Do you agree or disagree?

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

18757

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 18757 Posts

You hear that???

This should be good lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

14021

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14021 Posts

Xbots are like Biden supporters at this point.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

32384

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32384 Posts

Yeah, I would say that I agree.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah, I would say that I agree.

Me too. That's why I'm getting a DE PS5 and will only get exclusive PS5 content that isn't available elsewhere. Xbox Series X is for all my heavy lifting. :D

Avatar image for Zidaneski
Zidaneski

9166

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9166 Posts

Isn’t Spider-Man Remastered different from games that use smart delivery?

in that I mean it’s not just uping the framerates and resolution?

Avatar image for dagubot
Dagubot

380

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 380 Posts

Cows are gonna be furious and turn it back to Microsoft somehow 😂

Avatar image for Ant_17
Ant_17

13619

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13619 Posts

Forbes making articles on twitter memes now.

Avatar image for madrocketeer
madrocketeer

7661

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7661 Posts

Well, I would say Sony aren't doing anything that wasn't deemed "industry standard" or "acceptable" in the past - it's just that consumer perception have shifted, no doubt partially helped along by Microsoft, but they are not the only factor.

As I like to say; "absolute stagnation equals effective regression." When other people move on and you remain stagnant, you're going to look like you've regressed, even if you've merely been standing still.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

48268

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 48268 Posts

Paul Tassi is arguably one of the better game journalists out there, it is worth considering for a second what he is saying.

As for the topic, I sort of agree; MS has been putting in real effort to show that they are serious about gaming. It might not always be impressive (Halo: Infinite, for example), but it's tangible.

Sony, on the other hand, seems to just coast on the reputation of preceding consoles and their rabid fanbase. Hype and less tangible.

Either way I think this generation will be good.

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

46712

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46712 Posts

Not going to read it, but can someone bullet their reasons?

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
ProtossRushX

7909

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7909 Posts

Well lets see.

PS+ is still $60 year right? Plus there adding PS+ collection for PS5 owners etc.

XBL Gold got price hiked to $100 year and as adding no games for X-Series owners etc.

You can play free to play games on Nintendo Switch and Playstation for free without a subscription. You have to buy gold if you want to play the big free games like fortnite and warzone on X-Series.

You cannot upgrade the physical version of CoD Cold War to upgrade to X-Series X version so you have to rebuy the game for $70 to upgrade. On PS5 there is an upgrade plan for physical owners to upgrade for $10 savings of 60 dollars.

PSVR will work with an adapter and your PSVR games will work ON PS5

Kinect will not work nor will your kinect games work on X-Series

X-Series owners also have to buy AA batteries, Rechargeable batteries, or a Play and Charge Kit to continue to use their controllers once the first AA batteries die out.

PS now lets you play all those games online for free

Xbox Game Pass you need Ultimate or live to play those online and Gamepass 120 and PS now 60 for the year.

Xbox X-Series will not support 21:9 ultrawide settings like 99% of the PC games on steam do you're paying more and getting less support.

This is just some of anti consumer stuff Microsoft has done compared to Sony's stances.

Avatar image for tormentos
tormentos

33205

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33205 Posts

@briguyb13:

Both are been anticonsumer, MS hiding free to play games behind a paywall is not pro consumer,neither is selling a over priced proprietary drive or not including a damn pair of rechargeable batteries in 2020.

Not to mention PS now allow you to play online free, gamepass requires ultimate for that which is more expensive.

Avatar image for Chutebox
Chutebox

46712

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 46712 Posts

@tormentos said:

@briguyb13:

Both are been anticonsumer, MS hiding free to play games behind a paywall is not pro consumer,neither is selling a over priced proprietary drive or not including a damn pair of rechargeable batteries in 2020.

Not to mention PS now allow you to play online free, gamepass requires ultimate for that which is more expensive.

Wait, what?

Avatar image for ellos
ellos

2438

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2438 Posts

I have a feeling Spiderman MM is probably shorter then what people are expecting. Shorter then UC LL type of thing. They are trying to make the ps5 upgrade not free to add value to it. While at the same time tying it to another version of Spiderman MM before the game is even out. The shit is confusing as hell.

Sony has talent but man the new folks that are running the show are trying there best to squander it.

Avatar image for ConanTheStoner
ConanTheStoner

19606

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 19606 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Not going to read it, but can someone bullet their reasons?

> Sonys somewhat convoluted approach to Spodermen vs. how MS is pushing Smart Delivery.

That bit was actually funny since I don't keep up with fanboy shit outside this forum. MS got a solid dunk in.

> Sony talking $70 games and half assing PS Now while MS is pushing Gamepass hard.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

4158

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#17 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4158 Posts

More mainstream sites should write articles about it. What they're doing is unacceptable. And no, adding RT is not worth $40+ or whatever they're charging, that's just a ripoff.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

43891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43891 Posts
Dis goin be gud😂
Dis goin be gud😂

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

10489

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#19 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10489 Posts

I completely disagree.

One narrative that I hate is the GamePass narrative. Yeah, getting all of those games for a low monthly price is great but it doesn't change the fact that most AAA games cost a ton of money to make and are worth charging $60/70. No one is anti consumer for charging you that price for a game.

It'll be fun to see when folks aren't willing to pay more than $5 for multi million dollar budget games. Have fun making that work.

Avatar image for firedrakes
firedrakes

2548

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 2548 Posts

rechargeable batteries in 2020

amazon your friend on that.

one thing not mention

big m gives free unlimited cloud compare to sony.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#21 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

I completely disagree.

One narrative that I hate is the GamePass narrative. Yeah, getting all of those games for a low monthly price is great but it doesn't change the fact that most AAA games cost a ton of money to make and are worth charging $60/70. No one is anti consumer for charging you that price for a game.

It'll be fun to see when folks aren't willing to pay more than $5 for multi million dollar budget games. Have fun making that work.

How is that any of the consumer's concern? Is it our job to worry about the company's profits, or our own savings?

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9162

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9162 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Xbots are like Biden supporters at this point.

More like Trump supporters lol

[In Trump's Voice]

"We have no games...but we don't need any because Sony will go away in a few months and no one will notice"

"Playstations are a hoax. They're fake news"

"Who needs exclusives when we horsepower. We have the horsepower"

Months Later...

"Only 200K American's have purchased an Xbox One. Those are great numbers... We're doing a wonderful job"

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

43891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43891 Posts

I see the usual suspects are trying to hide that they are being triggered. 😂

Avatar image for louixiii
LouiXIII

9162

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 9162 Posts

@briguyb13: Disagree. I couldn't get a free Mario Kart upgrade from my Wii U to Switch versions. Same for Pokken, BoTW or any other Wii U version but does that make Nintendo anti consumer?

Of course not. It's business. Simple as that. You want the new version for the new console, buy it again or enjoy your previous purchase.

Avatar image for Ghost120x
Ghost120x

5722

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#25 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 5722 Posts

Sony is just doing what console makers have been doing for several generations now.

MS just made good moves by changing the narrative and the general public’s perceived value on AAA games.

MS disrupted the market and is making Sony look old, confused and out of touch. And It’s working.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#26 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

@louixiii said:

@briguyb13: Disagree. I couldn't get a free Mario Kart upgrade from my Wii U to Switch versions. Same for Pokken, BoTW or any other Wii U version but does that make Nintendo anti consumer?

Of course not. It's business. Simple as that. You want the new version for the new console, buy it again or enjoy your previous purchase.

Make your own thread about Nintendo or Microsoft. This is "whataboutism" and weaksauce deflection. This thread is about Sony's anti-consumer practices.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

43891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43891 Posts
@briguyb13 said:

How is that any of the consumer's concern? Is it our job to worry about the company's profits, or our own savings?

That is the thing about shills, they care a lot about the profits of a company over their best interest.

Avatar image for fastnslowww
FastNslowww

486

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#28 FastNslowww
Member since 2017 • 486 Posts

Bunch of crying babies..........i won't even bother. Tho i will say that what sony is doing isn't anti consumer, people just expect too much for too little. Expecially because of what desperate MS is doing...it isn't going to pay off, trust me.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

14021

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14021 Posts

@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

How is that any of the consumer's concern? Is it our job to worry about the company's profits, or our own savings?

That is the thing about shills, they care a lot about the profits of a company over their best interest.

I'm glad you finally admit to being a shill 😇

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

43891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43891 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Triggered again. 😂

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

How is that any of the consumer's concern? Is it our job to worry about the company's profits, or our own savings?

That is the thing about shills, they care a lot about the profits of a company over their best interest.

Every time we are about to get new consoles I see this kind of behavior everywhere, and I always wonder how much these posters are getting paid to do corp work.

@fastnslowww said:

Bunch of crying babies..........i won't even bother. Tho i will say that what sony is doing isn't anti consumer, people just expect too much for too little. Expecially because of what desperate MS is doing...it isn't going to pay off, trust me.

That's about the last thing I'd ever do, no offense.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

43891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#32 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 43891 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

Every time we are about to get new consoles I see this kind of behavior everywhere, and I always wonder how much these posters are getting paid to do corp work.

They don't get paid. The gaming industry has foster this stupid behavior for decades now. Even journalist participate and perpetuate the nonsense.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#33 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

I bet shortly after launch, Sony will announce PS5 versions of TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima for the low low price of $70 each. :D

@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

Every time we are about to get new consoles I see this kind of behavior everywhere, and I always wonder how much these posters are getting paid to do corp work.

They don't get paid. The gaming industry has foster this stupid behavior for decades now. Even journalist participate and perpetuate the nonsense.

At least it's entertaining. :P

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

4158

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#34 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4158 Posts

I can't believe some are defending this horseshit.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

9465

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#35 sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 9465 Posts

Sony is very anti consumer when compared to recent Xbox moves. Spiderman sold a damn lot and that profit could easily cover a team to do a free upgrade but nope, lets lock this game to a premium edition of an Expansion that will come to PS4 as well. These Japanese company like Sony and Nintendo sure is greedy.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
Daredevils2k

2738

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36  Edited By Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2738 Posts

I feel Sony should charge 10 bucks (free is better ) for people (like myself) who own Spiderman to be able to upgrade. No way I"m going to spend 70 bucks for a game that I've already own.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

14021

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14021 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

I feel Sony should charge 10 bucks (free is better ) for people (like myself) who own Spiderman to be able to upgrade. No way I"m going to spend 70 bucks for a game that I've already own.

You own Miles Morales?

Avatar image for daredevils2k
Daredevils2k

2738

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2738 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@daredevils2k said:

I feel Sony should charge 10 bucks (free is better ) for people (like myself) who own Spiderman to be able to upgrade. No way I"m going to spend 70 bucks for a game that I've already own.

You own Miles Morales?

nope, but in order for me to play the newer version of Spiderman , I have to fork 70 bucks, when I already forked over 60 for the same exact game. Look if MM can be bought on the PS4 and upgraded to the PS5 for free, then what is stopping Spider*man from doing the same?

We all know I"m a die hard cow, but I'm not going to defend something that I feel is anti consumer.

Avatar image for eoten
Eoten

1665

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#39 Eoten  Online
Member since 2020 • 1665 Posts

@louixiii said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Xbots are like Biden supporters at this point.

More like Trump supporters lol

[In Trump's Voice]

"We have no games...but we don't need any because Sony will go away in a few months and no one will notice"

"Playstations are a hoax. They're fake news"

"Who needs exclusives when we horsepower. We have the horsepower"

Months Later...

"Only 200K American's have purchased an Xbox One. Those are great numbers... We're doing a wonderful job"

You got triggered.

Avatar image for sealionact
sealionact

6282

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#40 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6282 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@tormentos said:

@briguyb13:

Both are been anticonsumer, MS hiding free to play games behind a paywall is not pro consumer,neither is selling a over priced proprietary drive or not including a damn pair of rechargeable batteries in 2020.

Not to mention PS now allow you to play online free, gamepass requires ultimate for that which is more expensive.

Wait, what?

Welcome to the fantasy world of the cud loving bovines.

Avatar image for hitmanactual
HitmanActual

1252

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#41 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1252 Posts

Haha cows, the System Wars clowns, are showing how clueless some of them are for their daily damage control and meltdowns. What a bunch of losers. MS got some of them shook pretty bad, it's glorious.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

3621

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#42 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3621 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Not going to read it, but can someone bullet their reasons?

Why are you not reading it? Upset on what the article say?

Avatar image for st_monica
St_Monica

158

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#43 St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 158 Posts

Serving top-notch French cuisine at a price that is worth it is not an anti-consumer approach, and selling junk food in bulk with a "food pass" for a monthly fee (which is not so cheap in a long run) is not always a pro-consumer approach.

Avatar image for fastnslowww
FastNslowww

486

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By FastNslowww
Member since 2017 • 486 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@Pedro said:
@briguyb13 said:

How is that any of the consumer's concern? Is it our job to worry about the company's profits, or our own savings?

That is the thing about shills, they care a lot about the profits of a company over their best interest.

Every time we are about to get new consoles I see this kind of behavior everywhere, and I always wonder how much these posters are getting paid to do corp work.

@fastnslowww said:

Bunch of crying babies..........i won't even bother. Tho i will say that what sony is doing isn't anti consumer, people just expect too much for too little. Expecially because of what desperate MS is doing...it isn't going to pay off, trust me.

That's about the last thing I'd ever do, no offense.

Elaborate young man.....

Avatar image for dimebag667
dimebag667

1588

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#45 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1588 Posts

While I do blame Xbox and Sony for conditioning people to think if everything isn't free (or nearly free) that it's a problem, that expectation is ridiculous, and isn't even in the realm of "anti-consumer."

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

4158

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#46 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 4158 Posts

@dimebag667 said:

While I do blame Xbox and Sony for conditioning people to think if everything isn't free (or nearly free) that it's a problem, that expectation is ridiculous, and isn't even in the realm of "anti-consumer."

You're buying a new console. That's $500. Who said its free?

You get a new gpu and expect better performance for FREE because you've already spent money to get the performance boost. I expect the same from consoles (not in every game obviously) because they're essentially pc's now.

Avatar image for BlackShirt20
BlackShirt20

2261

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#47 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2261 Posts

@briguyb13: It’s pretty obvious PS5 customers are getting shafted in a lot of areas. But credit to those cows, they will get in line and do exactly what they are told by Sony.

Jim Ryan is the rat king and all these lil Sony Ponies hold on to his every word. Love seeing Jim lie and I love seeing cows damage control and twist everything for him. I mean, they are excited about being changed $70 for Spider Man again lol.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#48  Edited By briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4907 Posts

@st_monica said:

Serving top-notch French cuisine at a price that is worth it is not an anti-consumer approach, and selling junk food in bulk with a "food pass" for a monthly fee (which is not so cheap in a long run) is not always a pro-consumer approach.

^ And this is exactly the kind of brand loyalty Sony is depending on, right here.

Avatar image for Epak_
Epak_

11130

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#49 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11130 Posts

Yeah I won't be buying enhanced versions of TLOU 2 (which I bought two times already due to delivery issues) and Tsushima just to try them out. Getting the PS5 version of Miles Morales.

Avatar image for wiiboxstation
Wiiboxstation

1599

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#50 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1599 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Biden doesn't have supporters.