IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

The hype is real boys. This is one of the biggest PC gaming innovations in the last 2 decades.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

C'mon, this thing isn't going to make even a dent in NS. But it doesn't matter - I'm very excited for mine

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@ivangrozny: lmao 🤣. I posted this in the other thread already but here's good too. So I don't think Nintendo is in trouble, but I did see a spot where Linus briefly flashed his steam deck with botw running. That is not good news for Nintendo if this can run Nintendo games. It's partly nintendos fault though for releasing such turd console hardware that even something relatively weak like the deck is emulating their games.

Nintendo really needs to pull their shit together. If this is the trend for future portable handheld, nintendos switch 2 can't be so shit that even the deck which is basically a low end pc is emulating the games at better performance settings.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Switch has an OLED screen and is cheaper let that factor in. The button is way better on the switch I mean its over dude.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Where have I heard the "Nintendo is doomed!" line before? And did it ever happen or is it just wishful thinking?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Impressive, still Q1 for me.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Valve can pay all the YouTubers they want for positive press. Ain’t nobody falling for this crap. This POS will sell worst than the Vita.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 680 Posts

Seems fun and exciting, but Nintendo has its own market and consumers and wont be affected by this.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Neat system but I have a feeling that the Switch will be just fine.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I don't see this harming the Switch in any meaningful way. It's a niche system released on a small scale in limited regions.

It'll be fun to play some PC games in handheld. Some other PC games won't work or won't be suited to a handheld. That's a far cry from a dedicated system like the Switch, where games are designed with the controller and portability in mind.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blaznwiipspman1

@mesome713 said:

Valve can pay all the YouTubers they want for positive press. Ain’t nobody falling for this crap. This POS will sell worst than the Vita.

lmao. The deck plays nintendo games though. Its nobodies fault but nintendo for releasing such weak hardware in 2022, that even a low end pc like the deck can easily emulate switch games. Its not a good sign for nintendo, not at all.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: This thing could play every game known to mankind, nobody cares. Valve couldn’t market anything to save their lives.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@mesome713: the deck is $399 for the base version. The switch is $350 for the OLED. The difference in price is small enough at this point that the deck will sell well.

Of course the OLED display is actually the best part of the switch. Just the oled display by itself is enough to put up a fight against the deck. But nintendo really needs to be smarter with the switch 2.

The deck, a non nintendo handheld is playing switch games lol. For $50 more and with better performance. This is a giant slap in the face to Nintendo. They are losing a lot of face and need to get their shit together. Otherwise the deck will wipe the floor with the switch.

Heck, even 3rd party developers won't like this. If the deck can play nintendo games illegally because the switch hardware is so damn weak, then they will stop bringing games over to the switch.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1

The deck can play nintendo games, it has officially become the switch 2. Slap in the face to nintendo. Im sure they will launch lawsuits though. Good luck to them.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

Looks like valve did a great job on the hardware. for a first attempt at a portable PC its not too shabby at all.

I will get one when they are more readily available. I have always loved the idea of such a device and the Deck is the best implementation of it imho. the PC has a boat load of games suitable for a portable.

this is not going to cause the switch any problems though: lets get real here. unlike the switch, the Deck has to sell on its own merits. its a PC. it plays PC games. it competes directly with desktops and laptops (and AYA, GPD and so on). they would be doing well if they sell a few million over the course of its life.

But selling a few million would also be a big success for the deck. in the PC space, a particular PC SKU selling a few million is a good day at the office. the metrics for success in the PC hardware industry are quite different to a console.

I wonder if valve/AMD also make that SOC available to other vendors like GPD though? there are definitely areas where other manufacturers could improve on the deck.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: PC can run switch games as well, and much better then this thing could...so please tell me how that's hurt Nintendo so far and why this would be any different now?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Steam Deck is cool. Not sure why Nintendo would care or be affected though.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

The bit with the guy laying on his side playing it in bed is pretty funny.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Surprised to see @tormentos in this review

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

😄 at PC gamers thinking this will catch up to Switch

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12952 Posts

I give this about a year before it’s dead. I hope to be proven wrong.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

@rmiller365: You may want to avoid using juvenile terms like "Nintendotards" on this forum or anywhere on GameSpot's message board. Let us act like adults, not still act like children.

If Nintendo fans are a "cult," what can we say about Sony or Xbox fans?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

Where the f is @casey-wegner? I must triggeruuuu him

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

People buy Nintendo for the Nintendo exclusives. You're not playing Smash or BotW on that so... I don't see this having any effect on Nintendo.

Now, if Valve actually still made games and they were exclusives to the platform, I think it'd sell better than it will. But there's nothing on that handheld I cannot play on my PC, and I'm sure as shit not going to carry that thing around...

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

Think they should've made it a little weaker , cheaper and smaller.

Then it might've had some impact .

As of right now don't see it taking off.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

@rmiller365 said:

Nah, the children of the world will be drawn to the colorful, cutesy offerings Nintendo has.

Yeah. And other people who likes colorful cutesy things will also be drawn to those offerings. This is... bad?

@rmiller365 said:

It doesn't matter if Steam Deck offers more power, games, features, out of the box than Nintendo's ever done, ever.

No, it doesn't matter, cause if you want to play Nintendo games, you need Nintendo hardware. Unless you're gonna play Nintendo games illegally on your Steam Deck of course.

@rmiller365 said:

It also won't matter if Steam Deck can emulate and run Nintendo's games better than Nintendo.

No, it wont matter, because of the reason above. And a bunch of other reasons, such as portability: The Switch is smaller. Ease of use: Monkeys can operate consoles. Online: How are you gonna play Switch games online on Steam Deck? Cost: It's about twice as much as the Switch.

Steam Deck isn't a Switch. It's a PC. They're very different. It's not hard to understand why a Nintendo fan would want a Switch and not care about the Steam Deck, without resorting to "lol, Nintendo cult derp".

@rmiller365 said:

The Nintendo cult will stay strong and do everything they can to downplay Steam Deck. Just look at basically every thread about Steam Deck since it's announcement. Nintendotards are the only ones I see playing damage control.

And then you went to small forum fanboy bubble-fantasy land. You could check what other people than trolls on gaming forums has to say about it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

SteamDeck does what Nintendont. :P

Anyway, Bait & Switch has nothing to worry about here.... Unfortunately. :P

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Not a switch killer but who is buying this for Nintendo games?

On topic, this just makes me more excited to get my hands on the deck. If he is right about the sad cards loading just as fast as the native memory that is going to be awesome. The controller also seems like a big win.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@onesiphorus: Meh, I don't really care about the sensitivity to words from on a dying forum. Let's just Just call them all what they really are: Brand Bitches.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Regardless of whether this could draw enough market share away from Nintendo to make a dent, you’d have to enough hardware to do so in the first place. Fact is unless you were lucky enough to preorder the Deck when it first open up you’re not getting one for a long time if you want one. Nintendo’s weak, cheaply made Switch is much easier to produce in vast quantities during this chip shortage.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xantufrog  Moderator

@rmiller365: well you should care because we don't allow certain language and it's not fanwars. You know that

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Valve hardware is amazing. Steam Controller, Steam Link, and Valve Index are all incredible designs, built well, and really great in use. I have no doubt the Steam Deck is another great installment in their hardware catalog.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

I really like how easy it is to replace the analog sticks in case they break. Why can't it be this easy on the ps5/x controllers? Oh yea, because they want us to spend $60-70 to buy a new controller. F off.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

The deck can play nintendo games, it has officially become the switch 2. Slap in the face to nintendo. Im sure they will launch lawsuits though. Good luck to them.

A lawsuit against who exactly?...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Impressive,

Most impressive.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Great that Valve seems to have nailed the hardware aspect. That said, it will have as much impact on the Nintendo Switch and Switch sales as the bagel I'm currently eating for breakfast.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#38 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Nothing will ever be the same.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Can this be a legit gaming PC replacement ? i mean, if i want to be a PC gamer will this do the trick? i know this is only steam so it won't have all PC games ever but like i say, if i don't want o spend thousands on a PC, can i use this for a while ?

Anyway .. this one looks great and i feel is a completely different market from the Switch market, i dare to say they don't compete with each other.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
@madsnakehhh said:

Can this be a legit gaming PC replacement ? i mean, if i want to be a PC gamer will this do the trick? i know this is only steam so it won't have all PC games ever but like i say, if i don't want o spend thousands on a PC, can i use this for a while ?

Anyway .. this one looks great and i feel is a completely different market from the Switch market, i dare to say they don't compete with each other.

If you're fine with running games at lower specs and willing to shill out for the extra space when required, seems like it can easily serve the purpose of a decent laptop. Both in terms of games and non-game related apps.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bond007uk

@madsnakehhh said:

I know this is only steam so it won't have all PC games ever but like i say, if i don't want o spend thousands on a PC, can i use this for a while ?

If you buy either the 256 or 512GB model you can install Windows on it, so technically its library can be increased exponentially.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bond007uk

I really, really like this product and the price, even for the 512GB model is excellent. I'm a PC gamer and I could possibly see myself playing some of my games in a mobile fashion. Even if I have to tone down the graphics or reduce the frame rate.

I would be far more interested in using such a machine to play retro games though.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@xantufrog: Sorry dude, I know that, and I still don't care. No worries though, I have a perfect solution to save the virgin ears and easily offended from my blasphemy on this sinking ship while still doing what I want.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
@deactivated-620299e29a26a said:

@xantufrog: Sorry dude, I know that, and I still don't care. No worries though, I have a perfect solution to save the virgin ears and easily offended from my blasphemy on this sinking ship while still doing what I want.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck at your new haunt flogging Nintendo players

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@madsnakehhh said:

If you're fine with running games at lower specs and willing to shill out for the extra space when required, seems like it can easily serve the purpose of a decent laptop. Both in terms of games and non-game related apps.

Yikes ... i was hoping for something more "mid rangie", i mean i don't usually play AAA games but the ones i want, won't be easy on the visuals.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uninspiredcup
@madsnakehhh said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@madsnakehhh said:

Yikes ... i was hoping for something more "mid rangie", i mean i don't usually play AAA games but the ones i want, won't be easy on the visuals.

It's designed for handheld, in this regard nothing touches it and it will play games significantly more demanding than the Switch.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

@x_hedon said:

It can't die that easily. It's a PC.

So lets say worst case scenario: It sells nothing, Valve jump ship in a year, no more steam OS updates or anything.

...so what? its a PC, not a console. Install windows or another Linux distro on it and play away. On the linux side the drivers will continue to be included for a long long time (its an RDNA2 GPU and Zen 2 CPU). chances are standard radeon drivers will also work with it on windows.

its not like it needs special Steam Deck builds of games. it just plays PC games.

The other upside of this: say you buy a Deck and buy a whole bunch of games on steam. 5 years from now your deck craps out and Valve stopped making them. but you really like the portable nature of the deck. are you screwed? nope: buy another similar device from GPD or AYA or some other company, log back into steam and all your games will be sitting pretty ready to be downloaded again.

Anyone want to say they are confident Nintendo will carry eStore purchases over from the Switch to the switch 2? their track record in that regard is not great.

i would have far more confidence buying a deck than, say, a new Sony handheld. No matter what, the deck will continue to get games and the games you get for it will not be lost if the deck dies.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12952 Posts

@osan0 said:
@x_hedon said:

It can't die that easily. It's a PC.

So lets say worst case scenario: It sells nothing, Valve jump ship in a year, no more steam OS updates or anything.

...so what? its a PC, not a console. Install windows or another Linux distro on it and play away. On the linux side the drivers will continue to be included for a long long time (its an RDNA2 GPU and Zen 2 CPU). chances are standard radeon drivers will also work with it on windows.

its not like it needs special Steam Deck builds of games. it just plays PC games.

The other upside of this: say you buy a Deck and buy a whole bunch of games on steam. 5 years from now your deck craps out and Valve stopped making them. but you really like the portable nature of the deck. are you screwed? nope: buy another similar device from GPD or AYA or some other company, log back into steam and all your games will be sitting pretty ready to be downloaded again.

Anyone want to say they are confident Nintendo will carry eStore purchases over from the Switch to the switch 2? their track record in that regard is not great.

i would have far more confidence buying a deck than, say, a new Sony handheld. No matter what, the deck will continue to get games and the games you get for it will not be lost if the deck dies.

So it will appeal to hardcore only. Casuals will not just "install Windows or a Linux OS".

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

PC gamers are in conflict with themselves more specifically the braggers. Most of the folks bragging about the advantages of PC gaming is performance and now we have a device that goes counter to that. The performance is mediocre. It is not mediocre for a handheld but it is mediocre when compared to the ultra powerful PC setups which is the usual and commonly referenced setup when talking about PC gaming. It would be interesting to see whether it succeeds or fails. It does have a better chance than the abysmal and overhyped Steambox; that was an age of pure irony, because it is standardized hardware. This also goes counter to PC gaming since consoles are blasted for the same reason.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@Pedro: it definitely exposes the reality of PC gaming - that it's not monolithic and there isn't a "we" in many cases. What makes it enjoyable to one gamer may be very different from another. Really only united by the fact that the platform works for us. On SW we tend to get a very narrow lens on it from a vocal minority