FINAL ROUND: Nintendo DS vs PSP (It's Time To Decide!!!)

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So now that the dust seems to be settling on the first real handheld war, I think it's a fair time to ask: which handheld ultimately emerged victorious? Which one was better?

The contest isn't as one sided now as it used to be a few years ago. Back then, the DS was absolutely dominating, in every possible way, most importantly in terms of the quality and quantity of games. However, in the last couple of years, the PSP has amassed an impressive library of its own, and can at least seem like a reasonable contender in the handheld market.

As far as stuff like sales and technology go, there's no real point arguing since we have clear winners in those two fields (the DS in the first, the PSP in the second). So let's just do a final opinion call: overall, which handheld do you think was better? The DS? Or the PSP?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Personally, I vote for the DS. The PSP was an awesome handheld, but the DS still had just too mahy great games... Pokemon Diamond/Pear, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Pokemon Black/White, Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Quest IX, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, FInal Fantasy: 4 Warriors of Light, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Advance Wars: Day of Ruin, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, New Super Mario Bros., Metroid Prime: Hunters, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Castlevania: Order of Eclescia, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Mario Kart DS, Contra 4, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, The World Ends With You, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Okamiden, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn... ... whoo, and I'm not even halfway through. Truly, the DS was a great, great, GREAT system.
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts
The DS. Dang, I hate to agree with you, charizard, but the DS it is :P
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

The DS has a slight edge for me as the amount of hours I've put into it is much greater than that of my PSP. However the PSP has some great games which have taken up a lot of my time. So I guess the DS for me but its really close to being 50/50.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Nintendo DS wins.

FATALITY! :P

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I have owned both, still own my DS and I enjoyed the DS more. It's my favourite handheld of all time.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
The PSP is a good system but i like more the Nintendo DS XL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I have owned both, still own my DS and I enjoyed the DS more. It's my favourite handheld of all time.SaltyMeatballs
Amen to that. In fact, it's one of my favorite systems of all time period.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

PSP doesn't have pixelated graphics so it wins by default.

j/k :P

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I own both. The DS was solid, but the only games I really put time into were mario kart and mario 64. The PSP didn't destroy it in terms of play time, but the fact that it really did do so much more made my decision not very difficult.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

DS. Its no contest for me because I didn't own a PSP

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I have owned both, still own my DS and I enjoyed the DS more. It's my favourite handheld of all time.charizard1605

It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]I have owned both, still own my DS and I enjoyed the DS more. It's my favourite handheld of all time.SaltyMeatballs

It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.

It had the quality of an N64 and the quantity of an SNES. It was just perfect, like the PS2 of handhelds. I don't think we'll get anything like it ever again. I'm still playing mine regularly too. Just restarted Spirit Tracks, and I plan on going through Unwound Future and Golden Sun after that.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Amen to that. In fact, it's one of my favorite systems of all time period.

It had the quality of an N64 and the quantity of an SNES. It was just perfect, like the PS2 of handhelds. I don't think we'll get anything like it ever again. I'm still playing mine regularly too. Just restarted Spirit Tracks, and I plan on going through Unwound Future and Golden Sun after that.

The PS2 of handhelds? Mark Bussler at CGR said the same thing. :P
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Amen to that. In fact, it's one of my favorite systems of all time period.

Very true, you can play all the games you want, but you're never done with the system. There is always something else! Speaking of PS2, NDS is likely to surpass it in sales. We will probably find out at E3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.

The PS2 of handhelds? Mark Bussler at CGR said the same thing. :P

:P Well, that's because it is. Seriously, when I think back to 2004 and how sceptical I was of the DS, I am astonished at how it eventually turned out. Gives me hope for the 3DS, actually...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.

Very true, you can play all the games you want, but you're never done with the system. There is always something else! Speaking of PS2, NDS is likely to surpass it in sales. We will probably find out at E3.

Yes, just too many friggin good games... :x And yeah, I think it should, last I checked, the DS stood at 148 million units sold worldwide, the PS2 at 150 million. Just the sales boost that the DS got from the release of Pokemon Black and White should have been enough to push it over 150 million. But you're right, we'll see soon enough.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

Oh, speaking of DS. I recently got the UK version of Sonic Classic Collection, which plays on my US NDS Lite just fine.

And it'll play on ANY 3DS (because Nintendo only locked 3DS games it seems), which I don't own yet, but I know that due to research.

EDIT: Okay, maybe not on 3DS, as it seems it's DSi Enhanced (seriously Nintendo, tell us these things). My bad, I made a mistake.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

DS for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Oh, speaking of DS. I recently got the UK version of Sonic Classic Collection, which plays on my US NDS Lite just fine.

And it'll play on ANY 3DS (because Nintendo only locked 3DS games it seems), which I don't own yet, but I know that due to research.

nintendoboy16
Yeah, no region locking was another huge plus under the DS's belt. Dang, I hope they lift that stupid restriction from the 3DS son. And you're right- even on a 3DS, only region locking on DSi (exclusive and enhanced) and 3DS games will be enforced, since there was no region specific coding in DS games.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

ds simply because it had the better games for me

I felt like my psp was good for using the psn classics and playing them on handhelds like xenogears but the lineup to me was pretty poor

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Early this generation 2004~2006/7 DS late this generation 2007~2011 PSP but my vote goes to PSP because I enjoyed it more :P.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
I'll vote PSP for more addictive games and more media capabilities. My fav handheld game of this gen is GTA LCS, followed by a tie between Dissidia, Black, and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. But if you held me at gunpoint, then Castlevanis DoS is my second fav of this gen.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Amen to that. In fact, it's one of my favorite systems of all time period.charizard1605

It had the quality of an N64 and the quantity of an SNES.

Excuse me for being a nitpicker but there is a fundamental difference between DS and N64 graphics - N64 had smooth textures. Also the N64 could access up to 8 MB RAM whereas DS could use only 4 MB for games and there are some other differences. Even though the DSi had supped up hardware it was never really used for the games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.nameless12345

Excuse me for being a nitpicker but there is a fundamental difference between DS and N64 graphics - N64 had smooth textures. Also the N64 could access up to 8 MB RAM whereas DS could use only 4 MB for games and there are some other differences. Even though the DSi had supped up hardware it was never really used for the games.

Oh yes, I know all that. I'm talking more about the staggering quality overall (and not just graphically) that N64 titles exhibited (that makes them such fondly remembered cIassics even today) that DS titles also exhibit. I was also referring to the multitude of such good games that the DS got, by invoking the SNES. I wasn't comparing the system to any of the consoles on a technical level, I assure you :)
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

DAT DS.

Even though the GBA was way better. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

DarkLink77
No it wasn't, and you know that 8)
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaltyMeatballs

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] It was kind of like a SNES and N64 blended together with dual screens. I don't know man, it just felt special. DS Lite looked sleek, played beautiful 2D games which I love. I still play it regularly.nameless12345

Sure, hardware is different. But we have to take in the fact that the developers are a lot more talented on the technical side of things these days.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

charizard1605

I know nothing of the sort. The GBA was much better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

No, no, no! It simply did not have enough games to compete with the DS which has too many to even list! Also, Pokemon on the GBA sucked, while Pokemon on the DS is bloody awesome.
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
I own both, the PSP is a great system but overall I've had more fun with my DS.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] No it wasn't, and you know that 8)

No, no, no! It simply did not have enough games to compete with the DS which has too many to even list! Also, Pokemon on the GBA sucked, while Pokemon on the DS is bloody awesome.

The DS just has a bunch of ports, remakes, and inferior installments of games best suited to consoles (Zelda). The GBA kicks its butt. Also, Pokemon hasn't been good since Gold and Silver. Ruby and Sapphire sucked, and Black and White was a poor excuse for the reboot the series desperately needed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I know nothing of the sort. The GBA was much better.

The DS just has a bunch of ports, remakes, and inferior installments of games best suited to consoles (Zelda). The GBA kicks its butt. Also, Pokemon hasn't been good since Gold and Silver. Ruby and Sapphire sucked, and Black and White was a poor excuse for the reboot the series desperately needed.

No, it also had some wickedly fin and unique games like The World Ends With You, Phantom Hourglass (don't hate on it!), Devil Survivor, Ninja Gaiden, Mario Kart DS, Bowser's Inside Story, and more! And come on, Pokemon Black and White was AWESOME. Best Pokemon games ever. Have you played them?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] No, no, no! It simply did not have enough games to compete with the DS which has too many to even list! Also, Pokemon on the GBA sucked, while Pokemon on the DS is bloody awesome.charizard1605

No, it also had some wickedly fin and unique games like The World Ends With You, Phantom Hourglass (don't hate on it!), Devil Survivor, Ninja Gaiden, Mario Kart DS, Bowser's Inside Story, and more! And come on, Pokemon Black and White was AWESOME. Best Pokemon games ever. Have you played them?

Mario Kart? Better on Wii. Ninja Gaiden? Better on Xbox/PS3. You just keep proving my point!

Nope. I'm just not interested in Pokemon anymore. My roommate, however, who is in love with the series, told me they weren't that great, and if a fanboy of his caliber doesn't love them, well....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] The DS just has a bunch of ports, remakes, and inferior installments of games best suited to consoles (Zelda). The GBA kicks its butt. Also, Pokemon hasn't been good since Gold and Silver. Ruby and Sapphire sucked, and Black and White was a poor excuse for the reboot the series desperately needed.DarkLink77

Mario Kart? Better on Wii. Ninja Gaiden? Better on Xbox/PS3. You just keep proving my point!

Nope. I'm just not interested in Pokemon anymore. My roommate, however, who is in love with the series, told me they weren't that great, and if a fanboy of his caliber doesn't love them, well....

Mario Kart Wii was NOT better than Mario Kart DS, geez. And Dragon Sword wasn't supposed to be anything like the console instalments, and that *was* the point! And Black and White are awesome... almost everyone else who's played them finds them incredible, everybody else can't be wrong you know. You really should try it out, you're bound to like them.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] No, it also had some wickedly fin and unique games like The World Ends With You, Phantom Hourglass (don't hate on it!), Devil Survivor, Ninja Gaiden, Mario Kart DS, Bowser's Inside Story, and more! And come on, Pokemon Black and White was AWESOME. Best Pokemon games ever. Have you played them?charizard1605

Mario Kart Wii was NOT better than Mario Kart DS, geez. And Dragon Sword wasn't supposed to be anything like the console instalments, and that *was* the point! And Black and White are awesome... almost everyone else who's played them finds them incredible, everybody else can't be wrong you know. You really should try it out, you're bound to like them.

So you say. GBA forever! Which is why they didn't score that well, amirite? :P Seriously, though, I'm done with Pokemon. Ruby and Sapphire killed it for me.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
DS was the clear winner
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Ok heres the thing... If you had asked me 2 years ago I would have said DS hands down... but in that time I think the psp has gotten a lot better. I mean other than pokemon there has been nothing on the DS in the past like 2 and 1/2 years when I think most of the PSP's best stuff has come out in that time. So I'd say PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Mario Kart? Better on Wii. Ninja Gaiden? Better on Xbox/PS3. You just keep proving my point!

DarkLink77

So you say. GBA forever! Which is why they didn't score that well, amirite? :P Seriously, though, I'm done with Pokemon. Ruby and Sapphire killed it for me.

Pfft, you're just ignorant.

And hey, it holds the highest Metascore for any Pokemon game ever, what are you talking about? :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Ok heres the thing... If you had asked me 2 years ago I would have said DS hands down... but in that time I think the psp has gotten a lot better. I mean other than pokemon there has been nothing on the DS in the past like 2 and 1/2 years when I think most of the PSP's best stuff has come out in that time. So I'd say PSP

VendettaRed07
Whereas I won't argue with your opinion about the PSP being better, I will disagree that the DS got nothing in the last two years... it got two Pokemon games, two Scribblenauts, Sonic Colors, Okamiden, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Ghost Trick, 999, Dragon Quest V, Dragon Quest VI, Dragon Qyest IX, Final Fantasy: 4 Warriors of Light, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn... in other words, it got quite a substantial amount of great games in this period.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

Neither, they both sucked imo. Now GBA... She's like that sexy cheerleader you dated back in high school, but now you're stuck with this wife that keeps nagging... (3DS).:|

GIVE ME MORE BATTERY!

GIVE ME MORE GAMES!

..... AHHH!!!:cry:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Neither, they both sucked imo. Now GBA... She's like that sexy cheerleader you dated back in high school, but now you're stuck with this wife that keeps nagging... (3DS).:|

GIVE ME MORE BATTERY!

GIVE MY MORE GAMES!

..... AHHH!!!:cry:

sanim02

That sexy cheerleader never so much as looked at me... :x

And yes, the 3DS needs some games. Fast. Thankfully, Zelda, Mario, Paper Mario, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Nano Warrior, Assassin's Creed, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid and Sonic Generations are all due this year.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Mario Kart Wii was NOT better than Mario Kart DS, geez. And Dragon Sword wasn't supposed to be anything like the console instalments, and that *was* the point! And Black and White are awesome... almost everyone else who's played them finds them incredible, everybody else can't be wrong you know. You really should try it out, you're bound to like them.charizard1605

And hey, it holds the highest Metascore for any Pokemon game ever, what are you talking about? :P

Nah, a lot of the DS's library just doesn't interest me. Maybe I'll ask you for recommendations sometime. Pokemon excluded, of course. :P Well, that's obviously wrong. That should go to the originals or Gold and Silver. Silly critics.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I know nothing of the sort. The GBA was much better. DarkLink77

And what of the GBA and it's dozens of SNES ports ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] So you say. GBA forever! Which is why they didn't score that well, amirite? :P Seriously, though, I'm done with Pokemon. Ruby and Sapphire killed it for me.DarkLink77

Nah, a lot of the DS's library just doesn't interest me. Maybe I'll ask you for recommendations sometime. Pokemon excluded, of course. :P Well, that's obviously wrong. That should go to the originals or Gold and Silver. Silly critics.

Argh, okay, okay. Let's just agree to disagree on Pokemon :x And sure, I'd be happy to serve up a list of several dozen titles you should play anytime :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I believe I beat ya to this awhile ago, and yeah...the DS came out on top :P Why? probably has something to do with one of the best libraries ever
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#48 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I love the DS so I'll go with DS.

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yo-gan

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] The DS just has a bunch of ports, remakes, and inferior installments of games best suited to consoles (Zelda). The GBA kicks its butt. Also, Pokemon hasn't been good since Gold and Silver. Ruby and Sapphire sucked, and Black and White was a poor excuse for the reboot the series desperately needed.DarkLink77

Not a chance, mario kart wii had its up points, bit it was the worst mariokart game to date, they removed power boosting to make it idiot friendly (they had a similar approach to smash bros brawl) and dont get me started on how they defiled battle mode. It used to be one of the best parts of mario kart, mario kart wii dropped the ball big time. This is coming from a long time nintendo/mariokart fan, I just hope they don't ruin the next mario kart/ smash bros.
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Yo-gan

Also of course ninja gaiden was gonna bet better on the 360/PS3, the Ds wasn't in the same league of power to complete with the same gaming experience. And just because your "fanboy" room mate doesn't like pokemon black/white, doesn't mean their bad games. Try them for yourself, I plan on doing the same before I make my judgement.