Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts

Some good news out there for people looking for a more traditional FFVII gameplay for the remake.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865479/final-fantasy-7-remake-classic-mode-turn-based-option-tgs-2019

I'm a fan of the old system but I'll certainly give the new one a whirl.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44202 Posts

That’s awesome that they put this option in for players. I love turn based combat and will no doubt try both modes of play. Square-Enix is going all out with this remake and I love it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

Interesting.

Need more details.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I don’t like the “the character fights automatically” bit. Sounds to me like it’s less of a turn-based mode and more of an auto mode. Need more details and to see it in action.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17660 Posts

@Ibacai said:

I don’t like the “the character fights automatically” bit. Sounds to me like it’s less of a turn-based mode and more of an auto mode. Need more details and to see it in action.

Agreed, this is promising but I need to see it in action before I make any judgements. From what it sounds like the characters will run around doing their own thing in real-time as the player just waits to give commands. To make it like the old game would necessitate an entire restructuring of the combat, and I doubt that's what they've done.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

That could be good, if it is more like the original. I missed out on the original but I really don't like FFXV's combat. So maybe this will be the best option for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Nice. I'll look forward to this when the complete edition lands on Steam.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

Like Ibacai said, it seems more like an auto mode. Not a bad thing, and definitely an attempt to find the middle ground, but i'll wait and see before getting hyped.

@KungfuKitten said:

That could be good, if it is more like the original. I missed out on the original but I really don't like FFXV's combat. So maybe this will be the best option for me.

If you have even a old-ass computer, you can try the original with the Remako mod. The AI enhanced backgrounds are really good in FF9 (I have them installed,) and FF7 seems to receive the same benefits.

Loading Video...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50564 Posts

Oh thank God.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

I want to play the new way honestly. But it's cool to have options.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56128 Posts

@dagubot said:

At this point, I don't see any reasons buying PS4 games (excluding exclusive purchase) next year not when PS5 arrives and no doubt Final Fantasy VII Remake could be cross-gen but as you said, it's best to wait for the complete edition on Steam. FFVII Remake wasn't even on my radar to begin with.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts

@davillain-: The FF7 Remake will definitely be cross-gen. I fully expect episode 2 onwards to launch on the next gen consoles.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Classic Mode is a joke. It has nothing to do with a turn based game. It is just an AI controlling your character as well and not only your other party members. It's the same game, you just now watch an AI playing the game and probably doing worse than you could. This is still very far away from actually offering us a turn based game.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Fake outrage fanboys scrambling trying to find new things to complain about, poor non-PS4 owning saps.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Meh, I'll just play the new way. This should be called auto/easy mode rather than classic.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts
@boxrekt said:

Fake outrage fanboys scrambling trying to find new things to complain about, poor non-PS4 owning saps.

Hey I own a PS4 (Pro) and I was upset about them having lost the original material for the game, but ok whatever you say.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

@davillain- said:
@dagubot said:

At this point, I don't see any reasons buying PS4 games (excluding exclusive purchase) next year not when PS5 arrives and no doubt Final Fantasy VII Remake could be cross-gen but as you said, it's best to wait for the complete edition on Steam. FFVII Remake wasn't even on my radar to begin with.

Indeed.

Personally I'm trying to hold off on playing all PS4 game until PS5 releases in the hopes they will run better.

I doubt I'll be able to hold off on FF7R cuz FF7 is one of my most-favorite nostalgic games. The music alone will make me play it at launch.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#20 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Good to hear!

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Cool.

Personally, I find most TBC to be annoying as hell. X-Com is one of the few games that does it right.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19553 Posts

If the Classic Mode is something along the lines of FFXII, then that's good enough for me.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9549 Posts

Need to read the article... but NOW WE'RE TALKING. Good to hear. I had almost given up hope of this. My interest just went from above a negative 97 on a 10 scale to an 8.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WitIsWisdom
@ArchoNils2 said:

Classic Mode is a joke. It has nothing to do with a turn based game. It is just an AI controlling your character as well and not only your other party members. It's the same game, you just now watch an AI playing the game and probably doing worse than you could. This is still very far away from actually offering us a turn based game.

Wait really? Ugh... interest back down to a negative 97 again :( Time to go read the article anyways.... classic mode on a classic game should be the classic way the game played... or it isn't classic. That's like taking away Coke Classic reintroducing New Coke again (which nobody liked) and calling it classic... some bs.

--------------------

Edit

... wait, after reading the article it doesn't say anything about what you said. It says the game will be turn based with menus just like the original, so unless I missed something, I'm not real sure what you are talking about and I think you misunderstood what was being said.

For now, hype back up to an 8... lol

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WitIsWisdom
@Ibacai said:

The article was written poorly and difficult to understand, but I believe what they were trying to relay was that after you pick an action that said action is performed automatically without further input, which in turn fills your gauge over time.

However, they could have just said classic turn based and left it at that...

If that ISN'T what was meant, and it is an automatic style where you only control one character then screw that shit... when FF games started going that way (starting in 12), that was the end of my love for the franchise. In my opinion 10 is the last good FF. I am still hoping they return to their roots though...

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: stop spreading nonsense. They showed the classic mode in a TGS demo. All characters play the game normally and you are reduced on using ATB commands. While you are waiting, an AI controls your characters like he controlls the others by moving, defending and evading. So classic mode just takes away your control of a character and reduces your input to the ATB commands.

https://youtu.be/GLicYUXJJEQ at 11:28

He even shows the gamepad and how he isn't pressing anything.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Let’s be honest here, the turn based combat in FF7, would be horrible outdated and simplified if it was released today. It was basically attack or use whatever spell do the most damage... so yeah happy they are ditching that mode to be honest!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@ArchoNils2 said:

@WitIsWisdom: stop spreading nonsense. They showed the classic mode in a TGS demo. All characters play the game normally and you are reduced on using ATB commands. While you are waiting, an AI controls your characters like he controlls the others by moving, defending and evading. So classic mode just takes away your control of a character and reduces your input to the ATB commands.

https://youtu.be/GLicYUXJJEQ at 11:28

He even shows the gamepad and how he isn't pressing anything.

First of all I'm not spreading shit son, I'm just going by what the article said. 2nd off, if that's the way it is, I already said that is trash and that my hype is beyond negative, so I'm not real sure where you are trying to go with this.

If it is auto play like FF12 or anything after that there is no way in hell I am buying the game. I will check that link, which is new to me by the way. My hype for this "remake" is already low, so I'm not scouring every edge of the internet looking for info on it, and I never claimed I was, so how about you calm down and read what I wrote.

____

After watching that part of the video if that is what they are calling "classic" I am not even the least bit interested in this abomination.

However, I don't speak Japanese or read it either for that matter, so I'll wait until I see something in English. Either way, this game is low on my radar anyways so it doesn't really matter to me. I own the original black label that I bought on day one and can play it any time I wish.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2936 Posts

Classic mode or not, the original FF7 was too damn easy, and I am sure that the remake will have the same problem, where 90% of the battles can be completed by pressing a button. I want a combat system as deep and challenging as, say, Persona 5 or Dragon Age Origins, but I am pretty sure that ain't gonna happen. I will get amazing graphics instead.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2936 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: Have you played Final Fantasy 5? Now that is how you make an interesting, deep and challenging battle system. Whoever invented that system should be in charge of the development of Final Fantasy 7 remake. But I guess challenging gameplay doesn't sell. Pretty graphics do.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I might end up playing this one then, I hope they enhance it a bit though to be some a bit like The Last Remnant. Which has the best TBC system so far.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WitIsWisdom

@pmanden: Yes, I own every main installment of FF. My favorite is 9 but I like 5. I don't really care much for the franchise after 10, and everything after 12 is just terrible in my opinion. The MMO isn't bad, but that's a horse of another color.