Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34797 Posts

@x_hedon said:

Best looking game we have on PS4 to date. This game is awesome and looks amazing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56534 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

When you say there are more people playing games with stronger hardware than all of the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Switch, Switch Lite, 3DS and Vita user bases combined, and that all of those players are overly concerned with hardware tech, res and specs in all these console games, I have to question your sources and bearing on reality in general.

Stronger PC isn't the word, (well technically is) its the advantages PC offering you are overlooking. Whenever we have consoles vs PC polls, the results are always going to be PC winning over consoles thus this doesn't help your claim PC gamers are small minority. But really, consoles and PC will always have their place, that's still a known fact. I maybe a PC gamer, I have nothing against consoles, just the fact PC gives me everything I could ask for and its no wonder why PC gamers are all over console gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@davillain- said:
@briguyb13 said:

When you say there are more people playing games with stronger hardware than all of the PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Switch, Switch Lite, 3DS and Vita user bases combined, and that all of those players are overly concerned with hardware tech, res and specs in all these console games, I have to question your sources and bearing on reality in general.

Stronger PC isn't the word, (well technically is) its the advantages PC offering you are overlooking. Whenever we have consoles vs PC polls, the results are always going to be PC winning over consoles thus this doesn't help your claim PC gamers are small minority. But really, consoles and PC will always have their place, that's still a known fact. I maybe a PC gamer, I have nothing against consoles, just the fact PC gives me everything I could ask for and its no wonder why PC gamers are all over console gamers.

I know there are lots of PC players, but I'm saying high end PC players are a minority. People with top of the line hardware, as opposed to PC gamers with lower end rigs, which I know there are a lot of.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

RDR2 on Mighty X1X makes FF ReCashGrab look like a PS2 game. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Jag85 said:

A large majority of gamers are actually mobile and PC users. Unless by "handheld" you're including mobile devices.

But you're right to say that high-end PC users are a small minority of gamers. The vast majority of PC gamers don't have high-end rigs.

This is all fine and everything guys, but...

What does it have to do with the OPs extreme sarcasm being lost on so many?

TC acting like most should know he was being sarcastic about FF VII R being "graphics king" when most are just lower end pc gamers or console or handheld gamers. So naturally only the few elite PC gamers with expensive rigs would be aware of better looking software.

SW posters live in a bubble, and most gamers don't care about highest frame rates, tech shit and what have you, they just want to play fun games. It's always been that way and always will be, where the lowest common denominator is a majority over dedicated users.

That's why it went over so many people's heads, even here. Because the game actually does look like a potential graphics king game to many of us.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

TC acting like most should know he was being sarcastic about FF VII R being "graphics king" when most are just lower end pc gamers or console or handheld gamers. So naturally only the few elite PC gamers with expensive rigs would be aware of better looking software.

Better looking software than the images posted in the OP? Erm, Righto!! Yeah, that's definitely the tippity-top of the PS4's capabilities.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9442 Posts

I don't think we'll see a real fix for this on PS4. I think the main issue is using a 5400rpm hard drive in 2020.

I have a few spare SSDs so I think after I finish my first play through I will try swapping. Still limited to SATA 2, but that's about 3X the speed of a 5400rpm drive.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8512 Posts

@briguyb13 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Why shouldn't I? There are more PCs out there that are powerful than PS4, X1, Pro or X. That hasn't change and will not change. You guys needed to be given a taste of reality because you all pretend that you have Pro/X or even absurd claims of imaginary XSX/PS5. If they are small minority than Console gamers are just a myth.

I never said combined I said the comparable consoles. There are more PC's powerful than X that there are X. There are more PC's powerful than Pro than there are Pro. Same for X1, PS4 or whatever console you want to include. Oh and I don't have to provide numbers. You claimed it, so the onus is on you to proof that it's a small minority.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

@lundy86_4 said:
@briguyb13 said:

Better looking software than the images posted in the OP? Erm, Righto!! Yeah, that's definitely the tippity-top of the PS4's capabilities.

Nobody should put stock in screen captures.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23735 Posts

@briguyb13:

Ah, gotcha. I mean at least I get where you're coming from with that comment now.

That being said, wasn't even factoring in PC as there are console games that are consistently better looking. Not denying that FFVIIR is a a real looker when everything comes together right. Just that between the topic title and the images, the sarcasm seemed dead obvious, even if only compared to other console games.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The textures are really, really poor at times, wonder why, still diggin' the game though.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

TC acting like most should know he was being sarcastic about FF VII R being "graphics king"

Thought the shitty screenshot were a dead giveaway lol. They look terrible stacked up against every decent looking AAA game even on consoles. No need for a top-tier PC to beat those screens.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lundy86_4

@briguyb13 said:

Nobody should put stock in screen captures.

In this case, why not? It's a noted problem... I have no idea how you didn't take that post as sarcasm.

@Juub1990 said:

Thought the shitty screenshot were a dead giveaway lol. They look terrible stacked up against every decent looking AAA game even on consoles. No need for a top-tier PC to beat those screens.

It was an absolute giveaway. The sarcasm was very clear lol.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

This is a game engine problem, not hardware. Maybe if the PS4 had support for a 4GB/s SSD it would help with the problem, but I doubt it would solve it completely. GTA5 can stream textures in a whole world with nice details, but the Unreal engine can't stream in textures in a small town with a few NPC's in it?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17700 Posts

The occasional texture issues don't really bother me as much as the disparity between the degree of fidelity accorded to the main characters as opposed to the NPCs. It's pretty glaring, and stems from a decision on eschewing more of an anime stylization and moving towards a more realistic approach. I think what would've been better for a remake would've been adhering to a more faithful 3D recreation of the original concept art:

Halfway between chibi and realistic, to then base everything around that style. To go to such a degree of realism in the characters necessitates parity with everything that surrounds them at all times, which increases the workload, and makes contrasts all the more problematic and apparent.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#66 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58542 Posts

@davillain- said:
@briguyb13 said:

I may be a PC gamer, I have nothing against consoles, just the fact PC gives me everything I could ask for and its no wonder why PC gamers are all over console gamers.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. Console, PC, mobile...doesn't matter as long as we are all having fun with video games. But when you start talking shit, expect there to be some shit.

Maybe another way to say is that PC does not start the fight, but it sure as hell finishes it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58542 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

It's Japanese game, what did you expect? Outside of Capcom most Japanese devs are technically incompetent.

I wish this were not true, but sadly I feel it is.

Japanese art direction is pretty creative and great in many fields (art, cinema, comics, and games), I wish more developers had the technical aptitude to execute their vision to the fullest extent.

I'd be curious to see just how much of the console's overall power is being used on Japanese games. How far it is pushing the hardware.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#68 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Jag85 said:
@briguyb13 said:
@Juub1990 said:

I’m surprised the sarcasm went over so many people’s heads.

The reason why is because you high end PC guys are a very small minority in the worlds of gaming. A large majority of gamers are console and handheld users.

And also because people hate elitists who hate on and stick their noses up at just about everything and pixel count.

A large majority of gamers are actually mobile and PC users. Unless by "handheld" you're including mobile devices.

But you're right to say that high-end PC users are a small minority of gamers. The vast majority of PC gamers don't have high-end rigs.

This is all fine and everything guys, but...

What does it have to do with the OPs extreme sarcasm being lost on so many?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

I was addressing briguyb13, not Juub1990.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By PC_Rocks

@mrbojangles25 said:
@pc_rocks said:

It's Japanese game, what did you expect? Outside of Capcom most Japanese devs are technically incompetent.

I wish this were not true, but sadly I feel it is.

Japanese art direction is pretty creative and great in many fields (art, cinema, comics, and games), I wish more developers had the technical aptitude to execute their vision to the fullest extent.

I'd be curious to see just how much of the console's overall power is being used on Japanese games. How far it is pushing the hardware.

Oh for sure! I'm not playing down or hating on Japan at all. I would take Japanese gameplay over the vast majority of western games but after PS2 Japan's game technology is severely lagging behind. Don't know what caused it but here we are.

What I heard from many people is that ironically most people in Japan just wants to work in games industry and not in other fields of computer science so that eventually led to less exposure and growth in general.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Dont know but Tifa is cute in this game.

This was make or break for 99% of 4chan.

Wish that was a joke.

Tifa is cute af

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Very inconsistent graphics. At worst it looks like a PS2 game at best it could pass for PS5 launch title :p

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

If it's a texture streaming issue, I wonder if playing it on a SSD makes these issues go away (even if you just have a typical 1TB SSD in your PS4, but of course also the PS5 with it's much faster loading SSD).

I'll probably wait to play this game until I have a PS5.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lundy86_4

@2Chalupas said:

If it's a texture streaming issue, I wonder if playing it on a SSD makes these issues go away (even if you just have a typical 1TB SSD in your PS4, but of course also the PS5 with it's much faster loading SSD).

I'll probably wait to play this game until I have a PS5.

Apparently not that big of a difference according to DF. They had a colleague test it on a new model Pro with an SSD.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7345 Posts

and they say the ssd will not help make these games look better. and yet the pop ins and loss of textures ect. is a harddrive problem. there to much to load at the same time. imagine this game with a ssd behind it. no more texture problems.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By lundy86_4

@gifford38: Read what I said right above you. An SSD makes marginal difference with this issue.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7345 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@gifford38: Read what I said right above you. An SSD makes marginal difference with this issue.

the game is still coded from the harddrive even if you have a ssd it is not optimized for the ssd. if they started that data from the ssd stand point it would be much different. this what most people don't understand this gen when moving to a ssd for these dev's to start from. watch the cerny ps 5 reveal it explains it alot better. game like spiderman having to load all the hundreds of fire hydrants on the entire map just to play one block at a time.

these games today are still coded for a harddrive so the ssd just speeds that code faster. now take a ssd from start there is no looking for this or that it just streams. the harddrive has to look for say a game like spiderman all the fire hydrants on the whole map but only loads one block at a time leaving those hydrants that is not needed at that time floating. but with ssd it only has to load ten hydrants on that block. so hard to explain in words. mark did so much better.

this is also why dev's asked for ssd in our consoles more than just power. harddrive is limiting them on how they need to code the game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Jag85
@pc_rocks said:

Oh for sure! I'm not playing down or hating on Japan at all. I would take Japanese gameplay over the vast majority of western games but after PS2 Japan's game technology is severely lagging behind. Don't know what caused it but here we are.

What I heard from many people is that ironically most people in Japan just wants to work in games industry and not in other fields of computer science so that eventually led to less exposure and growth in general.

Like most Asian societies, Japanese society generally values technical professions (e.g. science and engineering) far more highly than creative professions (e.g. cinema and games). Most Japanese would much rather work in a respectable profession like computer science than a not-so-respectable profession like video games. So there's no issue there.

The real issue is the language barrier. Most Japanese either can't speak English, or their understanding of English is very basic. Yet much of the world's cutting-edge technical resources are in the English language. If you can't speak or read English, you lose access to all those cutting-edge English resources. If you just rely on translations (like most Japanese), it takes time to translate those resources into the local language, by which time you just end up lagging behind.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

@lundy86_4: an SSD on a next gen console with higher available bandwidth will help fix this issue. But on a PS4 where the max available bandwidth from the drive is still only 100MB/s no matter what drive you use, it won't help much. But I can assume the devs didn't copy enough assets on the drive to keep the HDD read speeds at max, most games does this. FF7 is proof that going for a fast SSD next gen was a right call, it will remove a lot of work for devs, and games will take up less space on the drive , at least before they add the higher quality textures.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:

Like most Asian societies, Japanese society generally values technical professions (e.g. science and engineering) far more highly than creative professions (e.g. cinema and games). Most Japanese would much rather work in a respectable profession like computer science than a not-so-respectable profession like video games. So there's no issue there.

The real issue is the language barrier. Most Japanese either can't speak English, or their understanding of English is very basic. Yet much of the world's cutting-edge technical resources are in the English language. If you can't speak or read English, you lose access to all those cutting-edge English resources. If you just rely on translations (like most Japanese), it takes time to translate those resources into the local language, by which time you just end up lagging behind.

Well, I heard the complete opposite when I had a couple of job offers in Japan and asked around. I was told that if I'm not working in a game company I won't be considered as cool or the overall exposure and growth won't be that much as most software engineers just want to work in gaming industry.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jag85
@pc_rocks said:

Well, I heard the complete opposite when I had a couple of job offers in Japan and asked around. I was told that if I'm not working in a game company I won't be considered as cool or the overall exposure and growth won't be that much as most software engineers just want to work in gaming industry.

I would find that quite surprising, as it's not consistent with what I've heard from people who've lived in Japan (e.g. what I mentioned in my previous post).

Being a mature gamer is more socially frowned upon in Japan than in the West. Despite the average age of the Japanese population being the highest in the world (49 years old), the average age of Japanese gamers is just 27 years old, lower than Western countries like the US, where the average gamer age is 37 years old.

So how can game development be such a respectable profession in Japan if being a mature gamer is socially frowned upon there? That doesn't quite add up.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#81 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13126 Posts

@Guy_Brohski said:

@x_hedon: The game's low res textures are either a bug or the game is unfinished. That is the issue. You can pretend to not notice the muddy textures all you want..

Game looks amazing on my PS4 Pro. No pretending here. Not sure why you are trolling?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Juub1990
@x_hedon said:

Game looks amazing on my PS4 Pro. No pretending here. Not sure why you are trolling?

Are you? Because the texture problem is well documented.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 KvallyX

@Juub1990 said:
@x_hedon said:

Are you? Because the texture problem is well documented.

Game looks amazing on my PS4 Pro. You have an issue with that?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Juub1990
@x_hedon said:

I don't care what it looks like on your Pro. The game has a documented texture streaming problems and some textures not loading up at all. No one gives a shit what your personal experience is. And you're asking if people are trolls.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PC_Rocks

@Jag85 said:
@pc_rocks said:

I would find that quite surprising, as it's not consistent with what I've heard from people who've lived in Japan (e.g. what I mentioned in my previous post).

Being a mature gamer is more socially frowned upon in Japan than in the West. Despite the average age of the Japanese population being the highest in the world (49 years old), the average age of Japanese gamers is just 27 years old, lower than Western countries like the US, where the average gamer age is 37 years old.

So how can game development be such a respectable profession in Japan if being a mature gamer is socially frowned upon there? That doesn't quite add up.

I don't know but these are the things I found on StackExchange, Quora and even Glassdoor. The responders were all expats or ex-expats in Japan so I think I would have felt the same. The unanimous consensus was if you have a respected job in west and money is not a sole motivator then don't come here unless you're a die-hard fan of Japanese culture.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 KvallyX

@Juub1990 said:
@x_hedon said:

I don't care what it looks like on your Pro. The game has a documented texture streaming problems and some textures not loading up at all. No one gives a shit what your personal experience is. And you're asking if people are trolls.

Holy shit, you are triggered. The game looks great on my PS4 Pro. If you don't give a shit, then WHY IN THE **** are you responding? Calm down dude, it's just plastic.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Juub1990

@x_hedon: You’re the one coming with a "u mad" response then ask if others are trolling.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 KvallyX

@Juub1990 said:

@x_hedon: You’re the one coming with a "u mad" response then ask if others are trolling.

If you say so. I just tire of people trying to tell OTHERS that their experience is NOT correct. There is no good reason for that, other than to troll.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Juub1990

@x_hedon: Nobody told you your experience is not correct. We said there is a known texture problem/bug and your personal experience is irrelevant to that.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 KvallyX

@Juub1990 said:

@x_hedon: Nobody told you your experience is not correct. We said there is a known texture problem/bug and your personal experience is irrelevant to that.

Fine if you feel that way. I am just pointing out how great the game looks. I hope whatever known bugs there are, are fixed for those experiencing them.