Feel like MS's bad decisions are canceling out their good decisions.

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

The Scorpio is a good decision but their lack of risk taking in 1st party/2nd party games is a bad decision. If MS doesn't announce any new games at E3 aside from the usual Halo/Forza stuff, I'm not so sure the Scorpio will be all that exciting.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Quantum Break? Sunset Overdrive? We all know the list.

Why would MS announce anything for Scorpio now before E3? Isn't that what the show is for?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56289 Posts

E3 2017 hasn't even started yet so no point making final judgments on MS until then.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44364 Posts

Or perhaps their good decisions are cancelling out their bad ones.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Yes,they'll obviously just step in at E3,show Scorpio and move out.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'll give them a chance at E3. I don't want to see just games coming out for the next 12 months, though. I need to see them show a strategy for exclusive games and a real direction in terms of games. With both the Switch and PS4 undoubtedly running rich in software, there is real ground for MS to make up for.

Do I think they will? Well, I think this E3 is make or break on that question. CAN they? Never should have been any doubt on the matter. A company that can brag about setting 500 million dollars on fire for NFL content, billion on controller r&d, and God knows what on buying the Minecraft developer should be able to turn around 20-50 million dollar videogame projects like a Pez dispenser.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I'll give them a chance at E3. I don't want to see just games coming out for the next 12 months, though. I need to see them show a strategy for exclusive games and a real direction in terms of games. With both the Switch and PS4 undoubtedly running rich in software, there is real ground for MS to make up for.

Do I think they will? Well, I think this E3 is make or break on that question. CAN they? Never should have been any doubt on the matter. A company that can brag about setting 500 million dollars on fire for NFL content, billion on controller r&d, and God knows what on buying the Minecraft developer should be able to turn around 20-50 million dollar videogame projects like a Pez dispenser.

Exactly E3 is about dream games that are coming down the pipeline 1-2 years down and a steady stream of games what is our xbox one going to be playing 2-3 years out will it be nothing or do they have plans

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the Scorpio is a bad decision. I guess we will see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@metalslimenite said:

Making consoles was a bad decision by Microsoft.

we'd be stuck in Japans horribly behind the times technology and anti-online services if that happened. no thank you.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja

@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

we'd be stuck in Japans horribly behind the times technology and anti-online services if that happened. no thank you.

Eh? Charging for peer-to-peer gaming is a good thing?

Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

Power is the least of MS issues.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Or perhaps their good decisions are cancelling out their bad ones.

Yep... their good decisions are far outweighing their "bad" ones.

@metalslimenite said:

Wow, what a top quality post. (insert eyeroll).

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

He's not wrong.

Hate MS and Xbox all you want, they have been great for gaming.

I can't imagine being stuck in a SONY/Nintendo monopoly.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

We can only wait and see. Microsoft needs to take more chances. Their smaller games don't sell as well so they don't like to go in that direction, but they need a more well rounded library. Not every game is going to be a triple A console seller. I suppose what's going to sell the Scorpio is trying to argue that the Scorpio is the place to play the big 3rd party games like Battlefront and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@metalslimenite said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

It's a good thing that the best games don't need high tech or online services.

Really depends on what your definition of the "the best games" are.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@lilseb93 said:

We can only wait and see. Microsoft needs to take more chances. Their smaller games don't sell as well so they don't like to go in that direction, but they need a more well rounded library. Not every game is going to be a triple A console seller. I suppose what's going to sell the Scorpio is trying to argue that the Scorpio is the place to play the big 3rd party games like Battlefront and Red Dead Redemption 2.

This is a must, and after their flop e3 show of 2013.. you can see why they're really cautious, and slowly winning back fans.

They're in a good spot now with the Scorpio coming out and being very consumer friendly, so hopefully they will start to take more risks.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

Must of been a good idea considering Sony followed suit.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja

@clyde46 said:
@Shewgenja said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

Must of been a good idea considering Sony followed suit.

Good/Profitable. Whatever floats your boat.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lilseb93

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@lilseb93 said:

This is a must, and after their flop e3 show of 2013.. you can see why they're really cautious, and slowly winning back fans.

They're in a good spot now with the Scorpio coming out and being very consumer friendly, so hopefully they will start to take more risks.

Their fanbase also needs to show up and support those risks too though. Microsoft doesn't take those chances because their consumers don't buy them as much. They'll brag about MS getting those games, but then not enough people buy them.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@lilseb93 said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@lilseb93 said:

Their fanbase also needs to show up and support those risks too though. Microsoft doesn't take those chances because their consumers don't buy them as much. They'll brag about MS getting those games, but then not enough people buy them.

The problem with MS is that they seem to base 95% of their decisions on either whatever the board members think "the kids are into" or on focus groups full of teenage boys. Thats why most of their unique first party stuff was dropped in favour of the status quo/COD market.

What MS needs to do is get 3rd party studios now to fill the void, get those studios to create new and different games that will showcase the power of the Scorpio.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

why are people talking as if E3 already happened and microsoft announced nothing? Or are haters just having fun before the hate train ends in june?

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lilseb93

@clyde46 said:
@lilseb93 said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@lilseb93 said:

The problem with MS is that they seem to base 95% of their decisions on either whatever the board members think "the kids are into" or on focus groups full of teenage boys. Thats why most of their unique first party stuff was dropped in favour of the status quo/COD market.

What MS needs to do is get 3rd party studios now to fill the void, get those studios to create new and different games that will showcase the power of the Scorpio.

Agreed. When Sony was behind they got the support of 3rd party to fill in the void while they got their first party lineup together for the PS4. MS needs to do the same.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70035 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

The Scorpio is a good decision but their lack of risk taking in 1st party/2nd party games is a bad decision. If MS doesn't announce any new games at E3 aside from the usual Halo/Forza stuff, I'm not so sure the Scorpio will be all that exciting.

Lets pretend that games like Ryse, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2 and Recore weren't MS taking risk but making sure deals.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@lilseb93 said:

They have been taken chances, though a lot of games were cancelled, I think sony has a lot of vaporwear as well. The problem with showing off projects too early, is if the project fails... there is no way to kill it without looking like the bad guys.

Although the biggest problem here is perception... M$'s decisions are divided strangely between xbox/windows and their bad choices are generally lopped together on all their platforms where their good choices they tend to be negated when it shares platform. For instance sea of thieves not an xbox exclusive... a microsoft exclusive... but M$ isn't trying new things because... reasons?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Shewgenja said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

Taking the good with the bad, Xbox made console Online actually a "thing" .. any prior attempt was absolutely pathetic, nothing would of changed showing the early days of the PS3. Xbox put consoles in the 21st century... denying what good it did because of the fee (which, Sony and Nintendo... have both decided to do... and you all decide to pay for it!) is just denial.

@metalslimenite said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@metalslimenite said:

It's a good thing that the best games don't need high tech or online services.

nice opinion.

Given that Multiplayer games are by far the most played games (outside of mobile apps)... I would say that personal opinion is not shared.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44364 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: I agree but haters gonna keep on hatin'.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

@Pedro said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Lets pretend that games like Ryse, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2 and Recore weren't MS taking risk but making sure deals.

Nah those games never existed apparently.

And man I hope we get an Ori sequel!

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@metalslimenite said:

Why?

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

If Ryse and Quantum Break are what happens when Microsoft takes risk, then yeah... maybe playing it safe is the way to go after all. ?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

Holy shit, this thread. lol.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

@lawlessx said:

why are people talking as if E3 already happened and microsoft announced nothing? Or are haters just having fun before the hate train ends in june?

Because its extremely doubtful that anything that they announce at E3 this year will be released this year. MS's fortunes can certainly improve enormously over the course of 2-3 years, but its probably not happening in 2017.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PraetorianMan

@Pedro said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Lets pretend that half of those games were worth a shit.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:
@Pedro said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Regardless if the games turned out to be what was expected or not has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. They took some risk with some new IPs and some of them didn't meet the hype. It doesn't mean they were shit games. Troll

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Cows must have finished all their new games they are back to making the daily Xbox hating shit posts.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

They'd need atleast 3 more first party studios to make that a reality I would think, which clearly isn't something they want to invest in.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shewgenja

@drummerdave9099: Well, I want to give them a chance. Scorpio seems like it could be a good console, but games are what we buy plastic boxes for, not the other way around.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

We gotta wait 'till E3 to say more, but having a strong console is def a positive.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@jv303 said:

If Ryse and Quantum Break are what happens when Microsoft takes risk, then yeah... maybe playing it safe is the way to go after all. ?

Those games need Sequels to really get a chance at making some big improvements.

That's where MS fail imo. Not giving games a 2nd chance to excel. Sony is much better than MS at giving ip's a 2nd chance.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PraetorianMan

@xscrapzx said:

Regardless if the games turned out to be what was expected or not has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. They took some risk with some new IPs and some of them didn't meet the hype. It doesn't mean they were shit games. Troll

To the contrary it is absolutely relevant to the conversation at hand. Pedro had to reach bank nearly 4 years to come up with 6 examples of Microsoft taking a risk and trying something new, at least half of those examples ranging from mediocre to straight dogshit. That is both a lack of risk taking and bad execution on the few risks they do take, which completely speaks to the point the OP was making.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think the Scorpio is a bad decision. I guess we will see.

Ditto. Just like the PS4 Pro is. If MS thinks hardware alone will push the console I think they are in for a surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@metalslimenite said:

@MBirdy88: Nice try. I guess if you're not a Justin Beiber fan you don't like music, according to you.

dull logic, keep it going.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70035 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:
@Pedro said:
@lifelessablaze said:

Lets pretend that I was not responding to this claim "...their lack of risk taking in 1st party/2nd party games is a bad decision.". One must not move the goal post.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@PraetorianMan said:
@xscrapzx said:

To the contrary it is absolutely relevant to the conversation at hand. Pedro had to reach bank nearly 4 years to come up with 6 examples of Microsoft taking a risk and trying something new, at least half of those examples ranging from mediocre to straight dogshit. That is both a lack of risk taking and bad execution on the few risks they do take, which completely speaks to the point the OP was making.

That is not true he spoke of games that have come out within the past year, so no not all examples were from four years ago. Secondly, whether you feel they are dog shit or not has nothing to do if they had a high risk proposition associated with them. Just because something is shit in your opinion doesn't have anything to do with risk what so ever. If you want to speak of bad execution, OK I'll give you that as some of the games that have come out haven't been what they could have been. However, It still doesn't correlate to shit and zero risk.

Black96Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Black96Z  Online
Member since 2007 • 959 Posts

@EG101: it has been leaked that Recore is getting a Definitive Edition with HDR. Sounds like it is getting a second chance.