Far Cry 3 WILL be the best singleplayer FPS this gen.

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

So it seems like Far Cry 3's biggest rivals is Stalker, Fallout, Crysis, and Bioshock, but...

Stalkers a buggy mess, and it's production quality and polish is NOT going to meet that of Far Cry. I mean FC2 was on of the more polished FPS with very good animations and graphics, and almost no bugs that I've run into. And also, Stalker's scale can't match that of Far Cry either.

IDK about Bioshock Infinite, really haven't followed it

Fallout was more RPG than FPS. I mean the FPS portions, even with all the mods I had like iron sights, was VERY mediocre, I'm sure almost everybody played it more like an RPG with VATS.

Crysis, IMO, was good game, but not great. Besides the graphics, the game was not anything special. The story was weak, the characters were weak, but the overall gameplay was strong. I still believe FC3 will be better.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
linear > open world..  that being said... naa.. cod 4/mw2 (and maybe mw3) will be the best fps this gen.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I must admit I liked Far Cry 2, especially once I got heavy weaponized jeep, which allowed me to cut through patrols in seconds. I felt the game wasted a lot of it's potential by developers inability to choose whether to go for realism or arcade. Plus the first map was pretty meh and only the second one delivered really good missions.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Stalkers a buggy mess, and it's production quality and polish is NOT going to meet that of Far Cry.

pl4yer_f0und

But Far Cry 3's shooting mechanics, AI, mission design, setting and atmosphere also won't match STALKER2's ones.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

I hope its really good.

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

I doubt it, FC2 was pretty boring. It had a nice environment, but the game itself was 1 big yawn.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

linear > open world..  that being said... naa.. cod 4/mw2 (and maybe mw3) will be the best fps this gen.campzor
ARE YOU KIDDING????

the COD games are the exact wrong way to do single player fps. gameplay wise its just a really high budget shooting gallery. give me gameplay choice. im tired of Super Linear shooters this gen.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I must admit I liked Far Cry 2, especially once I got heavy weaponized jeep, which allowed me to cut through patrols in seconds. I felt the game wasted a lot of it's potential by developers inability to choose whether to go for realism or arcade. Plus the first map was pretty meh and only the second one delivered really good missions.

AdrianWerner

I feel like the concept of a "hardcore mode" separate from the main game would have fixed a lot of Far Cry 2's issues.

A lot of people complained about the long traveling, weapon jamming, malaria and enemies. Even though the patrols and enemies couldn't really be changed, adding a hardcore mode to separate the jamming, inability to fast travel (which seriously should have been available at each safehouse to safehouse), and malaria all could have been dialed back or straight up removed. It also would have been a chance to add a few choice additions for hardcore, like needing to sleep and more segmented health.

This would have satisfied people like me, who loved the game for the pure immersion and enjoy a good challenge, as well as people like the haters who would have wanted a more arcadey, streamlined shooter.

It wouldn't have removed the repetition and the patrols would still be a major pain to anyone who didn't fast travel, but I don't think I'd see so much hate if they did that, and I do hope they do that.

In fact, I think the addition of a hardcore mode would make any game less hateable since it could satisfy both the casual camp and the hardcore camp.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
yeah guys, because we all remember how good far cry 2 was, right? :lol:
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Unless it's a great improvement from FC2 I doubt it.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Not hyped for it.

Far Cry 2 left a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe when it's really good.

freedomfreak

Far Cry 2 was disappointing but I can't help but be hyped for FC3.

I really want to see them go back to the awesome Instincts type of game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#62 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Don't make it like Far Cry 2, and they're sure to come up with a successful formula. From the little we've seen of Far Cry 3, it looks promising. Ubisoft Montreal is becoming better as a developer. I think they can do it justice. Just don't build off of Far Cry 2.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

Open World + FPS = Pure Awesomeness

I mean, don't people get bored with playing linear shooters, I do, that is why Far Cry 3 will be like a breath of fresh air for the stale FPS market.

First off their building off a great game, Far Cry 2. While people either loved it or hated it, you have to admit it had a lot of potential, which was brought down by stupid design choices. Now, it seems like Ubi Montreal have listened to the fans and they fixed the travel, stealth, malaria, voice acting, story (hopefully) and have added more customization by adding what seems to be an RPG-style stats system. All the while they are keeping everything that made FC2 so great, the open world, the freedom, and the play how you want it mentality.

So what do you guys think so far of the game?

pl4yer_f0und

crysis has been there, done that and now owns the t-shirt sayin best fps of this gen.

it wasnt that far cry 2 was bad; it was that it was so bad that the chances of the third living up to its potential are pretty much slim to none

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Remembers everyone thinking this with Far Cry 2.

Not buying into it this time. The game will be **** and if isn't I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Will it beat DX:HR, Portal 2, etc? I think not.

KevinPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 KevinPlanet
Member since 2003 • 941 Posts

I'm guessing you've never played Far Cry 2?

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#67 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

If I want to play an open world fps, I'll play STALKER.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#68 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

[QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"]

Open world + FPS = Awesomeness?... Far Cry 2 = Open world + FPS = LOL [QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Like what? Apart from Farcry 2.tomarlyn

• STALKER: SOC
  • STALKER: CS
  • STALKER: COP
  • Borderlands
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 3: NV
  • Far Cry 2

Not sure if there's more but yeah deffinetely a growing trend in developing of FPS games to provide flexibility in play and big level or open worlds.

Thats right and I'm loving it but Stalker is hardly as big and open as Farcry 2, the underground bases are very linear too. Borderlands ok, Fallout has already been covered.

Stalker: Call of Pripyat is WAY more open than Far Cry 2. In fact, Far Cry 2 has a particularly poorly designed map as its size evokes an illusion of open-endedness, yet you often end up being forced down linear trails blocked off on both sides by intraversable mountains. Not to mention that Stalker also blows Far Cry 2 out of the water in terms of gameplay.

Anyway, the Arma series beats just about any FPS when it comes to open-endedness, scope and versitality.

glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
I'll avoid FC3 like a plague if its anything like FC2!
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]people actually use weapons outside of v.a.t.s.?MFDOOM1983
Apparently so

Those poor people.

I don't understand how you could complete the game without shooting anything outside of vats. Yes vats was very useful, but unless you had 10 jets on you at all times and all the perks for higher AP then you were going to need to place your shots accordingly. I'm not sure if your joking but that's just a stupid comment.

Anyway, I have no hope for FC3. The only thing good about FC2 was the world. They'd need to scrap everything else for me to be remotely interested.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#71 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Best singleplayer FPS this gen is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I doubt a sequel to that crappy Farcry 2 game will be anywhere near as good as ST.A.L.K.E.R games are.