Far Cry 3 WILL be the best singleplayer FPS this gen.

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

Open World + FPS = Pure Awesomeness

I mean, don't people get bored with playing linear shooters, I do, that is why Far Cry 3 will be like a breath of fresh air for the stale FPS market.

First off their building off a great game, Far Cry 2. While people either loved it or hated it, you have to admit it had a lot of potential, which was brought down by stupid design choices. Now, it seems like Ubi Montreal have listened to the fans and they fixed the travel, stealth, malaria, voice acting, story (hopefully) and have added more customization by adding what seems to be an RPG-style stats system. All the while they are keeping everything that made FC2 so great, the open world, the freedom, and the play how you want it mentality.

So what do you guys think so far of the game?

DemoPan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DemoPan7
Member since 2011 • 187 Posts
open world fps' are old news now. i've played more open fps than linear this gen.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I loved Farcry 2 until my save game became mysteriously corrupted. I'm keeping tabs on Farcry 3 because I do crave big open world FPS's that at least try to be polished. Oh Boiling Point how you failed me.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tomarlyn
open world fps' are old news now. i've played more open fps than linear this gen. DemoPan7
Like what? Apart from Farcry 2.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

Fallout 3 is an action RPG though, if you pay it like an FPS you're doing it wrong.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

Fallout 3 is an action RPG though, if you pay it like an FPS you're doing it wrong.

You can once you upgrade your weapons accuracy, I know towards the end my shots were really accurate. Also there are some cool mods on PC which make it more actiony than RPG :P
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

if you played it in 3rd person you're doing it wrong. its first person, and it shoots...what am i missing? i played the entire game in first person switching between vats and regular old shooting, how is it not an FPS?
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

Far cry 3? lmao are you kidding? Nothing will beat Bioshock

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

if you played it in 3rd person you're doing it wrong. its first person, and it shoots...what am i missing? i played the entire game in first person switching between vats and regular old shooting, how is it not an FPS?

It's more RPG than FPS. Great RPG elements, bad FPS mechanics.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Not hyped for it.

Far Cry 2 left a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe when it's really good.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

Its like calling Halo a platformer
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Open world + FPS = Awesomeness?... Far Cry 2 = Open world + FPS = LOL

[QUOTE="DemoPan7"]open world fps' are old news now. i've played more open fps than linear this gen. tomarlyn

• STALKER: SOC
  • STALKER: CS
  • STALKER: COP
  • Borderlands
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 3: NV
  • Far Cry 2

Not sure if there's more but yeah deffinetely a growing trend in developing of FPS games to provide flexibility in play and big level or open worlds.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Fallout 3 is an action RPG though, if you pay it like an FPS you're doing it wrong.

people actually use weapons outside of v.a.t.s.?
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tomarlyn

Open world + FPS = Awesomeness?... Far Cry 2 = Open world + FPS = LOL [QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="DemoPan7"]open world fps' are old news now. i've played more open fps than linear this gen. Grey_Eyed_Elf

• STALKER: SOC
  • STALKER: CS
  • STALKER: COP
  • Borderlands
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout 3: NV
  • Far Cry 2

Not sure if there's more but yeah deffinetely a growing trend in developing of FPS games to provide flexibility in play and big level or open worlds.

Thats right and I'm loving it but Stalker is hardly as big and open as Farcry 2, the underground bases are very linear too. Borderlands ok, Fallout has already been covered.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#16 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
FarCry 2 was really fun, but....FarCry 3 has to be better than bioshock and that is a hard feat for any shooter
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Fallout 3 is an action RPG though, if you pay it like an FPS you're doing it wrong.

It's more RPG than FPS. Great RPG elements, bad FPS mechanics.

Bad RPG elements and bad FPS mechanics.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Fallout 3 is an action RPG though, if you pay it like an FPS you're doing it wrong.

except that platforming isn't one of the most important gaming mechanics in halo like, you know shooting things is in falluot :|
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] if you played it in 3rd person you're doing it wrong. its first person, and it shoots...what am i missing? i played the entire game in first person switching between vats and regular old shooting, how is it not an FPS?

i never invested in much AP :(
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] if you played it in 3rd person you're doing it wrong. its first person, and it shoots...what am i missing? i played the entire game in first person switching between vats and regular old shooting, how is it not an FPS?

Apparently so
CasualMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CasualMike
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]its gonna have to do alot for me to like it more than fallout 3 FC2 was alright but i got bored real quick with it

This. FC2 just didn't have..."it." Just boring, pretty much. After a certain point I just felt like, "why should i continue playing?"
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
The graphics for it look pretty good. They are also developing Far Cry 3 with PC as lead development SKU and porting it down towards consoles. The trailer looked a bit like Crysis, only more colourful.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"] Its like calling Halo a platformer

Apparently so

Those poor people.
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grey_Eyed_Elf
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The graphics for it look pretty good. They are also developing Far Cry 3 with PC as lead development SKU and porting it down towards consoles. The trailer looked a bit like Crysis, only more colourful.

How often to we hear that garbage come out of developers mouths... I'll believe it when its out. PC lead... :lol: I ate that up so many times now its just a joke, Unless its a game for PC only like the stalker and witcher games yes, a big comapy like EA, Ubisoft or Activision saying PC is lead... well :lol:.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

i am really hyping up FC3 but the people saying that the thing that makes it great is just the fact that it's open ended make me roll my eyes.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaltyMeatballs
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] if you played it in 3rd person you're doing it wrong. its first person, and it shoots...what am i missing? i played the entire game in first person switching between vats and regular old shooting, how is it not an FPS?

except that platforming isn't one of the most important gaming mechanics in halo like, you know shooting things is in falluot :|

What, I didn't say that...
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Hated it and not liking the looks of FC3 either.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The graphics for it look pretty good. They are also developing Far Cry 3 with PC as lead development SKU and porting it down towards consoles. The trailer looked a bit like Crysis, only more colourful.Grey_Eyed_Elf
How often to we hear that garbage come out of developers mouths... I'll believe it when its out. PC lead... :lol: I ate that up so many times now its just a joke, Unless its a game for PC only like the stalker and witcher games yes, a big comapy like EA, Ubisoft or Activision saying PC is lead... well :lol:.

There is a difference between PC-lead and PC-centric.

PC-lead is just development is started and done on PC first. The design of the game is universal to all the platforms, with maybe a few slight changes.

PC-centric is when the game is designed as PC game, with only the PC in mind. The design can handle open detailed worlds with more player control with great key commands, mod support (maybe), a great graphical atmosphere, etc. etc.

This method is less attractive to publishers because a port to consoles may not carry the original design of the PC game, due to consoles being super weak in comparison to PCs. Not carrying the orignal design of the game may make it a bad console game in comparision to games that are console-centric.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"] Its like calling Halo a platformer

not my fault :( blame gamespots terrible site. i didnt even quote you lol
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="mems_1224"] except that platforming isn't one of the most important gaming mechanics in halo like, you know shooting things is in falluot :|mems_1224

not my fault :( blame gamespots terrible site. i didnt even quote you lol

... And I was on gametrailers hit send and Im here... WTF IS GOING ON :cry:

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

It'll definitely be up there. Far Cry 2 had some great gameplay it was just marred by some really poor design choices. If they're really listening to people with 3, it'll be incredible. They're also using PC as the lead SKU, so that awesome.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

HIghly doubt it, Stalker series and Crysis1 are goign to be hard to beat.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Although it's E3 trailer looked good, I Hate modern shooters, and have never enjoyed a FarCry game, terrible gunplay. And stats don't work for shooters imo, at least things like accuracy, I can't stand the game telling me I can't shoot strait, fine in Deus Ex, but that gives you the choice of shooting.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Id agree although i believei Bioshock infinite & FarCry 3 will both be the best FPS games this gen.

Farcry2 had a lot of potential but didnt live up to it. Farcry is going to fully realize its potential & more. The demo at e3 was really impressive. the story, character development along with how they transition from cutscene to gameplay was seamless. I've never, ever senn gameplay to cutscene, back to gameplay so seamless. Its never been done like that before.

The animation will be improved upon & at the time Farcry 2 had the best animation ever seen in a FPS. For example in any other FPS they would skip anmition for things like pressing a button. In Halo you never see your character actually press a button. You just press X & its done. If doneIn Far Cry you would actually see the characters arm lean out & press a button. Animation is something FPS games ignore but Far CRy2 did not & Farcry 3 will not either.

Cant wait to see what FarCry3 does. FPS games need to learn from this baby.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

Yeah because Ubisoft Montreal has so much experience at making great FPS games :|

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Grey_Eyed_Elf

[QUOTE="Grey_Eyed_Elf"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]The graphics for it look pretty good. They are also developing Far Cry 3 with PC as lead development SKU and porting it down towards consoles. The trailer looked a bit like Crysis, only more colourful.ShadowDeathX

There is a difference between PC-lead and PC-centric.

PC-lead is just development is started and done on PC first. The design of the game is universal to all the platforms, with maybe a few slight changes.

PC-centric is when the game is designed as PC game, with only the PC in mind. The design can handle open detailed worlds with more player control with great key commands, mod support (maybe), a great graphical atmosphere, etc. etc.

This method is less attractive to publishers because a port to consoles may not carry the original design of the PC game, due to consoles being super weak in comparison to PCs. Not carrying the orignal design of the game may make it a bad console game in comparision to games that are console-centric.

Well that's exactly why I'm not interested in it what so ever. I've spent too much money on a gaming PC to only be told games will cater to console limitations in gameplay and scope and give me a game a poor excuse of a game with pretty graphics. Its the reason why BF3 has maps like Operation Metro... its ridiculous when developers are forced by publishers to hold back their ideas and throw the towel in to tend to consoles and limit their scope.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Best this gen? You'd be pitting it against Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Crysis so that is a steep claim.

That said, from what I've heard it sounds amazing. Its like Far Cry 2 with a more present plot, a crazier villain, and the same open world minus the monotony and with a bevy of set pieces and ways through a level. There aren't a lot of details aside from the currency system and two playthroughs, but I'd love to know more.

Also, I'm praying for a Hardcore mode, like in New Vegas. One that makes the HUD less prevalant, brings back weapon jams (its supposedly cosmetic only now), and forces you to rest. It would be a damn immersive experience.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

its funny that people are saying "its going to have a hard time beating crysis 1"

cmon. the stuff they have showed off already looks ten thousand times better than crysis 1.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

If it is the game Far Cry 2 could have been. Then maybe yes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I just hope this time it isn't half done and highly unbalanced.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

FC2 could have been one of the best games of all time, but they overdid some aspects of the game to the point were it became tedious and a chore to play.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#43 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

its funny that people are saying "its going to have a hard time beating crysis 1"

cmon. the stuff they have showed off already looks ten thousand times better than crysis 1.

arbitor365

opinions..

TO me it looks like more Farcry2 garbage, which Crysis1 destroyed from a campaign aspect.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm so hyped for far cry 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Far Cry 3 looks good and has some potential but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Far Cry 2 was a huge disappointment. Lets hope this fares better

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
after the borefest that farcry 2 was i doubt it I do agree though FC2 had alot of potential but imo it ended a boring and repetitive shooter
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
I love Far Cry 2, but it does have some flaws. If FC3 can fix those flaws, I'm sure it will be awesome!
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts
hopefully its not a borefest like Far Cry 2 although Far Cry 3 does look promising.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#49 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Isn't Far Cry a console game now though?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Isn't Far Cry a console game now though?

-Unreal-

If Ubisoft is to be believed, they're developing FC3 for PC first and foremost then porting to consoles.