Fallout 76 worst flop in recent SW history?

• 120 results
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#51 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@reduc_ab_ said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

The game is a lot of fun. It's basically a lot like FO4 gameplay-wise, but with an entirety new world to explore. As far as reviews go, I'm just ignoring them. All else I can say is that going by scores, sure, it flopped, but the servers have been packed so far every session I've played (PS4), and I've already put in around twenty hours or so. The reviews may stink, but a whole lot of people are playing.

how are the servers packed this game sales were down 80% from fallout 4 physically

When I say packed I mean that every one I jump into has the full amount of people in it. Literally every one. I always check first thing. Over time people leave and the server empties up, but then I jump into another one and it's full again. It happens every time so far. Don't know what to tell you, dude. Going by what I see, it seems a lot of people are definitely playing.

to be fair, a server only needs 24 players to fill up, so not exactly compelling evidence that the game is drawing large amounts of players.

i'd be curious to see concurrent player counts for any platform but there is no way to get that information

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

The game is a lot of fun. It's basically a lot like FO4 gameplay-wise, but with an entirety new world to explore. As far as reviews go, I'm just ignoring them. All else I can say is that going by scores, sure, it flopped, but the servers have been packed so far every session I've played (PS4), and I've already put in around twenty hours or so. The reviews may stink, but a whole lot of people are playing.

how are the servers packed this game sales were down 80% from fallout 4 physically

When I say packed I mean that every one I jump into has the full amount of people in it. Literally every one. I always check first thing. Over time people leave and the server empties up, but then I jump into another one and it's full again. It happens every time so far. Don't know what to tell you, dude. Going by what I see, it seems a lot of people are definitely playing.

to be fair, a server only needs 24 players to fill up, so not exactly compelling evidence that the game is drawing large amounts of players.

i'd be curious to see concurrent player counts for any platform but there is no way to get that information

True. I have, however, tested it out by jumping repeatedly into new servers, and they're full every time so far. Not saying that will necessarily continue indefinitely, but it is what it is. I tried to find a concurrent list, couldn't, then lost interest. Hopefully the community grows and lasts, because the game is really a lot of fun if you get into it. Not everyone will like it, of course, but if pure exploration is your thing, with a bunch of really morose storytelling mixed in, you should have fun with it. I know I am.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'll not consider touching another Bethesda game until they get off their asses and create or start using a more modern engine. All of their games feel like they exist from a decade + ago.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Ive watched a few streams and the game looks fun. The bugs and stuff are probably annoying. Majority of complaints i see are people rubbed the wrong way with no npcs. Sea of Thieves had less but game ran smooth and grew with content. Fallout76 probably started with more content than Sea of Thieves but had a rough start. If Bethesda puts in the work like Rare is doing with Sea of Thieves, it will only get better over time.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts
@zappat said:

This is the ultimate flop combo of this gen. Two flops for the price of one lol.

I laughed moer than i should have at this xD Funny cuz true xd

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts
@zaryia said:
@vagrantsnow said:

Probably best flop. It's a pretty good game

When did you stop playing the game?

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@Gatygun: If you were smart you saw NMS coming from a mile away as well.

I think both tie for biggest flop though.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@dreman999 said:

@enzyme36: doing what?

Come again now?? I was a bit busy stuffing my face, exploring the wasteland, upgrading my toon... and giving thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

This got a 4 on Gamespot...lmfao.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

Imagine if it was exclusive.

It is exclusive, to suckers.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

No surprises here.

I wonder if this will damage the Fallout brand and even Bethesda Studios itself? Not a good look.

Nope it ain't a good look. They've gotten away with a lot lately but now it seems their luck has run out. If they want to stay competitive they'll actually have to make some effort from now on.

... Fallout 4 was disappointing - and now this!

They'll have to really prove themselves first if they want people to get to get excited about Fallout 5. (The name "Fallout" probably won't sell it alone.)

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Can't help but notice all the comparisons to No Man's Sky, I wonder if Fallout 76 will follow the same route.

Hated initially, but after a year or two of fixing it up, people will then like it.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Quantum Break or 5ive Club

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@Gatygun said:

No man sky is worse.

I bought these 2 games day one, and Fallout is FAR worse. To be honest it is not even close. At least No Man's Sky ran decently.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

There isn't a single "positive" review on Metacritic....that is fing bad. Sea of Thieves still managed a respectable 69, and had 21 positive reviews, and No Man's Lie got a 71 with only 1 negative review (talking PS4 copy not Xbox copy that launched with a year of content, that copy had zero negative reviews and an honorable 77 score).....I almost have zero belief that FO76 will go up 6 points in 1 year, and will likely remain a turd. Of course I have high hopes, but those hopes involve it becoming a Game Pass game.

Despite not trusting critics, I am in a position to believe that FO76 is some ghetto shit, like a giant steaming turd. SoT was polished but was limited in what the world had, yet was at least fun with friends, and even if not 100% satisfied Day 1, I saw insane potential that no one else had. From what I've seen on FO76, I rather go play any random survival game on Steam.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#66 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I almost pre-ordered Fallout 76 a month ago,glad now I didn't. Scored 4 on GS,ouch!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Quantum Break or 5ive Club

Knack

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#68 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Just looks and sounds like garbage. Would not touch.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I'm bored of FAllout I'd rather play no mans sky over 76 at least it tried to do something different. I just want another elder scrolls. Oblivion 2?

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts
@robert_sparkes said:

Oblivion 2?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Majority expected it to be trash.

But being hypocrites half the folk calling it shit will probably buy it.

It's an online game. So, even if it got 10/10 scores, I still wouldn't buy it. But, you're right about everyone expecting it to bomb. I loved Fallout 4 and yet, I expected Fallout 76 to get panned.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I'll not consider touching another Bethesda game until they get off their asses and create or start using a more modern engine. All of their games feel like they exist from a decade + ago.

I feel the same way. Gamebryo and the Creation Engine are complete garbage.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I hope Bethesda learns from this. An MP adventure in FO universe isn't a bad idea, really - but this is clearly not well done, and lays bare some of the deepest flaws of their SP games with nothing substantial to fall back on

If they made it mmo style e.g pretty much everyone playing the same campaign at once with an option to go to a PVP area, I think it would of been so much better..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#74 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#75 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

People were hyping this?

Gran Turismo 5 and No Man's Sky still top the all-time "flop" list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#76 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

I thought it was Agony.

https://www.gamespot.com/agony/

Already beaten

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/underworld-ascendant-review-going-under/1900-6417042/

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

People were hyping this?

Mario kart 64 and twilight princess.

This is pretty bad though. Fallout games usually score in the 9+ scores.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@n64dd said:
@foxhound_fox said:

People were hyping this?

Gamespot was a mostly PC site in 1996/1997, and GT5/NMS were on the same level as Twilight Princess.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 N64DD

@foxhound_fox said:
@n64dd said:
@foxhound_fox said:

People were hyping this?

Gamespot was a mostly PC site in 1996/1997, and GT5/NMS were on the same level as Twilight Princess.

I was on here back in the day. I remember my group getting our patches for MOHAA on here because I actually had a paid subscription.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

I'm going to eat a large Taco Bell meal and then I'm going to buy a copy of Fallout 76 so that I can take a big diarrhea dump on it

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

I think the comparisons to NMS are a little unfair considering the huge difference in resources and manpower.

Beth game studios is one of the biggest devs in the world with a blockbuster back catalogue of games.

They should know better.

NMS was falsely advertised and boring.

F76 was falsely advertised, boring AND runs and looks like sh*t AND re uses assets from a 3 year old game AND has a mess of MTs thrown into the mix.

It’s an utter joke of a game.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
@xdude85 said:

Can't help but notice all the comparisons to No Man's Sky, I wonder if Fallout 76 will follow the same route.

Hated initially, but after a year or two of fixing it up, people will then like it.

To be fair, No Man's Sky was made by a indie studio that more than likely didn't have the manpower or money that Bethesda has. To release it in the state it did, knowing full well it was a mess--and still asking players to pay full price for it (at least until a few days ago when the crap hit the fan), is insulting to those who did. Especially if they bought it digitally or pre-ordered--that's really gotta sting. This is a AAA publisher that should've known better, but was probably betting that name branding and fan loyalty would allow it to coast by and released the game anyway.

This experience has burned a lot of people, and I'm not sure all of the updates, tweaking, and add-ons post launch is going to be enough to save it.

BTW...a beta that came out two weeks before launch, and a day-one patch that's significantly larger than the actual game itself? If those aren't warning signs, I don't know what is.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

The game is trash..........i can't believe that Bethesda have made this game.

Why........????

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 N64DD

@hallenbeck77 said:
@xdude85 said:

To be fair, No Man's Sky was made by a indie studio that more than likely didn't have the manpower or money that Bethesda has. To release it in the state it did, knowing full well it was a mess--and still asking players to pay full price for it (at least until a few days ago when the crap hit the fan), is insulting to those who did. Especially if they bought it digitally or pre-ordered--that's really gotta sting. This is a AAA publisher that should've known better, but was probably betting that name branding and fan loyalty would allow it to coast by and released the game anyway.

This experience has burned a lot of people, and I"m not sure all of the updates, tweaking, and add-ons post launch is going to be enough to save it.

BTW...a beta that came out two weeks before launch, and a day-one patch that's significantly larger than the actual game itself? If those aren't warning signs, I don't what is.

They'd have to do a major overhaul and give some kind of extra content or voucher towards a new bethesda game to make things right?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@n64dd said:

They'd have to do a major overhaul and give some kind of extra content or voucher towards a new bethesda game to make things right?

They have to do SOMETHING to gain back their lost goodwill to the fans, and that could be a start. But I also realize that it is a business at the end of the day, and they are going to do what they can to make a profit. With all the negative publicity surrounding this release, I imagine they are figuring out what it's going to cost them to properly fix this mess (a 40% discount a week after launch doesn't help) as opposed to releasing a few more patches to make it more playable, and quietly dropping support for this game altogether before moving on to their next major projects.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 N64DD

@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:

They have to do SOMETHING to gain back their lost goodwill to the fans, and that could be a start. But I also realize that it is a business at the end of the day, and they are going to do what they can to make a profit. With all the negative publicity surrounding this release, I imagine they are figuring out what it's going to cost them to properly fix this mess (a 40% discount a week after launch doesn't help) as opposed to releasing a few more patches to make it more playable, and quietly dropping support for this game altogether before moving on to their next major projects.

Full refund honestly. It needs to be scrapped.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@n64dd said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:

That's an idea--refund those who bought it full price (shouldn't be an issue for those who bought physical copies, digital customers can either get a credit or refund), and for those who want to keep it, scrap the microtransctions altogether (or at least make them free for a set amount of time), and patch what they can.

Maybe the best thing is to cut their losses on this and move on.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#88 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I know how Bethesda can earn forgiveness from fans! Either allow MS borrow the rights for Fallout and have Obsidian and inXiles Studios work together to make a new Fallout exclusive for the Xbox One/PC/Scarlet or remaster New Vegas in HD with new textures and lighting running in 60 FPS for all consoles and Switch included.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

It's not a flop if everyone knew it was trash weeks before release.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@zappat: Must suck so bad to know the XBX is more powerful than your PS4...

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@sealionact:

If I'm not mistaken, The Last Guardian received a 9 here at GS. If anything, it actually exceeded it's hype level.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Turns out I dont miss human ai NPCs.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:

That's an idea--refund those who bought it full price (shouldn't be an issue for those who bought physical copies, digital customers can either get a credit or refund), and for those who want to keep it, scrap the microtransctions altogether (or at least make them free for a set amount of time), and patch what they can.

Either that, or make all future DLC free, and give all the original buyers credits to use on their stupid microtransaction store.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 N64DD

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:

Either that, or make all future DLC free, and give all the original buyers credits to use on their stupid microtransaction store.

I saw some guy got 500 atoms i think it was? He complained to Bethesda about the price drop shortly after he paid full for his.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

They are packed. I have not connected to a map that wasn't full yet.

I dislike the game, though. I never want to play a game where I have to spend so much time finding food and water. I know that some may think that is a stupid gripe, but it seriously p***es me off that I have to deal with it. I'm right in the middle of a "event", and I have to stop what I am doing and eat some Squirrel Bits and drink some water? WTF??? That, and rad-a-way is such a scarce commodity, but everything irradiates you.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@n64dd said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@n64dd said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

I saw some guy got 500 atoms i think it was? He complained to Bethesda about the price drop shortly after he paid full for his.

That's pretty poor if it was only 500. Most items are 600 or above, and it costs 5 dollars to get 500 atoms. But, doesn't surprise me; Bethesda is shit.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Fallout 76 will be all right. No Man's Sky maintained a dedicated fan base and that didn't' have the following Fallout does.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@ermacness: That's my definition of a flop. Huge hype, infamously long and expensive development, good reviews.... But hideous sales.

1.2 million for a game that took 8 years to make is serious flop material.

Again.... Depends on your definition.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@sealionact:

Oh ok. Going by your definition, sure I can see it. I was going by SW definition of a flop.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@ermacness: So what is the definition of a flop on SW?