uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

EA, a company that would make cancer feel ashamed to be associated with them, have popped up on the gaming news again. Apparently they are greedy. Also he explains abit why Andromeda was crap and why Dragon Age had MP.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-manveer-heir-bioware-mass-effect-ea-monetisation

"I've seen people literally spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer cards"

Gameplay designer Manveer Heir spent a long time - seven years - working for Electronic Arts at BioWare Montreal, making Mass Effect 3 (mostly multiplayer) and then Mass Effect Andromeda, and he had some illuminating information about the company's mindset to share with Waypoint at the weekend.

It was to do with EA's recent closure of Visceral Games and the "pivot" in direction of the Star Wars game in development there - but it also tied into Star Wars Battlefront 2 loot crates as well.

In the Visceral Games statement, EA executive vice president Patrick Soderlund said: "It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency..."

It read like a declaration EA will move away from single-player experiences in favour of open-world or shared open-world games. It's what Manveer Heir said he saw happening firsthand there.

"It's definitely a thing inside of EA," he said, "they are generally pushing for more open-world games. And the reason is you can monetise them better. The words in there that were used are 'have them come back again and again' [not quite but that's the gist - see above]. Why do you care about that at EA? The reason you care about that is because microtransactions: buying card packs in the Mass Effect games, the multiplayer. It's the same reason we added card packs to Mass Effect 3: how do you get people to keep coming back to a thing instead of 'just' playing for 60 to 100 hours?

"The problem is that we've scaled up our budgets to $100m+ and we haven't actually made a space for good linear single-player games that are under that. But why can't we have both? Why does it have to be one or the other? And the reason is that EA and those big publishers in general only care about the highest return on investment. They don't actually care about what the players want, they care about what the players will pay for.

"You need to understand the amount of money that's at play with microtransactions. I'm not allowed to say the number but I can tell you that when Mass Effect 3 multiplayer came out, those card packs we were selling, the amount of money we made just off those card packs was so significant that's the reason Dragon Age has multiplayer, that's the reason other EA products started getting multiplayer that hadn't really had them before, because we nailed it and brought in a ton of money. It's repeatable income versus one-time income.

"I've seen people literally spend $15,000 on Mass Effect multiplayer cards."

What we're seeing is a "cynical" chasing of the games making big money. "You've seen - what is BioWare's new franchise coming out?" he asked.

"Anthem," the host duly answered.

"Right," Heir said. "It's not a traditional-looking BioWare game, right? If that's what you're seeing from a place like BioWare, owned by EA, a place where I worked for seven years; if that's what you're seeing from Visceral now closing and going to this other Vancouver studio; what it means is that the linear single-player triple-A game at EA is dead for the time being."

Manveer Heir said making the open world gave Mass Effect: Andromeda the most problems. BioWare simply didn't have the expertise for it, he said, and open worlds are among the hardest things in games to make because you can't predict how players will approach situations in them. Trying to build an open world after major changes in direction was just too much.

"The problem is, what ultimately comes out with a Mass Effect Andromeda isn't the game we started making," he said. "We started by making a prequel called Mass Effect Contact, and as we started testing things we realised a prequel wasn't a good idea and we moved to a sequel, which a lot of the team was happier with. We rebooted that game design multiple times, so the version of the game you see come out is probably the last two and a half years of direction."

It sounds like BioWare Montreal wasn't a happy ship, (there have been deeper dives into the turbulent development of Mass Effect Andromeda) and as soon as Heir had seen the project through to manufacturing, he left. "I was done," he said. "It was a real difficult project and time." He goes onto talk in much more depth to Waypoint about cultural disagreements in the full hour-and-a-half podcast.

Today, Manveer Heir is getting his own indie studio off the ground, making a game about the war on drugs and destruction of black and brown communities in cities by white supremacy, he said. He's currently trying to raise funds for the project.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#2 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I appreciate interviews like this. An inside perspective- although im guessing most of us already knew EA has been phoning it in for awhile.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Oh yeah, that twitter guy that couldn't shut up about politics.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Oh, he's still around?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

lol the racist who hates white people...2017 its okay to hate white people. :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

That's just the way of things. Most companies which grow to that size eventually become like this.

• Zenimax Media
  • Ubisoft
  • Activision Blizzard
  • EA

They're not your friend. You are a customer.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't play their games.... Just be wary. Don't be a whale.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I'm sorry, but that's billshit.

The original Dragon Age was supposed to be a multiplayer-focused toolset for creating adventures, like Neverwinter Nights.

It only became singleplayer-focused and linear after EA bought them and pushed for console releases.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@Planeforger said:

I'm sorry, but that's billshit.

The original Dragon Age was supposed to be a multiplayer-focused toolset for creating adventures, like Neverwinter Nights.

It only became singleplayer-focused and linear after EA bought them and pushed for console releases.

Got a source for that? Not doubting you, just genuinely curious as I really enjoyed NWN multiplayer. Would have been interesting too see how they would have expanded upon it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34603 Posts

And the one to blame is the idiot gamers giving them tons of money for multiplayer cards. Such a bright future we gamers make for ourselves. We need more multiplayer cards, apparently. In all games. And we like big companies finishing a 3rd of their game, which they want full game price for, so we can buy the rest in small expensive packages later.

I hate people..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Activision has Destiny, Ubisoft's equivalent is The Division, Rockstar has GTA 5 with its GTA Online which is raking it in with micro-transactions, EA hasn't even released Anthem yet and they're fucking Dr Claw of the gaming world.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

@pyratrum: Here's a link to Bioware's Dragon Age FAQ from 2006: http://web.archive.org/web/20060209112210/http://www.bioware.com:80/games/dragon_age/faq/index.html

It was like that for years, if I remember correctly, with information coming and going.

To quote the FAQ:

1.05: Will Dragon Age have a multi-player component? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a fully developed multi-player campaign that follows the same core story as the single-player campaign, but which is optimized for cooperative play. Some competitive play modes will also be available. More information on multiplayer will be made available later in the development cycle.

1.06: Will Dragon Age have a toolset for content creation? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a brand-new toolset for end-user content creation and BioWare will be providing support to the mod community � supporting the BioWare Community is very important to BioWare. More information on the specific features available in the Dragon Age toolset will be made available at a later date.

1.13: Will Dragon Age have a Game Master client? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a Game Master client. More information on the specific features will be made available at a later date.

1.14: Who is publishing Dragon Age? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age has not yet been signed with any publisher. It is a brand new intellectual property created and owned by BioWare.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@pyratrum: Here's a link to Bioware's Dragon Age FAQ from 2006: http://web.archive.org/web/20060209112210/http://www.bioware.com:80/games/dragon_age/faq/index.html

It was like that for years, if I remember correctly, with information coming and going.

To quote the FAQ:

1.05: Will Dragon Age have a multi-player component? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a fully developed multi-player campaign that follows the same core story as the single-player campaign, but which is optimized for cooperative play. Some competitive play modes will also be available. More information on multiplayer will be made available later in the development cycle.

1.06: Will Dragon Age have a toolset for content creation? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a brand-new toolset for end-user content creation and BioWare will be providing support to the mod community � supporting the BioWare Community is very important to BioWare. More information on the specific features available in the Dragon Age toolset will be made available at a later date.

1.13: Will Dragon Age have a Game Master client? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age will have a Game Master client. More information on the specific features will be made available at a later date.

1.14: Who is publishing Dragon Age? (Back to Top)

Dragon Age has not yet been signed with any publisher. It is a brand new intellectual property created and owned by BioWare.

I can't see any date on that but I'm assuming it's from around a decade ago? Policy changes over time. To say that what is said in the OP is false due to what happened a decade ago is a pretty bad argument. Keeping in mind that the time period you quoted from didn't have the same problem with loot boxes and publishers weren't actively targeting "games as a service".

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@Litchie said:

And the one to blame is the idiot gamers giving them tons of money for multiplayer cards. Such a bright future we gamers make for ourselves. We need more multiplayer cards, apparently. In all games. And we like big companies finishing a 3rd of their game, which they want full game price for, so we can buy the rest in small expensive packages later.

I hate people..

Why does it bother you so much what other people do with their money?

I would never spend my money on silly dlc but if someone else does and enjoys the content then let them be happy.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I hope those tweets were made as a joke.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

I value Curry Thunder's thoughts highly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup  Online

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Shouldn’t this guy be happy that white people are wasting $15,000 on his terrible games?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34603 Posts

@EG101: Because people buying crap will result in devs making more crap, and shit I like can get infested with the same crap, thus destroying my favourite hobby.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Apparently they are greedy

No shit...

edit: Just noticed that's Manveer Heir, the racist piece of sh*t that BioWare (rightly so) fired. He may be right or not, idc, but please, dont give someone like him more attention than he deserves

making a game about the war on drugs and destruction of black and brown communities in cities by white supremacy, he said. He's currently trying to raise funds for the project

yeah, I hope this sh*t fails... HARD

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Thank you for the click bait thread title which enticed me to a thread about a racist scumbag.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@EG101 said:

Because what they do with their money affects us all. It's not an isolated factor.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Jesus. I view people like this the same way I view people from the KKK, etc.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FireEmblem_Man

@KungfuKitten: they're for real

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Just a disgusting racist whining that he got quietly moved on because he was a walking PR disaster. Oh and he worked on Andromeda. Enough said.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: He probably blacklisted himself from a ton of developers.

--------------------------------

I shouldn't be too surprised someone spent 15k on Mass Effect cards. Even though I am. When Japanese gamers have been pumping even more money to get 1 ultra rare card. This is certainly a system where Gambling regulation commissions will have to look further into.

I personally was a big fan of Andromeda and want a sequel. Its probably my favorite ME game to be honest. And the one I spent the most time playing with over 80+ hours. It also oddly, the first ME game to not have single player DLC missions.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

And this is precisely why, the oh so tolerant, SJWs are reviled by anyone with a brain.

"Bu-bu-bu-but PoC can't be racist against wypipo cuz racism = power + privilege (according to two radical activist sociologists who took it upon themselves to redefine the term). Like, how not woke are you? Don't you know your 'dictionary' definition is outdated? You misogynistic, transmisogynistic, racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, fascist, nazi, bigot ****?!"

Last I heard, this piece of shit was fired from BW, but BW's been cancerous for years, so it's not like his departure can save them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Dasein808 said:

And this is precisely why, the oh so tolerant, SJWs are reviled by anyone with a brain.

"Bu-bu-bu-but PoC can't be racist against wypipo cuz racism = power + privilege according to two activist sociologists who redefined the term. Like, how not woke are you? You misogynistic, racist, sexist, ableist, fascist, nazi, bigot ****?!"

Last I heard, this piece of shit was fired from BW, but BW's been cancerous for years, so it's not like his departure can save them.

Gamersgate is a terrible group that sends bomb threats to educated woman actually trying to move gaming away from 14 year old power fantasies.

SJW is just a really poor label to dismiss valid arguments. This guy isn't racist at all, people are just contorting it as such because they perceive Mass Effect as progressive.

Which it is. And the way all games are going.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dasein808

@uninspiredcup said:

Gamersgate is a terrible group that sends bomb threats to educated woman actually trying to move gaming away from 14 year old power fantasies.

SJW is just a really poor label to dismiss valid arguments. This guy isn't racist at all, people are just contorting it as such because they perceive Mass Effect as progressive.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireEmblem_Man

@uninspiredcup said:
@Dasein808 said:

"Bu-bu-bu-but PoC can't be racist against wypipo cuz racism = power + privilege according to two activist sociologists who redefined the term. Like, how not woke are you? You misogynistic, racist, sexist, ableist, fascist, nazi, bigot ****?!"

Either you're trolling or just plain stupid? He is a racist

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Dasein808 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Disagree if you want, it's true.

Look at Battlefront 2, female protagonist. Call Of Duty: WW2, black female characters. Battlefield 1, Female protagonists.

MKX, females designed to not look like hookers. Injustice 2, females actually wear clothes.

The only group who are far behind the curb are the Japanese and even those guys are editing games for the West.

Stuff like Quiet was embarrassing by 2016 standards, espcailly when contrasted with Mass Effect.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dasein808
@uninspiredcup said:

Look at Battlefront 2, female protagonist. Call Of Duty: WW2, black female characters. Battlefield 1, Female protagonists.

MKX, females designed to not look like hookers. Injustice 2, females actually wear clothes.

The only group who are far behind the curb are the Japanese and even those guys are editing games for the West.

Stuff like Quiet was embarrassing by 2016 standards.

I don't care about any of those games or whether their protagonists are non-male / non-white.

I wouldn't play any of them regardless of the characters.

I was disagreeing with your original troll claim.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Dasein808 said:

Racism is when you hate you hate a group of people. He's criticizing a culture.

This is the kind of backward thinking you'd get from the Gamergate crowd.

It's alright to verbally attack woman at any opportunity, make multiple youtube videos and turn it into a rally, but as soon as someone criticizes the norms, it's time to tar them with out of context photoshop jobs.

Heck, if you look at his twitter he has plenty of white friends, and he obviously worked with them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uninspiredcup  Online

@Dasein808 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Stuff like Quiet was embarrassing by 2016 standards.

I don't care about any of those games or whether their protagonists are non-male / non-white.

I wouldn't play any of them regardless of the characters.

I was disagreeing with your original troll claim.

Sure.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FireEmblem_Man

@uninspiredcup said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Racism is when you hate you hate a group of people. He's criticizing a culture.

This is the kind of backward thinking you'd get from the Gamergate crowd.

It's alright to verbally attack woman at any opportunity, make multiple youtube videos and turn it into a rally, but as soon as someone criticizes the norms, it's time to tar them with out of context photoshop jobs.

Heck, if you look at his twitter he has plenty of white friends, and he obviously worked with them.

Thanks for clarifying, that you're pretty damn stupid! Breath of the Wild is winning GOTY FYI

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#37 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

I don't know what else to say about EA. They are a horrible company. Disney should just strip EA from using the Star Wars license.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FireEmblem_Man

@GameboyTroy said:

I don't know what else to say about EA. They are a horrible company. Disney should just strip EA from using the Star Wars license.

Do you also believe in the racist developer as well?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup  Online

@GameboyTroy said:

Yea. Even something like Ubisoft would be better, they at least make diverse games.

And lol@ people using a out of context screenshot to make out this guy is racist.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FireEmblem_Man

@uninspiredcup said:
@GameboyTroy said:

Yea. Even something like Ubisoft would be better, they at least make diverse games.

And lol@ people using a out of context screenshot to make out this guy is racist.

LOL at you for denying it's fake!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:

Do you also believe in the racist developer as well?

The racist dev is racist.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Funny people at the company hate themselves and somehow expect people not not hate them.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We need another gaming crash to stop this crap.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

EA, a company that would make cancer feel ashamed to be associated with them,

Lol.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Dasein808 said:

Lol this guy isn't racist?

Okay change his cup into "black tears" and change the word "white" to "black" in his twitter posts...still not racist?

Oh wait, you can't be racist against white people right?

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#46 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

How many of you guys buy their copy and paste casual Fifa games? How many getting Star Wars Loot Crate II? I'm happy i dont buy any of their games anymore, not even the flop Andromeda. We all know EA are pure garbage, yet some still buy their garbage knowng its garbage. I hope people start waking up. Buy Persona 5, Horizon, Dragon Quest XI, Shadow of the Colossus Remake instead, stop buying FIFA COD Ass Creed. Stop supporting CRAP lol. Support good devs instead.

Oh and the racist guy... making a game about...

making a game about the war on drugs and destruction of black and brown communities in cities by white supremacy

WTF? lol... maybe he likes the black communities over in Angola? Or Somalia? They sure are peaceful over there! How about the community in Syria? I'm sure a white boy like me can go live over there in Syria like i do in the west. They will greet me with open arms! Oh wait.... no they wouldn't...

But of course... they are NOT racist. How can you be racist to whites? It is impossible. Only whites are racist...... this is the sad world we live in.

Anyway... this racist dev had a good job, making good money, working for a big company, living in a great country. Where is the racism? There will always be a racist everywhere. Be it in Italy, Spain, South Africa, Russia... anywhere! Same as there will always be murder and robberies. But to truly be against whites today is ridiculous. Like the overpaid NFL players taking a knee... what a joke! They should go take a knee over at ISIS territory!

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@EG101 said:

Because what they do with their money affects us all. It's not an isolated factor.

Everyone in this hobby has the right to buy what entertains them with their hard earned money. There are and should be no exceptions to this no matter how anyone tries to justify it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@EG101 said:
@Vatusus said:
@EG101 said:

Everyone in this hobby has the right to buy what entertains them with their hard earned money. There are and should be no exceptions to this no matter how anyone tries to justify it.

"I can buy w/e I want so fvck those who cant"

Thats basically how capitalism works. It's wrong and people see the wrong in it, but since it's all within legality no one dares to raise an eyebrow. Sure, its their money and they can do w/e they want with it, its not me who's gonna stop them. Saying this, I still have the right to criticize w/e I want

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

And that's why..... you don't bring your political/personal beliefs onto Twitter while representing a public company.

Pretty sure he has no choice but to start his own studio, as nobody will hire him now.