Eve battle costs 300k IRL money

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/28/unpaid-bill-costs-gamer-200000-in-eve-online/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCK-E5AopVI

Something consolites will never experience.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

EVE is home of great stories

http://www.qj.net/mmorpg/news/biggest-scam-in-eve-online-history.html

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Consoles can't achieve pc levels of gaming

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Microsoft Excel: The Game!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Expensive. Never knew that game's monetary system was linked with real currency. Sounds slightly lame.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Now, if they'd opted for cuddling instead of fighting, they wouldn't be missing Titan class ships.

I like EVE online.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Eve is a great screensaver. Shame about the game aspect.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@KHAndAnime said:

Expensive. Never knew that game's monetary system was linked with real currency. Sounds slightly lame.

They didn't actually spend that much money on their ships, it's just that the in-game currency can be converted into a real world value

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

@MonsieurX said:

This one is a bit sobering: http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

"Already the impact of Smith's death can be seen in game. More than 250 groups have renamed their space stations — a central hub in EVE Online — to memorialize Vile Rat, even if they were enemies in game."

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

They didn't actually spend that much money on their ships, it's just that the in-game currency can be converted into a real world value

$3,000 for one titan..even if somebody paid that kind of money it takes ages to train to actually fly one lol

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

PC = God Tier level of gaming. Peasant console kids will never see such epic level of news on their scrub platforms.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib

@lawlessx said:
@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

$3,000 for one titan..even if somebody paid that kind of money it takes ages to train to actually fly one lol

yeah, i think I saw somewhere that it takes like a year to train, and a month to build the ship

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lawlessx

@MonsieurX said:

"Now the community has barely had time to calm down and here it is, the next incident that easily surpasses the numbers GHSC achieved with their heist. It's the story of a guy named "cally", who ran a corporation, a player-operated bank called "Eve Intergalactic Bank". Over the course of four months, hundreds of players deposited money in his bank, which offered interest, loans and insurance like every other ordinary bank. Except for the fact that one day, cally decided to grab all the money that was deposited and fly off to space with an alleged total sum of 790 billion Isk. In real life, this would translate to $170,000 - quite possibly the biggest MMO scam ever conducted."

and the developers did nothing about it?...i love CCP

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

emphasis on this before people flip their shit

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

"lololoolol so people actually have to pay real money for ships just to have them blown up?! epic fail"

you mean like that?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

It's more about the idea that the Corp with who pays the most $$$ wins...

That doesn't sound lame to you? I don't think I could even consider playing a game where paying money gives you an advantage over people who don't...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wis3boi

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

That doesn't sound lame to you? I don't think I could even consider playing a game where paying money gives you an advantage over people who don't...

guessing you missed the part where buying these things would cost over $3000 per capital ship, not to mention the 12 months to train the crew and the other months of construction on the hull itself. You honestly think someone would spend that much money on a ship? and then lose it in battle? You're insane Tip: They dont buy them with real money, it's that you can convert ingame currency to real money and buy your subscription with it, etc. and this is how the cost of battle was calculated...conversion factor.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

EVE is shit for brainless casuals. Real space explorers play X-series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6581980ee0d
deactivated-5c6581980ee0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c6581980ee0d
Member since 2004 • 1658 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Isn't the X-series singleplayer? SO isn't this like comparing peaches and pears? Your comment is redundant.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KHAndAnime

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

guessing you missed the part where buying these things would cost over $3000 per capital ship, not to mention the 12 months to train the crew and the other months of construction on the hull itself. You honestly think someone would spend that much money on a ship? and then lose it in battle? You're insane Tip: They dont buy them with real money, it's that you can convert ingame currency to real money and buy your subscription with it, etc. and this is how the cost of battle was calculated...conversion factor.

You're a complete fool. Each person in a corporation of 3,000 would only have to donate $1 to get one of these ships...

$1 is insane? I think you're insane. I find $1 bills laying on the street...

You can't convert ingame currency to real money dingus - you can merely purchase a subscription with it. The article clearly states...

However, if players want a shortcut, they can put real-world money into the game to buy "EVE" currency and equipment, as determined by the exchange rate, but the money can only be exchanged from real to virtual.

People who are already playing the game probably aren't aching to pay for more subscription time. You think people who are willing to sacrifice hundreds of hours of their life for their corp aren't willing to sacrifice a few dollars every other week to help speed along and enhance their experience? I know tons of people of pay $20+ for items in MMO's that are purely cosmetic, so a few dollars for your guild/corp here and there doesn't seem to be as much of a stretch as you make it out to be.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lawlessx

^^ the article is wrong. you can't buy isk and ships in the game with real world currency.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Hundreds of thousands USD worth of damage.
The economy has been greatly impacted
Massive recoveries all around.

All of this more or less caused by one unpaid bill (though there were a lot of other external factors too)

This is what I truly call emergent gameplay, not the minimalistic stuff seen in the likes of GTA.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@wis3boi said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

You're a complete fool. Each person in a corporation of 3,000 would only have to donate $1 to get one of these ships...

$1 is insane? I think you're insane. I find $1 bills laying on the street...

You can't convert ingame currency to real money dingus - you can merely purchase a subscription with it. The article clearly states...

However, if players want a shortcut, they can put real-world money into the game to buy "EVE" currency and equipment, as determined by the exchange rate, but the money can only be exchanged from real to virtual.

People who are already playing the game probably aren't aching to pay for more subscription time. You think people who are willing to sacrifice hundreds of hours of their life for their corp aren't willing to sacrifice a few dollars every other week to help speed along and enhance their experience? I know tons of people of pay $20+ for items in MMO's that are purely cosmetic, so a few dollars for your guild/corp here and there doesn't seem to be as much of a stretch as you make it out to be.

@lawlessx said:

^^ the article is wrong. you can't buy isk and ships in the game with real world currency.

Face it KH, you dont play the game and are talking out your ass

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

truely crazy IMO

I never played the game, but you gotta pay a monthly fee to basically have a shield around your base or something? supposely thats the story or something idk

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

If I had the time I think I'd love to play it, some of the heist stories are simply epic.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Took me a few mins to find but for anyone who has never read this you should do so:

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

The greatest act in videogame history IMO

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Oh great. I've got hurt feelings now.

Thanks buddy.

Haha, but seriously. Have you played EVE? What didn't you like?

I found it quite isolating, I should have joined a corporation.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic: damn,. that was an epic tale. i like how he appealed to the target's inflated sense of pride, claiming flying the two big ships together would show off the corporations power.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime
@wis3boi said:

Face it KH, you dont play the game and are talking out your ass

No need to get angry dude. Quoting the article that this very thread is about is talking out of my ass? Anger management classes are calling your name...

The article, plain as day, says

Maybe you should take up your anger with the person writing the article? Don't get mad at me, I'm not the one spreading misinformation. Here you are, acting like I'm pretending to be an authority on Eve online...despite my very first post saying....

Never knew that game's monetary system was linked with real currency. Sounds slightly lame.

If you actually care that much about misinformation being spread about the game, you should probably start blaming the article and stop blaming the people who are being misinformed by it.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lawlessx

@CrownKingArthur said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Oh great. I've got hurt feelings now.

Thanks buddy.

Haha, but seriously. Have you played EVE? What didn't you like?

I found it quite isolating, I should have joined a corporation.

playing eve online solo can be very boring if you don't have a great understanding of the game. most start playing and leave within the first month or so because they didn't join a corp early on.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Sort of misleading title. That money wasn't spent, just to recoup the losses of the battle would cost that much if the F2P structure is skipped by using real-world money.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Eve players are to nerds what nerds are to normal people

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@dark_k said:
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Isn't the X-series singleplayer? SO isn't this like comparing peaches and pears? Your comment is redundant.

What I meant is MMOs are for casuals, no matter how anyone would like to oppose it. And as far as the actual space simulation is involved which also revolves around real space combat, and gigantic fleet micromanagement, X-series are unparalleled. Sorry.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

300k is just for the titan warships that were involved and destroyed. Last I heard, the estimated cost was well over 500k in real money.

I actually think this is fucking awesome. It's too bad the game is not intuitive at all, and ridiculous to learn, otherwise I'd be all over this.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lawlessx

@Vaasman said:

300k is just for the titan warships that were involved and destroyed. Last I heard, the estimated cost was well over 500k in real money.

I actually think this is fucking awesome. It's too bad the game is fucking horrible to try and get into and ridiculous to learn, otherwise I'd be all over this.

it's not nearly as difficult to get into as it was years ago. One just has to not think he/she can learn everything there is to learn about the game in less than a week.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

MMOs are for casuals, and EVE is a masturbation over stats. I'll repeat my "MMOs are for casuals" mantra forever.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

MMOs are for casuals, and EVE is a masturbation over stats. I'll repeat my "MMOs are for casuals" mantra forever.

How are MMO's casual compared to other games exactly?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

EVE Online: would never in a million fucking years even try that game, but so glad that game exists. The stories from that game are amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Oh get over yourself. the X games... while deep space sims, are easy. ANY A.I is easier than players....

so yea, keep saying the genre where people sepnds 100-1000s days of their lives playing... where only 50 guilds out of millions beat the top end content ect is casual.

stop talking out of your ass.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I once saw a video about EVE Online bullying upon which one of these massive tools didn't realise that when you take this stuff offline, and you get a chance to look at yourself doing this, you end up showing yourself up as one of the most pathetic people on the planet wasting hours on your life on literally nothing and being proud of it.

He was a thin nerd dressed as a wizard, in public, berating someone else for what they'd said to his "super cool character" (loser) in a game. The guy in question was pretty depressed with life and wanted people to stop picking on him which apparently makes him good bait for freaks.

At some point you just have to take a step outside and take a good long look at yourself. Games are a very fun distraction (and a time consuming treat) but taking it that seriously in order to escape the real world makes you a bigger loser than anybody as does acting like a big man because your character is a higher level. I will never understand some of these fools.