EU fines Microsoft 561 million euro for attempted web browser monopoly

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

They'll appeal, and win. It's hard to accuse someone for monopolizing when they have not got the majority share of browsers.questiontime23

They got fined because they admitted it was wrong and promised to change it(then didn't). 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/mar/06/microsoft-fined-browser-error

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Kind of silly. I'm not sure, under what law, they are required to give an option, considering it is their OS. 

lundy86_4

Competition I think. Which is odd as every other browser is free.

I think that's the best fit.

Pretty much, plus every other browser is actually bandied about, quite a lot. At the ed of the day, it is a Microsoft OS, and it's an odd ruling... I could be wrong, given a lack of understanding of prior rulings, and/or laws.

EU laws are weird. Thats why the EU deserves to die.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Competition I think. Which is odd as every other browser is free.clyde46

Pretty much, plus every other browser is actually bandied about, quite a lot. At the ed of the day, it is a Microsoft OS, and it's an odd ruling... I could be wrong, given a lack of understanding of prior rulings, and/or laws.

Pretty strong opinion :P Considering, i'm a Poli Sci major, I don't have all that much against the EU... Hmmmm.

Elite-Realist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Elite-Realist
Member since 2007 • 556 Posts
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Competition I think. Which is odd as every other browser is free.clyde46

So let me get this straight...If you don't agree with someone the alternative is death? Seriously where are people like you coming from? You also have to know that not everyone knows about other browsers (non tech savy people) , they use what they see.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#56 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

[QUOTE="Giancar"]And this matters to SW because.... ?????aroxx_ab

Same reason people take up Sony when they loose money in their TV section etc

I have a better question. Why do so many people on the internet spell lose with two o's?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
That sony land!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

So strange, when i isntall Mac OS X it never gives me the choice to install a different browser... are the EU prejudice towards Microsoft or something?

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="Giancar"]And this matters to SW because.... ?????millerlight89

Same reason people take up Sony when they loose money in their TV section etc

I have a better question. Why do so many people on the internet spell lose with two o's?

loosingENDS set the trend :P

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

So strange, when i isntall Mac OS X it never gives me the choice to install a different browser... are the EU prejudice towards Microsoft or something?

Phazevariance

Well back in the 90's Microsoft actually bankrupted a few browser companies by simply packaging in IE with every Windows.

I figure, if the case still holds up today, that it may have something to do with Microsoft's marketshare. 

Apple has like, 2-3% of the desktop market don't think? It may perhaps be a situation where even if every Mac owner uses Safari it poses no threat to any other company whereas that's not the case with Microsoft.

It's just a precautionary measure given Microsoft's near-monopoly.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Microsoft makes that in like a week lol, they'll be alright.  

[spoiler]

Since someone will quote for "proof", ill do the math.  

$6 billion profit every quarter (3 months)

$2 billion profit every month

$500 million profit every week 

[/spoiler]

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Elite-Realist

So let me get this straight...If you don't agree with someone the alternative is death? Seriously where are people like you coming from? You also have to know that not everyone knows about other browsers (non tech savy people) , they use what they see.

There's a certain religion that subscribes to that mentality, maybe he's a member.
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts

Just a convoluted wsay for the EU to get MS to finance Greece's bailout

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
[QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="Elite-Realist"][QUOTE="clyde46"] EU laws are weird. Thats why the EU deserves to die.

There's a certain religion that subscribes to that mentality, maybe he's a member.

Generalisations FTL.
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Frostbite24
[QUOTE="dramaybaz"][QUOTE="Frostbite24"][QUOTE="Elite-Realist"] So let me get this straight...If you don't agree with someone the alternative is death? Seriously where are people like you coming from? You also have to know that not everyone knows about other browsers (non tech savy people) , they use what they see.

Generalisations FTL.

How am I generalizing about something unnamed? You have no idea what I'm referring to.
Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts
[QUOTE="Sir_Graham"]

[QUOTE="Jack-Burton"] Company warzJack-Burton

Not wise for cows to go there. MS credit rating AAA. Sony credit rating BB- :|

Shhh you will ruin the chance for yet another cow circle jerk.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Good. Now ban them.
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#68 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
s
And this matters to SW because.... ?????Giancar
Tell that to stronglimpdog when he spews his daily sony hate on the company .. yet i don't see people complaining then... (double standard? ) I think EU should of charged them the 7.9 billion, humble balmer a little bit. That company has sucked since bill left, and it needs to stop with the bs... for instance... the bs known as windows 8..
Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Frostbite24
s[QUOTE="Giancar"]And this matters to SW because.... ?????Midnightshade29
Tell that to stronglimpdog when he spews his daily sony hate on the company .. yet i don't see people complaining then... (double standard? ) I think EU should of charged them the 7.9 billion, humble balmer a little bit. That company has sucked since bill left, and it needs to stop with the bs... for instance... the bs known as windows 8..

Did any of you acts-like-children think the same people that are questioning this thread's relevancy also questioned the relevancy of Sony company threads? Are you not old enough to understand the time-old "two wrongs don't make a right" maxim that 2-year-olds are taught? hmm?
Avatar image for MstaPrimeMnista
MstaPrimeMnista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 MstaPrimeMnista
Member since 2013 • 1042 Posts
There goes the money they were saving to get a developer. Game Over Microsoft.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Ouch. But I fail to see WHY they need to tell people there are other browsers on THEIR OS. Sounds as dull as saying "ATTEMPT ON MONOPOLY OF SOLITAIRE" because it doesn't show other versions.MBirdy88

Exactly, typical EU jibber-jabber I tell you.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#72 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

A company that doesn't care about a 561 million fine is a company that has grown too big. Maybe the fine should have been higher to  actually make a difference?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Ouch. But I fail to see WHY they need to tell people there are other browsers on THEIR OS. Sounds as dull as saying "ATTEMPT ON MONOPOLY OF SOLITAIRE" because it doesn't show other versions.Epak_

It's an unfair advantage over other browsers. It's like I would have my own very succesful TV channel and most families would primarily see my channel. Which is fine of course, until I decide that I am going to make all kinds of products and use my TV channel to only promote my products. If you make vacuum cleaners, you're out of luck because people only see me promote my vacuum cleaners. If you make lipstick you're out of luck as well, unless you were to first make your own very succesful TV channel or spend way more money on advertising than I do.

So by having almost a monopoly in one market I can wrestle out most competition in any other market. That's not the way it should work. Then a company would grow only bigger and have an easier time, at some point making it impossible for anyone to compete.

stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

Microsoft makes that in like a week lol, they'll be alright.  

[spoiler]

Since someone will quote for "proof", ill do the math.  

$6 billion profit every quarter (3 months)

$2 billion profit every month

$500 million profit every week 

[/spoiler]

StrongDeadlift

This is the reason why you are poor and probably still live in your mom house..You guys aka Lemmings dont understand the value of a dollar. This explain why you buy a crappy system ..It dont matter how rich you are it can be taken away from you in a blink of an eye.. There many rich companies that went bankrupt because of their stupidity..

stayhigh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 stayhigh1
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

A company that doesn't care about a 561 million fine is a company that has grown too big. Maybe the fine should have been higher to  actually make a difference?

KungfuKitten
It will be really arrogant of M$ to keep losing money just because they making billion of dollars on their software..NO companies like bleeding money ..Lemmings logic is MS makes a lot of money its perfectly fine to throw it all away.. I guess if they ever got into some serious legal stuff and go bankrupt MS got to blame it on the so called experts who say "its ok"
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Good to see the Union is watching over these things, but I fail to see how this is relevant.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 StrongDeadlift

There many rich companies that went bankrupt because of their stupidity..stayhigh1
Sony being one of them ;)

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts

Meh, Bill Gates spends more than that on a Friday night out.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
You need to learn how much money that really is and what that could mean to people working in the company who have families.
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Sagem28

[QUOTE="stayhigh1"] There many rich companies that went bankrupt because of their stupidity..StrongDeadlift

Sony is bankrupt ?

Themoreyouknow.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

stayhigh1
It will be really arrogant of M$ to keep losing money just because they making billion of dollars on their software..NO companies like bleeding money ..Lemmings logic is MS makes a lot of money its perfectly fine to throw it all away.. I guess if they ever got into some serious legal stuff and go bankrupt MS got to blame it on the so called experts who say "its ok"

Yeah I was just going by what people are saying on here.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 KungfuKitten
[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

That is soooo American :P
BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Next up, TGI Friday's is being sued because they dont show their customers the chilli's menu.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#83 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Massive slap to the face ...
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 StrongDeadlift

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

[QUOTE="stayhigh1"] There many rich companies that went bankrupt because of their stupidity..Sagem28

Sony is bankrupt ?

Themoreyouknow.

Heading that way :)

Dem junk bonds :(

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Ouch. But I fail to see WHY they need to tell people there are other browsers on THEIR OS. Sounds as dull as saying "ATTEMPT ON MONOPOLY OF SOLITAIRE" because it doesn't show other versions.KungfuKitten

It's an unfair advantage over other browsers. It's like I would have my own very succesful TV channel and most families would primarily see my channel. Which is fine of course, until I decide that I am going to make all kinds of products and use my TV channel to only promote my products. If you make vacuum cleaners, you're out of luck because people only see me promote my vacuum cleaners. If you make lipstick you're out of luck as well, unless you were to first make your own very succesful TV channel or spend way more money on advertising than I do.

So by having almost a monopoly in one market I can wrestle out most competition in any other market. That's not the way it should work. Then a company would grow only bigger and have an easier time, at some point making it impossible for anyone to compete.

I hear you. Does OSx promote other browsers, or any other operating system for that matter? I know maybe one person who is still using IE.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
most folks i know use Chrome or Firefox nowadays, not to mention should apple not be sued for attempted platform monopoly with Safari on the Mac? I personally think the EU is a sham of an organisation for many reasons i wont bother going into and to be fair in most senses i think a lot of ideologies possesed by the EU have cause unesseceary problems like the horsemeat scandal and the emphasis on the "free" market has caused many issues. But i dont agree with the fine or the original ruling, because lets be fair even someone with an IQ of 70 could easily manage to install chrome without much hassle and ignore IE.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#87 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts
Good to see EU taking care of the REAL issues... ....
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Sagem28

Well, somebody needs to keep an eye on those Multi billion dollar companies.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 razgriz_101

Good to see EU taking care of the REAL issues... ....001011000101101

its the EU what do you expect, when something goes down they expect the big 3 to always bail out and frankly as a Brit with our own pressing issues im fed up having to bail out other countries for crap they put themselves in.

Or the horsemeat scandal.

Or the attempted ban on modifying cars...

The shortcomings of the immigration system which in turn has slowly crippled our low end job market and British people are struggling to find even minimum wage work, for example the standard of some immigrants english at my work is absolutely horrendous and as a supervisor i've had to take a basic Polish course despite the fact we are in the UK just to accomodate...which in my eyes is a major cause of concern despite how it sounds.

The EU's just a useless busybody that costs us money, and before im accused of being a tory or what not i actually favour the SNP on most issues apart from their stance on the EU.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 razgriz_101

Sagem28

yeah by an organisation ran by idiots and rife with monumental incompetance.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

razgriz_101

I'll just write your comment off as ignorance. Or arrogance.

Haven't decided yet.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Sagem28

Haven't decided yet.

how?so Look at the horsemeat scandal, the haphazard approach to the Euro and the whole bailout centric ideology that IM paying for despite it not being my fault, their stance on many things especially in the UK right now this ideology of the EU being an incompetant bunch of idiots is actually a pretty common opinion no matter what party or ideology you support. Right now we've got the horsemeat scandal which to be brutalyl honest stems from gross incometence and standards set by the EU and some member states abusing and supermarkets cheapening the price of meat which around 10 years ago was something we ate less of. Theres so many things i can point out as wrong with the EU its unbelievable and honestly the quicker the UK leaves the EU the better its a organisation hell bent on centralisation to countries which have nothing in common with us but the continent.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

psh, thats nothing to MS, thats what, kinecting fund?

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Sagem28

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

razgriz_101

Haven't decided yet.

how?so Look at the horsemeat scandal, the haphazard approach to the Euro and the whole bailout centric ideology that IM paying for despite it not being my fault, their stance on many things especially in the UK right now this ideology of the EU being an incompetant bunch of idiots is actually a pretty common opinion no matter what party or ideology you support. Right now we've got the horsemeat scandal which to be brutalyl honest stems from gross incometence and standards set by the EU and some member states abusing and supermarkets cheapening the price of meat which around 10 years ago was something we ate less of. Theres so many things i can point out as wrong with the EU its unbelievable and honestly the quicker the UK leaves the EU the better its a organisation hell bent on centralisation to countries which have nothing in common with us but the continent.

Yup, ignorance.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Haven't decided yet.

Sagem28

Yup, ignorance.

not really my point lies within why should i have to bail out other countries for their shortcomings when i have more pressing issues at home.

Horsemeat scandal shows the sheer incompetence of the EU in terms of food safety and testing which in all honesty should be common place in this day and age, its a huge problem that lies within the free market and standardisation should have been implemeneted long ago before any of this happened NOW only are they talking about it.

But nah the EU feels its time is much better spent chasing corporations for what in the real world feels like a minor thing, wheres the record fines for companies like Findus? for miselling the product and the fact that bute an anti-inflammatory drug which is not licensed for food consumption or even allwoed to be used by humans anymore gets into a supply chain and theres no fines yet theres record fines for an internet browser.

you may think its ignorance but the EU is generally a waste of space in my opinion they have done very little good in my life time, the eurozone's been a monumental clusterfeck sice 2008, they arent doing much action wise on the horsemeat scandal and sitting on their hands a lot on major issues.

I just personalyl think the EU's not really needed it should have stuck as the EEC and nothing more, its an organisation that to be brutally honet has went past its station in terms of what it can and cant do, it all started off as an economic organisation based on trading in the50's and has becoming something more and wants to become a european wide country that falls under one banner and not something i wish as a Brit.

PS you never provide a counter arguement, and if i i recall correctly your Belgian and well...we all know that track record you'll follow the beat of anyone's drum if need be.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

The European Commission said on March 6 that it imposed a 561 million euro fine on Microsoft for failing to offer Windows users the browser choice screen that allows users to pick a web browser, rather than use Microsofts Internet Explorer browser by default.

Microsoft was required to do so for a period of five years by the terms of its antitrust settlement with the Commission in 2009. However, the company failed to include the browser choice screen when it rolled out Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

As a consequence, an estimated 15.3 million Windows users in Europe were not shown the screen over a period of 14 months between May 2011 and July 2012 the EC said.

In 2009, we closed our investigation about a suspected abuse of dominant position by Microsoft due to the tying of Internet Explorer to Windows by accepting commitments offered by the company [...] A failure to comply is a very serious infringement that must be sanctioned accordingly, EC vice president in charge of competition policy, Joaquin Almunia, said in a statement.

Following an in-depth investigation and taking into account Microsoft´s reply to our objections, todays decision finds that Microsoft has indeed breached its legally binding commitments, he said.

Nevertheless, the US software manufacturer got off relatively easy, considering that the EU could have levied a fine of up to 10 per cent of the companys global turnover in the preceding business year, in which case the fine would have been close to $7.9 billion.

http://sofiaglobe.com/2013/03/06/eu-fines-microsoft-561m-euro-for-browser-screen-fail/

Kjranu
This is so 1997 when it was Netscape vs Microsoft's IE...Deja vu anyone?
Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Sagem28

That horsemeat scandal is a bad example.

Maybe it's a scandal in the UK, but over here people don't really give a crap. It's mentioned on the news once or twice, and after that it's just forgotten.
Yes, they should tell us what is in our meatballs, but it's not like it's the end of the world.

Horsemeat is edible, and freaking tasty.
A company abusing his monopoly position is a far worse offence.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

Epak_

I hear you. Does OSx promote other browsers, or any other operating system for that matter? I know maybe one person who is still using IE.

That is a really good question. I don't know that they do.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

But nah the EU feels its time is much better spent chasing corporations for what in the real world feels like a minor thing, wheres the record fines for companies like Findus? for miselling the product and the fact that bute an anti-inflammatory drug which is not licensed for food consumption or even allwoed to be used by humans anymore gets into a supply chain and theres no fines yet theres record fines for an internet browser.

razgriz_101

Investigation of this horse meat scandal will take long time. It isn't really fair to expect them to be handing fines after a month or two without even knowing who to fine. The fear of getting phenylbutazone into food chain is minimal at best. It is rarely used in Europe. Secondly you'd have to eat hundreds of horse meat burgers in a day to even get the daily human therapeutic dose, if the said horses were treated with phenylbutazone. And it is still rarely used in human medicine.