Epic calls on PS4 and next Xbox to deliver the maximum amount of computing power

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Huh, why ya think he didn't include Wii U ? :shock: :P

Anyway, agreed !! :D

Thoughts ?

The Story

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-epic-calls-on-ps4-and-next-xbox-to-deliver-the-maximum-amount-of-computing-power-economically-possible

Epic calls on PS4 and next Xbox to deliver "the maximum amount of computing power economically possible"

To "ensure they will remain relevant for another generation".

Epic Games has called on Microsoft and Sony to make the next Xbox and PlayStation 4 as powerful as "economically possible".

Why? To make sure both devices "remain relevant for another generation" - at a time when tablets and smartphones are becoming increasingly powerful.

Speaking to Eurogamer sister site GamesIndustry International, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney said the role of consoles is to "define the highest and most impressive graphics experience anywhere in the industry".

"They focus on delivering teraflops of computing performance in a way that a portable device or an economical computer really couldn't, despite sheer focus on that one aspect," he said.

Epic showed off its Unreal Engine 4tech demo behind closed doors at GDC last week, with a public showing expected later this year.

It is rumoured to be tied in with new hardware - the next-generation of consoles from Microsoft and Sony, both reportedly set to debut at E3 2012 in June. Reports have pegged the horsepower of the next Xbox at around six times the power of the Xbox 360. Others suggest visuals pumped out by high-end PCs using the DirectX 11 standard provide a glimpse at what will be possible,

For Sweeney, it is imperative the next-generation push graphics as far as possible.

"Really, that's the reason consoles exist in the future," he said. "They have an enormous amount of graphics processing power that delivers an experience that goes far beyond what you can get on a lighter weight device.

"Pushing forward, we measure that performance in teraflops, trillions of floating point operations per second. When I started programming, you had about one thousand floating point operations per second. Now we have, on nVidia's fastest hardware, two-and-a half to three teraflops.

"To push next-generation up to those levels will really ensure that they will remain relevant for another generation, even as other cool consumer devices like iPads and iPhones become more prevalent."

Last week a report claimed the next Xbox will not include a disc drive. Instead, it will apparently use solid state storage.

Sweeney said such a move would benefit the performance of games, but cautioned against the cost of releasing games on a solid state drive.

"You see that spinning optical media has about 250 milliseconds of latency," he said. "If you want to get some bits from somewhere else on the disc, you have to wait a quarter of a second for the little mechanical elements to move the head around so they can read it. A hard-disc is about 20 times faster than that, and a solid state drive is tens of thousands of times faster. It's basically the speed of electrons that limits the solid state drive.

"One of the major things a game needs to do in a world with a large environment and lots of graphical resources is continually go out and pull new textures and sounds and 3D models from different places in the storage media. So solid state drives have a really dramatic advantage from that point of view. It would certainly be desirable for the working storage to be solid state or some other extremely fast medium. But that's a completely separate question from distribution media. Solid state drive costs are fairly expensive."

He added: "You couldn't ship a game on a cartridge that's a solid state drive itself. It would terribly prohibitive economically. You could potentially envision downloading a game from the internet to a solid state drive, or taking it off of optical media and installing it on a solid state drive.

"There are lots of ways to get a game onto optimal media for playing the game. If you look at decoupling the distribution media, whether it's internet or storage from the streaming medium (which is used during gameplay), you see far more flexibility than just in current console games. If all you have is a spinning drive, you just have to go out, load a resource, and wait for a drive to go out and do its mechanical work."

Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts
cant wait for ridge racer in 1080p
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

MS and Sony should listen to them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

cant wait for ridge racer in 1080pPikachu69er
Pfft, child's play, try duel 1080P in 4D !! :P

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

meh, i really dont think they care

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
so how many companies do we expect to go bankrupt and out of business next gen? these people are crazy. graphical updates are great and all but not a lot of developers can keep up with the forever growing development fees that comes with next gen.
Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

I remember when Epic said they were responsible for MS putting 512Mb of Ram in the system instead of 256Mb...
Seriously, right now, 512 has been far from enough for a while.... Imagine if we had had 256Mb!!!!

Althought I think Epic are just a bunch of loudmouth, they are actually smarter than MS and Sony for seeing what will be necessary in the long run!!!!!!
I have to agree with them!!!!!!

Pikachu69er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pikachu69er
Member since 2012 • 1381 Posts

[QUOTE="Pikachu69er"]cant wait for ridge racer in 1080pSecretPolice

Pfft, child's play, try duel 1080P in 4D !! :P

just the sound of that will give kaz harai a boner
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
To me this is them saying that the Wii-U is not as powerfful as they want. Some how I am getting we are disappointed with the current power levels being talked about for next gen.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

To me this is them saying that the Wii-U is not as powerfful as they want. Some how I am getting we are disappointed with the current power levels being talked about for next gen. HarlockJC
I'm getting that same vibe.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
So WiiU is Wii of next gen confirmed? At least it'll be able to run UE3 :lol: . if next gen has a graphical jump like we've seen from last to current gen, i'm soooo getting at least one system (probably the first released unless the 2nd one is much more powerful).
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
so how many companies do we expect to go bankrupt and out of business next gen? these people are crazy. graphical updates are great and all but not a lot of developers can keep up with the forever growing development fees that comes with next gen. Rahnyc4
Oh come on man , you seruously mean this? We are in 7th year of this gen and we might see Xbox/Ps3 next year... Thats 8 years... So in a way you telling me you wouldnt mind to gaming on PS2 right now? a 10 years cycle or more each gen since SNES? Then by that logic gaming would be in PS2 this very moment. Not PS4.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HarlockJC
So WiiU is Wii of next gen confirmed? At least it'll be able to run UE3 :lol: . if next gen has a graphical jump like we've seen from last to current gen, i'm soooo getting at least one system (probably the first released unless the 2nd one is much more powerful).silversix_
I don't think you will see as large of a jump next gen. The main reason for such a jump was the Standard to HD. My PC is top of the line, do many of the games look better on the PC than the PS3/360 yes they do. But not by very large amounts. I don't see MS caving in to EPIC again next gen with how much ram they put into their console.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

To me this is them saying that the Wii-U is not as powerfful as they want.HarlockJC

It's not. Xbox 3 won't be either though. Next gen will be different from 7th gen, 3rd party devs will be disappointed.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual. Heil68
Pfft, not even the most top of the line gaming PC's today can handle the awesomeness the Kinect 2 games will deliver. :o :twisted:

And just so ya know, the Rare launch games will prove it. :shock: :P

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Already read an article saying that Epic's CEO said that if MS and Sony don't deliver ''Bleeding-Edge'' consoles NexGen, Apple is going to beat them.

Apple.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="Heil68"]MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual. SecretPolice

Pfft, not even the most top of the line gaming PC's today can handle the awesomeness the Kinect 2 games will deliver. :o :twisted:

It's true, cause no PCs are compatible with Kinect. So you're right.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
So WiiU is Wii of next gen confirmed? At least it'll be able to run UE3 :lol: . if next gen has a graphical jump like we've seen from last to current gen, i'm soooo getting at least one system (probably the first released unless the 2nd one is much more powerful).silversix_
It'll be able to run UE4... the engine itself is very light on hardware, it's what the dev does with it that'll bog it down...
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68

[QUOTE="Heil68"]MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual. SecretPolice

Yea..  "Rare has brought us some truly incredible Kinect games and has set a high standard for everyone else making Kinect games. " :lol:
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual. DeadMan1290

Fellow gamer, you're missing out big time, just ask Heil68 :o so run don't walk to the nearest Kinect retailer.....

"By officiallybringing Kinect to the personal computer, Microsoft today arguably brought the future one step closer to the present. The (relatively) inexpensive motion sensor, released in November for the Xbox 360, is now supported on Windows.

"Gesture-based computing, these new types of interfaces," said Julian Dale, an undergrad programming student at Portland's Lewis and Clark College, "yeah, it's the future – but it's kinda already here."

I kid, I kid. :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]MS wont need the power since they went 100% casual. Heil68

Yea..  "Rare has brought us some truly incredible Kinect games and has set a high standard for everyone else making Kinect games. " :lol:

To be fair, that's technically a game dev'ed by Big Park so think about this, just what has the Rare team been working on for the last few years ? :shock: Here's a clue... Next gen !! :D

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Pfft, not even the most top of the line gaming PC's today can handle the awesomeness the Kinect 2 games will deliver. :o :twisted:

SecretPolice

Fellow gamer, you're missing out big time, just ask Heil68 :o so run don't walk to the nearest Kinect retailer.....

"By officiallybringing Kinect to the personal computer, Microsoft today arguably brought the future one step closer to the present. The (relatively) inexpensive motion sensor, released in November for the Xbox 360, is now supported on Windows.

"Gesture-based computing, these new types of interfaces," said Julian Dale, an undergrad programming student at Portland's Lewis and Clark College, "yeah, it's the future – but it's kinda already here."

Looks like they won't be bringing the games because they know PC gamers actually have taste and standards.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heil68
just what has the Rare team been working on for the last few years ? :shock: Here's a clue... Next gen !! :DSecretPolice
"Videogamer asked Nick if he could give a clue as to what we would see next from Rare. Nick answered with a vague but revealing answer: "It will feature Kinect in some way"
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

Heil68

Looks like they won't be bringing the games because they know PC gamers actually have taste and standards.

The wonders of Kinect, no doubt. :o

Take a peek and drool. :twisted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/10/10-amazing-kinect-hacks/

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"] just what has the Rare team been working on for the last few years ? :shock: Here's a clue... Next gen !! :DHeil68
"Videogamer asked Nick if he could give a clue as to what we would see next from Rare. Nick answered with a vague but revealing answer: "It will feature Kinect in some way"

Well sure I mean, just look at teh definitive version of ME3 on 360 with Kinect. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"] just what has the Rare team been working on for the last few years ? :shock: Here's a clue... Next gen !! :DSecretPolice

Well sure I mean, just look at teh definitive version of ME3 on 360 with Kinect. :P

all you have to know is Rare's next game wont be Conker..muhahahaahahaha
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"][QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"] just what has the Rare team been working on for the last few years ? :shock: Here's a clue... Next gen !! :DHeil68
"Videogamer asked Nick if he could give a clue as to what we would see next from Rare. Nick answered with a vague but revealing answer: "It will feature Kinect in some way" QUOTE]Well sure I mean, just look at teh definitive version of ME3 on 360 with Kinect. :P

all you have to know is Rare's next game wont be Conker..muhahahaahahaha

:P

Perhaps not but at least the box art is done for this one :shock:

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Reggie Fils Aime just took a big a$$ dump.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Sony and Microsoft are going to need to follow what makes a console strong, not a gimmick. Unfortunatly I don't see Microsoft following that route. I think they'll put kinect all over the place and focus on that.

E3 will show us what is up.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DeadMan1290

Sony and Microsoft are going to need to follow what makes a console strong, not a gimmick. Unfortunatly I don't see Microsoft following that route. I think they'll put kinect all over the place and focus on that.

Wasdie

You think Sony will give up and throw Move away and forget all about it?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
There is no reason they can't and I don't wanna hear the sob story about devs... They already make PC games look better then consoles. Also they already got graphics SKU's from Epic and other companies to use if they can't figure out how to do any thing. I'm focusing all my cash into PC. Getting ready for a long ride. If the rumors are true and consoles really are gonna suck as bad as they say.... Then I should get 4-5 years out of my current PC. Don't see the point if they are just gonna screw around and make a bunch of fuss over a tiny bit of power increase. There is nothing exciting about that. Doesn't drive people like me to spend $ on it. Sad thing is people don't care. They don't know what prices really are for HW. They think it cost an arm and a leg for a moderate pice of HW. When it really doesn't. There the kind of people that buy store bought PC's and get milked. That's why they will prob go the gimped HW and all the people that don't know crap about it... Will say "yeah that's great!" when it really isn't. They will make a profit off you for the console. Then make a profit off you for each game and online. Where are the days when they sold consoles for a loss? I remember when people knew what specs were. Now everyone don't care. They just see big numbers and think it means something great. Will be great if we get a true next gen system... Something that sells for $100 loss. But I'm not holding my breath.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice

There is no reason they can't and I don't wanna hear the sob story about devs... They already make PC games look better then consoles. Also they already got graphics SKU's from Epic and other companies to use if they can't figure out how to do any thing. I'm focusing all my cash into PC. Getting ready for a long ride. If the rumors are true and consoles really are gonna suck as bad as they say.... Then I should get 4-5 years out of my current PC. Don't see the point if they are just gonna screw around and make a bunch of fuss over a tiny bit of power increase. There is nothing exciting about that. Doesn't drive people like me to spend $ on it. Sad thing is people don't care. They don't know what prices really are for HW. They think it cost an arm and a leg for a moderate pice of HW. When it really doesn't. There the kind of people that buy store bought PC's and get milked. That's why they will prob go the gimped HW and all the people that don't know crap about it... Will say "yeah that's great!" when it really isn't. They will make a profit off you for the console. Then make a profit off you for each game and online. Where are the days when they sold consoles for a loss? I remember when people knew what specs were. Now everyone don't care. They just see big numbers and think it means something great. Will be great if we get a true next gen system... Something that sells for $100 loss. But I'm not holding my breath.Truth_Hurts_U
I sorta feel the same way but what keeps me hanging on is some specific console only franchises that I have become very attached to so I dunno what I'll do but sure am hoping that at least the next box delivers a true next gen console with much larger & louder bells & whistles.

It's a we shall see.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DeadMan1290

No, but it won't be the focus of the console.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DeadMan1290

Move is a peripheral just there to cash in on the Wii craze.

Kinect is a platform MS invested heavily in and it basically relaunched Xbox 360.

The next xbox will be tablet based and kinect / kinect 2.0 will come with the hardware because it will be integral to the xbox experience next gen.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]I sorta feel the same way but what keeps me hanging on is some specific console only franchises that I have become very attached to so I dunno what I'll do but sure am hoping that at least the next box delivers a true next gen console with much larger & louder bells & whistles. It's a we shall see.

Yeah, I will miss some games I wanna play. But I've been retraining myself to not be tempted. I am a collector... I'm just not motivated any more. I just seek out the longest lasting games I wanna play and put all my energy into them. Instead of buying tons of games and playing them all as fast as I can. Just sucks everyone gotta ride the casual train. No love for the people that built them.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]I sorta feel the same way but what keeps me hanging on is some specific console only franchises that I have become very attached to so I dunno what I'll do but sure am hoping that at least the next box delivers a true next gen console with much larger & louder bells & whistles. It's a we shall see.Truth_Hurts_U
Yeah, I will miss some games I wanna play. But I've been retraining myself to not be tempted. I am a collector... I'm just not motivated any more. I just seek out the longest lasting games I wanna play and put all my energy into them. Instead of buying tons of games and playing them all as fast as I can. Just sucks everyone gotta ride the casual train. No love for the people that built them.

We agree, man, that first part of your post is how in the past I would play games but yeah, last couple of gens it's been like so many great games you feel ya just got to have them and then can't find the time to play them all to their full extent.

Hmm, making me think and that could be dangerous. :P

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

Every Xbox console has been the most powerful if not tied for most. I don't see them changing that because of Kinect.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice

Wasdie

Like ya said, E3 should clear some things up but wouldn't you agree that MS is in the best position to deliver the biggest bang for the buck ?

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

Wasdie

not this year for ms, i serious think they will finall bring up next box e3 2013 and launch it literally months later.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

if ppl believe next gen will be a huge leap of power from this one.....they need to wake up and stop living in SW dream world

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice

if ppl believe next gen will be a huge leap of power from this one.....they need to wake up and stop living in SW dream world

Mario1331

It lies to you :o trust me, mah crystal ball > yours. :P

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

No, but it won't be the focus of the console.

I hope it's not. I got a feeling though that Sony will most likely release something similar to Kinect...

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

SecretPolice

Like ya said, E3 should clear some things up but wouldn't you agree that MS is in the best position to deliver the biggest bang for the buck ?

For casuals yes.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DeadMan1290

For casuals yes.

Don't believe the hype. :twisted:

Anyway, no, they are in the best position to sell at a loss and make it up later for both 50% casual and 50% core they're aiming for. :P

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#47 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
To me this is them saying that the Wii-U is not as powerfful as they want. Some how I am getting we are disappointed with the current power levels being talked about for next gen. HarlockJC
My first thought exactly.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HarlockJC

I hope it's not. I got a feeling though that Sony will most likely release something similar to Kinect...

DeadMan1290

I hope so. I look at the Wiimote and Kinect as the start towards a new level of interaction gaming.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

HarlockJC

I hope so. I look at the Wiimote and Kinect as the start towards a new level of interaction gaming.

Only one thing blew me away with the Kinect: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. If gaming is like that NexGen I'm in.

imelitenow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 imelitenow
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

The 720 will have superior hardware next gen, just like this gen.