EA's new excuse on why they won't support the Switch.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Video Games Chronicle

EA CEO Andrew Wilson has explained the publisher’s lack of support for Nintendo Switch.

The company doesn’t release lot of games on Nintendo’s console (the Switch page on its site lists just four currently available titles) and when it does, they’re often stripped of the headline features available on other platforms.

For example, the Legacy Edition of FIFA 20 being released on Switch this September won’t include any of the “big new features” included in other version of the game such as Volta street football.

During EA’s first quarter earnings call on Tuesday, an analyst said they thought The Sims franchise might be well suited to Switch, but EA’s top executive suggested otherwise.

While his response was largely centred on The Sims, Wilson also claimed that “a great many” Switch owners do play EA games, only they tend to do so on other gaming platforms they own.

“Any time we’re evaluating platform conversations we’re really looking at a couple of things,” he explained. “One, does the game really fit the profile of that platform in terms of the control or the community ecosystem? Two, do we think the community playing on that platform would appreciate the game and go there, or would they prefer to play it somewhere else?

“We have a lot of data that would suggest a great many Switch owners also own a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One or a PC and very often choose to play the games that we make on those platforms, even though they have a Switch and they enjoy a lot of great content on the Switch.

While Wilson didn’t rule out The Sims ever coming to Nintendo’s console, the chances appear slim.

“I wouldn’t say that The Sims would never go to the Switch, but I think we’re doing really, really well attracting Sims players [to other platforms],” he said.

“We did a promotion in the last couple of months and brought in seven million new Sims players that we expect will engage in that community on a platform that is really tailored to user generated content, creativity and customisation.”

Elsewhere on the call, Wilson said 8-10 million players are engaging with Apex Legends on a weekly basis, ahead of plans to bring the series to mobile devices worldwide, and to launch the game in China, during the company’s next financial year.

He also teased Apex Legends season 3 and confirmed EA’s gearing up to reveal the new Need for Speed game in the coming weeks, while chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said EA has been working on games for next-gen consoles like Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5 “for some time”.

What the hell? What kind of an excuse is that?

I mean, yes EA, I have more than just my Nintendo Switch and Wii U (current gen is XBOX ONE, any PC gaming I do is for older games mostly), but that doesn't mean I don't want to see third parties I support on other consoles develop for the Switch. Far from it as I have plenty of third party titles for it, so by your logic, Ubisoft, WB, Bethesda, Capcom (who to be fair is a JOKE on the Switch with few exceptions), Activision, Tecmo Koei/Team Ninja, SEGA, Namco Bandai (your Japanese counterpart, except with better games), and all these indies shouldn't bother either?

Just admit you dislike Nintendo and be done with it (even though one of your former employees now heads NoA), even Trip Hawkins, one of your co-founders made that clear.

At least we're long past the phase of 'No EA support = failure', because that was REALLY only true with the Dreamcast (the Wii U HAD some EA games). And thankfully, we can deal without them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

XBONE AND ps4 can KEEP EA and their shit games too.

all hail nintendo the king in the north.

the king in the north

the king in the north!

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

Real reason: Nintendo doesn't want them bankrupting children with microtransactions.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

The more and more you work in these types of environments, the more you learn the higher-ups can be outright morons. I've seen dumb-as-shit decisions on a smaller scale, but still just dumb.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

I thought sales of EA games were pretty poor on Switch? Plus Switch's limited format scares third parties off too. Don't see why they couldn't at least get a Sims game though.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Should have bought Fifa 19.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendoboy16
@Ant_17 said:

And we didn't. Thank the Gods...

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Translation: "People aren't buying the handful of shitty ports we've released for the Switch, so to hell with 'em!"

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ant_17

@nintendoboy16 said:
@Ant_17 said:

But now no EA games, ever.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#10 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Oh no... whatever will I do without all of EA's shit games being on the Switch... play actual good games instead.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I'm not surprised, EA is making too many excuses to not support Nintendo. Well, EA doesn't know they're not important as they think. So fuq'em, and move on.

@Bread_or_Decide This is why you bought your shares for EA?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FireEmblem_Man
@Ant_17 said:

Why? FIFA 19 was nothing special and didn't have any modes the other versions have.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

They do have point in term of sales though. Switch owners not buying to justify a port, it makes sense.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man
@sakaixx said:

They do have point in term of sales though. Switch owners not buying to justify a port, it makes sense.

No, it doesn't! The investors sees that the Switch is a success, EA is making an excuse not to put their games in the platform, and that's not a good look for investors to ignore a platform that shows success.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ant_17

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Ant_17 said:

Why? FIFA 19 was nothing special and didn't have any modes the other versions have.

Really?

I would think they would shove the whale mode.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man
@Ant_17 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Ant_17 said:

Really?

I would think they would shove the whale mode.

Nope

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16
@Ant_17 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Ant_17 said:

But now no EA games, ever.

Oh well, EA's been a joke for almost a decade anyway. Lost me after Sim City 2013.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts
@baelnergal said:

Real reason: Nintendo doesn't want them bankrupting children with microtransactions.

Most likely.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Half-ass ports won't breed success. It's an issue at the base level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

Must be Nintendos resistance to excessive microtransactions, because the last Fifa game wasnt even a port but version built from the ground up for switch.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Smart move. If you own a Switch, you already own a relevant system. Assuming you’re older than 15, that is.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Basically they are looking for the best way to milk money from gamers as always. Or basically, they see that Nintendo is NOT Political and is not interested in milking their own fan base for money. That's why people got on them about how they made Super Mario Run, They didn't like the fact they allowed people to buy the whole game and get everything, No strings attached. And EA wonders why they are the worst company in the world, because you milk the gamers.

That said, The switch is already getting tons of 3rd party support, so EA’s lack of support isn’t a huge loss to Switch but it does make EA look like a fool cause the Switch is getting more popular. I would love to play Dead Space on the go but oh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#23 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

How devastating, now we'll be forced to play good games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

Half-ass ports won't breed success. It's an issue at the base level.

Best selling 3rd party games on switch is only 2m sold and had mario name attached to it. Make sense to not invest much on switch based on statistics, 3rd party games on switch just don't sell much to warrant a AAA effort.

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheMisterManGuy
Member since 2011 • 264 Posts

EA is full of shit and they know this, considering other third parties have done very well on Switch. Take Two, Ubisoft, Square Enix, Bandai Namco all are still willing to give the Switch support, even if most of its owners have other consoles, even Fucking Capcom is willing to throw the Switch bones regularly. They're just trying to weasel their way out of supporting a successful platform because they can. Then again, this is the same company who tried to spin loot boxes as "Surprise Mechanics". What did I really expect at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

All major 3rd party support ends when PS5 releases anyway, may as well start early. The sims on anything but PC is a joke as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

All these alternative theories when the answer was already spelt out in the article. Gamers are silly sometimes.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

@Pedro said:

All these alternative theories when the answer was already spelt out in the article. Gamers are silly sometimes.

Well, EA does have this little problem with telling the truth...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@baelnergal said:

Well, EA does have this little problem with telling the truth...

You all take this shit too seriously when you treat companies like people.

Avatar image for TheMisterManGuy
TheMisterManGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheMisterManGuy
Member since 2011 • 264 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

All major 3rd party support ends when PS5 releases anyway, may as well start early. The sims on anything but PC is a joke as well.

It won't. There'll still be a lot of Cross-gen and AA games after next gen arrives.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@phbz said:

How devastating, now we'll be forced to play good games.

Lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

They sound salty about Nintendo refunding that guy for his stupid kids buying player packs on FIFA.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoboy16
@Sevenizz said:

Smart move. If you own a Switch, you already own a relevant system. Assuming you’re older than 15, that is.

Don't throw rocks in glass houses, dude.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts
@Random_Matt said:

All major 3rd party support ends when PS5 releases anyway, may as well start early.

LOL. The PS5 is going to get nothing more than mostly cross-gen games with PS4 within 2 or 3 years of it's release, tops.

By the time that they start to get games that aren't cross-gen'd, Nintendo will be out with their Switch successor.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

It's a smart move on their part. They're aware that most people will opt out of paying full price, even years later, for an inferior version. Nintendo need to stop that. It's asinine to really think that I'd ever pay $60 to play The Witcher 3 in 540p smh

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

What I read is "We believe gamers are already playing these games not available on the Switch elsewhere, so why should we put them on the Switch?" My thought is this, duh..if the game isn't available on the Switch, they HAVE to be playing them elsewhere if they are playing them. EA execs are not the most intelligent, I think.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@sakaixx said:

This.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well that’s EA’s lose then. Regardless of if Switch owners have other systems to play those games on there are there are still those who don’t and those who would prefer to get the version that they can also play on the go. Plus you would also have those who may even double dip and get two versions of a game. Anyway as the sales for the Switch continue to climb investors are going to increasingly wonder why there is no Switch version for many of EA’s games.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I understand EA to a certain extent which doesn't happen often. But I'm sure a madden would sell ok but I suppose ok is not worth the risk.