EA: We don't want to piss off Dead Space fans

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Dat broadened appeal. Say your final prayers for Dead Space now.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
Safe to say I'm already pissed off...Co-Op will get rid of the feeling that being in isolation gave and more action will just turn it into room after room of gun fights. Resident Evil 5 springing to mind here?!
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I still don't get the amount of anger produced by the stuff announced so far. We've seen about five minutes of a game that looked a hell of a lot like a new Dead Space.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Safe to say I'm already pissed off...Co-Op will get rid of the feeling that being in isolation gave and more action will just turn it into room after room of gun fights. Resident Evil 5 springing to mind here?!OhJayDubya
Co-op is not forced. In single player, there won't be any AI partner.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="OhJayDubya"]Safe to say I'm already pissed off...Co-Op will get rid of the feeling that being in isolation gave and more action will just turn it into room after room of gun fights. Resident Evil 5 springing to mind here?!m_machine024

Yeah I was mad at co-op too, but then I heard how they went about it.

My biggest issue with RE5 was Sheva just being a terrible AI partner, so it was really only amazing in co-op. Dead Space 3 on the other hand, removes Carver so he's an NPC character that doesn't follow Isaac around, and they also retooled every cutscene to work with both scenarios. Kind of reminds me of how Halo 3 handled that (with Arbiter sometimes showing up in a specific part if he wasn't used in co-op).

So I'm more excited, especially since Visceral keeps claiming they just wanted to show the most action in the E3 demo.

That said, I'm still very wary. I mean, cover based shooting? Semi dual wielding type ability? Bullets flying everywhere in that demo without regards to conservation? I'll have to play the game first.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

it's EA, if they don't turn the franchise into casualized mp garbage, they are doing it wrong

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

[QUOTE="OhJayDubya"]Safe to say I'm already pissed off...Co-Op will get rid of the feeling that being in isolation gave and more action will just turn it into room after room of gun fights. Resident Evil 5 springing to mind here?!m_machine024

Thank god for that, had images of me loading a full clip into the partners back because they wouldn't move.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

And another franchise dudebro-ified

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

The thing is they say "We won't bring it away from horror" etc. but they have forgotten what Horror is by now so their idea of keeping horror in the game to us comes off as crappy action segments with big monsters and explosions.

Also here is a GTTV episode on DS 3 for anyone who missed it

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/159?ch=1

I do not want to play Dead Space anymore now and I think DS2 will be the best in the series for me

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

one time I went to my basement and play Dead Space 2 on my laptop in pitch black darkness. Amazing.

#certaingamesdon'tneedco-op

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

that is sarcasm/

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
they already brought Doomsday for themself with Mass Effect 3 :P
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
:(. It's such a great franchise at heart. Should make less linear levels. Focus some more on Isaacs engineer skills by adding more advanced zero-gravity puzzles. Also more suspense and slower pacing/less action. But no :(.
RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

I want to use my co-op partner as a meatshield, either as a player or AI

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="m_machine024"]

[QUOTE="OhJayDubya"]Safe to say I'm already pissed off...Co-Op will get rid of the feeling that being in isolation gave and more action will just turn it into room after room of gun fights. Resident Evil 5 springing to mind here?!SPYDER0416

Yeah I was mad at co-op too, but then I heard how they went about it.

My biggest issue with RE5 was Sheva just being a terrible AI partner, so it was really only amazing in co-op. Dead Space 3 on the other hand, removes Carver so he's an NPC character that doesn't follow Isaac around, and they also retooled every cutscene to work with both scenarios. Kind of reminds me of how Halo 3 handled that (with Arbiter sometimes showing up in a specific part if he wasn't used in co-op).

So I'm more excited, especially since Visceral keeps claiming they just wanted to show the most action in the E3 demo.

That said, I'm still very wary. I mean, cover based shooting? Semi dual wielding type ability? Bullets flying everywhere in that demo without regards to conservation? I'll have to play the game first.

Ehh... well the cover based part didn't even last a minute in the demo. It didn't look like a big focus in gameplay. Plus I don't think taking cover will be useful against monsters anyway. :P We'll see.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

How could you not piss off a bunch of people that b1tch whine and moan just for the sake of it? Just make the game you want to make and deal with the fallout later. It doesn't matter how you approach it, people are going to find something to complain about from the first screenshot shown.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SPYDER0416

You know what game could probably use co-op well and NOT turn into an action title? Amnesia.

I mean, the other games empower you in SOME way, but Amnesia does not at all. If you combined that with no voice chat (like in Demon's/Dark Souls), random and unannounced join ins (like in Journey), and some sort of mechanic to make trust and betrayal an iffy issue depending on who you play with (as in F3AR), and maybe throw in some ways to mess with the player (like having said friendly player look like a monster with low sanity), then you could craft the first truly terrifying survival horror co-op title.

Sorry for the off topic tangent, just an idea I had.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

They are broadening the appeal by making it look like Gears of War? I guess.

TBH, I don't see this game selling too well.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

SuperFlakeman
Like SMG and NSMB? Yeah, thought so.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

EA already loves to piss off their consumers with on disc DLC and online passes.

the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts

EA already loves to piss off their consumers with on disc DLC and online passes.

HaloPimp978
yeah you say that to Mass Effect 3 and the prothean :P
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
I already lost interest with the last game.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

SuperFlakeman
Blame the xbox360 and its cancer spreading bro-gamer sandwiches it serves up.... damn microsoft always meddling and destroying everything!!!
Coyful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Coyful
Member since 2011 • 373 Posts

Dead Space's Appeal

-You're a lone under-armed Engineer,

-Surrounded by sneaking horrors in close quarters

-Trapped on a derelict ship in space, managing your oxygen and dealing with zero gravity

- improvising combat based on strategic dismemberment

Dead Space 3's ''Broadened'' Appeal

-You've got a smack talking sidekick and friggin co-op,

-You're going to fight space marines,

-You're gonna be on a snowy planet, because **** the ''Space'' in Dead Space,

-You'll be firing space guns with a cover system

I really hope the final product isn't this awful, but the ''Promos'' we've seen so far look more like smear campaigns...

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

The thing is they say "We won't bring it away from horror" etc. but they have forgotten what Horror is by now so their idea of keeping horror in the game to us comes off as crappy action segments with big monsters and explosions.

I do not want to play Dead Space anymore now and I think DS2 will be the best in the series for me

seanmcloughlin

The first from what I've heard was the best, I only played the first so I can't judge but I loved it. It's only 9ish hours long too, so why not play it?

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

:(. It's such a great franchise at heart. Should make less linear levels. Focus some more on Isaacs engineer skills by adding more advanced zero-gravity puzzles. Also more suspense and slower pacing/less action. But no :(.Sushiglutton

Metroidvania Dead Space game. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Coyful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Coyful
Member since 2011 • 373 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]:(. It's such a great franchise at heart. Should make less linear levels. Focus some more on Isaacs engineer skills by adding more advanced zero-gravity puzzles. Also more suspense and slower pacing/less action. But no :(.DarkGamer007

That's perfect, Dead Space cries out for Metroidvania styled exploration, I mean you're on a space ship and space station in the games, great for that kinda stuff; you could map out the whole self contained, claustrophobic Ship/Station and fill it with puzzles and secrets and audio/vid logs... WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT!?
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]:(. It's such a great franchise at heart. Should make less linear levels. Focus some more on Isaacs engineer skills by adding more advanced zero-gravity puzzles. Also more suspense and slower pacing/less action. But no :(.Coyful

That's perfect, Dead Space cries out for Metroidvania styled exploration, I mean you're on a space ship and space station in the games, great for that kinda stuff; you could map out the whole self contained, claustrophobic Ship/Station and fill it with puzzles and secrets and audio/vid logs... WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THAT!?

Thinking about how well Batman: Arkham Asylum did that, it makes me wonder as well why they never tried doing that sort of Metroidvania style in a game that is ripe for such a thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Jamiemydearx3

The first from what I've heard was the best, I only played the first so I can't judge but I loved it. It's only 9ish hours long too, so why not play it?

I have played the first and beat it about 8 times. fantastic game but I think DS2 improved on it in every way gameplay wise and DS1 was never sh!t your pants scary, DS2 retained some semblence of horror (Moving wheelchairs, dark rooms that suddenly all the lights come on) and it had action too so it blended the two very well. But DS3 looks to be even more action heavy and that's not what I want

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Well too late, because they did! The new one is just a 3rd person shooter, it's nothing like the old ones. There is no tension, no walking down dark hallways slowly and scared, it's just an action game now. You don't even have to aim strategic anymore to defeat enemies, the other ones you have cut off their heads, their feet ect...with this you just shoot them.

It's going to be a fail, fvck you EA for ruining a great series.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Well too late, because they did! The new one is just a 3rd person shooter, it's nothing like the old ones. There is no tension, no walking down dark hallways slowly and scared, it's just an action game now. You don't even have to aim strategic anymore to defeat enemies, the other ones you have cut off their heads, their feet ect...with this you just shoot them.

ShadowMoses900
Ohh so you know absolutely EVERYTHING about the game right now? Glad to see they show one demo and all hope is out the damn window.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-59b71619573a1

ShadowMoses900

You do actually. Watch the GTTV episode I posted up above there is an extended demo of the game and he dismembers guys just like the older games. He also walks through a lot of very dark caves

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

seanmcloughlin

You do actually. Watch the GTTV episode I posted up above there is an extended demo of the game and he dismembers guys just like the older games

He does. I though the GTTV demo was great.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Dead Space 3 is as much Dead Space as Splinter Cell Blacklist is Splinter Cell (ok maybe not that bad but still.......)

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

So long as it doesn't turn into RE5:?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Animal-Mother

You do actually. Watch the GTTV episode I posted up above there is an extended demo of the game and he dismembers guys just like the older games

It eased a lot of worries I had but I would like to see a little more. Not sure if I like the openess of it and the fact that there are a lot more people around seemingly and you fight normal men with guns from cover. But I am more enthused about it now

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

It eased a lot of worries I had but I would like to see a little more. Not sure if I like the openess of it and the fact that there are a lot more people around seemingly and you fight normal men with guns from cover. But I am more enthused about it now

It quelled the beast within a bit. I have to say. THe drop in drop out co-op is what's gonna nail it. It's ALMOST like having two different games. But I mean what's the problem with fighting unitologist a few times? Technically they're issacs enemy.
Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

''In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.''

''Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them.''

Huh?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animal-Mother

''In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise, because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.''

''Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them.''

Huh?

Wild_man_22
I think they're talking about making more money and that they need MOAR.
Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

Huh?

Animal-Mother

so 5 million is now the benchmark for flop on any game? sigh

MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The dumbasses at EA dont realize that, most likely, people arent going to play Dead Space 3 if they haven't played the first two games. It will not increase sales.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Wild_man_22"]

Huh?

Wild_man_22

so 5 million is now the benchmark for flop on any game? sigh

No No, That's not what i'm saying. It's stupid to think that. I basically think ( remember I can't read their minds so I can't be a 100% sure) Is that they basically want to increase the audience so that they can just make more of a return income on the product. Basically is they're greedy.
Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#45 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

What is this BS about needing to expand the audience to 5 million just to maintain the franchise? Dead Space 1 only sold 2 million copies, and I'm pretty sure EA did just fine in profits from that. They did well enough to make a more expensive sequel at least... They're just greedy.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#46 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

It's definitely not getting away from gore or horror,Article

I think it's telling that he conflates the two.

Anyway, if I was in charge of making Dead Space a huge commercial success, the last thing I would do is try to make it into some me-too, run-of-the-mill TPS. There's no room for that in this market anymore, so it's not going to do any better than the previous games did. Probably worse.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts

Does a company ever really want to upset their fan bases? No, of course not. However, EA is developing a knack for doing just that.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Oh look, another game designed to appease the duMasses

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

[QUOTE="Coyful"][QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

SPYDER0416

Thinking about how well Batman: Arkham Asylum did that, it makes me wonder as well why they never tried doing that sort of Metroidvania style in a game that is ripe for such a thing.

It's cool in survivor games if u get to make decission like "should I explore this area to see if I can find some ammo, or just move on". Also when you're focused on solving a puzzle and a monster jumps at u, it's the kind of stuff people get heart attacks from :lol:. But no. EA decided it was tiome to add a cover mechanic, machine guns and co-op.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

Oh joy... I just love that kind of talk. You always know where it heads to with games when a company like EA is behind them. I don't personally mind the co-op though. The main way EA could piss me off would be to make it online ONLY co-op. I want to play it locally with someone right next to me if I'm gonna play any co-op in DS.