DVD9 will not cut it in 2008

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

If DVD9 doesn't cut it, they can always make DVD18 games.

Dual sided dual layered DVDs hold 15GB of data.

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

If DVD9 doesn't cut it, they can always make DVD18 games.

Dual sided dual layered DVDs hold 15GB of data.

c_smithii

lol

Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#53 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts

I expected a well thought out post outlining information about the amount of space games have been taking up in relation to the inability of compression technology to keep up with the growth of sheer data that needs to be used to program a game.

Instead I get a one liner, so I leave you with this. DVD9 will cut it as long as you can compress data. Microsoft are not a bunch of teenagers, they know how much space games take up, and they know that a DVD9 can hold any game that any developer wants to make in the near future.

All this PR nonsense coming from Sony saying that games cannot be done on the 360 is completely false. The PS3 and 360 have very close specs when it comes to what they can render graphically and the physics they can handle, the only reason MGS4, or Uncharted, or Final Fantasy XIII can't be done on the 360 is because they haven't been compressed yet, and since they're on a blu-ray disk don't need to be.

Please go away.

-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

2, 3,4 disk solves the problem

Shut her down.

real45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 real45
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts
Sony is a pro hardware company MS is a software company. They take diffrent roads to a solution.no?
Suyomizzle_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#56 Suyomizzle_
Member since 2005 • 1317 Posts

Sony is a pro hardware company MS is a software company. They take diffrent roads to a solution.no?real45

There is no problem. When did you ever hear developers complaining about the space of a DVD9? When were there games that were severely handicapped due to lack of space? When did features have to be removed or graphics downgraded in the interest of saving space?

NEVER! Until blu-ray came out and Sony started putting developers on their payrole to say that blu-ray was a logical step forward. But the fact is, it isn't, and DVD9 as a format for video games has a lot of life left in it.

Blu-ray, as a format for video games, is a joke and a lie. Blu-ray was launched as a high definition video format, as we all forget, and since high definition video takes up a lot more space than a video that's not in high definition it makes sense for a new format to be launched to accommodate that new requirement.

The same can't be said for video games, and the only reason Sony uses blu-ray as it's chosen format for games is to push it as a movie format.

real45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 real45

[QUOTE="real45"]Sony is a pro hardware company MS is a software company. They take diffrent roads to a solution.no?Suyomizzle_

There is no problem. When did you ever hear developers complaining about the space of a DVD9? When were there games that were severely handicapped due to lack of space? When did features have to be removed or graphics downgraded in the interest of saving space?

NEVER! Until blu-ray came out and Sony started putting developers on their payrole to say that blu-ray was a logical step forward. But the fact is, it isn't, and DVD9 as a format for video games has a lot of life left in it.

Blu-ray, as a format for video games, is a joke and a lie. Blu-ray was launched as a high definition video format, as we all forget, and since high definition video takes up a lot more space than a video that's not in high definition it makes sense for a new format to be launched to accommodate that new requirement.

The same can't be said for video games, and the only reason Sony uses blu-ray as it's chosen format for games is to push it as a movie format.

I believe it.
V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts

Lemme see, yutz:

Mass Effect = Over 35 hours of gameplay including all quests
Uncharted = Less than 10 hours of gameplay including all levels

Whas that? Mazel tov. /thread

True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

for me, mass effect was the test. if bioware could get a big game, with loads of speech, onto one disc then blu-ray would be a waste of space for games. bioware did it, ME is a very respectably sized game from what i hear, and it looks fantastic. the performance issues its having are irrelevent as that has nothing to do with disc capacity (because thats what were talking about here, blu-ray only holds data. it doesnt improve performance or do any other magic, its a storage medium).

so everything has changed now. any dev who says they cant get there game to fit on a dvd is incompetent, its that simple. if bioware can fit a bloody big game onto a single disc then theres no reason why anyone else cant. the only advantage blu-ray now offers is the ability to put loads of languages on the one disc and have tons of FMV. whoodie frickin do.

look, oblivion is massive and it looks great. its probably going to be the biggest game this gen in terms of content. it fits on half a DVD. if bethesda wanted, they could put oblivion and shivering isles and all the other expansions onto one DVD, and still have enough for a direct port of morrowind also. anyone worried that UT3 wont fit on a single DVD? dont be, the PC version is just under 8GB, itll fit with space to spare.

osan0

Gaad, people like you are going to be eating their words when MGS4 rolls out.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

crap, i forgot all DVD media expires on midnight, dec 31st, 07.

better buy me some blurayz.

im_different

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 im_different
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
you know there was a little something invented back in the ps1 days in fact way before that called MULTIPLE DISKS. its not insanely hard to do you know?
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
explain why stalker is 5.5gb, bioshock 5.5gb and crysis, which has the largest levels of any fps to date, some of the best ai, physics and sound is under 7gb? blu ray is cows reason for getting ps3 so they have to justify it
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 imprezawrx500

it has nothing do with larger games per se, more levels... but rather advanced graphics, textures, sound will have the benefit from extra disk space + hey, if I am going to pay $60 bucks for a game, I would want more playing time...I hope I did not give an impression of being an xbox 360 hater since I do own one as well. It was great when it came out but it has seen its last run, not due to the hardware, but the limitation ofdvd9.

jofu74

what ps3 comes close to crysis technicly? as it has the best of everything to date and is under 7gb while some ps3 games can't even match farcry and are way bigger

Fumpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Fumpa
Member since 2003 • 3307 Posts

larger, better games, AI, graphics, sound need more space! BLU-RAY ALL THE WAY.

2008 - the disappearance of the xbox 360

jofu74

You are wrong.

I rest my case.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 imprezawrx500

Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.Redgarl

exactly, but as usally they go overboard with what the box states 12gb :lol: ps3 doesn't have enough cpu/gpu power let along ram to use blu ray to its max

OremLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 OremLK
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

He claims better AI will need more space.

Everyone point and laugh.

TheWiikestLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 TheWiikestLink
Member since 2006 • 1730 Posts
[QUOTE="jofu74"]

Fumpa

You are wrong.

I rest my case.

L.A. Noire

I rest my case.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Um no? o.O
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts
jofu74, im sorry that your parents will only buy you one console system and you chose the wrong one :(
conman12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 conman12345
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts

You are a freaking idiot sir.

Look at Mass effect and Crysis both fit onto a DVD9 nicely with a few gigs left over. have u even seen how huge those games are? Forget all the Blu Ray crap.

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts
Ok guys everyone saying that big games can still fit on DVD9's are correct, it will stay like this for at least another year I hope. There is one huge problem with multiple disk games, some genres its impossible to do it Trying doing a Sandbox game with multiple disks... yea... not really gonna work well.
user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
Somehow.. I think if sony didn't make blu ray and needed something to push it.. it wouldn't be in the PS3. Cause I highly doubt it was in there for game purposes.
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I was gonna get a wii when they're in stock, but now i know that dvd is dead i wont bother. I better get rid of my 360, and my pc as well, as they will be dead under the 1337 blu-ray software thats gonna magically appear and crush all non sony systems in 2008 :roll:
loky4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 loky4000
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
Blueray is overrated and I doubt it will hit the mainstream for atleast a couple of years, if ever.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

jofu74
i honestly can't believe people can think this is true.
c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts
[QUOTE="jofu74"]

zero9167

i honestly can't believe people can think this is true.

Only blind fanboys think that. As I said earlier there's always the possibility to produce games on DVD18 or multiple DVD9 discs if needed.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
crysis disagrees.
crispytheone88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 crispytheone88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
This topic is a total dead horse, it has been covered, and Blu-ray is not really needed for gaming, but to say it doesn't have some advantges is not true either, the question is, does Blu-ray's cost give the PS3 that much of an advantage over the 360, and I have to say, no, as a gaming machine, it has been proven over and over, the PS3 is not really any more powerful than the 360, and the games they are producing are not any bigger or spectacular than the 360, Blu-Ray for gaming is a failure
DrinkDuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DrinkDuff
Member since 2004 • 6762 Posts
Mass Effect, the largest RPG so far this gen, fits on one DVD. (I wouldn't say Oblivion is the largest because of the repeating dungeons and other cookie-cutter pieces that fills up the game.) There won't be problems with the format anytime soon.
shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
ok mr.developer :roll:
Baurus_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Baurus_1
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

We've been hearing this "larger better games" crap for over a year now, let me know when it happens.DaysAirlines

Uncharted

Zenfoldor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zenfoldor
Member since 2003 • 1775 Posts

Ok guys everyone saying that big games can still fit on DVD9's are correct, it will stay like this for at least another year I hope. There is one huge problem with multiple disk games, some genres its impossible to do it Trying doing a Sandbox game with multiple disks... yea... not really gonna work well.mastarifla

Actually, didn't you change cities in a lot of GTA games? Have a new disc for one of them? Don't have load screen fetch quests between said discs. Possible?

mastarifla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mastarifla
Member since 2005 • 2448 Posts

Actually, didn't you change cities in a lot of GTA games? Have a new disc for one of them? Don't have load screen fetch quests between said discs. Possible?

Zenfoldor
Do you know horrendous that would be after awhile? Plus what if it was like in GTA4 (one big city I think) how you you divide that up between disks effectively? It would be a nightmare to code cross disk missions as well...
Kizzle28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#86 Kizzle28
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts

I just love how people say, 'Blu-Ray will give us bigger games', yet the games that have come out on Sony's system are 6-10 hours long (Resistance, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword). And yes, I know it is very forward thinking, but really, if most big name games, like Mass Effect or Crysis, have $30-40 million dollar budgets and they are fitting games onto a DVD9, then what use does Blu-Ray have for games?

Noone in the gaming industry will go for a 60 million dollar game right now. For us to truly take advantage of the Blu-Ray's space capabilities, you could technically have a 100 hour game with Mass Effect graphics. Trouble is, it would cost FAR too much.

So more than likely, we will see the same size games on the PS3 (except for maybe MGS 4 using 7.1 uncompressed surround sound) as we will on the 360. Resistance was proved to have quite a bit of padding which increased load times to acceptable standards because of the slow 2x Blu-Ray drive and increased disc space to make sure it was over 9 GB.

Too early and too expensive to be taken seriously in the gaming world.

real45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 real45

Just remembered this vid I had saved.

Word for word what a Lion Head dev.

"One of the things that's a real struggle for game developers is is fitting all those assets into memory and unto the dvd's

What we've done, is develop some compression routines, that squashes down the data, so that it will fit in the available memory.

And Weve done this with animations, which take up huuuuuuuuuge amounts of memory uncompressed.
Weve done it with textures, which were the sort of beautiful pictures that go on the meshes, that we would create.

In an animation- which is basicaly the movement of the character around the world, weve managed to squeeze those down to just 1% of their original size"

from 2:40 to 3:15

http://youtube.com/watch?v=--iucjXRjZM&feature=related

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
[QUOTE="osan0"]

for me, mass effect was the test. if bioware could get a big game, with loads of speech, onto one disc then blu-ray would be a waste of space for games. bioware did it, ME is a very respectably sized game from what i hear, and it looks fantastic. the performance issues its having are irrelevent as that has nothing to do with disc capacity (because thats what were talking about here, blu-ray only holds data. it doesnt improve performance or do any other magic, its a storage medium).

so everything has changed now. any dev who says they cant get there game to fit on a dvd is incompetent, its that simple. if bioware can fit a bloody big game onto a single disc then theres no reason why anyone else cant. the only advantage blu-ray now offers is the ability to put loads of languages on the one disc and have tons of FMV. whoodie frickin do.

look, oblivion is massive and it looks great. its probably going to be the biggest game this gen in terms of content. it fits on half a DVD. if bethesda wanted, they could put oblivion and shivering isles and all the other expansions onto one DVD, and still have enough for a direct port of morrowind also. anyone worried that UT3 wont fit on a single DVD? dont be, the PC version is just under 8GB, itll fit with space to spare.

True-Legend86

Gaad, people like you are going to be eating their words when MGS4 rolls out.

why?

because it has loads of uncompressed audio? Sound takes more space than textures and geometry ;)

cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

jofu74

Wii doesn't need bluray and neither does the 360.

Space doesn't= better and it is clear consumers understand that more so than some around here.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Mass Effect, the largest RPG so far this gen, fits on one DVD. (I wouldn't say Oblivion is the largest because of the repeating dungeons and other cookie-cutter pieces that fills up the game.) There won't be problems with the format anytime soon.DrinkDuff

yeah barely, it has about half a gig left in space on 360 dvd.

Avatar image for FunkyHeadHunter
FunkyHeadHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 FunkyHeadHunter
Member since 2007 • 1758 Posts
DVD9 is fine for the rest of this gen. Some people are over reacting. Next gen however will demand HD,and BLuray.
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

Mass Effect was able to fit on single DVD....nuff said

mabris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 mabris
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts
[QUOTE="AIH_PSP"][QUOTE="Redgarl"]Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.laughingman42

That's different. PC games are installed so they can be compressed a lot. 360 streams the data and loads straight from the disc, therefore to cut loading times and slow downs you need to have less compression. When you have less compression, the file size is bigger. When the file size is past 8.5GB, then the DVD cannot be used.

I think that you are thinking of what the PS3 has to do because of its slow optical drive.

I don't get the whole "slow drive" myth. The 360 has a 12x DVD drive, with a maximum data transfer rate of 15.9 MB/s. The PS3 has a 2x Blu Ray drive, with a maximum data transfer rate of 13.5 MB/s. That's really not that different.

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

does anyone have the heart to tell the tc that sony didn't include bluray for games?

kentaro22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 kentaro22
Member since 2005 • 2694 Posts
I think that in the end of 2008 multiple disk Xbox 360 games will triple. Still, I don't see real problems with the format at least untll 2010. And no people, you can't have my crystal ball.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Always-Honest
crysis
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

crysisAlways-Honest

is 12GB says wiki.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Always-Honest

[QUOTE="Always-Honest"]crysiskillzowned24

is 12GB says wiki.

so all people played it on a blu ray disc?

kentaro22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 kentaro22
Member since 2005 • 2694 Posts

[QUOTE="Always-Honest"]crysiskillzowned24

is 12GB says wiki.

Yes, people. Don't take Crysis into account here. While it comes in a DVD it has to be expanded to around 12 GB (without mods). ME on the other hand is a good example. Still a bit short for an RPG.
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
The only reason some PS3 games need Blu-ray is because some games have Uncompressed Audio. Heavenly Sword is 12GB of Audio alone, but most people don't have the equipment necessary to play uncompressed audio.