DVD9 will not cut it in 2008

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jofu74
Member since 2004 • 68 Posts

larger, better games, AI, graphics, sound need more space! BLU-RAY ALL THE WAY.

2008 - the disappearance of the xbox 360

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
Damn, what major 360 game have you been working on? Because you boviously have inside insight and info.
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
We've been hearing this "larger better games" crap for over a year now, let me know when it happens.
manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

jofu74

better games thats exactly why ps3 has no aaae's

jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jofu74

This has nothing to do with hd-dvd and blu-ray movies. I own a hd-dvd player...space is the issue, nothing more as far as console gaming. A good friend of mine who works for a major game developer told me that the cell technolgy is becoming much more easier to develop for and has even suprised him at what it can do. but he told me that the space limitations of dvd9 is what will bring down thje xbox 360. It will cost too much money to figure compression, extra discs...etc.

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts
mutli dvd9s
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
We've been hearing this "larger better games" crap for over a year now, let me know when it happens.DaysAirlines
Well, after a year that brought us Lair and Heavenly Sword, "better" and "longer" shouldn't be too hard to achieve.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

So DVD can't handle games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted that are 7-10 hours (respectively)?

Sure, if that makes you feel better :lol: :lol:

jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jofu74

it has nothing do with larger games per se, more levels... but rather advanced graphics, textures, sound will have the benefit from extra disk space + hey, if I am going to pay $60 bucks for a game, I would want more playing time...I hope I did not give an impression of being an xbox 360 hater since I do own one as well. It was great when it came out but it has seen its last run, not due to the hardware, but the limitation ofdvd9.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
[QUOTE="DaysAirlines"]We've been hearing this "larger better games" crap for over a year now, let me know when it happens.Hoffgod
Well, after a year that brought us Lair and Heavenly Sword, "better" and "longer" shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

I think that those games would fit on a floppy disk.
jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jofu74
multi dvd will cost the developer and the consumer - and certain games would be ridiculous to constantly change such as GTA...
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

some of the very best games came on 2 or 3 disks. were FFVII or shenmue or Res 4 any less enjoyable becouse you had too change a disk one or twice. itNEVERbothered me

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

jofu74

Thank goodness for compressed data and Console Hard Drives!

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

jofu74

hasn't appeared that way since it was announced and this has been said for along time...lolu are a dunce lol, nub cakes.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
AI, better games, graphics and sound have nothing to do with disc size.
Crusher89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crusher89
Member since 2007 • 480 Posts

thats y there will be a option that says "please insert disk2"

def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

some of the very best games came on 2 or 3 disks. were FFVII or shenmue or Res 4 any less enjoyable becouse you had too change a disk one or twice. itNEVERbothered me

doobie1975

thats because u have no choice back then. PS1 games format is the only cd (gaming) format existed at that time. dvd came later.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

360 is already almost maxed

Mass Effect=6.4GB

360 DVD Size= around 7GB

Assassins Creed sucks because of 360, its inferior dvd made the devs gimp the audio so you hear the same crowdstuff over and over:(

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19591 Posts

AI, better games, graphics and sound have nothing to do with disc size.Pro_wrestler

Well, sound does rely on disc size, as do better textures, but more disc space doesn't equal better or longer games.

As it is, I can't think of many games that use more than one DVD. Until we reach the point where many games are using 4 DVDs, then I don't see the point in getting larger discs.

Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts
Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.
bezaire2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bezaire2005
Member since 2005 • 3635 Posts

This has nothing to do with hd-dvd and blu-ray movies. I own a hd-dvd player...space is the issue, nothing more as far as console gaming. A good friend of mine who works for a major game developer told me that the cell technolgy is becoming much more easier to develop for and has even suprised him at what it can do. but he told me that the space limitations of dvd9 is what will bring down thje xbox 360. It will cost too much money to figure compression, extra discs...etc.

jofu74

lol the classic "a good friend of mine" line....what would system wars BS be without it?

Avatar image for Manly-manly-man
Manly-manly-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Manly-manly-man
Member since 2006 • 3477 Posts
Actually, killzowned, a dual layer DVD is 8.5GB. Crysis, CoD4, Mass Effect, none of those used more then 7GB.
saolin323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 saolin323
Member since 2007 • 3121 Posts

jofu74

Size of diks does not make games or Ai. ...... better !!!! hahahaha, taste and devleoper skill do that

Also some of the biggest games are coming on a single DVD, Assassins, Mass Effect, Fable 2, Oblivion, Alan Wake, Project Offset, Warhound,most xbox 360 only, and on DVD, no game on PS3 come MILES close to the scale of those games, only AC and ES, but AC runs like poo on PS3, and ES is last gen now

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

for me, mass effect was the test. if bioware could get a big game, with loads of speech, onto one disc then blu-ray would be a waste of space for games. bioware did it, ME is a very respectably sized game from what i hear, and it looks fantastic. the performance issues its having are irrelevent as that has nothing to do with disc capacity (because thats what were talking about here, blu-ray only holds data. it doesnt improve performance or do any other magic, its a storage medium).

so everything has changed now. any dev who says they cant get there game to fit on a dvd is incompetent, its that simple. if bioware can fit a bloody big game onto a single disc then theres no reason why anyone else cant. the only advantage blu-ray now offers is the ability to put loads of languages on the one disc and have tons of FMV. whoodie frickin do.

look, oblivion is massive and it looks great. its probably going to be the biggest game this gen in terms of content. it fits on half a DVD. if bethesda wanted, they could put oblivion and shivering isles and all the other expansions onto one DVD, and still have enough for a direct port of morrowind also. anyone worried that UT3 wont fit on a single DVD? dont be, the PC version is just under 8GB, itll fit with space to spare.

rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
kk stupid cow..
jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jofu74
crysis uses 12 gig, compressed buthe problem is that MS will not allow for developers to make games that require mandatory HD space. a bad move for MS. This is what delayed GTA 4. Core users=cheap. MS=stupid
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killzowned24

Actually, killzowned, a dual layer DVD is 8.5GB. Crysis, CoD4, Mass Effect, none of those used more then 7GB. Manly-manly-man

your right but 360 dvd can only use around 7 gigs because of security.

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts

mutli dvd9sdef_mode

bingo.

Crusher89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Crusher89
can someone plz tell me wuts the big deal about using mult discs.
Nonam3gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Nonam3gamer
Member since 2005 • 880 Posts

Ok, this is just getting ridiculous. One of the 4 systems uses Dvds. The rest use Dvd9 so because of that the Xbox360 is failing??? The concept is just ridiculously stupid. Mass Effect didn't even use 70% of a DVD9 and could of easily compressed it even further had they had a need for it.

Also, Sony implemented Blu-Ray as a gimmick and nothing more. Ever wondered why you need to install games to your Ps3 before you play them yet still get slower loading times than X360 counterparts? Yep, that's because of how limited the speed is of the Sony BR drive. A game can consist of 10 Dvds (over 2x BR) and it STILL wouldn't cost as much time as installing that game to your hard drive.

Accept it, the way Sony implemented BR makes it worse for gaming than DVD, not better.

I know that for you, being a cow, that getting up and walking across the room for 10 seconds would be tramatic experiance for you and you'd much rather just have longer load times that take much more time over the course of a game as you wouldn't have to do anything.

jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jofu74

Bingo was his name-O...,multi dvd will be a nightmare for developers and the consumer because it will cost....guess what....guess...thinking....MONEY!

+ how annoying it would be to constantly change discs in a game like Grand theft auto...SPACE!

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.Redgarl

PC games are different

jofu74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jofu74
PC games are guarenteed aHard drive, so compression can reach 12gigs which is what cryssis is...MS made dumb move of not using Hard Drives as mandatory... and cause of the xbox 360core users, MS will not allow developers to make games requiring a hard drive as being mandatory which would haveallow games to uncompres in the HD. This is what delayed GTA4 which I heard would need about 10gig of uncompressedd spacesince itwill not fit in a standard dvd9.
Crusher89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Crusher89

Bingo was his name-O...,multi dvd will be a nightmare for developers and the consumer because it will cost....guess what....guess...thinking....MONEY!

+ how annoying it would be to constantly change discs in a game like Grand theft auto...SPACE!

jofu74

its cheaper to make 2 dvd discs than making one blue ray. dvds r cheap to make since they have been around awhile now. on the other hand blue ray and hd dvd r expensive to make since they brand new to the market

AIH_PSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AIH_PSP
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.Redgarl

That's different. PC games are installed so they can be compressed a lot. 360 streams the data and loads straight from the disc, therefore to cut loading times and slow downs you need to have less compression. When you have less compression, the file size is bigger. When the file size is past 8.5GB, then the DVD cannot be used.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
wasn't blu ray needed for teh lair? wasn't it needed for heavenly sword which was 9 hours?
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="Redgarl"]Crysis fit on a single DVD9 with 6,2 GIG... that alone is telling everything.AIH_PSP

That's different. PC games are installed so they can be compressed a lot. 360 streams the data and loads straight from the disc, therefore to cut loading times and slow downs you need to have less compression. When you have less compression, the file size is bigger. When the file size is past 8.5GB, then the DVD cannot be used.

I think that you are thinking of what the PS3 has to do because of its slow optical drive.

PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

can someone plz tell me wuts the big deal about using mult discs.Crusher89

What about the lazy ones?

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]AI, better games, graphics and sound have nothing to do with disc size.Planeforger

Well, sound does rely on disc size, as do better textures, but more disc space doesn't equal better or longer games.

As it is, I can't think of many games that use more than one DVD. Until we reach the point where many games are using 4 DVDs, then I don't see the point in getting larger discs.

WMA files are twice as large as MP3's yet theres no noticable audio loss thanks to compression, thats what compression means. How great textures look has nothing to do with disc size, the amount of different ANYTHING is what takes up space on the disc. Oblivion, Halo 3, Mass Effect and Assassins Creed are all games that have something to do with vast amounts of something be it, worlds or content and they all take up no more than a DVD.

I think Blu-ray and HD DVD are over rated at the moment thanks to games like Lost Odessy and Mass Effect. Even though Lost Odessey ships on multiple discs, I could get more playtime out of that one disc without switching than I could from games like Lair, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm in their entierty. Oh t3h Irony.:D

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

crysis uses 12 gig, compressed buthe problem is that MS will not allow for developers to make games that require mandatory HD space. a bad move for MS. This is what delayed GTA 4. Core users=cheap. MS=stupidjofu74

Actually it was delayed because the developers (surprise, surprise) can't get it to run right on the PS3. Nice try though.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

We've been hearing this "larger better games" crap for over a year now, let me know when it happens.DaysAirlines

thats all i was hearing in 2006.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 killzowned24

wasn't blu ray needed for teh lair? wasn't it needed for heavenly sword which was 9 hours?shoeman12

Does that not just prove the point.

9hrs but still more data then dvd can handle.

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]wasn't blu ray needed for teh lair? wasn't it needed for heavenly sword which was 9 hours?killzowned24

Does that not just prove the point.

9hrs but still more data then dvd can handle.

No, it proves that developers can stuff a lot of uncompressed data onto a disc and make a wonderul looking game that lasts less than one day and somehow still charge $60 for it.

bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts
Yep, it takes HD to run those 5 hour games!
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LibertySaint

360 is already almost maxed

Mass Effect=6.4GB

360 DVD Size= around 7GB

Assassins Creed sucks because of 360, its inferior dvd made the devs gimp the audio so you hear the same crowdstuff over and over:(

killzowned24

and thats why they call it dvd9...lol yes around 7...2gb is alot of space lol.

kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts

This game fits on a DVD9; I'll give you one guess as to what the title is.

O_Lineman17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 O_Lineman17
Member since 2005 • 1128 Posts
It's not about the space on the DVD, it's the lack a standard HDD that will cause trouble
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

:lol: Sony fanboys have been saying it for a while haven't they. They always forget that teensy weensy detail about games - development time. They'd have to wait 4+ years of expensive 'next-gen cost' developing to see any true advantage of 'bigger game worlds'.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

This game fits on a DVD9; I'll give you one guess as to what the title is.

kodex1717

Mario Galaxy.....

LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LibertySaint

for me, mass effect was the test. if bioware could get a big game, with loads of speech, onto one disc then blu-ray would be a waste of space for games. bioware did it, ME is a very respectably sized game from what i hear, and it looks fantastic. the performance issues its having are irrelevent as that has nothing to do with disc capacity (because thats what were talking about here, blu-ray only holds data. it doesnt improve performance or do any other magic, its a storage medium).

so everything has changed now. any dev who says they cant get there game to fit on a dvd is incompetent, its that simple. if bioware can fit a bloody big game onto a single disc then theres no reason why anyone else cant. the only advantage blu-ray now offers is the ability to put loads of languages on the one disc and have tons of FMV. whoodie frickin do.

look, oblivion is massive and it looks great. its probably going to be the biggest game this gen in terms of content. it fits on half a DVD. if bethesda wanted, they could put oblivion and shivering isles and all the other expansions onto one DVD, and still have enough for a direct port of morrowind also. anyone worried that UT3 wont fit on a single DVD? dont be, the PC version is just under 8GB, itll fit with space to spare.

osan0

i want to hug you :D lol nice post