Drove by a few stores for the PS4 launch.. I'm surprised tbh

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I'm a bit surprised. Judging by the comments on here and other gaming forums I expected the PS4 to pretty much dominate the launch window.

I went by 3 gamestops, 2 walmarts, a sears, and a best buy, to ask about getting a ps4 tonight. As expected they were out if preorders but they all had plenty of PS4s to sell to non pre order buyers. I asked about the Xbox One pre-orders and apparently the demand is higher for the X1.

I drove by the same stores a few minutes ago and the only place with ANYONE waiting in line was best buy, with less than 10 people. I saw no one at any of the three gamestops I went to even tho they were having launch events.

Not impressed at all. I expected a lot of launch excitement and fever, but no one seemed to care..

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61483 Posts

Yay anecdotes.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well these days you can order most things off the interwebs and have it shipped to your door. it's pretty nifty

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Who cares if you're impressed? Who do you think you are? Some sort of big shot? Furthermore, SONY wanted to assure that there be enough units on shelves for people to walk into the store and buy one in person.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Maybe people are happy to wait for the package to be delivered? how many people were waiting on their front porch?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@-Red-Cell- said:

I'm a bit surprised. Judging by the comments on here and other gaming forums I expected the PS4 to pretty much dominate the launch window.

I went by 3 gamestops, 2 walmarts, a sears, and a best buy, to ask about getting a ps4 tonight. As expected they were out if preorders but they all had plenty of PS4s to sell to non pre order buyers. I asked about the Xbox One pre-orders and apparently the demand is higher for the X1.

I drove by the same stores a few minutes ago and the only place with ANYONE waiting in line was best buy, with less than 10 people. I saw no one at any of the three gamestops I went to even tho they were having launch events.

Not impressed at all. I expected a lot of launch excitement and fever, but no one seemed to care..

That is odd there are some 300 people already line on the gamestop close to my house,walmart 24 hours like 200,i asked yesterday on the gamestop close to my house and only 20 xbox one had been sold while more than 275 PS4 had been pre-order..

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@tormentos said:

@-Red-Cell- said:

That is odd there are some 300 people already line on the gamestop close to my house,walmart 24 hours like 200,i asked yesterday on the gamestop close to my house and only 20 xbox one had been sold while more than 275 PS4 had been pre-order..

He probably lives in the boonies.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

There was about 180 people outside of my local gamestop wiating in lne. About 250 outside of Best Buy and around 200 inside Walmart waiting for midnight.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@tormentos said:

@-Red-Cell- said:

Yeah well my best buy has 600,939,365 X1 pre orders and 7 PS4/10 pre orders.

AestheticGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AestheticGamer
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

Xbox One is the better console don't let these forums sway the truth.

Fanboys aren't the majority in real life, only on game forums.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Who cares if you're impressed? Who do you think you are? Some sort of big shot? Furthermore, SONY wanted to assure that there be enough units on shelves for people to walk into the store and buy one in person.

You should know better bro, an alt account is never the best way to discuss anything

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tormentos

@SinjinSmythe said:

Yeah i knew some one would got it,made up sh** only make one look stupid...lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Drove by BestBuy in Sacramento (HUGE city), this is the only Best Buy in the main shopping area and there was nobody. Same with the two GameStops around that area.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

People were trying to make this out like a big extravaganza 50 person line PS2 type thing, not even close, all hype.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

There is not a single person queueing up for the PS4 launch in my entire country.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarthaPerkinjan

Im sure the X boned 720p lines will wrap around the block

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

K

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@tormentos said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

Yeah i knew some one would got it,made up sh** only make one look stupid...lol

and got it I did.................Cheers mate!

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@tormentos said:

@-Red-Cell- said:

Yeah i knew some one would post,made up sh** only makes one look stupid...lol (EDITED in English)

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman responds.

"Just drove past the Best Buy here. About a hundred folks and they were actually tailgating. Grills and everything. PS4 has saved the gaming world."

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Nobody wants either console

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarthaPerkinjan

@TruthArisen said:

Wonder Woman responds.

"Just drove past the Best Buy here. About a hundred folks and they were actually tailgating. Grills and everything. PS4 has saved the gaming world."

Thank you Wonder Woman.

Microshaft almost ruined it with the X Boned

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@psymon100 said:

Maybe people are happy to wait for the package to be delivered? how many people were waiting on their front porch?

I will be tomorrow :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

GameStop ditched wait lists this time around for good reason, they allowed pre-orders on inventory before launch, but again no wait list so when they have inventory it's first come first serve. Unintendedly this is going to stick it to scalpers. But I think the intention is this - back when stores had wait lists on former consoles, people didn't come pick them up, then they'd count down the days of their wait list wait limit and go on to the next person who wouldn't pick it up, until someone finally did come get it - this is a waste of time and inventory and money. I've always been able to exploit this in past, even if they had wait lists, since people would never come pick them up I'd always be able to convince a sales rep to just sell me one even though I wasn't on a wait list.

Plus, there's bound to be some people regardless of reaction to bad launch press that change their mind. So there's bound to be a few pre-launch eve availability. But I imagine GameStop wanted to have some inventory set aside for walk-ins.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

There were actually 3 people in line at my local best buy today waiting for the launch tonight. Honestly, i don't understand getting there early like that assuming you pre-ordered the console. It's not like it won't still be there if you arrive at launch or the next morning.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarthaPerkinjan

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

"I went by 3 gamestops, 2 walmarts, a sears, and a best buy"

Do you have a life? Really, it sounds like you did some serious driving just so you could run back here and tell everyone what you "saw"..system wars is not that serious..

DH1278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DH1278
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts

While I understand your point, though I'm not getting a PS4 now, even if I was, there's no fucking way I'd stay up until midnight for something I can pick up in the morning/next day. Sorry, sleeping is something I hold very dear to my heart.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@jsolidus said:

Do you have a life? Really, it sounds like you did some serious driving just so you could run back here and tell everyone what you "saw"..system wars is not that serious..

seriously, lol.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@-Red-Cell- said:

Your story is almost as moving as the other guy who posted who said xbox one's were sitting on shelves at the target he went to.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

First, there is this thing called pre-ordering online or preordering at a store either of which basically allows you to not have to stand in line in hopes of getting a system. This isn't 2006! Secondly, most places like Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart and Target give out line numbers ahead of time which allows you to go home, go eat or whatever without standing outside for 5 hours! Lastly, I have a job like most people on here and would never, ever waste 2 or 3 hours of sleep in order to get something that I can pick up tomorrow after work. I mean seriously, what am I going to miss out on. "Oh no, I wont be level 15 in KZSF multiplayer by tomorrow morning". "OMG, I wont be the first one to see how BF4 looks on the PS4"! I still cant believe how many of you take time off work or school to play video games! Get your priorities straight KIDS!!!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@jsolidus said:

seriously, lol.

lawls, i was thinking same thing. I can understand A walmart and A gamestop, but 7? NOPE

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

First, there is this thing called pre-ordering online or preordering at a store either of which basically allows you to not have to stand in line in hopes of getting a system. This isn't 2006! Secondly, most places like Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart and Target give out line numbers ahead of time which allows you to go home, go eat or whatever without standing outside for 5 hours! Lastly, I have a job like most people on here and would never, ever waste 2 or 3 hours of sleep in order to get something that I can pick up tomorrow after work. I mean seriously, what am I going to miss out on. "Oh no, I wont be level 15 in KZSF multiplayer by tomorrow morning". "OMG, I wont be the first one to see how BF4 looks on the PS4"! I still cant believe how many of you take time off work or school to play video games! Get your priorities straight KIDS!!!

no u

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@jsolidus said:

seriously, lol.

Totally agree. Some of you guys on this forum are lamer than I thought.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I heard the same thing from a friend. No one was waiting in line.

Then again there are crap tons of PS4's.

My bro canceled his pre-order like an idiot back in September. Now he is going out tonight to try and pick one up.

So, I should get updated info from him.

-Red-Cell-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Red-Cell-
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I'm just disappointed bc I have good memories of the PS2/360 launch. Seems dumb but the nostalgia I get from those epic launches was something I expected this time around.

avigeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By avigeil
Member since 2005 • 715 Posts

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

When I "checked in" at my Gamestop for my preorder, I was given #42.. Apparently, there were a LOT of preorders.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Samus3D said:

People were trying to make this out like a big extravaganza 50 person line PS2 type thing, not even close, all hype.

i showed up to gamestop at 5:30 and was 29th in line. there were definitely more than 20 behind me. Factoring all the people that didn't show up then and all the way until midnight, there's definitely gonna be more than 50 people getting the system at my store. However many more sounds purely a question of stock.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tormentos

@brucebenzing said:

Yeah i knew some one would post,made up sh** only makes one look stupid...lol (EDITED in English)

Le Trolex....hahahaa

This whole thread is based on made up sh**...Sad you didn't notice it oh yeah your are a butthurt lemming.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: jeez dude relax

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Don't you have anything better to do with your time ?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Should have seen the lines at the PC store near me. All sorts of gamers buying gaming PC's.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Im getting my Xbox One delivered by Amazon UK so no having to wait in line.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

Who cares if you're impressed? Who do you think you are? Some sort of big shot?

Hahaha...what?

Also anyone who goes into a shop to ask about pre order numbers to claim ownage on an internet forum....just, re-read that last sentence, and then kill yourselves.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I'm in Florida and my Best Buy had close to 100 people. One guy was actually convinced that there was only ten thousand consoles in North America. Poor guy! :(

BruceBenzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By BruceBenzing
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

@tormentos said:

@brucebenzing said:

Le Trolex....hahahaa

This whole thread is based on made up sh**...Sad you didn't notice it oh yeah your are a butthurt lemming.

Yet it took you 9 hours to figure it out yourself.......Keep going token Cow, your stupidity is what makes this forum interesting,,,,

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Stores get a ton of items they know will sell well. I picked up GTAV on launch day without a pre-order. Pretty sure GTAV sold more its launch day than PS4 will.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

A lot of sensible people these days choose to order online instead, or preorder and pick up during the day.

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

Apparently every Wal mart in my vicinity has them in stock still.