Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24922 Posts

Source

"We could have done more, but I think we've looked at [DOOM] Eternal and said, 'How can we raise the bar in every aspect, from technology to design to world-building to the epic scope and scale to the multiplayer battle mode?'

And heres another source

Source

Doom Eternal almost makes Doom 2016 look boring.

"From the beginning our goal was making you fight in unbelievable locations, surprising you every step of the way,” says id Software’s Marty Stratton, producer of Doom Eternal. “From the very start to the final boss, players will be seeing things they’d never expect from a Doom game.” “It’s all about engagement,” says creative director Hugo Martin, a word the two developers use several times in our interview. “Not only do these moments achieve that from a visual perspective,” he adds, “but the mechanics contribute to it too.”

The Doom Slayer can now climb, grabbing hold of surfaces with a certain texture, which opens up the level design massively. He can dash in mid-air as well, crossing wide gaps and leaping up to climbable surfaces. “These new abilities are interwoven with our visual set-pieces, so it’s not just for show,” says Martin. “You have to think your way through the level design in Doom Eternal.”

As fun as the last Doom was, there was a monotony to it,” admits Marty Stratton. “In the later levels especially it felt like corridor, arena, corridor, arena

So it appears that id software are fixing the mistakes of Doom 2016 by making level design more large with less arnea and more based on exploration.

“There’s a lot of exploration and secrets, which are of course a big part of any Doom game. We want players to use their minds. There are some fun, simple, but engaging puzzles in there too. Puzzles with a small P. Combat puzzles, really. We really want the moments between the fighting to be interesting.”

This make me more super hype.

This could be Half life 2 of our generation as im not surprised id software are top tier studio who knows what they are doing.

Doom 2016 was masterpiece despite having arena lockdown. this one will be manage to make even bigger masterpiece if they did what they are promising.

It will definitely raise the bar. only 2 month left.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Sweet. The arena lockdowns needs to go.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:

Doom arena is no where near as bad as arena in serious sam and painkiller but yeah whatever it need to go.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Looking forward to doom eternal doom 2016 felt nearly perfect as a fps. Buttery smooth with great mechanics more of the same and I'll be happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Developer says it's game is awesome, more news at 11.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

Well, it's not like Id Software will say it's gonna be shit now are they?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

"From the beginning our goal was making you fight in unbelievable locations, surprising you every step of the way,” says id Software’s Marty Stratton, producer of Doom Eternal. “From the very start to the final boss, players will be seeing things they’d never expect from aDoom game.” “It’s all about engagement,” says creative director Hugo Martin, a word the two developers use several times in our interview. “Not only do these moments achieve that from a visual perspective,” he adds, “but the mechanics contribute to it too.”

The Doom Slayer can now climb, grabbing hold of surfaces with a certain texture, which opens up the level design massively. He can dash in mid-air as well, crossing wide gaps and leaping up to climbable surfaces. “These new abilities are interwoven with our visual set-pieces, so it’s not just for show,” says Martin. “You have to think your way through the level design in Doom Eternal.”

As fun as the last Doom was, there was a monotony to it,” admits Marty Stratton. “In the later levels especially it felt like corridor, arena, corridor, arena

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to hearing more!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

I am still not clear on how its raising the bar.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

It won’t live up to the hype. They won’t be able to be creative enough. I feel like the game will still focus on their arena type/section fights.

They might add some sections in between to make it seem different but it will be the same.

Maybe they add some dumb roller coaster segment. Or they have you climb some trees on mars when you find the hidden oasis. Meh.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I wasn't a big fan of Doom 2016. It was a pretty and slick game, but it could have been any other IP and been just as good. It being "Doom" I was expecting more.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

For everyone except ghost, raising the bar will make it go from a good shooter to a great shooter..

This isn’t a masterpiece and most certainly wont be anywhere near the half llife 2 of this generation.....

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

This sounds like every recent fast first person shooter released.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever
@djoffer said:

For everyone except ghost, raising the bar will make it go from a good shooter to a great shooter..

This isn’t a masterpiece and most certainly wont be anywhere near the half llife 2 of this generation.....

Well STALKER SoC did suprassed Half life 2.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

Its also called pr talk

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Sure it will...

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 djoffer

@ghosts4ever: nope.... don’t you ever get tired of being wrong over and over??

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@djoffer said:

@ghosts4ever: nope.... don’t you ever get tired of being wrong over and over??

STALKER is non linear set in zone where you can explore entire zone with unbelievable atmosphere and weather effect and its incredibly challenging gameplay make it better than Half life.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Lol...no it most certainly didn't....

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Stalker better then HL2 lol, I see your opinions are still absolute garbage lol.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 djoffer

@ghosts4ever: nope stalker I a buggy mess, with terrible weapons and a nonsense story...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83c14458072
deactivated-5e83c14458072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 deactivated-5e83c14458072
Member since 2006 • 2727 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Can you describe this "unbelievable atmosphere". What exactly do you like so much about it?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Litchie

@Arkhalipso said:

@ghosts4ever: Can you describe this "unbelievable atmosphere". What exactly do you like so much about it?

STALKER? If you just play it, you'll know what everyone means when they say its' atmosphere is incredible. Story, graphics, sounds. All of it comes together in a way that fits the game perfectly and creates the perfect mood.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:
@Arkhalipso said:

STALKER? If you just play it, you'll know what everyone means when they say its' atmosphere is incredible. Story, graphics, sounds. All of it comes together in a way that fits the game perfectly and creates the perfect mood.

And thats why it blow Half life out of water.

even after decades, STALKER still age well while Half life starting to show its age.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5e83c14458072

@Litchie: But could YOU describe what sets it apart from other games?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

Would anyone actually admit to lowering the bar?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator

@Arkhalipso said:

I'm not a huge Stalker fan guy, but I'll tell you what set's it apart from the rest.

Its about "immersion" as what Litchie was trying to tell you. Trying to live in the world that's trying to kill you every step of the way. In a lot of ways, it's more like those survival games on Steam. There is a goal, but it's mainly about surviving and exploring what sets it apart from your typical survival today's standard games.

Stalker isn't tied down at all like most games. And what I mean by that is, the game doesn't set very strict parameters on what you can and can't do; where you can and can't go. It makes some things harder than others, sure, but there are ways to get past most of them. I like the Stalker series for the atmosphere & immersion, the challenging gameplay on max difficulty and the dynamic world that carries on with or without you that can create stories. You need to play it yourself and you'll understand why it get's many praises.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e83c14458072

@davillain-: I have to admit I haven't played it, but the same description could be given to many other games (like Fallout or Skyrim). People seem to fall short when it comes to explaining why a game is better than the rest. Actually, the question was directed to ghost, who claimed the game to be far above the rest in terms of immersion (which is hard to believe) AND better than Half Life 2.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Arkhalipso: Sometimes it's hard to describe things especially like gameplay immersion doubly if a person is a not native English speaker. I know it sounds like a cop out answer but it's what it is. Sometimes you just have to experience things.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Looking forward to it. DOOM (2016) is one of my favorite shooters of the decade.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

Looking forward to it. DOOM (2016) is one of my favorite shooters of the decade.

And I couldn't agree more. Doom 2016 was so damn good and well optimized on PC, I kept replaying Doom as my only favorite fps shooter this gen has to offer. No doubt Doom: Eternal will not disappoint.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Doom arena is no where near as bad as arena in serious sam and painkiller but yeah whatever it need to go.

Serious Sam doesn't lock the player down like Painkiller, Shadow Warrior or Doom, enemies can attack from literally miles away.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

@davillain- said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

And I couldn't agree more. Doom 2016 was so damn good and well optimized on PC, I kept replaying Doom as my only favorite fps shooter this gen has to offer. No doubt Doom: Eternal will not disappoint.

Yeah it's one of the few shooters I still replay a lot, which speaks volumes because in terms of levels and stuff it's the most linear shooter. The key is in the gameplay not being repetitious.

Which is funny because there are a lot of shooters out there with open level design or open worlds that offer a fresh experience on the second and third playthrough, but the gameplay is stagnant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e83c14458072

@pc_rocks: "sometimes you just have to experience things"

Would it be reasonable to say the same about the games you people constantly hate on and haven't even played?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Serious Sam doesn't lock the player down like Painkiller, Shadow Warrior or Doom, enemies can attack from literally miles away.

serious sam is worst example of arena shooters as it may have wide open area but it has literally no depts and enemies running at you and yelling "Arrrrghhhrhhghhg".

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

serious sam is worst example of arena shooters as it may have wide open area but it has literally no depts and enemies running at you and yelling "Arrrrghhhrhhghhg".

It actually has quite abit of depth to it's enemies compared to most FPS. Dodge the bull, take out the winged enemies, take out the ISIS suicide bombers, take out that guy at a distance spamming orbs at you will you deal with crowds etc..

The problem is it's terribly paced padding the shit out of maps coupled with really weak sauce weapons. A few are great, but most are very limp.

SS3 in particular didn't even seem to understand the initial appeal of the franchise turning it into some drab COD looking game with hit-scan enemies, reloading, running, iron-sights.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

It actually has quite abit of depth to it's enemies compared to most FPS. Dodge the bull, take out the winged enemies, take out the ISIS suicide bombers, take out that guy at a distance spamming orbs at you will you deal with crowds etc..

The problem is it's terribly paced padding the shit out of maps coupled with really weak sauce weapons. A few are great, but most are very limp.

SS3 in particular didn't even seem to understand the initial appeal of the franchise turning it into some drab COD looking game with hit-scan enemies, reloading, running, iron-sights.

Serious sam has never been good series at all. they also have awful gunplay mechanics. its just not fun to play at any shape or form.

Shadow warrior 2013 game is what i consider better version of serious sam or painkiller.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

@Arkhalipso said:

@davillain-: I have to admit I haven't played it, but the same description could be given to many other games (like Fallout or Skyrim). People seem to fall short when it comes to explaining why a game is better than the rest. Actually, the question was directed to ghost, who claimed the game to be far above the rest in terms of immersion (which is hard to believe) AND better than Half Life 2.

yeah tbf i think dav has missed one of the key qualities of stalker and that's the horror element. that and it's incredibly bleak. the two things combine really nicely with the survival nature to create a pretty unique atmosphere. skyrim and fallout may be atmospheric but i've never felt tension in those games like i have with stalker. but it's a game whose whole is absolutely greater than the sum of its parts, and mods are utterly essential to get the most out of it. and it's definitely not as good as half life 2. not even close.

@ghosts4ever said:

Doom Eternal almost makes Doom 2016 look boring.

it doesn't need eternal to do that. the repetitive nature of the game does that on its own. hopefully id get the message that there's only so many times they can rinse the demonic presence detected lock down in effect thing without it losing all its impact

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Macutchi: One of the things that really elevates Stalker, much like the hotel sequence in Vampire: Bloodlines is that the horror segments are just that, segments of a larger game acting as punctuation than the entirety, making them all the more impactful compared to games where their sole intent is to consistently achieve these moments.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Macutchi: One of the things that really elevates Stalker, much like the hotel sequence in Vampire: Bloodlines is that the horror segments are just that, segments of a larger game acting as punctuation than the entirety, making them all the more impactful compared to games where their sole intent is to consistently achieve these moments.

well put

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Litchie
@Arkhalipso said:

Not really. :/ It's just really good at dragging you into its' world. English is not my first language, which also makes it harder to explain. You get a certain mood, a sense of dread, loneliness, among other feelings. I don't get these things from many games, but STALKER is one of them, and one of the best games at it.

I promise you'd get what people talking about its' atmosphere mean if you tried it out. Or read what someone else wrote who's better at explaining things than me. :P

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:

Not really. :/ It's just really good at dragging you into its' world. English is not my first language, which also makes it harder to explain.

exact same reason for me too.

infact its hard to explain everytime when someone ask me why game x is better than game y.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@Arkhalipso said:

@pc_rocks: "sometimes you just have to experience things"

Would it be reasonable to say the same about the games you people constantly hate on and haven't even played?

I said sometimes not always especially when talking about immersion or atmosphere besides the games I 'hate on' are usually the ones I played or played its prequels or have very good idea due to dev's history. I was trying to justify why Ghost couldn't answer the question because he's not even a native English speaker.

Cherry picking quote won't let your favorite games get a free pass.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Will get a 8 out of 10 for being more of the same.

This is why I don't take reviews seriously these days. Like some games truly have a if it ain't broke don't fix and Doom is one of them. If Doom was a yearly like an installment I could see it needing some exciting new feature but it is not so I say let the game prosper.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

considering id has been dropping the ball ever since Bethesda buyout.......rofl.

Doom is the only thing they got "right" and that was after a complete do-over.