Don't understand the hysteria that's STILL going on with people and Pokemon.

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

disismycomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 disismycomp
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts
Long time ago when I was a kid, my mom bought me a gameboy and the first thing I wanted was Pokemon because I was so into it. Go Pokemon Blue. At first it was fun, but even back then I thought the game was VERRRRY tedious. Stop playing it and a year went on and I got tired of everything Pokemon in general. Anyway, I haven't played a Pokemon game since then, but from my understanding ALL the Pokemon games are relatively the same ol tedious stuff. Going around catching Pokemon and leveling your Pokemon up. What I find strange is how popular it still is. The core gameplay is really boring and tedious and it's the same every year, yet people still buy one every year. It's milkage to the max. So anyway, I'd like to know what makes it so special still to this day. I'm asking because I haven't had a handheld gaming device since I was a kid and the only Pokemon game I've played is Blue...I'm looking to borrow my little cousin's DS and I'm going to give Pokemon another try. I'd like to know which one is the best one and why.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
You do know people have different tastes ..... right? I use to love Pokemon, though I have grown out of it now. Too me it was more of a kid type of thing, but that is just me.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
I don't play pokemon anymore. Too repetitive.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Pokemon is a classic, simple RPG. That's why it's popular, and will remain popular for years to come.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
the show killed it all for me
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I don't know why I keep saying this, but Pokemon has come a long way since the original.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I got Red when I was around 7 I believe, and it was beyond any game I had ever played on my Gameboy. I played for hours, battled friends, and then moved away. Found more friends, began playing it some more with them, and I must have replayed Red about 10 times. So much fun.

I played a little bit of Pearl, but stopped after a while, but with the Heartgold SoulSilver release three people I know all went out to buy a copy, so I did too, and it is surprising how complex this game is if you want to play competitively. Breeding, min-maxing your team, training certain abilities, and raising stats, etc. On top of that it's very well balanced with new Pokemon abilities, and dual-type pokemon. It's got one of the best multiplayer systems of any RPG I've ever seen.

Also, if you get a new one I'd suggest HeartGold or SoulSilver. IIRC I could beat Pokemon Red in roughly 10 hours, but I'm already 24 hours into SoulSilver and I haven't even gotten to through all the zones, the last gym, and let alone the Elite 4, and after that you go back to Kanto (the zone from Red/Blue/Yellow), and replay through all those gyms, and the Elite 4 of that zone too.

It's got the most features, and most content by far, and the Poke Walker which comes in handy.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#8 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

Gold and Silver are some of the best games I've played, ever. Add to that the fact that I like the series a lot even today and you have my reason. Different strokes for different folks, to put it simply.

Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

the show killed it all for meRatchet_Fan8

Same here. I'm sure it was a great game in its time and probably even now, but all of the merchandising madness that seemed to brainwash everybody my age about ten years ago and that infuriatingly popular, insipid anime show made me hate the franchise with a passion.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Others have said it and so have I, even though I dont like pokemon.. all you have to do is buy exclusive rights to the game and you have won the handheld war :P

IPwnNooBs666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IPwnNooBs666
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

There was a time I loved pokemon a great deal. I would watch the show, play the games, and etc. However, as I grew older I sort of lost interest in the franchise as a whole. I did pick up Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver in hopes to revitalize my interests yet again. Hope it works.

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

Nostalgia possibly. I've been playing since Blue, although I only have Blue, Pearl, and Heart Gold. They're just fun games. Like the other guy said, people have different tastes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. I don't like Halo and yet millions of people love it, just accept it.

disismycomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 disismycomp
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts
So HeartGold and Soulsilver are the best ones? Why is there two? Better yet, why is there always two games? I remember Blue and Red were basically the same except each had a few exclusive Pokemon. What are the differences now?
VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]the show killed it all for meMenalque2

Same here. I'm sure it was a great game in its time and probably even now, but all of the merchandising madness that seemed to brainwash everybody my age about ten years ago and that infuriatingly popular, insipid anime show made me hate the franchise with a passion.

Wait a second, that raises a huge question for me. Did the show come after the game or was the game a result of the show? I always thought they based the game off of the show.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

To answer an earlier question in the thread, Nintendo releases Pokemon games by multiples at a time (usually two) to sell the game twice. It's really smart. Like Nintendogs!

As far as Pokemans go, it's a kid style "My First RPG" that will always be around.

It's fun, you go and collect pokemans, level up your pokemans, and battle other pokemans. There is hundreds of pokemans to collect and level up....it's sooooo gooood.

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

I just play the main handheld games still because I enjoy them. R/S was a little disappointing but the underwater areas was a nice compromise, overall it's a very addictive 40 hour experience each gen.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#17 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

[QUOTE="Menalque2"]

[QUOTE="Ratchet_Fan8"]the show killed it all for meVALikimlav

Wait a second, that raises a huge question for me. Did the show come after the game or was the game a result of the show? I always thought they based the game off of the show.

The games came first, the episodes came shortly after the series became a WW hit.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="Menalque2"]

That's the power of marketing. Game was first, and from there manga, anime, cards, toys, and books came.
NINTENDO.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

[QUOTE="Menalque2"]

i think the games came first,but the show was terrible,i almost died when i saw the new series,the old ones were passable,we were still young and thought it was cool seeing our favourite pocket creeps fight

but the new ones...god,who didnt puke at the super-cheesy-ness?Im better of reading fanfiction than watching that crap,there is so much wrong and fail in it

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

pokemon is fun if your a grown man/woman idk if pokemon would still be your thing but for us kids its stilla classic that is popular and will stay popular its just a really cool concept

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

contrary to popular belief hating pokemon does not make you any more or less cool then not hating it. but its your opinion. and yes different people have different opinions....shocking isn't it?

lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

i played red when i was a kid, and loved just going around catching stuff and beating the elite 4. i did roughly the same thing in gold also, and it was still fun. after gold i stopped playing pokemon games...until like 4 years ago when my friend was telling me how good the competitive pokemon scene was. at first i didn't believe him...but i got hooked on shoddy battle and eventually played pearl. i am currently enjoying soul silver, although the single player is a little tedious :P

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
when pokemon becomes fully 3d action/adventure (or possibly an MMO) then i will get back into it. Until then i am so sick of pokemon.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 millerlight89
when pokemon becomes fully 3d action/adventure (or possibly an MMO) then i will get back into it. Until then i am so sick of pokemon.walkingdream
I quite following it after 5th grade, I thought Pokemon had faded out lol. I was majorly wrong.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

B/C they're both good and fun. The problem is that they haven't changed very much since I was 12 years old. With that said, I'll probably still get the new ones...

luigigreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 luigigreen
Member since 2005 • 4888 Posts
You could replace Pokemon with almost any JRPG. Combat, level, etc. I'm not saying that as a negative, I'm saying that there are people who like WRPG's just like there are people who like Pokemon and the combat system there.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 treedoor

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]when pokemon becomes fully 3d action/adventure (or possibly an MMO) then i will get back into it. Until then i am so sick of pokemon.millerlight89
I quite following it after 5th grade, I thought Pokemon had faded out lol. I was majorly wrong.

It's the 2nd most popular gaming franchise behind Mario.

I think it's up around 180-190 million games sold in the franchise, and just think about how much extra $$$ is racked up from the tv show, manga, trading card game, toys, apparel, and everything else.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

It's still one of the deepest JRPGs out there.

It may look clean and simple on the surface, but the game is actually very deep.

That is what makes Pokemon unique.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#29 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
It's awesome, what else? It's fun, whether you play competitively or not.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="walkingdream"]when pokemon becomes fully 3d action/adventure (or possibly an MMO) then i will get back into it. Until then i am so sick of pokemon.treedoor

I think it's up around 180-190 million games sold in the franchise, and just think about how much extra $$$ is racked up from the tv show, manga, trading card game, toys, apparel, and everything else.

Yea I know that now, but I just remember hearing nothing related to Pokemon for quite some time. Then I hear of all these new Pokemon and stuff they added. All I heard about was some other game kids were playing. I know what it is, just can't spell it (yougio)
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 treedoor

[QUOTE="treedoor"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"] I quite following it after 5th grade, I thought Pokemon had faded out lol. I was majorly wrong.millerlight89

Yea I know that now, but I just remember hearing nothing related to Pokemon for quite some time. Then I hear of all these new Pokemon and stuff they added. All I heard about was some other game kids were playing. I know what it is, just can't spell it (yougio)

Yugiho I believe.

Bakugan is another.

Lots of Japanese series (with proper backing and advertising) become very big in America with kids. Card games, video games, tv shows, etc. Pokemon just happens to have the backing of the largest powerhouse in the gaming world.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I play it because Pokemon was the first RPG I played and it was this one game that got me into RPGs. It's pure nostalgia every time I think about Pokemon.

And if you're going to talk about milkage, you should know that the Mario games are more milked than any other game in history.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
it's been a very long time since i actually played a pokemon game with the intention of maxing out my party. But it was an experience unlike any other. Pokemon is a social game, playing by yourself won't do much BUT play it with others and all hell will break loose.
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 treedoor

it's been a very long time since i actually played a pokemon game with the intention of maxing out my party. But it was an experience unlike any other. Pokemon is a social game, playing by yourself won't do much BUT play it with others and all hell will break loose.nintendo-4life

Yes. My experience with red and yellow was like that.

I played single player, and would just stop after beating it. Didn't really care too much about having a great party, but I had a few friends that would suggest a we play a little competitive pokemon so we'd work hours on a party to fight eachother.

It's the only reason I am playing SoulSilver now because I hear the competitive scene to Pokemon now is absolutely awesome. My own thoughts? Yes, it is awesome :p

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:P
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:Pshalashaska88
me too. haha. when the show first came out it was basically a tutorial and taught you how to play the game. not to mention it actually followed the story of the game til the end. i kinda got sad when Butterfree left. lol. Pokemon is just fun. no need to overanalyse it. im 32 years old and i cant wait for Pokemon Black/White. but i havent played a pokemon game since the originals mind you.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 millerlight89
Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:Pshalashaska88
Me too, lol.
tikki25x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tikki25x
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:Pmillerlight89
Me too, lol.

that makes 3 of us. maybe we should form a club? lol

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:Ptikki25x

Me too, lol.

that makes 3 of us. maybe we should form a club? lol

hmmm, only if it super secret and super exclusive. That would make us even cooler. :P
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 treedoor

I loved the ones that followed the Red/Blue games, but I lost interest after that.

They were really good.

SLI_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SLI_Gamer
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts

i really hated this game. No body wanted to play hiding with me when this game came out.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#42 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

I still enjoy the games, I am 21 years old, and have other friends the same age as me who play the games still so its more enjoyable for me when i know i have people to battle/trade with.
oh and about the show itself, i think i stopped watching when ash was early into the Jhoto region.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 millerlight89

[QUOTE="shalashaska88"]Um, forgive me for saying this, but um, I, um, kinda liked the show....:Ptreedoor

I loved the ones that followed the Red/Blue games, but I lost interest after that.

They were really good.

Yea those are the ones I watched.
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

I will always argue that Pokemon is for kids. 8-14 year olds. Everything about the franchise is trying to appeal to a younger demographic. I'm not saying an adult can't enjoy the games, but if you think the game is meant for mass-appeal, you're only kidding yourself.

The show, the cards, the character designs, the amount of time you need to invest just to be competitive let alone competent with your own team - it's really just a better version of owning virtual pets.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

It may look clean and simple on the surface, but the game is actually very deep.

Rikusaki

Almost every RPG is deep if you look very hard into the game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 millerlight89

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Yandere

I have to disagree, RPGs are not anywhere near as deep as they once were.
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

Yandere

Mass Effect?
After_Math

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 After_Math
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

BattleTurtles

Mass Effect?

He said almost every. Naming one RPG out of the thousands and thousands of RPG's doesn't count.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
The games are surprisingly deep (no seriously). Of course, don't come looking for an epic story in Pokemon though :P
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]The games are surprisingly deep (no seriously). Of course, don't come looking for an epic story in Pokemon though :P

I want Shigesato Itoi to write the new Pokemon games. Will never happen, though. :(