Does the Wii deserve such high sales numbers?

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

Wow Jake is back.

I think right now, nope. It is due to the games lacking the innovation DS has put. Elite Beat Agents proves DS is worth it sales.
Wii depends on how the developers treat it: easy cash-in or innovative controller?

BlazeDragon132

I think the Wii is rather similar to the DS.  Both had okay (but not great) starting lineups but that improved over time.  And people still bought the DS quite a bit even with the average starting lineup.

Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#102 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

s winning because the Wiimode was a cool concept, but seeing games like Red Steel fail very hard makes me wonder if the Wii is actually a good console, I mean: It even brings out buyable old Snes games, the Wii had great titles, but the offers they have aren't that great.

I'm more happy with the PS3 and Xbox 360 tho, they all have solid titles and just regular gameplay I'm used to, sorry Wii.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I can't choose between the choices yet because I think the Wii still has to prove itself a bit, but I would credit its success to some very clever advertising and a simpler approach to gaming which is drawing in the people who wanted to try games but were scared away by their complexity.  I wouldn't say price is paying as big a part as people believe, many Wii owners payed more than shop prices on Ebay and getting a Wii can be hard work, if anything the price only related to the HD consoles currently being far to over priced.

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts

s winning because the Wiimode was a cool concept, but seeing games like Red Steel fail very hard makes me wonder if the Wii is actually a good console, I mean: It even brings out buyable old Snes games, the Wii had great titles, but the offers they have aren't that great.

I'm more happy with the PS3 and Xbox 360 tho, they all have solid titles and just regular gameplay I'm used to, sorry Wii.

Sytzepunk

Red Steel wasn't quite as bad as it was made out to be.  It didn't meet expectations, but it certainly wasn't the garbage some people say it is.

NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 NorthlandMan
Member since 2007 • 2302 Posts
same reason the ipod is beating more feature rich MP3 players same reason the DS killed the PSP same reasons starbucks is more popular than your local coffee shop
Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts
[QUOTE="Iyethar"]

^^^^^^^

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

Will Munny, "Unforgiven"

JakeT

Alright then, to what do you attribute the success of the Wii (regarding sales)? Since essentially that's the core question of the topic.

So the topic is actually "Why does Wii have such high sales numbers?"

That I can get into.  It's a convergence of factors, but the extremely simple version of my hypothethis for that question is as follows:

The technical advancements offered by competing new consoles have limited appeal to the majority of game consumers.  They have extremely strong appeal to enthusiasts, but enthusiasts do not drive the market.  This is not to say that advances in graphics and power do not have any appeal to the mainstream - but they do not have enough appeal to push the perceived value to the higher asking prices of the HD machines.

Wii, on the other hand, has the motion controls.  Those serve to differentiate it both from its competition and from previous home consoles like the PS2.  It's certainly easier to communicate what makes the Wii "new", which is both why the MSM is all over its nuts and why people who get exposed to something like Wii Sports can generate such incredible word of mouth.

Then you combine this with the price point, and you have a console that storms out the gate while its HD competitors can't outsell "last-gen". 

hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

Nintendo doesn't deserve these high sales numbers, they earned them.  I find that topic question to be absurd.

Nintendo has gained the popularity they have because they understand the market. Nintendo understands that they dont need the best and fine tuned graphical presentations and online.  A gamer may consider these to be key but their market which is the 360 and PS3 are further tuned to be for enthusiast of a videogaming experience.

Total immersion of graphical clarity and the games functionality in an online gaming experience can only be experienced by those who have the extra time and money in playing these games.  

I really dont understand why people are so confused on the Wii's success.  Ever since Reggie began talking about the blue ocean strategy and being a market distruptor, it was obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

does it deserve its sales....well based on the strength of its games at the moment.....no. its got some good games and a couple of great games but right now the 360 has the top quality titles (mainly because its been out longer). however by the end of the year the wii is going to have some more quality titles that will make it just that bit more tempting to everyone (from brain training to MP3).

however i have to give kudos to ninty. there advertising has been infinetly better with the wii than it was with the GC. not only are the advertising it....there advertising it very well and not making a fool of themselves or making the product look stupid (based on europe adds....havent seen US ones). and there promoting left right and center. this more effective advertising is certainly helping the sales. 

and finally the wii has its killer app...its halo. it has wii sports. u may laugh but, like halo, everyone ive seen whos played wii sports for the first time has had a big smile on their face. my little sister was hell bent on getting a 360 for christmas. she played wii sports....she is now the happy owener of a wii. my dad (whos a big tech nut....lives for HD and cool tech) was sold on wii sports golf. i remember when the xbox came out... almost everyone i knew wanted to play halo and drive the vehicles (that was the biggest part..shooting stuff was nothing new but shooting and driving....snazzy). they refrained from purchase because of the price at launch but eventually the vast majoity of em got an xbox. despite only scoring a 7 on ign, they gave it wii sports sports game of the year because they kept coming back to it time and again.

so theres a couple of reasons why its sellign so well (imho). but does it diserve it.....not yet imho. 

JakeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 JakeT
Member since 2002 • 10800 Posts

Nintendo doesn't deserve these high sales numbers, they earned them. I find that topic question to be absurd.

Nintendo has gained the popularity they have because they understand the market. Nintendo understands that they dont need the best and fine tuned graphical presentations and online. A gamer may consider these to be key but their market which is the 360 and PS3 are further tuned to be for enthusiast of a videogaming experience.

Total immersion of graphical clarity and the games functionality in an online gaming experience can only be experienced by those who have the extra time and money in playing these games.

I really dont understand why people are so confused on the Wii's success. Ever since Reggie began talking about the blue ocean strategy and being a market distruptor, it was obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful.

hiho24

I understand your point. However as to why people are surprised at the success of the Wii, while Reggie may be an icon with the realm of Nintendo and it's fanbase, he's just another talking head for those who aren't N fans.

It's the same as Kutaragi waxing poetic about how people will flock to the PS3 and work more hours to buy one; or Gates talking about having the ability to topple Sony. The fact that Reggie said the Wii would be successful doesn't make it an obvious fact for all at that time, despite the veracity of that statement at this point.

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

I understand your point. However as to why people are surprised at the success of the Wii, while Reggie may be an icon with the realm of Nintendo and it's fanbase, he's just another talking head for those who aren't N fans.

It's the same as Kutaragi waxing poetic about how people will flock to the PS3 and work more hours to buy one; or Gates talking about having the ability to topple Sony. The fact that Reggie said the Wii would be successful doesn't make it an obvious fact for all at that time, despite the veracity of that statement at this point.

JakeT

At this point Reggie's track record is major incredible.  He's had great success throughout his career and Nintendo's recent success is just completely over the top.  The man is simply brilliant, provably one of the best marketers in the world.  He has communicated Nintendo's products to the North American market extremely effectively.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#111 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

its all viral. Wii at wendys, 7-11, eh... there are a lot more that I cant think of. Not only that, but its on news. The whole wrist strap thing was everywhere... but it wasn't a bad thing, but more of a "people had so much fun playing that they threw the remote! hahahaha". The wii is selling because its different, and its EVERYWHERE!

Wii Sports is the main game behind its success, along with Zelda as the must buy title, and WarioWare as the party title... the Wii, to some, has everything. But to hardcore gamers... not so as much. Trauma Center is, imo, the best 3rd party effort thus far. The gameplay is perfect! I love the game and recomend it to anyone who is bored or their Wii! Its not a dumb mini-game fest, but a hard chalenge! Its GREAT!

Wii's success is because of nintendo's games along with some 3rd party efforts (Red Steel, Rayman, Sonic, SSX, and others).  

springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
Wii is selling beacause casuals are buying. The $250 price tag is the MAIN reason tho.
FanGirl_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FanGirl_22
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts

I don't think so... not enough out fr it yet. It's a good system tho. :D

hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 hiho24
[QUOTE="hiho24"]

Nintendo doesn't deserve these high sales numbers, they earned them. I find that topic question to be absurd.

Nintendo has gained the popularity they have because they understand the market. Nintendo understands that they dont need the best and fine tuned graphical presentations and online. A gamer may consider these to be key but their market which is the 360 and PS3 are further tuned to be for enthusiast of a videogaming experience.

I really dont understand why people are so confused on the Wii's success. Ever since Reggie began talking about the blue ocean strategy and being a market distruptor, it was obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful.

JakeT

Forget that I even mentioned Reggie, I only had mentioned him to place a name to the press conference that I was refering to.  I rephrase my comment saying that it should have been obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful after they began showing their intentions of borrowing from the Blue Ocean strategy and being a market distruptor.

Nintendo drew commonalities of the Wii to that of Southwest Airlines.  Where SouthWest agrees that if they can get people to fly more than take the train than they've won.  Where if Nintendo can get people to create a Mii and play Wii sports for 23 minutes than rather watching a sitcom, they win.

Nintendo has earned their sales because they get the industry. And that if they can find means to compete against the casual and non-gamer crowd then they have won. 

Asking if the Wii deserves high sales numbers is like asking if an Olympic Runner deserves the Gold medal despite him running the fastest race...

JakeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 JakeT
[QUOTE="JakeT"][QUOTE="hiho24"]

hiho24

Forget that I even mentioned Reggie, I only had mentioned him to place a name to the press conference that I was refering to. I rephrase my comment saying that it should have been obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful after they began showing their intentions of borrowing from the Blue Ocean strategy and being a market distruptor.

Nintendo drew commonalities of the Wii to that of Southwest Airlines. Where SouthWest agrees that if they can get people to fly more than take the train than they've won. Where if Nintendo can get people to create a Mii and play Wii sports for 23 minutes than rather watching a sitcom, they win.

Nintendo has earned their sales because they get the industry. And that if they can find means to compete against the casual and non-gamer crowd then they have won.

Asking if the Wii deserves high sales numbers is like asking if an Olympic Runner deserves the Gold medal despite him running the fastest race...

I still contend that press conferences are a dime a dozen and despite the strategy of Nintendo this generation (which by and large has worked) they aren't always successful in their prophecies. The previous console generations started much the same way. With both the N64 and the GameCube, Nintendo came out of each E3 confident and stout in the idea that they would dominate and obtain the top spot each time. Those prophecies were never fulfilled quite obviously.

In my eyes, if Sony was dominating the roles would be reversed and the Cows would be singing the praises of Kutaragi as being a mastermind and effective prophet of this generation. Same goes for MS and their claims that they would obliterate the competition with a year head start. The Wii's strategy is working, but that doesn't negate the fact that the same kind of presentations were present at Nintendo's conferences in the past and they were not fulfilled.

No matter which faction comes out on top this gen, the victor will claim that their company predicted it and it happened.

Regardless, people seem to be getting hung up on the term "deserve" in this context. The body of the post is more clear in asking why it is selling so well, which was the main point all along.

Last_Stand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 Last_Stand
Member since 2004 • 3281 Posts

Yes, because Nintendo realized that people don't care how much horsepower a console can generate when it costs $600. I hope the Wii wins and reverses the trend so the mainstream can actually afford to play video games and the industry doesn't stagnate.

But on the issue of why it sells well, it's the press and word of mouth. Every major media outlet is talking about the Wii and how everyone is playing it. On top of that, a lot of people who own a Wii show it to others and they could become inspired to buy one. I never see Wii commercials here in Ohio, but the things still sell because of positive press. 

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts
I think the Wii started out as a fad, but Nintendo was smart enough to realized that it's a generation too soon to develop a HD oriented console with a huge price tag. And sitting next to the PS3 and the 360 it looks super cheap.
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 hiho24
[QUOTE="hiho24"][QUOTE="JakeT"][QUOTE="hiho24"]

JakeT

Forget that I even mentioned Reggie, I only had mentioned him to place a name to the press conference that I was refering to. I rephrase my comment saying that it should have been obvious that Nintendo was going to be successful after they began showing their intentions of borrowing from the Blue Ocean strategy and being a market distruptor.

Nintendo drew commonalities of the Wii to that of Southwest Airlines. Where SouthWest agrees that if they can get people to fly more than take the train than they've won. Where if Nintendo can get people to create a Mii and play Wii sports for 23 minutes than rather watching a sitcom, they win.

I still contend that press conferences are a dime a dozen and despite the strategy of Nintendo this generation (which by and large has worked) they aren't always successful in their prophecies. The previous console generations started much the same way. With both the N64 and the GameCube, Nintendo came out of each E3 confident and stout in the idea that they would dominate and obtain the top spot each time. Those prophecies were never fulfilled quite obviously.

In my eyes, if Sony was dominating the roles would be reversed and the Cows would be singing the praises of Kutaragi as being a mastermind and effective prophet of this generation. Same goes for MS and their claims that they would obliterate the competition with a year head start. The Wii's strategy is working, but that doesn't negate the fact that the same kind of presentations were present at Nintendo's conferences in the past and they were not fulfilled.

No matter which faction comes out on top this gen, the victor will claim that their company predicted it and it happened.

Regardless, people seem to be getting hung up on the term "deserve" in this context. The body of the post is more clear in asking why it is selling so well, which was the main point all along.

Market Distruption has been Nintendo's Mantra for the past two years.  The press conference was only the starting point but over and over again it re-iterated its intent of being a market distruptor.  When success hit, people were surpised, and threads like these only multiply the question on "why Wii is successful" and as I said in my first post. Because Nintendo knows the market. Which market?  The casual market, the majority market.

This thread is asking what factors makes Nintendo popular.  And I've added my two cents that its the market distruption factor that makes it popular.  Not that Market Distruption means anything to the casual common purchaser.  But the elements are what cause them to buy it.  It offers new rendtion of play, word-of-mouth seems to sell a lot of systems on its own.  How can you tell?  Well everywhere everyone wants to play Wii sports.  The very fact that Nintendo was able to manage to put motion control into a gaming interface and sell it with a sleek clean look for a cheap price is what drives the consumer to it.

Nintendo has spoken for quite some time about their Market Distruption and they've acted accordingly to back up their claims.  Thats why the Wii has such high sales numbers.

glitchgeeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#119 glitchgeeman
Member since 2005 • 5638 Posts

If a console sells, who are we to argue whether it deserves it or not? Obviously, Nintendo must be doing something that has made it so popular, and if they have, then they deserve to get those sales.

Avatar image for whitelightnin27
whitelightnin27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 whitelightnin27
Member since 2005 • 223 Posts
have to say no, i sold mine and bought a PS3
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
have to say no, i sold mine and bought a PS3whitelightnin27
You must have made some SERIOUS profit.
sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts
its a fun for the whole family product its pretty fun although the lack of really good games are holding it back
PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 PhoebusFlows
Member since 2007 • 2050 Posts
The success of the Wii has spread a lot of falsehoods about gaming. While it has achieved some positives, I see a lot of negatives as well. It's a largely mixed bag
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

It's not really a matter of deserving.

Nintendo has done a wonderful job at lowering the standards of their fans, providing a poor quality product at an inflated price, and reaching out to a broader audience under the sales pitch of, "here, kids, moms, grannies, everyone, come play this fun little toy -- isn't it neat to hit the ball across the screen, ^___^;;."  I'm surprised how effective these 20 year old franchises, apparently gamers don't mind being fed the same trash for thing 6th time in a row, have been at retaining a fan base who would acknowledge the console as a peice of garbage if it had been made by any other company. 

It's a sick and sad thing for gaming, especially for Nintendo fans, when consumers sacrafice important values to justify their trust in a console.  Things like hardware quality, the freedom to develop all sorts of games on a console, cost, and orgionality should be universal values that go across console-lines.

But, as I've said, when you judge Wii by the values that we have always considered key and important, the console shines for what it is -- a pile of underpowered, overpriced, "family friendly" garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
inflated priceFoamingPanda
Explain.
CyanX73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 CyanX73
Member since 2004 • 3389 Posts

Most everyone on this board can consider themselves a gamer to one degree or another.

As gamers we expect a successful console to have a good number of quality games (quite a few AA and some AAA), and capable hardware if not cutting edge.

So far the Wii has sold phenomenally (I have one myself) and has gained acceptance in the eyes of the gamer and the non-gamer. Why is that?

The games library so far is okay, but nothing extremely compelling as to push sales substantially. The hardware is capable, but not cutting edge or flashy, so flash factor doesn't really play into that picture. So why is it selling like crazy? The casuals don't generally read up on games that aren't advertised heavily, so anticipation of the future isn't really what I think drives it.

Is it the ad campaign? I'll admit the "Wii would like to play" ads are catchy, and that may be a driving force behind it. Or is it the idea of waving the WiiMote around wildly to play games that people are gravitating to?

There is no question that the Wii is selling incredibly well, and could very well become a contender this gen for top spot. The question is why? Price maybe?

Discuss

JakeT

That wacky controller is why. People love that kids are actually moving around. Gives anyone the ability to play because you don't have to deal with the intimadating looking analog controllers. The Wii is accessible by just about any age group and that is why it's doing so well. They marketed to an untapped market or, better yet, a market/demographic Sony and MS neglected: the elderly, toddlers, and the non gamer.  

SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts

Nintendo has done a wonderful job at lowering the standards of their fans, providing a poor quality product at an inflated price, and reaching out to a broader audience under the sales pitch of, "here, kids, moms, grannies, everyone, come play this fun little toy -- isn't it neat to hit the ball across the screen, ^___^;;."  I'm surprised how effective these 20 year old franchises, apparently gamers don't mind being fed the same trash for thing 6th time in a row, have been at retaining a fan base who would acknowledge the console as a peice of garbage if it had been made by any other company. 

It's a sick and sad thing for gaming, especially for Nintendo fans, when consumers sacrafice important values to justify their trust in a console.  Things like hardware quality, the freedom to develop all sorts of games on a console, cost, and orgionality should be universal values that go across console-lines.

But, as I've said, when you judge Wii by the values that we have always considered key and important, the console shines for what it is -- a pile of underpowered, overpriced, "family friendly" garbage.

FoamingPanda

Lowering the standards of their fans?! wtf?!

...how does the Wii is NOT a step forward from the gamecube?! explain please...

Avatar image for deactivated-6456104b3ba80
deactivated-6456104b3ba80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-6456104b3ba80
Member since 2005 • 109 Posts
[QUOTE="Sytzepunk"]

-The-G-Man-

Red Steel wasn't quite as bad as it was made out to be. It didn't meet expectations, but it certainly wasn't the garbage some people say it is.

Redsteel also sold over 1million units worldwide which is miles and miles away from failure. Ubisoft made a freaking killing on that game, and it was mediocre at best. 

Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#129 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"][QUOTE="Sytzepunk"]

cipherr

Red Steel wasn't quite as bad as it was made out to be. It didn't meet expectations, but it certainly wasn't the garbage some people say it is.

Redsteel also sold over 1million units worldwide which is miles and miles away from failure. Ubisoft made a freaking killing on that game, and it was mediocre at best. 

Because a game sells good at its release, doesn't mean its a good a game.

coltonnaslund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 coltonnaslund
Member since 2005 • 3793 Posts
people want it...and they want it bad....games right now are similar to DS's first year......it will grow
NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 NorthlandMan
If the games end up anything like the DS it will be the best console of the gen
NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 NorthlandMan

Nintendo has done a wonderful job at lowering the standards of their fans, providing a poor quality product at an inflated price, and reaching out to a broader audience under the sales pitch of, "here, kids, moms, grannies, everyone, come play this fun little toy -- isn't it neat to hit the ball across the screen, ^___^;;." I'm surprised how effective these 20 year old franchises, apparently gamers don't mind being fed the same trash for thing 6th time in a row, have been at retaining a fan base who would acknowledge the console as a peice of garbage if it had been made by any other company.

It's a sick and sad thing for gaming, especially for Nintendo fans, when consumers sacrafice important values to justify their trust in a console. Things like hardware quality, the freedom to develop all sorts of games on a console, cost, and orgionality should be universal values that go across console-lines.

FoamingPanda

Another highly articulate bu fundamentally flawed piece of "logic" from FoaminPAnda

tell me son, what is it about the Wii that screams low quality to you? Is it the reasonable price, the excelellent build quality, the free online, the in built memory or the pack in game?

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#133 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
The Wii is different and deserves to do well in sales.
LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#134 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
Yes, Nintendo has earned the success the Wii is experiencing.:D
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

tell me son, what is it about the Wii that screams low quality to you? Is it the reasonable price, the excelellent build quality, the free online, the in built memory or the pack in game?

NorthlandMan

Perhaps its the 2000-era hardware? 

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#136 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
[QUOTE="FoamingPanda"]

Nintendo has done a wonderful job at lowering the standards of their fans, providing a poor quality product at an inflated price, and reaching out to a broader audience under the sales pitch of, "here, kids, moms, grannies, everyone, come play this fun little toy -- isn't it neat to hit the ball across the screen, ^___^;;." I'm surprised how effective these 20 year old franchises, apparently gamers don't mind being fed the same trash for thing 6th time in a row, have been at retaining a fan base who would acknowledge the console as a peice of garbage if it had been made by any other company.

It's a sick and sad thing for gaming, especially for Nintendo fans, when consumers sacrafice important values to justify their trust in a console. Things like hardware quality, the freedom to develop all sorts of games on a console, cost, and orgionality should be universal values that go across console-lines.

NorthlandMan

Another highly articulate bu fundamentally flawed piece of "logic" from FoaminPAnda

Disregard anything said by Panda regarding the Wii. Just one look at his blog will tell you how anti-Wii he is.

JakeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 JakeT
[QUOTE="-The-G-Man-"][QUOTE="Sytzepunk"]

cipherr

The fact that it sold that well is still amazing to me. It was a pretty bad game in my book. Glad I only rented it. The Rayman game sold a million for Ubi too and that was fairly entertaining though.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Wii is selling beacause casuals are buying. The $250 price tag is the MAIN reason tho.springz300

can't disagree more. if the wii was just a regular system at 250 if would not be doing nearly as well. it didn't get the massive amount of press just because it's nintendo or because of it's price. it got those because it used a new way of playing and had wii sports. 

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="NorthlandMan"]

Teufelhuhn

i'd say 2003-era but with it being so small it's like 2005 maybe.  size does matter ;)
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Well.. It deserves sales because it does something new..

Some may complain about that the controller sucks.. But we haven't really seen a whole lot of what the Wii control scheme may be capable of. In order to ensure that the wii controllers potential will be tapped to the max the Wii should get sales.. Sucks if it would fail only because itdoes something new that no developers yet can use in any satisfying way..

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="NorthlandMan"]

Ontain

i'd say 2003-era but with it being so small it's like 2005 maybe. size does matter ;)

The design for the core hardware (CPU and GPU) is straight out of the year 2000.  They have been shrunk down (which couldn't have been done in 2000), but in terms of what it can actually do its only slightly more capable than a GameCube.  

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
A combination of the price and the new way to play games.web966
Really easy to understand. Yet people still don't get it.
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

FoamingPanda

oh man, you hit the nail on the head. I can't get over how many poeple call nintendo innovative these days, but their games are formulaic to a fault. Intelligent systems in the only dev house in their 1st party lineup i still respect.

It is overpriced hardware, its barely a step up from the gamecube but is being sold for 4 times more. It's probably cheaper to make the wii now than it is a gamecube. If any other company pulled the same trick out of the hat they would fail hard.

i just feel digusted with their attitude towards games, they simply don't respect them as art anymore and are content to release their KFC style mini game packages and watered down franchises.

jbisco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#144 jbisco25
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts
its because people are not fanboys or sheep and buy things they like.
NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 NorthlandMan
[QUOTE="NorthlandMan"]

Teufelhuhn

Maybe he'd have reason to complain if the Wii was priced the same as the premium 360 or the PS3, but it's not. it's significantly cheaper than both and it offers something that the other consoles do not. If he cannot stand SD graphics anymore that's his problem. Personally i play games not graphics. That's why the PS2 is still my console of choice. That's why i own a DS. That's why i'll buy a 360 and a Wii when there are games on the console that justify the expense.

If he doesnt want to pay less for less powerful hardware regardless of the games that's his  problem. like i said i play games not graphics

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Teuf_

Maybe he'd have reason to complain if the Wii was priced the same as the premium 360 or the PS3, but it's not. it's significantly cheaper than both and it offers something that the other consoles do not. If he cannot stand SD graphics anymore that's his problem. Personally i play games not graphics. That's why the PS2 is still my console of choice. That's why i own a DS. That's why i'll buy a 360 and a Wii when there are games on the console that justify the expense.

If he doesnt want to pay less for less powerful hardware regardless of the games that's his my problem. Personally i play games not graphics

NorthlandMan

Personally I don't think its too unreasonable to question why a console costs more than its predecessor, yet is nearly identical in terms of hardware features. There's little doubt among the tech community that Nintendo could have put some better hardware in there and still sold it for $250.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#147 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The design for the core hardware (CPU and GPU) is straight out of the year 2000. They have been shrunk down (which couldn't have been done in 2000), but in terms of what it can actually do its only slightly more capable than a GameCube.

Teufelhuhn

What about the Wifi, SD card compatibility, Flash RAM and power usage less than that of a light bulb? The main structure of the CPU and GPU may be out of 2000... but the Wii itself is something that really could not have been done before now for the price that it is. ;)
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Teuf_
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]The design for the core hardware (CPU and GPU) is straight out of the year 2000. They have been shrunk down (which couldn't have been done in 2000), but in terms of what it can actually do its only slightly more capable than a GameCube.

foxhound_fox

What about the Wifi, SD card compatibility, Flash RAM and power usage less than that of a light bulb? The main structure of the CPU and GPU may be out of 2000... but the Wii itself is something that really could not have been done before now for the price that it is. ;)

Well I was really only talking about the core technology in there, and even I admit that in their current state the CPU and GPU simply could not have been manufactured in the year 2000.  And of course I'm really only talking about how I see things, since the Wi-Fi and SD and the size might be more important to other people than it is to me.  I don't presume that everyone is nearly as geeky as I am.  :P
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#149 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
[QUOTE="NorthlandMan"]

If he doesnt want to pay less for less powerful hardware regardless of the games that's his my problem. Personally i play games not graphics

Teufelhuhn

Personally I don't think its too unreasonable to question why a console costs more than its predecessor, yet is nearly identical in terms of hardware features. There's little doubt among the tech community that Nintendo could have put some better hardware in there and still sold it for $250.

Could they have? Absolutely.
But do so while factoring in all the other costs involved and still make a profit? Less likely.
Plus, consider other benefits of keeping the hardware similar, in terms of games development.

I guess it's how you look at it. You, a techie, look at it from a technical cost aspect and say $250 is unjustifyable.
I, an economist, look at it from an economics cost-benefit analysis, and say $250 is totally justified.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Teuf_

I guess it's how you look at it. You, a techie, look at it from a technical cost aspect and say $250 is unjustifyable.
I, an economist, look at it from an economics cost-benefit analysis, and say $250 is totally justified.

Hoffgod

Right, right.  I wasn't trying to say I was absolutely right, just saying that it's possible to have a certain viewpoint where you wouldn't exactly be thrilled with the guts of the Wii.  :D