Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#151 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@so_hai said:

@Johnny-n-Roger:

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@so_hai said:

@MBirdy88: I never said anything was "better", it's the PC users who claim that they're better, not console users. If you claim you're better, you better have good reasons.

I said was that it conservative, by definition, to retain hardware configurations first popularized when Reagan was POTUS. It may be your preferred method, but it cannot be called cutting edge and must be called conservative.

I'm not interested in what's better, and I never said anything was better or worse. You seem to very worried about "better" as you wrote it four times in capitals, which makes you seem like you've taken personal offence.

You're throwing around terms without putting them into context. Legacy. Conservative. Not Cutting Edge. You're calling KBM all of these things without providing any counter-examples or alternatives.

Which part do you need clarification on?

I use legacy as in it is too entrenched and old to be practically replaced.

Conservative in the literal sense - the control method has been conserved.

Not Cutting Edge - (see Legacy).

And, if you're worried about terms, can you explain "master race" to me?

For the keyboard and Mice to be "legacy" devices there needs to be at least one better alternative, by all means please tell us what the better alternatives are. Even if you want to type on a touch screen device, you are still presented with a digital keyboard and touch screen navigation on a monitor or even a laptop screen is cumbersome and impractical.

It's been conserved because there are no truly viable alternatives, not because they are being protected.

Keyboards and Mice have continually advanced over the years, with much better switches and programmable keys. Apart from basic design, modern mice are almost incomparable to the original devices, which were nothing more than upside down trackballs with one button.

What the hell does the term "master race" have to do with anything in this thread? If you really want to know, it was term first used to belittle PC gamers and was then picked up by some as a badge of honour (Personally I don't use it, nor do I use terms like "Lemming, Cow" or "Sheep"). These days, on this board at least, I see it used more and more often by console gamers trying to use it (especially Xbox One X fans) to describe their own gaming platform preference as superior to any other.

This is almost as bad as your continued attempts to make people think PC, Mac and Linux are different platforms, even though all three operating systems can be installed, at the same time, on a single machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@so_hai said:

@Johnny-n-Roger:

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@so_hai said:

@MBirdy88: I never said anything was "better", it's the PC users who claim that they're better, not console users. If you claim you're better, you better have good reasons.

I said was that it conservative, by definition, to retain hardware configurations first popularized when Reagan was POTUS. It may be your preferred method, but it cannot be called cutting edge and must be called conservative.

I'm not interested in what's better, and I never said anything was better or worse. You seem to very worried about "better" as you wrote it four times in capitals, which makes you seem like you've taken personal offence.

You're throwing around terms without putting them into context. Legacy. Conservative. Not Cutting Edge. You're calling KBM all of these things without providing any counter-examples or alternatives.

It can't be replaced because it's the optimal method of control for a lot of genres. If someone came up with something better, that something better would replace KB + M. The fact that nothing better has come along is telling.

And controllers have been around just as long as KB + M.

There exists no device(s) as precise for FPS input as KBM. That's why I don't understand why we're talking about KBM as if we can only make abstract comparisons.

Ey now look m8, saying technical facts and observing with experience that a Mouse is far more precise for FPS and other genres is your "Preferred Method" ok? Twisty little analog sticks and touch screen controls are "Cutting Edge" , your 18000 DPI RGB 20 button macro invested mouse is "Conservative" get with the times ya old bint!

/s

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#153  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

@so_hai said:

@Johnny-n-Roger:

"I use legacy as in it is too entrenched and old to be practically replaced." This only applies to KBM in the event that superior input technology exists. If you're not providing that then the point is moot.

"Conservative in the literal sense - the control method has been conserved."Conservative in this context is a relative term. There is nothing objective about this observation, nor is the observation related to quality in any way. Not even sure why this is relevant. XBOX and PS4 controllers could be described as relatively conservative.

"Not Cutting Edge - (see Legacy)."Circular logic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@so_hai said:

@Johnny-n-Roger:

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@so_hai said:

For the keyboard and Mice to be "legacy" devices there needs to be at least one better alternative, by all means please tell us what the better alternatives are. Even if you want to type on a touch screen device, you are still presented with a digital keyboard and touch screen navigation on a monitor or even a laptop screen is cumbersome and impractical.

It's been conserved because there are no truly viable alternatives, not because they are being protected.

Keyboards and Mice have continually advanced over the years, with much better switches and programmable keys. Apart from basic design, modern mice are almost incomparable to the original devices, which were nothing more than upside down trackballs with one button.

What the hell does the term "master race" have to do with anything in this thread? If you really want to know, it was term first used to belittle PC gamers and was then picked up by some as a badge of honour (Personally I don't use it, nor do I use terms like "Lemming, Cow" or "Sheep"). These days, on this board at least, I see it used more and more often by console gamers trying to use it (especially Xbox One X fans) to describe their own gaming platform preference as superior to any other.

This is almost as bad as your continued attempts to make people think PC, Mac and Linux are different platforms, even though all three operating systems can be installed, at the same time, on a single machine.

He did? oh god I'm out...

I can install Windows , Linux and Mac all one device and swap between. Hell I can have all 3 running in VMs at once.

Can I run a PS4 or a Switch on an Xbox?

damn.....

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

nah. mmo and mobas rule the roost.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

@Jag85 said:

That's interesting, considering China generally has the world's highest levels of Japanophobia, with some polls showing 90% of Chinese holding anti-Japanese views and only 5% holding positive views of Japan. Yet it doesn't seem like this has had much of a negative impact on Japanese games in China. This could explain why, in recent years, more and more Japanese games are being released on PC, in an attempt to crack the Chinese market. The Chinese games I'm familiar with are online MMO/MOBA games (which don't play much like JRPGs, though many have anime-esque art styles), though I'm not too familiar with Chinese single-player games (which could be more like JRPGs).

China's role in the video game industry is becoming very much like its role in the movie industry. Just as we're now seeing more movies from around the world catering to the Chinese market, we're going to be seeing more video games from around the world catering to the Chinese market. As a consumer market, China is becoming hugely important, since it's now the largest video game market in the world. But on the development side of things, China still has a long way to go before it catches up with Japan or America.

The Chinese don't really seem to like South Koreans as much either yet Crossfire is their most played FPS game. South Koreans don't seem to like Chinese much either and even hate them more than Japan some say yet most South Korean developers/publishers immediately try to localize their games for China soon as they're done with the KR version.

China has a long way to go on the development side but it seems they're picking up the pace. The main problem standalone games in China are currently facing now is funding. Back before Steam was introduced the Chinese standalone game market was only worth $26 million dollars. Making a premium game in China that wasn't built on a indie basement level budget was financial suicide due to the lack of a market and rampant piracy. The Legend Of Sword And Fairy series is a fairly popular series in China but based off the best selling PC games of all time list only two of them have managed breaking a million copies sold the games also have incredibly low production values which is why the graphics for the recent titles look very dated and are very glitchy same applies to Xuan-Yuan Sword series and Gujian series.

Tencent are starting to fund some locally made Chinese premium games in attempt to keep them exclusive on WeGame in China and not have them on Steam in that region.

Faith Of Danschant is a recent AAA Chinese PC game and its the first one to use Unreal Engine 4 too. It plays like the older Final Fantasy titles. One of the main discussions people had about the game is if it should be called a JRPG because of its combat system being like one. It's on Steam but its region locked to Hong Kong and Taiwan currently. Tencent paid for it to be a timed exclusive on WeGame in Mainland China but the devs do plan on doing a global release eventually.

Loading Video...

Another AAA PC game from China coming out is Gujian 3/Swords Of Legends 3. While I did point out that the previous games have very low production values they kicked it up several notches with this one. The MMO spinoff game also looks to be one of the best looking MMO games to come out.

Loading Video...

Bloody Spell is an upcoming indie PC game with Devil may Cry inspired combat

Loading Video...

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:

nah. mmo and mobas rule the roost.

Moba's have the most toxic community.

Avatar image for brielle_gazelle7
brielle_gazelle7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#158 brielle_gazelle7
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I personally like PC gaming. But it all depends on the game... :D

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

A legacy method that is still a standard in gaming and work...

"Legacy" Lets put it into context:

denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.

Text to speech replaces the keyboa..... oh wait

Touch Screen replaced the.... oh wait.....

There is just nothing as efficient and easy to use as a mouse and keyboard, this applies to simple browsing, to games, to work.

There is nothing "Legacy" about it, nothing that has followed is even close enough to make it legacy.

Least of all Controllers designed for kids with limited buttons and... ANALOGS (f*ck me are they crap except racing)

He's using the Apple terminology for Legacy like they did with headphone jacks....

"It's Legacy cos i say it is" or "It's Legacy cos i want it to be"

Something becomes legacy because it gets superseded by better and more affordable options, except there still isn't a better or especially a more affordable option even after more than 3 decades, so, way off base.

dragore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#160 dragore
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

@NoodleFighter: I agree. China does produce some pretty sweet games now. Rn I play Clash of Kings on my phone and didn't even realise it was chinese. Haven't heard of Tencent but would look em up.