Do you think VR will become mainstream next gen?

• 76 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think VR will become mainstream next gen? (64 votes)

Yes 33%
No 67%

I can see it happening, especially if Sony continues to support it. They’ve been releasing great games for the PSVR and they seem committed to the medium. Next gen, they’ll have more power to play with and this should help make VR more popular. What do you think, SW? Do you think VR will become mainstream next gen?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58961 Posts

Until the price drops and it becomes more compact and better supported, no.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Until the price drops and it becomes more compact and better supported, no.

yeah this.

i bought a psvr and sold it a few months later. i thought it showed potential but was still pretty immature in terms of the hardware and gaming experience

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm just hoping PS5 is compatible with current PSVR headsets.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Yes, it will. But I'll emphasis this very carefully: Towards the end of the generation. If generation 9 lasts from 2020-2027 or even 2019-2026 then I'd put all my money on VR being mainstream in gaming within that time. I do believe that it will be more popular than the entire console market by the end of the generation, because of standalone headsets. Standalone headsets in 2024 or 2025 should be selling as well as consoles and VR headsets should really be getting between 20-40% userbase share on each of the three consoles by that point. (I expect every console to support VR next gen even if some aren't at launch)

If we have a 10th generation of consoles, then VR should be ubiquitous by the end and just be a part of daily life, like smartphones are today.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

No, I really don’t think so myself. I think it’s just one of those things that a lot of people wow over for a bit then fades away.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I don't think they will be fully mainstream, but much better supported. I find that the "wow" factor never really goes away. The only issue I find with the current headset is that I havn't found a really amazing game. There is some good ones but nothing great.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

I'm not sure how you want to define mainstream but my expectations are:

1.) More popular than PS4 PSVR ecosystem (unit sales, game sales, etc.)

2.) Not a fourth of the entire PS5 userbase will buy them even at the end of the PS5/XB2 gen.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Definitely. It'll be wireless, way better resolution, better tracking, better controls, better games, better price than when the current units were released, etc. I'm looking forward to playing Tetris in VR... Yup, I said it lol. Read the review before judging.

SchnabbleTab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SchnabbleTab
Member since 2013 • 1488 Posts

I hope so, I have a Rift and it's amazing, but the resolution and the cables are still annoying. VR is only going to improve and can't wait to play big AAA games in VR sometime in the future.

Migina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Migina
Member since 2018 • 56 Posts

Not yet, to be honest. It is the future, but it needs major overhaul. Right now the headset is a bit cumbersome and the cables an issue. Make it easier for casual gamers and it'll take off. I expect maybe within the next 10-15 years.

The questions is, considering half of Sony's world wide studios are working on VR titles, is it possible their focus moving forward is a VR machine? Don't know if for PS5, but perhaps PS6.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

It'll never be mainstream, because it's physically restrictive. There are people who simply cannot enjoy VR because it causes them to be nauseous or induces eye strain/headache. Even people it doesn't negatively effect, some don't want to be disconnected from the rest of the world. It will continue to grow, yes, but it'll never be big enough to be mainstream.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@JustPlainLucas said:

It'll never be mainstream, because it's physically restrictive. There are people who simply cannot enjoy VR because it causes them to be nauseous or induces eye strain/headache. Even people it doesn't negatively effect, some don't want to be disconnected from the rest of the world. It will continue to grow, yes, but it'll never be big enough to be mainstream.

You've made this conclusion based on current headsets though, without realizing that these are 1st gen devices that will improve and change fundamentally.

Eye strain and headaches were already fixed by Oculus' varifocal displays in the Half Dome prototype. They will be forever gone in a few years when it hits consumers.

Nausea is not a hardware problem anymore. It's caused by software, which in turn means it's a developer choice. You'll have a huge amount of uses for VR even if you get sick very easily, because sitting in a virtual theater, socializing with friends, working in VR, stepping into recorded memories, reconstructed photos, or a live concert cannot cause sickness.

VR is actually going to be one of the least physically restrictive devices, because it will help those who are disabled to explore new worlds and our own world.

So none of this will have any affect on VR's long-term success.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1

@joshrmeyer said:

Definitely. It'll be wireless, way better resolution, better tracking, better controls, better games, better price than when the current units were released, etc. I'm looking forward to playing Tetris in VR... Yup, I said it lol. Read the review before judging.

I played the demo. It was different. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Like how good would tetris really be in VR. Don't know if its worth $50 though.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

nah this shit needs a long way to go. and honestly i dont think it will ever get there.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blueberry_Bandit

@KBFloYd said:

nah this shit needs a long way to go. and honestly i dont think it will ever get there.

A long way to go, how exactly? I'm curious to see where you think it needs to be since whatever that is, it's undoubtedly going to get there short of a global catastrophe.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

A long way to go, how exactly? I'm curious to see where you think it needs to be since whatever that is, it's undoubtedly going to get there short of a global catastrophe.

1. it has to be done without a headset and without it completely blinding you while its on. thats the main one that makes me think it will never take off. maybe put a camera facing outwards to you can see whats around you in your room too. then maybe press a button to switch to VR mode. people dont like putting shit on their head for long perids. it gets annoying. people are lazy.

2. also it needs to be cheaper. 400$ for a ps4 pro + 200$ for a psvr kit is 600$. thats too much.

3. software. it needs to have exclusive AAA games.

4. not make people dizzy or have headaches. this one is impossible to overcome.

in needs a long long long way to go.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@KBFloYd said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

1. it has to be done without a headset and without it completely blinding you while its on. thats the main one that makes me think it will never take off. maybe put a camera facing outwards to you can see whats around you in your room too. then maybe press a button to switch to VR mode. people dont like putting shit on their head for long perids. it gets annoying. people are lazy.

2. also it needs to be cheaper. 400$ for a ps4 pro + 200$ for a psvr kit is 600$. thats too much.

1. It doesn't have to be done without a headset unless your definition of headset ends at glasses. We'll get to glasses at which point it's really a non-issue in comfort and effort. VR will grow to use MR/AR inside the same headset, meaning you'll be able to do anything in VR while seeing real life simultaneously both separated if chosen. This is much more than your suggestion, because you'll see real life scans, not a camera view of real life. Which is why you would be able to see both, because they overlay onto each other. Early version of this here on mobile hardware:

Loading Video...

2. It's too much today because the tech is still not able to offer as much as it ideally would be capable of. When you can start replacing TVs, cut down on travel, socialize and do lots of things virtually that replace the need for spending money in real life, the value goes up massively. But $400 for an Oculus Quest, as a standalone headset is not a bad price. It's a console, and $400 is pretty normal for consoles.

3. There are a bunch of exclusive AAA games on their way. These will start to hit in 2019.

4. I already mentioned Half Dome in this thread. It fixes this. Very near term stuff, never going to be brought up again when it hits consumers in a few years.

So really, all of this is near-term stuff aside from glasses-size which would probably be 10+ years out. But 10+ years is nothing.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

1. It doesn't have to be done without a headset unless your definition of headset ends at glasses. We'll get to glasses at which point it's really a non-issue in comfort and effort. VR will grow to use MR/AR inside the same headset, meaning you'll be able to do anything in VR while seeing real life simultaneously both separated if chosen. This is much more than your suggestion, because you'll see real life scans, not a camera view of real life. Which is why you would be able to see both, because they overlay onto each other. Early version of this here on mobile hardware:

Loading Video...

2. It's too much today because the tech is still not able to offer as much as it ideally would be capable of. When you can start replacing TVs, cut down on travel, socialize and do lots of things virtually that replace the need for spending money in real life, the value goes up massively. But $400 for an Oculus Quest, as a standalone headset is not a bad price. It's a console, and $400 is pretty normal for consoles.

3. There are a bunch of exclusive AAA games on their way. These will start to hit in 2019.

4. I already mentioned Half Dome in this thread. It fixes this. Very near term stuff, never going to be brought up again when it hits consumers in a few years.

So really, all of this is near-term stuff aside from glasses-size which would probably be 10+ years out. But 10+ years is nothing.

a lot of promises there. some with no answer(like price). like i said long way to go.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@KBFloYd: I can tell you've never used a VR unit. My cheap Samsung VR has a camera on it so you can see without taking off the headset. PSVR doesn't yet, but you're dumb to think that's something hard to implement. They didn't stop making boats when people got sea sick or rollercoasters etc. There are tons of games that wouldn't make you sick that are available. You can get a slim and psvr for $400 new. That's not a lot considering what you get. It does have exclusive AAA games. And the ones that aren't exclusive are still AAA in VR which is a totally different experience.(Resident Evil, Elder Scrolls Skyrim for example)

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blueberry_Bandit

@KBFloYd said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@KBFloYd said:

Loading Video...

a lot of promises there. some with no answer(like price). like i said long way to go.

I did answer price. The value becomes higher so people will be more willing to spend money, and for those that still don't, they can purchase a standalone headset for cheap, and console-focused headsets like PSVR will eventually hit $150 or so. The only promise is glasses, which have been made in labs, so it's totally physically possible.

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

No but I expect it to become somewhat mainstream by the time the PS6 rolls around.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Mainstream by definition it being on a console already makes it mainstream.

I guess you mean will it pick up in terms of sales or if more developers would take advantage of it?

Its a cache 22 scenario really or a what came first the egg or the chicken... Developers won't risk making content until their is a market to justify it and the consumers aren't interested until there are games worth buying for it.

You would literally need something on the scale of Minecraft or PUBG/Fortnite buzz/success to get VR selling like hot cakes to the mass public and as of right now even hard core gamer's who own multiple consoles and high end gaming PC's have little to no interest in VR.

Next generation is sink or swim in my opinion when it comes to VR on consoles... It could easily end up like X1/PS4 with motion controllers crossing over from the previous generation and then being completely abandoned due to sales.

In my opinion unless the console is bundled with VR headsets... VR just won't make it. As the cost to entry is too high for matching the price of a console in a market where a Pro is being out sold by a standard PS4?... Yeah that doesn't look good.

mane_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mane_basic
Member since 2002 • 537 Posts

@npiet1 said:

I don't think they will be fully mainstream, but much better supported. I find that the "wow" factor never really goes away. The only issue I find with the current headset is that I havn't found a really amazing game. There is some good ones but nothing great.

this is just how I feel. I love my rift I think the tech is amazing but there is very few games I truly enjoy. i'm waiting on the bigger budget games that are coming to see. i'm hopefully with all the lessons oculus and devs have learnt these pass few years.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Don't worry VR people. Your dream will come true. It will just be about another 150 years or so. Of course by then it will have stiff competition from holodecks...

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

VR should focus on First Person games. All of the First Person games that people enjoy should move to that format. Coolyfett thinks that is the only way that way of gaming will grow. VR is supposed to make you feel like you are actually in the video game world you are in. First Person games seem to be attempting the same. The industry would have to come together to make that change. If they continue to put First Person titles on consoles and PC without requiring the headset it will be slow growth.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@jackamomo said:

Don't worry VR people. Your dream will come true. It will just be about another 150 years or so. Of course by then it will have stiff competition from holodecks...

A Holodeck is still VR though.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: lolz.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blueberry_Bandit

@Coolyfett said:

VR should focus on First Person games. All of the First Person games that people enjoy should move to that format. Coolyfett thinks that is the only way that way of gaming will grow. VR is supposed to make you feel like you are actually in the video game world you are in. First Person games seem to be attempting the same. The industry would have to come together to make that change. If they continue to put First Person titles on consoles and PC without requiring the headset it will be slow growth.

The focus should be on 1st person, I agree. But there is still substantial room for 3rd person and other perspectives in VR. Games like Astro Bot, Hellblade, and Moss are prime examples that truly elevate 3rd person games to new heights.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#29 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Oculus Quest is the gateway.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

It's the game library that's holding it back. There are not any RDR2, COD, Kingdom Come or any other popular franchise that most gamers really want to play nor any such as Cyberpunk in the foreseeable future. There is always very little hype for any VR game to date. VR is pretty cool and the next gen headsets like Pimax 5k+ and 8k will make the experience as it should be in 2018 for a mainstream affordable product but there just aren't a steady flow of hype-able franchises for it.

Even a VR option using a gamepad would be sufficient for owners as RE 7 showed but these oddball VR only games are just that and usually only fun for a few hours. Steam is just over flooded with these funky Indie VR games that are more like buggy demo's than real games. The data clearly shows that many owners of VR sets are not playing as often likely because the novelty has worn off and not enough good games to keep them coming back.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Yes. Towards the end of the PS5 lifespan, VR will be mainstream.

That means within the next 10 years or so. By 2030, VR will be mainstream.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 npiet1

@pimphand_gamer: Bethseda has stated they support VR which is why Skyrim and Fallout 4 had VR options. I hope they continue this trend with the next elder scrolls and fallout 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well its dying, so by next gen it will be dead.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I don't really think so. It's not something that you want to use for hours of gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I saw yes, as in won't be a niche gimmick device, at least on PC.

I just doubt PSVR 1 and PSVR 2 combined will be above 10 million sales. I see it becoming a must have on PC before it ever becomes a mainstream thing on console.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Too expensive yet for mainstream consumption and the games are still trying to find their feet... Sometimes literally.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

If we're using a conservative estimate I would have to agree with this. I think it could actually take less time, but if you want to play it safe, I think this is probably an accurate timeline.

@ajstyles said:

Yes. Towards the end of the PS5 lifespan, VR will be mainstream.

That means within the next 10 years or so. By 2030, VR will be mainstream.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

PSVR headset is ahead of the hardware and tracking mechanism is not good. I think if Sony is smart they should maybe make a revised PSVR with better tracking but same spec. Keep the same price and let it go down. PS5 should be a better proper support for PSVR. Then legitimate potential great VR games like GTS will have better modes then the silly 2 cars mode. GTS is every where in Motorsport right now. It got even Ferrari Boss shook. Adding a full on VR to that could be huge. There have also been some nice games lately on PSVR. They are just limited by ps4 and the entry cost is still high.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Personally i dont consider something 'being mainstream' as a qualifier for good quality or even a qualifier of interest, having said that, the innovations this year that I have seen in play are amazing leaps in the already exciting tech

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blueberry_Bandit

@i_p_daily said:

Well its dying, so by next gen it will be dead.

There's a greater chance of you reaching the end of that endless road than VR dying.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TryIt

@ellos said:

PSVR headset is ahead of the hardware and tracking mechanism is not good. I think if Sony is smart they should maybe make a revised PSVR with better tracking but same spec. Keep the same price and let it go down. PS5 should be a better proper support for PSVR. Then legitimate potential great VR games like GTS will have better modes then the silly 2 cars mode. GTS is every where in Motorsport right now. It got even Ferrari Boss shook. Adding a full on VR to that could be huge. There have also been some nice games lately on PSVR. They are just limited by ps4 and the entry cost is still high.

think on this.

when VR came out retail 2 years ago the highest resolution VR headset was Oculus Rift.

ALL the VR headsets coming out next year by the two 'real' vendors of VR (HTC and Oculus) the Oculus Rift will now be the lowest resolution.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I don't think it will become mainstream, at least not with my definition of mainstream. There are just way too many people around who can't afford it. But it will always have a place because it is really awesome and people who actually have some money will want to experience it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

lol :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I think it will be in 10 years the tech isn't there yet. I own a Rift and it's damn impressive. I've had some amazing immersive moments in VR there is something special seeing some of your favorite games in VR. But being tether to your PC sucks. But make no mistake VR is no gimmick it's a niche product not ready for the mainstream yet.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TryIt

@warmblur said:

I think it will be in 10 years the tech isn't there yet. I own a Rift and it's damn impressive. I've had some amazing immersive moments in VR there is something special seeing some of your favorite games in VR. But being tether to your PC sucks. But make no mistake VR is no gimmick it's a niche product not ready for the mainstream yet.

I got caught up on what is happen in VR lately and what I learned is amazing.

in 2019, between what HTC Vive has coming and what Oculus has coming, the Rift will now have the lowest resolution between the two companies AND both companies have solved the camera/wire problem.

Check this out: (but take it from the start, my link is timestamped and frankly I dont know how to make it go away)

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

in 2019, between what HTC Vive has coming and what Oculus has coming, the Rift will now have the lowest resolution between the two companies AND both companies have solved the camera/wire problem.

Check this out:

Loading Video...

I'm aware of the Quest and going wireless is the right direction but it's not even up to the Rift's complete specs.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blueberry_Bandit

@warmblur said:
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

Check this out:

Loading Video...

I'm aware of the Quest and going wireless is the right direction but it's not even up to the Rift's complete specs.

To a degree. Refresh rate is lower, but it has a higher resolution and better lenses. It will still be running games like Robo Recall, Moss, Beat Saber.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm not sure whether VR will ever go completely mainstream just because a lot of people have a genetic predisposition to VR sickness. I do believe that it will be a growing segment through the end of next-gen, though.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

There are rumors of a Rift S and of course the leaked Valve HMD. HTC will likely be out of the race going forward. No one really likes HTC as a company and Valve will take most of their current Vive userbase and future userbase with their headset because people do like Valve, and they will be a cheaper and better offering than whatever HTC can provide. They also can't compete well in standalones because Oculus Quest is $200 cheaper and substantially better than their offering.

So HTC will only be relevant in China once these other 2 headsets are released.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TryIt

@warmblur said:
@tryit said:
@warmblur said:

Check this out:

Loading Video...

but I am saying it IS ABOVE the Rifts specs.

Its like the only sentence I wrote above..did you not read it?