Do you think Phil Spencer is doing a good job with the Xbox brand?

• 74 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think Phil Spencer is doing a good job with the Xbox brand? (55 votes)

Yes 47%
No 53%

I like how Phil has made Xbox more gamer centric, introducing new services and offering different hardware. I think he also gets that Xbox is really lacking in the games department, and is working to fix that. Overall, I think he's doing an OK job. But if Xbox doesn't start making quality first party content, then I say go on the next guy. What about you, W? Do you think Phil Spencer is doing a good job with the Xbox brand?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Yup. It's less of a shitshow.

LnV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2 LnV
Member since 2018 • 151 Posts

Everything is better than the Last guy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Its a myth that the Xbox is lacking in the "game department" when the difference between the PS4 (1812) library and Xbox(1712) library is 100.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

Nothing he does is good in my eyes unless he makes xbox exclusive traditional exclusives again and stops putting them on PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@ahmedkhan1994 said:

Nothing he does is good in my eyes unless he makes xbox exclusive traditional exclusives again and stops putting them on PC.

Not going to happen and I glad for that particular change. :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Yeah I think that he’s been doing a good job with the Xbox brand. I really like what they’ve done with backwards compatibility and I appreciate the push for crossplay with all platforms. The recent studio acquisitions look very promising. I’m really looking forward to seeing how their unveiling of their next system goes.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ahmedkhan1994
@Pedro said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

If it leads to them releasing their games on PS4 then i might be happy. Because then i can finally convince my friends to abandon this pos.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@ahmedkhan1994 said:
@Pedro said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

If it leads to them releasing their games on PS4 then i might be happy. Because then i can finally convince my friends to abandon this pos.

So you are counter arguing your initial point?

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I think if he was in charge at the start of this gen the Xbox would be in a much better spot but he had such an uphill climb it's been a struggle...seems to be on the right track now with the X1X and buying 1st party studios. The future is bright.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Considering what he was given to work with, yeah. He's doing okay.

What's-his-name before him killed their first party and the brand's reputation, so he's had to rebuild it from scratch basically. It takes time to set up/recruit/contract studios and even more time for them to pump out games. I wouldn't expect much until the end of this gen or the beginning of next, to be honest.

But progress is progress, so you got to hand it to him.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

It's better than the last guy.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

A chimpanzee would have been better than the last guy.

We will know more about Phil's real contributions or otherwise in about 3-4 years.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Seems to be doing the best he can. Not sure what miracles people expect from him, he's not a game dev.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ahmedkhan1994
@Pedro said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:
@Pedro said:
@ahmedkhan1994 said:

So you are counter arguing your initial point?

No what i mean to say is, either stop releasing them on PC or if they really want to release the games on PC do so for PS4 as well. No in between.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

He is doing fine and did a good job turning around that shit show E3 Xbox One introduction. The only thing he needs to do right now is focus on their developers in creating good games again. The last few have been pretty crappy.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I think the chemistry between Satya and Phil is great and will allow Phil to right the ship after The Don.

Just seeing all the new studios coming on board, gamepass keeps getting better with third party support, xbox live features, smart installs, tbd game streaming service, foward thinking with tech(x1x hdmi 2.1 and game vrr mode), peripherals like the adaptive controller assisting with making gaming accessible for all, building new divisions like the cloud gaming division....

Just a lot of good stuff coming from Xbox under Phil.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I don't get how anyone could think he isn't doing a good job tbh (except the usual Sony fannies who don't know sh*t). From where the brand was at the beginning of the gen to where it is now, it's hard to criticize the guy. I think he was what Xbox needed... someone who actually is a gamer running the show.

And the future looks extremely bright.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Lol. Phil the shill. Same ol’ drill make promises to deliver and never will.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I don't get how anyone could think he isn't doing a good job tbh (except the usual Sony fannies who don't know sh*t). From where the brand was at the beginning of the gen to where it is now, it's hard to criticize the guy. I think he was what Xbox needed... someone who actually is a gamer running the show.

And the future looks extremely bright.

LOL. Just when you posted one of the fannies responded right below you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

He's doing a decent job. Not as bad as Don Mattrick, but not as great as Peter Moore.

The biggest problem with him is that he is just too much of a nice guy for this position. He needs more ruthless aggression.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Who can vote against this:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/behold-thegreaseproof-xbox-one-controller/1100-6461584/

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#23 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Aside from the lack of first party games, I would say Phil and the team have done a good job. Xbox Play Anywhere, Xbox Game Pass and the most powerful console are all positives. They just need to focus on the games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think he has made good enough moves to earn a chance at running the brand next gen. It's not fair to judge him completely based on the Xbox one. However, I dont see Xbox recovering quite to the same degree that the PlayStation brand did the second half of last gen. Arguments for and against that could be litigated to eternity, but it seems fairly obvious that the focus is on building up (just?) Enough IP to start gen 9 with a fresh face.

Personally, I'm glad that I ducked the Bone this gen. I dont think that rests completely on his shoulders. If Xbox Two can be good, all is forgiven. My expectation is that most console gamers will wait a year or two to see what really shakes out and I would taper expectation s for Xbox haters to not be made a fool in the process and I would caution Xbox die-hards from putting Xbox Two on a pedestal it can't live up to when there is so much the brand needs to prove.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Whoever was in charge when 360 was around is better than Phil. Not sure who that was, but they had the focus right.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

Who can vote against this:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/behold-thegreaseproof-xbox-one-controller/1100-6461584/

That is just.....

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Pedro: Lol yeah... the usual clowns.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Pedro: I'm wondering if anyone ever actually ruins the insides of their controller with grease

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Not really no. Kinect would have been removed regardless who was calling the shots after initial sales were abysmal. The system still doesn't have a must have exclusive game after 5 years and it looks like it's not going to get one.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

All I know is the Xbone's near future looks pretty predictable and boring - (no new IP's) - almost everything seems to have no character.

• Halo , Gears , and Forza once again
  • Crackdown 3 , uhhh
  • 2D indies
  • Timed multiplats
  • Still lacking Japanese 3rd party support (compared to PS4)
  • No VR / AR

It's going to take some time to improve. Maybe next gen he can get the Xbox OneTwo to not be a laughing stock. Only time will tell.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11090 Posts

Absolutely not. And I have no idea why he keeps climbing the chain at Microsoft. His philosophy seems to be new hardware over games and keeping the Xbox brand in the press without having anything to substantially show for it. Very 'smoke and mirrors' type of exec. His "candid" persona also works against the brand. Sometimes, just shutting up is better than anything.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Absolutely not. And I have no idea why he keeps climbing the chain at Microsoft. His philosophy seems to be new hardware over games and keeping the Xbox brand in the press without having anything to substantially show for it. Very 'smoke and mirrors' type of exec. His "candid" persona also works against the brand. Sometimes, just shutting up is better than anything.

That probably explains why he acquired 5 game studios this year.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

No. He's:

A) Not securing any high quality exclusives for the Xbox brand
B) Negated any reason for PC gamers to buy an Xbox since you can play all Xbox games on PC
C) More concerned about being buddy buddy with the competition than being competitive with his brand

So again, no.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Pedro: Compulsion and Undead Labs make shovelware. So 3 studios that have a chance of making something good and 2 trash studios because they ran out of options.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

@Pedro: Compulsion and Undead Labs make shovelware. So 3 studios that have a chance of making something good and 2 trash studios because they ran out of options.

So, bitch about not investing in games then bitch about investing in games. Gotcha.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@Pedro: Pedro you say that like it’s some big accomplishment and everyone should be thanking Phil over. He literally waited till the last minute to buy these studios.

“These things take time” I see you braindead lems keep barfing this nonsense up. 2018, 5 years after the release of the bone is unacceptable. All the sad xboners will have to wait until next gen to see the fruits of these largely unproven studios. Oh wait, there are no more gens. Xbox is a fucking mess.

While PS4 gets heavy hitter after heavy hitter, lems sit around and hope the next game they get is better than a 6/10.

Absolutely pathetic

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Phil been great at steadying Xbox ship but he doesn't know **** all about making it sail. They need someone with ambition now.

I don't really like Phil, the guy talks alot but got nothing to show for in his 4 years tenure, which is more than enough time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@pdogg93 said:

@Pedro: Pedro you say that like it’s some big accomplishment and everyone should be thanking Phil over. He literally waited till the last minute to buy these studios.

“These things take time” I see you braindead lems keep barfing this nonsense up. 2018, 5 years after the release of the bone is unacceptable. All the sad xboners will have to wait until next gen to see the fruits of these largely unproven studios. Oh wait, there are no more gens. Xbox is a fucking mess.

While PS4 gets heavy hitter after heavy hitter, lems sit around and hope the next game they get is better than a 6/10.

Absolutely pathetic

LOL. Never made any comments about how anyone should think about Phil. The man stated prior to the release of the One X that they are going to focus on the hardware and then focus on the software. They did just that. There is no last minute anything. Gaming isn't going to end at the end of the year. Its an on going business and is independent of "generations".

Ask yourself this simple question, why are people like you more upset with the Xbox than the people that own one?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BenjaminBanklin
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

That probably explains why he acquired 5 game studios this year.

Something he should have done the very second he got promoted to head of Xbox. Not 3 or 4 years later. Also, he acquired 4 studios and created another one. Two of which only had MS as their sole client anyway. Not to mention they dropped a studio this gen as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: I'm wondering if anyone ever actually ruins the insides of their controller with grease

Some people will surprise you.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Something he should have done the very second he got promoted to head of Xbox. Not 3 or 4 years later. Also, he acquired 4 studios and created another one. Two of which only had MS as their sole client anyway. Not to mention they dropped a studio this gen as well.

Don't be mad because I prove your claim to be false. Try not doing that in the future. :)

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BenjaminBanklin
@Pedro said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Don't be mad because I prove your claim to be false. Try not doing that in the future. :)

Why did you even respond?

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Don is a gamer. Phil bigheaded is a Microsoft mouthpiece and a liar. Welcome to games as a service where you don't own shit.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archangel3371

@xantufrog: That controller is just a funny little promotional bit for PUBG because of the whole “Winner, winner. Chicken Dinner” thing and chicken is greasy. They’re only making 200 worldwide for promotional purposes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

No, he is very bad at his job.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I think he is just a face for MS.. nothing more.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Yeah I think that he’s been doing a good job with the Xbox brand. I really like what they’ve done with backwards compatibility and I appreciate the push for crossplay with all platforms. The recent studio acquisitions look very promising. I’m really looking forward to seeing how their unveiling of their next system goes.

but you bought the xbox one under mattrick so you liked him too right?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56102 Posts

For better or worst. If there is one good thing I can say about Phil Spencer is that he made Xbox Play Anywhere & Game Pass possible for PC gaming community possible without buying an Xbox One console. For that, I say he's doing a great job bringing MS exclusive games to PC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Archangel3371

@ProtossRushX: Nope. Didn’t really like Don Mattrick but I liked the games that Microsoft had like Halo, Gears of War, and Forza.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

They have come up with some pretty controllers under Phil Spencer's leadership