Do you really care about wii sales System Wars...?

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts

Lets be serious for a moment... Does any self respecting "gamer" truly care about the Wii's sales? I mean, I'm willing to bet most don't even consider it a part of currant generation console gaming. I gotta be honest, I don't feel tempted in anyway shape or form to even consider buying a wii... It's just not an appealing console to me and it can't deliver the HD gaming experience I want. Grandma's and little girls with pig tails can't convince me otherwise. I know this all sounds like a fanboyistic rant or "damage control" but seriously, congrats and who cares... If I want an experience that rivals the wii I'll go turn on my original Xbox and still have better games.... and graphics.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
Sales = More profit = More games
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
The Wii is a great console. Don't like it? Live with it.
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 colmusterd28

Sales = More profit = More gamesair_wolf_cubed

sales = more profit = more shovelware and an occaisional first party gem... fixed/

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Sales lead to more games.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Honestly if it wasn't for SW I wouldn't even know the Wii existed. That's how much I care.
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
oh gawd.. i'm gonna hide from system wars for a week.. all i'm gonna hear about is the wii..
i'll go play mariokart now.. :|
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 air_wolf_cubed

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]Sales = More profit = More gamescolmusterd28

sales = more profit = more shovelware and an occaisional first party gem... fixed/

oh so everything has to be shovelware now? just cause you say it will be?
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.
NFS102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 NFS102
Member since 2007 • 27011 Posts

I couldn't really give a hoot about sales even if my console was winning. I judge consoles by games, customer service, online comunities and more. In my book, Wii is in last. Don't try to tell me i'm wrong, because there is no wrong opinion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Not really, as long as i get the games i want i dont really care. The Wii has a lot of great games that appeal to me, as long as it does that, im good. I dont really care about its sales, but then again its interesting to see how Nintendo managed to make the Wii such a success. They really made some smart business decisions.
TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

...I know this all sounds like a fanboyistic rant or "damage control"

colmusterd28

Because it is a fanboyistic rant and damage control. Sales, like it or not, are important to gamers simply because more sales means more games, better games.

I think there are a lot of gamers that enjoy the Wii and play it often, even the self-respecting gamers.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26111 Posts
I don't care much for the sales, since I already got one.
colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]Sales = More profit = More gamesair_wolf_cubed

everything pretty much already is shovelware because nintendo said it will be... I was commenting on "more profit more games" when everyone who follows this industry knows that nintendo has an aweful 3rd party resume mixed with laughable shovelware and they survive by franchises I used to play 25 years ago... nothings changed. Its why I was in line day one for a gamecube, N64, Snes and NES but refuse to go through the letdown with a wii. No silly arm movements are going to change that.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
Apparently you do since you made a thread about them.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Lets be serious for a moment... Does any self respecting "gamer" truly care about the Wii's sales? I mean, I'm willing to bet most don't even consider it a part of currant generation console gaming. I gotta be honest, I don't feel tempted in anyway shape or form to even consider buying a wii... It's just not an appealing console to me and it can't deliver the HD gaming experience I want. Grandma's and little girls with pig tails can't convince me otherwise. I know this all sounds like a fanboyistic rant or "damage control" but seriously, congrats and who cares... If I want an experience that rivals the wii I'll go turn on my original Xbox and still have better games.... and graphics.

colmusterd28

People cared about it last gen when it was the Gamecube and was in last place. Now that is winning the System wars, people aren't suppose to care? :roll:

Anyways, the Wii is in it to win it. So yes, people care about the Wii and how well it's selling. Deal with it.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

TDLlama

Because it is a fanboyistic rant and damage control. Sales, like it or not, are important to gamers simply because more sales means more games, better games.

I think there are a lot of gamers that enjoy the Wii and play it often, even the self-respecting gamers.

well then congrats... enjoy your sales and I'll enjoy the games...

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.-RPGamer-

I'm going with this.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 air_wolf_cubed
[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]Sales = More profit = More gamescolmusterd28

everything pretty much already is shovelware because nintendo said it will be... I was commenting on "more profit more games" when everyone who follows this industry knows that nintendo has an aweful 3rd party resume mixed with laughable shovelware and they survive by franchises I used to play 25 years ago... nothings changed. Its why I was in line day one for a gamecube, N64, Snes and NES but refuse to go through the letdown with a wii. No silly arm movements are going to change that.

Believe it or not there are great 3rd party games on the Wii. And believe it or not no one has to buy the shovelware
CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

wii sales = good for Nintendo and Nintendo only!

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts
Not so much... I just want more support.
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts
why are you so upset that you're losing?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

colmusterd28

Pretty much agree with you but i own a Wii because of the big Nintendo classic: Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc.

Wish Nintendo had faced same fate as Sega, had been fun to play Nintendo games for Playstation and xbox in HD :D

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.Ragnarok1051

I'm going with this.

I thought for sure the first response would be some overly supportive Wii fan telling me I'm wrong. :P

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.-RPGamer-

I'm going with this.

I thought for sure the first response would be some overly supportive Wii fan telling me I'm wrong. :P

I've always thought that the sales would not lead to more games as usual for the Wii as well.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

aroxx_ab

Pretty much agree with you but i own a Wii because of the big Nintendo classic: Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc.

Wish Nintendo had faced same fate as Sega, had been fun to play Nintendo games for Playstation and xbox in HD :D

I couldn't agree more... They survive off 1st party games and somehow have convinced millions that this is "next gen" gaming... I don't get it. Zelda360 would be sweet no doubt but we can kiss that goodbye thanks to the wii...

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts
I care about games. The Wii also has games that interest me, so I bought one:D
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vicmackey39

I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.-RPGamer-

and?

I don't think that the Saturn, or Dreamcast got the numbers they deserve. I don't think that the PSP deserves the numbers it's getting. What you think is meaningless because (believe it or not) there are more people than you in this world each with different tastes.

and you're insane to think that the Wii wont get much support this gen. Every other successul console in history has had great support and the wii's handheld equivelant (the DS) has the best third party support on the planet right now

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Snowboarder99

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.vicmackey39

and?

I don't think that the Saturn, or Dreamcast got the numbers they deserve. I don't think that the PSP deserves the numbers it's getting. What you think is meaningless because (believe it or not) there are more people than you in this world each with different tastes.

and you're insane to think that the Wii wont get much support this gen. Every other successul console in history has had great support and the wii's handheld equivelant (the DS) has the best third party support on the planet right now

Well, it does seem like the 360 and the PS3 get better support

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

The real question is:

Do you care about System Wars? For most people, that's no.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts
[QUOTE="TDLlama"][QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

colmusterd28

well then congrats... enjoy your sales and I'll enjoy the games...

Well thanks, but I'm already enjoying the games and with the Wii selling like it is, I'm sure I'll be playing Wii games for quite some time. I'm sure the 360 will do just fine even if it ends up last.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 colmusterd28

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]I care in that I don't think it really deserves those numbers. I also don't think that sales equating to more games is going to apply the same way it has over previous generations. The Wii breaks the mold on standard evolution, and it's support shows this.vicmackey39

and?

but his opinion does matter more because he identifies himself as a close follower of this hobby and is educated in what game consoles do what. Your claiming victory over his opinion because an elderly shelter bought 15 wiis for the residents and little Amanda Hugginkiss with a pretty pink bow in her hair is playing "dancing with the stars."

I take RPGamers opinion over the common wii owner anyday based on the fact that he has love for the hobby not because he'll get an extra 6 months out of his back by playing wiibowling...

publisacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 publisacman
Member since 2005 • 693 Posts

I couldn't really give a hoot about sales even if my console was winning. I judge consoles by games, customer service, online comunities and more. In my book, Wii is in last. Don't try to tell me i'm wrong, because there is no wrong opinion.

NFS102
in my book the ps3 is last in sales! in wait a minute it actually is last!
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vicmackey39

Snowboarder99

That's because they do, and i don't expect that top change because games are increasingly becoming multiplatform this gen

but the Wii will get some amazing third party exclusives this gen

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -RPGamer-

and?

I clearly stated "I think", in which I was pointing out my opinion on the subject. I never stated my opinion trumped what others think did I? No. What I think is not "meaningless", it has meaning and value if to no one else than to myself (albeit apparently I don't stand alone). To claim my opinion is meaningless than so are the opinions of all others that you pointed out with different tastes. If opinions were meaningless than there would be no need for them, and yet opinions are a staple of human civilization, so please refrain from attempting to belittle me on the subject of my opinion. If you don't like it that's fine, however, that doesn't in turn make it meaningless.

I didn't say the Wii wouldn't get support did I? I clearly said that I don't think it'll get the same support the way past generations have. Note the specific reference to past generations, I didn't say it wouldn't get support, it already is so that claim would be false already. The Wii doesn't fit the historical model you reference, the Wii opted not to follow the normal path and as I said it's support shows the difference.

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 colmusterd28

The real question is:

Do you care about System Wars? For most people, that's no.

thrones

Thrones, my friend, that is a thread all to its own...

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Snowboarder99
[QUOTE="Snowboarder99"]

vicmackey39

That's because they do, and i don't expect that top change because games are increasingly becoming multiplatform this gen

but the Wii will get some amazing third party exclusives this gen

I'll agree with that.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vicmackey39

but his opinion does matter more because he identifies himself as a close follower of this hobby and is educated in what game consoles do what. Your claiming victory over his opinion because an elderly shelter bought 15 wiis for the residents and little Amanda Hugginkiss with a pretty pink bow in her hair is playing "dancing with the stars."

colmusterd28

and my opinion doesn't matter? what about the many Nintendo fans who were gaming while you were in diapers?

You think elderly people bought 2.7 million copies of brawl? You think they bought over a million copies of Metroid Prime 3 or RE4?

I'm not claiming victory for anybody because I don't give a crap who wins this gen. You care because your "clsoe personal friends" at Microsoft got outsold over 3 to 1 in their strongest territory this month. It's making you very upset because you have feelings for a company that makes operating systems

I take RPGamers opinion over the common wii owner anyday based on the fact that he has love for the hobby not because he'll get an extra 6 months out of his back by playing wiibowling...

colmusterd28

I take my own opinion over other that of other people because I have my own brain and I can reach conclusions on my own

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 colmusterd28
[QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

vicmackey39

and my opinion doesn't matter? what about the many Nintendo fans who were gaming while you were in diapers?

You think elderly people bought 2.7 million copies of brawl? You think they bought over a million copies of Metroid Prime 3 or RE4?

I'm not claiming victory for anybody because I don't give a crap who wins this gen. You care because your "clsoe personal friends" at Microsoft got outsold over 3 to 1 in their strongest territory this month. It's making you very upset because you have feelings for a company that makes operating systems

colmusterd28

I take my own opinion over other that of other people because I have my own brain and I can reach conclusions on my own

I'm 29, how old are you?

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

whats funny is sales have only been half of determining the winning console in system wars

the other was exclusive AA/AAA games... (which the wii still keeps a decent footing against the competition.. scary eh?)

now whats funny is the wii has shifted systemwars to no longer crediting sales... which means you only have review scores to go by.. and system wars/gamespot is just Oh So Credible with their review scores right now

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts

This is why I care and am frustrated:

There are endless posts everywhere about certain 360/PS3 games not quite being in "true HD". "oo it's only 680p, not nextgen".

Yet the Wii gets away with crappy standard definition and noone raises an eyelid.

360/PS3/PC games are never stopping in their competition, scrutinising the tiniest little details of textures, AA, lighting etc. People complaing that something particular isn't quite up to scratch on one version of some multiplat game.

Yet the Wii gets away with 6 year old visuals and noone raises and eyelid.

I can buy a 360 for less than a Wii.

Yet the Wii gets away with ancient hardware, no harddrive, no DVD player and noone raises an eyelid.

And of course in the end, people who make judgements like I have just done are simply labeled as "graphics whores" and "narrow minded" while the Wii cruises past 25 Million units sold.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="vicmackey39"][QUOTE="colmusterd28"]

colmusterd28

colmusterd28

I'm 29, how old are you?

Since I'm referenced in this I want to make it very clear I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I just don't view them through rose-tinted glasses.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vicmackey39

I clearly stated "I think", in which I was pointing out my opinion on the subject. I never stated my opinion trumped what others think did I? No. What I think is not "meaningless", it has meaning and value if to no one else than to myself (albeit apparently I don't stand alone). To claim my opinion is meaningless than so are the opinions of all others that you pointed out with different tastes. If opinions were meaningless than there would be no need for them, and yet opinions are a staple of human civilization, so please refrain from attempting to belittle me on the subject of my opinion. If you don't like it that's fine, however, that doesn't in turn make it meaningless.

-RPGamer-

Sorry, I just got a bt pissed off. There's a mentality that is prevalent amongst enthusiasts. They think that the should be the ones who dictate whether a console does well or fails, when that's never been the case.

In the case of the Wii I agree that it does not really deserve its success. But I understand why it is a success and I'm sure you do too. I am also glad it is a success. It offers a genuinely different experience to its competition and it's got (and always will have) a more diverse range of software.

I didn't say the Wii wouldn't get support did I? I clearly said that I don't think it'll get the same support the way past generations have. Note the specific reference to past generations, I didn't say it wouldn't get support, it already is so that claim would be false already. The Wii doesn't fit the historical model you reference, the Wii opted not to follow the normal path and as I said it's support shows the difference.

-RPGamer-

I agree with you that the Wii won't follow the traditional model this gen but I think that it's largely because of the economics of multiplatform development. It's no secret that HD games are incredibly expensive but the fact that that the PS3/PC/360 are so similar means that developers can still pursue HD gaming as a viable strategy.

I would also add that the VAST majority of quality console exclusive games will be on the Wii this gen. The low dev costs and ridiculous install base make it by far the best prospect for devs looking to make an exclusive console game this gen. It'll be like the DS in the sense that almost every great title for the system will be exclusive

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

vicmackey39

Sorry, I just got a bt pissed off. There's a mentality that is prevalent amongst enthusiasts. They think that the should be the ones who dictate whether a console does well or fails, when that's never been the case.

In the case of the Wii I agree that it does not really deserve its success. But I understand why it is a success and I'm sure you do too. I am also glad it is a success. It offers a genuinely different experience to its competition and it's got (and always will have) a more diverse range of software.

-RPGamer-

I agree with you that the Wii won't follow the traditional model this gen but I think that it's largely because of the economics of multiplatform development. It's no secret that HD games are incredibly expensive but the fact that that the PS3/PC/360 are so similar means that developers can still pursue HD gaming as a viable strategy.

I would also add that the VASTmajority of quality console exclusive games will be on the Wii this gen. The low dev costs and ridiculous install base make it by far the best prospect for devs looking to make an exclusive console game this gen. It'll be like the DS in the sense that almost every great title for the system will be exclusive

It's alright no biggy. Yeah, I understand why it is the way it is. I remember going to the Fusion Tour and watching some 50-60yr old Mom "pwn" some teenager in Wiiboxing and that's when it kind of settled in for me.

As for the "vast majority" I think a good part of that majority will come from Nintendo themselves (which is relatively redundant to include them as an "exclusive" to themselves, but I regress). The Wii may get the majority of support, but like you were saying it'll be by default (kind of like the DS). I don't think that this support will be of the same "pedigree" that the other systems get (not just talking graphics here, this is more a reference of IP and resources).

And I want to add that imo from the Wii perspective those multiplatform titles are relatively exclusive (relatively exclusive is the key word in that). Sure you can play on multiple systems... but you can't play them on the Wii (this is one of the breaks in the historical mold, where the highest seller was often the lowest common denominator for multiplatform titles, PS2 is a good example of this).

mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts

The Wii may get the majority of support, but like you were saying it'll be by default (kind of like the DS). I don't think that this support will be of the same "pedigree" that the other systems get (not just talking graphics here, this is more a reference of IP and resources).

-RPGamer-

I agree with this. I can't see the quality of 3rd party games shooting up any time soon to be honest, for that reason.

It'll be development out of obligation rather than an inpired desire.

vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vicmackey39
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

The Wii may get the majority of support, but like you were saying it'll be by default (kind of like the DS). I don't think that this support will be of the same "pedigree" that the other systems get (not just talking graphics here, this is more a reference of IP and resources).

mmogoon

I agree with this. I can't see the quality of 3rd party games shooting up any time soon to be honest, for that reason.

It'll be development out of obligation rather than an inpired desire.

i agree with both of you for the most part

but like the DS i think that a small minority of companies will go above and beyond, and it is these companies that will reap the rewards

TheRealMC01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheRealMC01
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts
not really. the Wii is a toy. It shouldn't be considered any more of a console than the V-smile is.