Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@bowserjr123 said:

Don't own one and not planning to, and this is coming from a Nintendo fan. Nintendo really dropped the ball this time...lackluster first party games, no third party support, inferior hardware, and a gimmicky tablet controller add up to a horrible console in my book. With that said, Switch looks infinitely better so far.

Lackluster first party is one thing that the Wii U doesn't have.

@princeofshapeir said:

sold it. worst console i've ever owned.

What happened? I remember you being hyped for Smash 4 and then you ended up hating it or something, right? Did no other game intrigue you? Just curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#52 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I own one, I don't particularly like it. Smash, Kart, and Splatoon were ace, though.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#53  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

@PikminWorld said:
@bowserjr123 said:

Don't own one and not planning to, and this is coming from a Nintendo fan. Nintendo really dropped the ball this time...lackluster first party games, no third party support, inferior hardware, and a gimmicky tablet controller add up to a horrible console in my book. With that said, Switch looks infinitely better so far.

@princeofshapeir said:

What happened? I remember you being hyped for Smash 4 and then you ended up hating it or something, right? Did no other game intrigue you? Just curious.

I disagree, the Wii U lacks a Metroid, F-Zero, its own Zelda game, Fire Emblem, a good Mario RPG, Animal Crossing, and a good Star Fox. Definitely subpar for a Nintendo system. Also, Super Mario 3D World felt too much like the 2D Mario games and was easily the worst out of the 3D games. While Mario Kart 8 is a solid game, it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it still hasn't fixed its battle mode yet. I haven't tried out Xenoblade Chonicles X and Bayonetta 2 but they look like solid games. Smash 4 is good too, but these titles alone don't make the console worth a purchase, especially if they get ported over to the Switch.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@bowserjr123: But its got,

• Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Splatoon
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Zelda Twilight Princess HD
  • Zelda Wind Waker HD
  • Pikmin 3
  • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • New Super Luigi
  • Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • NES Remix Pack
  • Paper Mario Color Splash
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

Then good third party games like,

• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Minecraft Wii U Edition
  • Pokken Tournament
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Yoshi Woolly World
  • Shovel Knight
  • Rayman Legends
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions

• Pushmo World
  • Deus Ex
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Tekken Tag
  • Assassins Creed Black Flag
  • Need for Speed Underground
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Darksiders II
  • Child of Light
  • Severed
  • Steamworld Dig
  • Art Academy

Thats a lot of good games to miss out on. Plus its getting a new Zelda too.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By bowserjr123

@iandizion713: I commented on several of the first party games, but like I said, you mentioning Zelda WW/TP HD shows that it doesn't have a unique Zelda game. Breath of the Wild is coming to Switch so I'd rather get that version. New Super Mario Brothers once again doesn't bring anything new to the table, Paper Mario Color Splash brings back Sticker Star's mechanics, Captain Toad/Kirby look okay but nothing special, but I did forget about Pikmin 3 which looks good. Besides Splatoon, most of these games were played too safe (Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, DK Tropical Freeze, New Super Mario Brothers to name a few).

For that third party list, a lot of those games are technically not third party like Star Fox, Pokken Tournament, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Wooly World, and the Wonderful 101 since they were funded by Nintendo and some use their IPs. Most of the other games are ports of PS3/Xbox 360 games which came out in the first year of release and can easily be purchased elsewhere in a better version.

Sure, you can argue that there are more quality exclusives for it than PS4/Xbox One, but this is still disappointing for Nintendo standards. GameCube and SNES had way better first and third party support, I still buy games for those systems and it just goes to show how much better they are.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: I liked Gamecube 1st party, but i like Wii U's more. Hopefully Switch will get a bunch of the Wii U games, as they are some of the best Nintendo has ever made.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By bowserjr123

@iandizion713: How so? The GameCube had F-Zero GX, 2 Metroid Prime games, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, Fire Emblem, 2 Pikmin games, 2 Zelda games that were new for the time, Eternal Darkness, 2 Star Fox games, a good Mario Tennis, 2 console Pokemon games, Battalion Wars, 4 Mario Party games, and Animal Crossing. I don't see how this first party lineup can be beaten, especially since most of these games are arguably better than their Wii U counterparts.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: Cause i like the Wii U ones better. I like Smash Bros Wii U more than Melee. Mario Kart 8 more than Double Dash. Xenoblade more than Fire Emblem. Pikmin 3 more than other Pikmins. Super Mario 3D World more than Sunshine. Star Fox Zero more than Adventures. Mario Party 10 more than others.

Than i like other Wii U games more than the others. Paper Mario and Metroid stand out, but than Wii U has Splatoon and Mario Maker who come close.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By bowserjr123

@iandizion713: Fair enough, I guess we'll agree to disagree then since my opinion is pretty much the opposite. I do agree that I would like to see a handful of the games on the Switch.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: As always. But you should really try the games out, then i feel youd feel different. Maybe Switch will give you chance since youve missed so many years would be hard to catch up.

Also that Donkey Kong on Wii U is best platformer i have ever played in my life. Shat is that good. Id buy a Wii U just for that game alone.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By bowserjr123

@iandizion713: I've already tried some of the games out since my friends have a Wii U. Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2, and Smash 4 are the only ones I'd really want to get but I don't find much else to be a must buy.

I played DKC Returns and I was pretty disappointed by it, I really miss the Kremlings and King K. Rool and the level design wasn't as good as DKC 2. I also didn't like that you can't switch between the Kongs, that was a great mechanic that they should have kept. They also took out all of the animal buddies besides Rambi. I haven't tried out Tropical Freeze yet to comment on it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: You should, as its best platformer i have ever played in my life. I cant stop playing Wii U, its games are just too good. I have never played a system so much due the Nintendo continuing to update the games.

I just beat Captain Toad and it is damn near a masterpiece. Its why i cant wait for Switch, i want the good times to keep rollin. And i havnt even started on my 3DS games, holy shat, so many good games im buried between the two systems. And i game on PC, its heaven.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 bowserjr123

@iandizion713: DKC 2, Super Mario World, Castlevania SotN, and Super Mario 64 are my favorites so they'd be really hard to top. I'm hoping the games I mentioned earlier get ported to Switch and that it turns out to be better than Wii U, which I'm sure it will be. That's the first time I've heard someone say that Captain Toad is a masterpiece.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: Im surprised, many love Captain Toad to death, im late to the party. I dont think ive met someone whos played Captain Toad and didnt enjoy it like crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I really like mine, It certainly lack in games, but ooh man the games it has are incredible.

It has seen A LOT more use then my PS4 (Dragon Quest Builders, is somewhat changing that).

But yeah the Wii U? It has some of my personal favorites of the generation.

I do believe it has something to do with PC being my main platform.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#66 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

I sold mine a long time ago, and I have no regrets for doing so.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bowserjr123

@iandizion713: Cool, I consider Smash Bros. Melee, Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, and Metroid Prime to all be masterpieces.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By iandizion713

@bowserjr123: Just Melee for me.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@PikminWorld said:
@bowserjr123 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

i would say there are only about 5-6 must play first party games on it. the rest is either passable or straight up garbage

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

I have one. I still don't like Nintendo's first party games, I got it for Bayonetta 2 and hoped I'd like other games. So far it's been disappointing.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#71  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

i've got one, and it's not great, but it does have some great games. The Wii blows it away though, it can't compete with that library. Mine gets used mostly for Wii games nowadays.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56445 Posts

Wii U is okay for the most parts but my daughter loves it more so.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

Haven't bought one. But it seems I might get one at the end of November as I didn't bring my PS4 with me to where my new Job is.I might buy the Wii U to play Zelda and the new Mario games which will justify the purchase of it.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Well, it's been gathering dust for a while now. I've played most of the greats it has (Bayonetta 1-2, SSB, SM3DW, Xenoblade Chronicles X, MK8, Zelda WW) still missing Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly world and Donkey Kong. I've just been too busy with the PS4 and Xbone. Let's see if the Switch can replace it.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I own it, not like or hate it, not played since i got Xenoblade chronicles X which i never cared to finish. It just sit there under the TV collecting dust.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority for liking the system. It's easely above the xOne and almost on par with the PS4 when i comes to library. Nintendoland is the best local mp experience I had since Singstar, some games like Mk8 are amongst the best of its series, some other titles like Tokyo Mirrage Session are superb as well. It's a very nice addition to a good rig

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#77  Edited By Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

It's the best local multiplayer system currently. Had a blast with my gf with Super Mario 3D world, Mario Kart 8, and Smash.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 iandizion713

@Pittfan666: Yall should try Yoshi Woolly World. Its pretty sweet coop.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1084 Posts

The Wii U overall is ok. I only purchased it for first party games and that's it.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#80  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@PikminWorld said:
@princeofshapeir said:

smash 4 was meh and xenoblade chronicles x didn't interest me enough.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#81 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I like the Wii U quite alot.

I find the "It's only good for first party" statement pretty exaggerated in all honesty. It obviously failed in terms of western AAA support and missed out of some big-sellers, there was probably a couple or so worthwhile games on that front though, an it did get a few gems in terms of Japanese support though, and the Wii U wasn't lacking in terms of indie support. All of this combined with the great first party support and I had no issues building a great library for the thing.

Makes me wonder how many people that complain about the Wii U's output have ever actually checked the eShop.

Papermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Papermario
Member since 2016 • 245 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I love the Wii U a lot and still play it.

• Pikmin 3 is the strongest Pikmin game in the series
  • Super Mario 3D World is definitely the best 3D platformer I've ever played
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze matches the quality of the greatest 2D platformer ever created (DKCR)
  • Bayonetta 2 is among the strongest Hack n Slash games money can buy

I've put a lot of hours in those games. There's still a ton to do in all of them.

Wind Waker HD, Mario Maker, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Wonderful 101, and Smash Bros. are all excellent as well.

wow u only named like 4 games sad..

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17699 Posts

Own it pretty much exclusively for Pikmin 3. Love that game.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I own one. My most-played game on it is probably Splatoon; I think it's worth owning just for that game, honestly. But there are a few others that I really enjoy as well (Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Wind Waker HD are all great).

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By iandizion713

@papermario said:
@Pikminmaniac said:

I love the Wii U a lot and still play it.

• Pikmin 3 is the strongest Pikmin game in the series
  • Super Mario 3D World is definitely the best 3D platformer I've ever played
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze matches the quality of the greatest 2D platformer ever created (DKCR)
  • Bayonetta 2 is among the strongest Hack n Slash games money can buy

I've put a lot of hours in those games. There's still a ton to do in all of them.

Wind Waker HD, Mario Maker, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Wonderful 101, and Smash Bros. are all excellent as well.

wow u only named like 4 games sad..

They named 9.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

I love my Wii U. No matter what anyone says, its library is quite nice with some true gems.
Plus, I still play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon a lot, which both have smooth as butter online.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Still have my day 1 Wii U. Love it. Yeah it's had some droughts, and it's my least played Nintendo console ever, but Mario Maker alone is worth the price of admission.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@raugutcon said:

I don't own one yet, will get one in a few months, it's got enough games I would like to play to justify the purchase.

Ditto. Waiting on a price drop. Still.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

_es

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

$99.99 Zelda Bundaru this holiday and I'll bite. :P

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

@papermario: like someone else said, I named 9.

Also the 4 I talked about in greater detail are on a level very few games have reached this gen. On the ps4, I'd say 2 games have reached that hight so far.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

You do understand that there are wii u emulators right that do up to 4k and even VR for free right ???

Yeah, you can steal all kinds of stuff for free right now.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@m_machine024 said:

I don't have W101, Bayo2 and Mario Maker yet.

I'd say correct all these as they're all cool games, but definitely don't skip Bayo 2. I think it's one of the few games this gen that is an absolute must play.

lol alright! Will probably be my next WiiU game.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23734 Posts

@m_machine024:

Yeah, you won't regret it bro, especially if you like 3d beat em ups. It's my 2nd favorite game in the genre, just slightly behind Ninja Gaiden Black.

Hope you have a pro controller though, trying to play it on the gamepad kinda felt like crap. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

My favourite console... mainly because its the only one with unique games in comparison to PC.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I own one. I got excited for Mario 3D World reviews, and expected Xeno and Zelda to back that up + a few other 1st party games.

3D World and Xeno were very good but not great, Zelda still ain't here, the rest of the 1st party was mostly rehashes, ports, ass-backwards, gimmicky, or mediocre/poor in quality. Bayo 2 was a fantastic treat though.

Just a weird system with no identity (Nintendo themselves never bothered using the tablet for much, why?), weak, drought filled, backwards.

Even the Wii, which had it's share of serious problems and droughts, was a vastly stronger system with at least a real identity.

They should port/make DL versions of the WiiU's handful of quality games for NX, and forget the thing ever existed. Worst console Nintendo ever made.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Overall a tad disappointed...wish it had sold better so it had more support/games. :P

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
@WitIsWisdom said:

The Wii U is worth the admission for Super Mario Maker alone. Easily a top 10 GOAT for me.

This is why Nintendo is circling the drain: its fanbase not only approves of but actually applauds mediocrity. You should be pissed that Nintendo only gave you 4 years and a smattering of merely decent games.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I like my wii u.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#100  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9616 Posts

@skektek said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

The Wii U is worth the admission for Super Mario Maker alone. Easily a top 10 GOAT for me.

This is why Nintendo is circling the drain: its fanbase not only approves of but actually applauds mediocrity. You should be pissed that Nintendo only gave you 4 years and a smattering of merely decent games.

Care to point out to me where I applaud mediocrity? Super Mario Maker is a brilliant game that encompasses everything that is Mario. From the earliest days-present, with developer, high rated community, and community random built levels that are playable across 4 games, with near infinite replay value since their are millions of levels to play.

It was the first Mario game to go back and touch on the SMB3 and SMW games since their own respective launches. I never once said that I was thrilled with what Nintendo offered as an overall product. Just merely saying that SMM is the best game that has released this generation. SMM DOES have room for improvement in a few areas, but if there is ever a SMM2... I would be MORE than thrilled. Easily my top game of the past SEVERAL years and couple generations of gaming, and there have been some great games.

As far as 4 years, well that isn't all that short of a time period in my own opinion, and the WiiU wasn't selling well. Why wouldn't Nintendo take a shot when they saw an opening. They are a business and have to make money like anyone else. If you disapprove, well... that's good on you, but the money I spend on the consoles and games I buy is my own personal preference.

Nintendo is not and has not been "circling the drain", that would imply financial hardship in my opinion, and that hasn't really been a factor at all in many years. I am a fan of every one of the big three while also owning an Ouya, Shield, and just about every other console you can think about over the years. I was going to get Nintendo's console regardless of what it was, but I must say that if you think I am thrilled with the WiiU then you haven't followed any of my posts.

The WiiU for the most part has been abysmal... but that's mostly due to having such a small library of great games. Still though.. that doesn't take away from the games that are truly brilliant, and Super Mario Maker is certainly in that boat. Trying to place me in the "Nintendo fan base" (as if I'm some rabid, foaming at the mouth defender of all things Nintendo) is like placing a drop of water in a lake, I am a fan of the gaming industry in general and support the things that deserve support. SMM is a grand example of that. This isn't about whether I approve of corporate policies, the console itself, or many of the decisions made... it's about a single game, that you can't play on any other console.