Do you care if you technically don't own a game?

• 76 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I'll be honest, when I buy a game on GoG, I do take great satisfaction knowing that I can actually put that installer on a USB stick or external hard drive or what have you and essentially "own" it.

But no, I don't really care if I don't "own" a game. Most gamers don't really revisit practically all their games, ever (there are exceptions of course for favorites), and honestly the only thing we lose out on with digital is resale, and frankly that's not a big enough of a deal to get upset about. The advantages of digital far far far outweigh the negatives.

My only fear is that when the dust settles from the "store wars"--that is, every publisher having their own digital storefront, and withholding games from other ones--there will just be too much going on and instead of a handful of really successful marketplaces that have rock-solid foundations and excellent service, we instead get dozens of shaky stores and poor service. If GoG and Steam were the only digital storefronts that existed for the rest of my life, I'd be OK with that.

But no no no, everyone wants a piece of that pie. So now we have EA Origin. And Ubisoft's UPlay. And Epic Game Store. And whatever Ubisoft has. Wonder when 2K will do their thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@DocSanchez:

It absolutely is a grey area in many cases. I had bought Peggle HD on my ipad way back in 2013. In 2016 i picked up a new ipad. I was able to download it to that ipad. I deleted it, and then when i went back to redownload it, it wasnt available on itunes any longer.

I remember when everyone was complaining about nintendos way of selling download titles on the wii. The benefit of those non account based sales is you are buying X game for X console. There have been instances where peoples consoles have died and nintendo honored those sales. Of course they are doubling down on this method by now saying "for 3ds" or "for wiiu".

On the other side with Sony you have psn. There is a reason you arent seeing the plethora of psx games on ps4, as was available on ps3. This is because the psn account remains constant. Sony would not legally be allowed to charge you for a license which was already purchased on ps3, on the same account.

Lastly, there are sites, i believe, which allow full control over a digital sale. High res audio sites i believe allow you to burn these files to disc, so ultimately it would be up to the consumer as to how long their ownership was. Heck you buy a music cd back in the day and lose it, you gotta buy a new copy.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

No, but kinda. I've always found it fun to pull the shrink wrap off a new title and play.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'll be honest, when I buy a game on GoG, I do take great satisfaction knowing that I can actually put that installer on a USB stick or external hard drive or what have you and essentially "own" it.

But no, I don't really care if I don't "own" a game. Most gamers don't really revisit practically all their games, ever (there are exceptions of course for favorites), and honestly the only thing we lose out on with digital is resale, and frankly that's not a big enough of a deal to get upset about. The advantages of digital far far far outweigh the negatives.

My only fear is that when the dust settles from the "store wars"--that is, every publisher having their own digital storefront, and withholding games from other ones--there will just be too much going on and instead of a handful of really successful marketplaces that have rock-solid foundations and excellent service, we instead get dozens of shaky stores and poor service. If GoG and Steam were the only digital storefronts that existed for the rest of my life, I'd be OK with that.

But no no no, everyone wants a piece of that pie. So now we have EA Origin. And Ubisoft's UPlay. And Epic Game Store. And whatever Ubisoft has. Wonder when 2K will do their thing.

Hear, hear!

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Nowadays I usually finish a game only once and then move on to something else. So I don't really care.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#56  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I do. Stores have been telling me for years they were selling me games, not licenses to games. So I treat it as such. If a company wants to enforce that it is merely a license and screw me over some way, I'll get angry.

Nowadays I buy from GOG if I can, because you get the files to do with as you please, so companies cannot do as much to you.

I also believe that any limitations placed on consumer freedom/rights with a game, should come with severely lower prices.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

When a digital game is discontinued, it remains in the library of the owner and they can continue to download it at any time.

I think I have a few on the Xbox 360 and steam.

The agreement between stream and the publisher on whether they can continue to sell the product, is separate from the agreement between steam and the consumer on the consumers right to own a license to use that product.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@heirren: Sometimes digital content will continue to be available to you through your download history.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Streaming lol, oh god it makes me laugh every time I hear it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet:

Its listed, but just greyed out. Not available.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

What I hate more is I have the game but my console is broken and part replacement cost higher than getting a backwards compatible console.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

I would always like to be able to own a game on an individual basis without having to continuously pay into a subscription model. Streaming and rentals are fine, but for those that like to keep a library of their favorite games, that needs to always be an option without having to give up hundreds of dollars over multiple services and never owning what you play.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Not at all. I am lucky to find some time to play a game, never mind going back and playing it a second time.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

if i pay for a game i expect to own the game.

not sure how stadia will work in that regard. with the frequency that google shuts big projects down, because beyond search, maps and chrome they're just not that good at making stuff themselves, who on earth is going to trust them with a game library they've paid full price for, knowing soon as they get bored with stadia or they make a mess of it your library might vanish into the ether

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I care, but considering its been a while since I bought a physical game, I suppose I wouldn't cry if we enter the era of digital only...

As far as I'm concern, I still own a game if I pay for it...

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Physical all the way...

Digital when it won't cost me more than a dime!!!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

@Macutchi said:

not sure how stadia will work in that regard. with the frequency that google shuts big projects down, because beyond search, maps and chrome they're just not that good at making stuff themselves, who on earth is going to trust them with a game library they've paid full price for, knowing soon as they get bored with stadia or they make a mess of it your library might vanish into the ether

I think that's the thing, though, you're not creating a library, you're getting a membership to one.

So instead of buying your own books, for example, and building a nice collection of novels and then suddenly losing it in a fire, you're instead going to a place and for a cheap monthly price accessing their books. If their library burns down, it's no real loss to you outside of the fact you just need to find another library.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

It's the same either way. You can lose a physical game or a digital game. As long as I have access then it's all good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I don't get people's fascination with owning games everyone ends up selling them all anyway when you get a new machine. People paying thousands a year to fill house with old gaming shit the way I spend dollars on Steam games we all won't ever play. I'd love retro collecting if it wasn't so pointless

As for this gen, most aren't even on the disc in first place and the irrational fear of losing something forever is kind of whack, most the best games are resold many times over. Maybe gaps in time you couldn't buy SMB1 or SotN, but you don't need permanent access to everything, yet with archival efforts you literally can. So if you want to keep every game so you can play the shitty ones whenever, be my guest, cause they'll just resell them and I"ll play them again.

As for me, I rather pay $15 a month, than buy Ubisoft games 1 at a time. If I do EA's $5 i get all the new shit in a year although I do that service off and on. And Ultimate Game Pass is best deal in gaming and is the future of all gaming, and crybabies fighting it and cloud. All of that for $35 a month, unless I waited 2 years for new games to get old, $40 a month ain't gonna get me shit.

Only games I feel worth collecting are PS1-PS2 and Xbox/360. Yet, majority of the best stuff is remastered on new machines, and can get rid of as I buy them digitally.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Macutchi said:

I think that's the thing, though, you're not creating a library, you're getting a membership to one.

So instead of buying your own books, for example, and building a nice collection of novels and then suddenly losing it in a fire, you're instead going to a place and for a cheap monthly price accessing their books. If their library burns down, it's no real loss to you outside of the fact you just need to find another library.

you're required to pay full price for games with stadia though.

so you're paying a membership fee, which is probably for the privilege of 4k gaming hardware and streaming capabilities, then you have to buy games on top of that. at least that's my understanding. the thing i'm unclear on is what happens if i've paid full price for a game but stop my membership.

i'm in a kind of similar situation with audible i guess. i have 50+ audio books that i play through their app. if i stopped my membership i'd still get to play my books through the app. but if they were to go bust, hypothetically, then i'd likely lose my books. i could download all of them and try and circumvent the drm but not sure how much success i'd have. difference with stadia obviously is you don't get to download games, it's all streamed

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Yes, i like to have a Collection.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Yes if I own it I can do whatever Iwant with it..

If I don't well then I can't... and sometimes I want to do all kinds of things that a digital license won't allow me to do, some as simple as replaying the game X years later only to find that the digital download service

has been cancelled or theres no distribution or whatever and all kiinds of stuff like that.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Yes.

Having to keep paying for a subscription to keep access to games you got through that subscription, I don't want that.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

@robbie23 said:

I miss the days when physical games came with instruction manuals. The manuals were pretty cool to read, but would always end up getting lost or destroyed, haha.

Yeah I have a bunch of old manuals myself.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

Honestly I don’t really care, most games I beat once and I have moved on to something else.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#76 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts
@tocool340 said:

As far as I'm concern, I still own a game if I pay for it...

I agree.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I don't care. I'm not an obnoxious racist toxic asshole on PSN, Steam, Origin, or XBL so I don't have to worry about getting banned and losing access to my games. And even if I do for some reason get the boot from these services and lose access to the games then it's whatever to me. I'm not emotionally attached to gaming at all. ??‍♂️

I also don't care what effect my choice of convenience over practicality has on other gamers.