Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46598 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Oh yea, I forgot about Black Mesa.

Barely updates Halflife, outside of graphics, automatically shits on all contemporary shooters.

I can't argue with that.

Half Life 1 is one of the most timeless games ever created.

I may have gotten past the three headed tentacle in Half Life over 2 dozen times, I still freak out every time I encounter that thing.

Some of the best encounters and introductions to different enemy types I've ever seen in a video game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#52 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@warmblur said:

Yes we do but it will never happen and if it did it would never live up to the hype.

Who cares about the hype? Honestly. Just make a good game worthy of the title. Valve shouldn't be held accountable if people have ridiculous expectations.

I don't care but I think Valve does.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

H-L 3 will probably never happen, which is sad, really. It's sad that Valve has given up on the franchise.

But then again, there are more games to be excited about, like Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus.

Life goes on.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

Something tells me Half-Life 3 will happen once VR tech catches up.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#55  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I'd still like to have it, and I'd much rather have that over the crap you hype.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#56 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

I'd still like to have it, and I'd much rather have that over the crap you hype.

come on princess, DOOM is masterpiece and so will DOOM E.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

we dont need HL3 because we have Super Mario Cart as an alternative.....clearly

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@tryit said:

mario cart is kiddy game.

here we talking about mature games.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@tryit said:

mario cart is kiddy game.

here we talking about mature games.

it was a bad attempt at a joke given how radically different those games are from HL

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#60 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59290 Posts
@IgGy621985 said:

H-L 3 will probably never happen, which is sad, really. It's sad that Valve has given up on the franchise.

People said the same thing about TF2, it was in development when 56k was standard.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@IgGy621985 said:

People said the same thing about TF2, it was in development when 56k was standard.

it was a time valve made a game. when was last time valve released a single player video game? 2011 Portal 2? before that it was Half life 2 in 2004 which was last full fledge SP game after that they released episodic expansions.

Half life 3 is never coming out.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Half-Life 3 is not the game we need right now, but the game that we deserve.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

about that, hlvr is still not released.

But I have faith in vr, once those varifocal headsets release, there will be no stopping vr.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I never needed the Half-Life games. But, I bought them anyway. ;)

If Half-Life 3 ever releases, I would say I'm not interested in it. But, I'll still give it a shot at some point later on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Is there any actual proof though that Valve ever started working on Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3 ?

At least we got a sweet trailer of Episode 2 after Episode 1 ended, after Episode 2 all we got was complete silence.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#66 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59290 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Is there any actual prove though that Valve ever started working on Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3 ?

At least we got a sweet trailer of Episode 2 after Episode 1 ended, after Episode 2 all we got was complete silence.

Concept art leaked.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 IgGy621985
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Is there any actual prove though that Valve ever started working on Half Life Episode 3 or Half Life 3 ?

Yeah, Gabe himself said that Episode 3 is in the works about 100 years ago.

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:

Concept art leaked.

One single piece of concept art.

If anything that's further proof that no actual development of the game ever took place

(Yes, I'm not counting pre-production)

@IgGy621985 said:

Yeah, Gabe himself said that Episode 3 is in the works about 100 years ago.

This video just makes me hang my head.

I love open companies so much, companies that engage their communities and actively communicate about what they are working on. Or what they are improving if it all goes wrong.

I hate secrecy and lies so much in this industry.

If anything that video is proof of Valve changing: They went from being one of the best gaming companies in the world to shady as hell.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I'm planning to play through all the Half Life games soon.

• Black Mesa
  • Half Life 2
  • Episode 1
  • Episode 2

What about Half Life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Opposing Force...?

A new Half Life game would be cool because no other game was as well directed as HL2 to bring you into the world with excellent bloom and lighting and sound production to crate very immersive environments which isn't just making your way along a corridor shooting everything up.

The physics puzzles could be a bit more well designed but the story is told very well unlike most fps's without using text dialogues or slowing down the action. You keep walking forwards all the way through and that keeps it interesting. Oh yeah, apart from the boring bits when you stand awkwardly in lifts with that chick and have to stand around when science guy talks. But for the most part it moves along quite well. Also no silly shops or point scoring.

No other fps is as mature a game as HL2 in terms of pacing, world realisation and overall production quality. They all seem a bit childish when compared. Like iD games for instance.

For the record. The story is hardly deep or complex and probably not really all worked out as the end to HL2 was a bit lame and I can't in fact remember what happened. I just remember going around a ski lift for ages. But the telling of the not so great story is done brilliantly.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 R4gn4r0k
@jackamomo said:

@R4gn4r0k: I'm planning to play through all the Half Life games soon.

• Black Mesa
  • Half Life 2
  • Episode 1
  • Episode 2

What about Half Life: Blue Shift and Half Life: Opposing Force...?

A new Half Life game would be cool because no other game was as well directed as HL2 to bring you into the world with excellent bloom and lighting and sound production to crate very immersive environments which isn't just making your way along a corridor shooting everything up.

The physics puzzles could be a bit more well designed but the story is told very well unlike most fps's without using text dialogues or slowing down the action. You keep walking forwards all the way through and that keeps it interesting. Oh yeah, apart from the boring bits when you stand awkwardly in lifts with that chick and have to stand around when science guy talks. But for the most part it moves along quite well. Also no silly shops or point scoring.

No other fps is as mature a game as HL2 in terms of pacing, world realisation and overall production quality. They all seem a bit childish when compared. Like iD games for instance.

I was just thinking about this and I love it so much how Half Life 1&2 spend their first half hour immersing you in their world and setting, there is no shooting going on.

So many other FPS are so busy pushing you into their shooting in the fist opening minutes and they forget about immersing you first.

I never liked Blue Shift to be honest, it's so short and forgettable. It offers nothing new over Half Life and Opposing Force.

Opposing Force on the other hand is amazing, but the goldsource engine is a bit too hard for me to get back to. There is a mod updating the game to the source engine, but I have no idea how far along it is, though I did see some progress recently.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 IgGy621985
@R4gn4r0k said:

This video just makes me hang my head.

I love open companies so much, companies that engage their communities and actively communicate about what they are working on. Or what they are improving if it all goes wrong.

I hate secrecy and lies so much in this industry.

If anything that video is proof of Valve changing: They went from being one of the best gaming companies in the world to shady as hell.

I wouldn't necessarily call them shady, but yeah, they did a 180 since enormous success with Steam. This happens when a smaller company turns into a massive corporation.

Regarding H-L 3, well, who knows what happened there. H-L 2 was a launch product for Steam. So perhaps H-L 3 is still in production, but they are waiting for the next big thing they'd launch H-L 3 with.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 R4gn4r0k
@IgGy621985 said:

I wouldn't necessarily call them shady, but yeah, they did a 180 since enormous success with Steam. This happens when a smaller company turns into a massive corporation.

Regarding H-L 3, well, who knows what happened there. H-L 2 was a launch product for Steam. So perhaps H-L 3 is still in production, but they are waiting for the next big thing they'd launch H-L 3 with.

Like you say: Half Life 2 was a great way to get people on the Steam platform.

I don't see Valve making any traditional games anymore (Day of Defeat, Half Life, Portal, L4D). Their future is definitely DOTA, heartstone and VR games.

If anything Half Life 3 will be used to sell VR or any other Valve hardware.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 IgGy621985
@R4gn4r0k said:

Like you say: Half Life 2 was a great way to get people on the Steam platform.

I don't see Valve making any traditional games anymore (Day of Defeat, Half Life, Portal, L4D). Their future is definitely DOTA, heartstone and VR games.

If anything Half Life 3 will be used to sell VR or any other Valve hardware.

Yeah. I believe that the games will come. But they have priorities. Who knows what's cooking there in their offices.

If anything I have learned from Valve is that they are a company with a massive amount of patience and a good sense of timing. They could have afforded patience in the times when they were making Half-Life 2, and they definitely can afford it now when they have huge financial resources. We'll obviousdly have to wait and see.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 R4gn4r0k
@IgGy621985 said:

Yeah. I believe that the games will come. But they have priorities. Who knows what's cooking there in their offices.

If anything I have learned from Valve is that they are a company with a massive amount of patience and a good sense of timing. They could have afforded patience in the times when they were making Half-Life 2, and they definitely can afford it now when they have huge financial resources. We'll obviousdly have to wait and see.

I always appreciated Valve because they took their time with products. Half Life 2 wasn't just a great sequel, it also took its time so it could be worlds apart from the previous entry. As well as a major technological advancement.

But I can't stand dead silence. Episode 2 came out over 11 years ago and it has been dead silent ever since.

I'm not a fan of CS, and I don't want to play DOTA or Hearstone, so I guess I don't want to play the games anymore from the company that brought me into gaming in the first place.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

@commander said:
@pc_rocks said:

about that, hlvr is still not released.

But I have faith in vr, once those varifocal headsets release, there will be no stopping vr.

True dat!

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 IgGy621985
@R4gn4r0k said:

I always appreciated Valve because they took their time with products. Half Life 2 wasn't just a great sequel, it also took its time so it could be worlds apart from the previous entry. As well as a major technological advancement.

But I can't stand dead silence. Episode 2 came out over 11 years ago and it has been dead silent ever since.

I'm not a fan of CS, and I don't want to play DOTA or Hearstone, so I guess I don't want to play the games anymore from the company that brought me into gaming in the first place.

Yep, I hear you. I don't play DOTA, Hearthstone or CS either.

I was trying to find Gabe's quote on Half-Life monetizing model, although was unable to. But I'm pretty sure I did read somewhere sometime ago that Gabe said how Half-Life doesn't fit into Valve's monetization model, as DOTA and TF2 do. And basically, that's why we don't have H-L 3 yet.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 R4gn4r0k
@IgGy621985 said:

Yep, I hear you. I don't play DOTA, Hearthstone or CS either.

I was trying to find Gabe's quote on Half-Life monetizing model, although was unable to. But I'm pretty sure I did read somewhere sometime ago that Gabe said how Half-Life doesn't fit into Valve's monetization model, as DOTA and TF2 do. And basically, that's why we don't have H-L 3 yet.

Oh yeah, they basically said they aren't interested in creating singleplayer games anymore.

I can't blame them from a business standpoint. As they make way more money from 200 dollar and 2000 dollar CS:GO and TF2 skins than they will ever make from creating another Half Life.

It just saddens me from a gamer standpoint, to see that Valve is all about the money now, and not about delivering beautifully crafted experiences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#78 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I think the game industry should just stop making games. We already got Doom, Stalker and Metro. If it's not to make a sequel of one those three games, no one should bother.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Yes

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11256 Posts

I don't expect anything from Valve development-wise anymore. If they do something, so be it. But them as a game dev has pretty much been third-nature for them now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts

I enjoyed Half-Life 1 & 2 and the Episodes back in the day but I’m not really a big fan of the games so I’m not losing any sleep on whether or not we get a Half-Life 3 or whatever.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#82 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I never cared for the first 2 games....

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#83 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Valve is of the opinion that we don't need it. Unless you want to argue that they can't actually produce it, which may also be true.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

There is no point for them to push it, half life 2 only happened to push there shop / engine into the market. Once there engine tanked hard they dropped half life in a hard beat.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Ghosts4ever

@Gatygun said:

There is no point for them to push it, half life 2 only happened to push there shop / engine into the market. Once there engine tanked hard they dropped half life in a hard beat.

but source engine was incredibly successful.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@Gatygun said:

but source engine was incredibly successful.

The problem is that people have the wrong understanding of gaben. He's a business man before anything else. He sits in gaming because its what creates him money.

His half life games where nothing but promotion material for his engines to get other people to build games and pay license fee's towards him. That was his goal.

Steam pushed this forwards and made this happen for him. He invested into technology and it paid off, but he pushed himself into multiple area's in order to increase his chances of something to stick around.

Wonderred why gaben suddently started to come out of his cave and created those steam pc's? because his milk cow was in danger. Which no longer is the case for now.

So why the hell would he when making more and more billions each year create half life 3, a game that is so hyped up to the end of the earth, that it will dissapoint just for the sake to sell a couple of million that make him barely any cash in comparison by just doing nothing?

It's the same reason why seinfeld series quited and will never return, it can only crash and burn and drag the old series with it. Now people keep rewatching the old series and hype it up which generates them easy money as they get invited all the time just for the sake of asking a question "is it ever going to return!"

Until people realize they are going down because of old age and realize its never going to happen.

back to Gaben and half life, gaben simple keeps the IP for the day that steam gets in a rough spot and he needs to probably push exclusives towards the platform to make people invest into it. Half life 3 would be a real good solution, half life 4 with a 3rd version that tanked, not so much.

So basically want gaben to make half life 3? stop buying games on steam and stop using it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#87 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

We already know the ending of Half Life 3. Mark Laidlaw posted it on his account. He explained the way he wanted to finish the story when he was still at Valve. Alex and Gordon head towards Borealis but find out that combine has already taken over. The whole story revolves around gathering forces and capturing Borealis to close the one last portal to stop the Combine invasion. That's plot of Half Life 3. The actual game won't come out. But at least now we know how it was supposed to end.