Do people understand the difference between a sandbox and open world?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

"An open world is a type of video game level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming"; however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and elude more to the absence of artificial barriers, in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by their ability to play creatively, boundless of artificial structural constraints, and with there being "no right way" of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

I think a lot of people are mistakenly calling certain games sandbox games when they really should be calling them open world, although to be fair it is often pretty hard to make the distinction these days.

Anyhow.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Unless the acronym means something else, but I think you mentiioned mario galaxy 2 as a sandbox game. :|

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

System Wars definition =

1) When bashing a game, they are the same

2) When defending a game, they are different

:P

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Doesn't really matter to be honest, either way, why should we take your word on it?
VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VauxhalI
Member since 2007 • 909 Posts

I think the labels are somewhat useless. I see Halo as a shooter. Selling Halo as a "Sandbox" game would be misleading.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I see it as, open ended games, like Fable and Oblivion, are open world. City games, like inFamous and GTA are sandbox. You don't have a huge chunk of land to explore, it's all smashed down into 1 area, which is always a city.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
:?
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

I think the labels a somewhat useless. I see Halo as a shooter. Selling Halo as a "Sandbox" game would be misleading.

VauxhalI
they go for a "sandbox" design, more or less its like linear levels that open up into small sandboxes of unscripted goodness
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts

I think Sandbox and openworld are similar in context. I think non linearity is another thing all together which could refer to level, narration, dialog, combat, etc.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 savagetwinkie

dupe :(

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 savagetwinkie
I see it as, open ended games, like Fable and Oblivion, are open world. City games, like inFamous and GTA are sandbox. You don't have a huge chunk of land to explore, it's all smashed down into 1 area, which is always a city. DevilBorg
sandbox vs open world is like comparing apples to apples, they are basically the same thing, a sand box gives you an open world to play in...
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Halo and SMG are not sandbox games.

:shock:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

my personal interpretation is this:

sandbox is casual, objective-free gaming with everything unlocked and zero restrictions. It generally applies to city-buildiers (i.e. sim city, Tropico, Pharoh, Caesar, etc) but can apply to other games. Sandbox is gaming for the sake of gaming; no stress, no pressure, just relaxation

open-world games are games that exist in a setting where you can go everywhere, but you are still limited due to various factors. For example, you can walk anywhere you want in TES: Oblivion, but you are sometime limited due to enemies, quest restrictions, etc. Open-world gaming is based upon objectives and exploration.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Gxgear
Halo most definitely is. :| SMG is debateable, but Halo is not. They have a sandbox design team. :P
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Ninja-Hippo

Halo most definitely is. :| SMG is debateable, but Halo is not. They have a sandbox design team. :P

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious with all the smileys.

Mogotoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mogotoo
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="DevilBorg"]I see it as, open ended games, like Fable and Oblivion, are open world. City games, like inFamous and GTA are sandbox. You don't have a huge chunk of land to explore, it's all smashed down into 1 area, which is always a city. savagetwinkie
sandbox vs open world is like comparing apples to apples, they are basically the same thing, a sand box gives you an open world to play in...

Um, don't you mean apples to oranges?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious with all the smileys.

Very serious. Halo is absolutely a sandbox game.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Sandbox is more of a game design, and open world is more of a level design.

open world - general lack of barriers, or loading screens. Sort of like being dropped off in the game universe.

sandbox - general lack of a specific playstyle.

Few games are genuinely sandbox games, but typically they allow an amount of freedom that is not typical in most games. For example fallout pretty much lets you go where you want for a certain amount of time, but you have a time limit to get something done. There are multiple paths, and you don't need a specific playstyle to accomplish the games goal, but you must accomplish the game's goal in a certain time frame. GTA games generally don't have a time frame, but often only have 1 playstyle to achieve any game objective (mostly killing somebody), and GTA's goals are obtained in order.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

Is Zelda Open World?

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
GTA IV = Sandbox Fallout 3 = Sandbox Crysis = Open world
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 amaneuvering
Doesn't really matter to be honest, either way, why should we take your word on it?SaltyMeatballs
You shouldn't. Go learn it for yourself. The Internet is an amazing thing you know.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 amaneuvering
[QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

I think the labels a somewhat useless. I see Halo as a shooter. Selling Halo as a "Sandbox" game would be misleading.

savagetwinkie
they go for a "sandbox" design, more or less its like linear levels that open up into small sandboxes of unscripted goodness

Exactly.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="DevilBorg"]I see it as, open ended games, like Fable and Oblivion, are open world. City games, like inFamous and GTA are sandbox. You don't have a huge chunk of land to explore, it's all smashed down into 1 area, which is always a city. savagetwinkie

No.

Super Mario World is a 2D game with very strict level layouts with an obvious beginning and end to each level, so it's most certainly not open world, and yet those are great examples of little self contained sandboxes.

A good "sandbox" game/world/level doesn't have to been on a huge scale (or even in 3D which I think most people mistakenly think is the case), just like a child's sandbox in real life is not as big as a real beach and yet it the rules inside it still hold up and the child is free to play as they see fit and the sandbox just works.

All a good "sandbox" really needs it a set of solid rules that allow you to play in that "sandbox" and have fun in it without the rules falling apart and the game design breaking as soon as you try to do the slightest little thing that the designers didn't specifically want you to do to progress the game.

There is a difference.

Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Mario galaxy 2 is a platformer :?
VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VauxhalI

So, all games are sandbox games except puzzle games... as long as they have levels.

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amaneuvering

Gxgear
Yes they are and if you watch the developer videos for the Halo games you will hear the designers mention repeatedly how they are trying to create sandboxes for the player to play in, and in fact the designers of Halo Reach specifically mentioned how they were trying to get back to the sandbox style of level design and gameplay that worked so well in the original Halo. Like I say, I think a lot of people don't know the difference between sandbox and open world.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 amaneuvering

Is Zelda Open World?

AmayaPapaya
A lot of Zelda is open world and it's also a pretty good sandbox too. The dungeons are where the game becomes a bit more linear and leaves far less room for experimentation beyond exactly what the designers expect you to do in each dungeon. So I really wouldn't say the dungeons were either open world, obviously, or very sandbox. When you are out in Hyrule field in Zelda 64 that is pretty much an open world area, albeit one that is not miles and miles across in size, and it's also a pretty good sandbox that you can just play around in and test out the games design limitations and indeed freedom.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 amaneuvering

my personal interpretation is this:

sandbox is casual, objective-free gaming with everything unlocked and zero restrictions. It generally applies to city-buildiers (i.e. sim city, Tropico, Pharoh, Caesar, etc) but can apply to other games. Sandbox is gaming for the sake of gaming; no stress, no pressure, just relaxation

open-world games are games that exist in a setting where you can go everywhere, but you are still limited due to various factors. For example, you can walk anywhere you want in TES: Oblivion, but you are sometime limited due to enemies, quest restrictions, etc. Open-world gaming is based upon objectives and exploration.

mrbojangles25
Yeah, that's a decent enough way of looking at it. That's why even though a level of Super Mario World has a very strict beginning and end I still consider it a decent sandbox, except for the time limit (which is where I say SMG2 is more sandbox), because within the level you are free to do exactly what you want in any way you want and everything just works and the rules don't suddenly fall apart or restrict you from playing as you see fit, within the pre-set rule sets of that sandbox of course. If there were no time limits on the levels in Super Mario World then each level would be a perfectly self contained 2D sandbox imo. The Silent Cartographer level in Halo is one of the best examples of a really good sandbox that I can think of. They put you in the level and you can just play in it. At any point you can choose to complete a couple of tasks that will advance the level but outside of that you can just race around the Island all day if you want, or swim around in the ocean, or try to use bombs to launch vehicles onto the top area of the Island, which you are not even supposed to be able to reach but if you do it still exists and nothing breaks, or you can just mess around shooting your troops, and so on and on. Outside of the invisible barrier that eventually appears if you swim quite far into the water it's a really well realized sandbox imo.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

amaneuvering
Yes they are and if you watch the developer videos for the Halo games you will hear the designers mention repeatedly how they are trying to create sandboxes for the player to play in, and in fact the designers of Halo Reach specifically mentioned how they were trying to get back to the sandbox style of level design and gameplay that worked so well in the original Halo. Like I say, I think a lot of people don't know the difference between sandbox and open world.

No matter how you spin it Halo isn't sandbox
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

open world: being able to travel anywhere on the map

examples of open world:

• Metroid (once you fully upgrade)
  • GTA
  • InFAMOUS (once you progress enough)
  • Zelda Wind Waker

non-linear: being able to complete a game out of order, sometimes sequence-breaking

examples of non-linear:

• Metroid
  • Forza
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

sandbox: the degree of freedom a player has to use multiple methods to complete any task

sandbox is actually harder to give examples of, because lots of games have minor sandbox elements while others have a lot

great examples of sandbox:

• Armored Core
  • Forza
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 2
  • Tetris

overall, the ultimate sandbox/non-linear/open-world game is World of Warcraft

the ultimate limited/linear/non-open-world game would probably be Mirror's Edge

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 amaneuvering
Mario galaxy 2 is a platformer :?Sp4rtan_3
Yes. Many of the best levels with this platform game are great example of relatively small self contained "sandboxes". Some levels in SMG2 are not very sandbox and others very much are.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 amaneuvering

So, all games are sandbox games except puzzle games... as long as they have levels.

VauxhalI
Nope. I think it's better if you look up some definitions because they can really help you understand the distinctions a bit better.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 amaneuvering
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

SparkyProtocol

It absolutely is. That's one of the main design principles behind the Halo games and it's why when you play Halo compared to another FPS game that is far more linear and guided, like the Call of Duty games for example, you can most definitely feel a difference in how you play through the levels and indeed how you can play in the levels. Halo levels are like mini playgrounds that you can easily spend hours just playing around in and seeing what happens when you try to do things the game doesn't specifically expect you to do to complete the level, but obviously with goals that have to be fulfilled at some point if you want to progress to the next level. Call of Duty on the other hand, as an example, doesn't really have much to do beyond the goals within each level. Certainly not anywhere near the freedom to explore and play that you find in Halo's The Silent Cartographer level for example.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 amaneuvering

examples of open world:

• GTA
  • Zelda Wind Waker

non-linear: being able to complete a game out of order, sometimes sequence-breaking

examples of non-linear:

• Metroid
  • Forza
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

sandbox: the degree of freedom a player has to use multiple methods to complete any task

sandbox is actually harder to give examples of, because lots of games have minor sandbox elements while others have a lot

• Armored Core
  • Forza
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 2
  • Tetris

88mphSlayer
Yeah, some pretty good examples and points there imo.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 amaneuvering

For anyone that's not quite sure of the distinction or difference between sandbox and open world please feel free to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

examples of open world:

• GTA
  • Zelda Wind Waker

examples of non-linear:

• Metroid
  • Forza
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

• Armored Core
  • Forza
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 2
  • Tetris

amaneuvering

Terrible points. I can't believe you agree that Tetris and Forza are sandbox.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

VauxhalI

Nope. I think it's better if you look up some definitions because they can really help you understand the distinctions a bit better.

I can extend definitions into something completely ridiculous too, like... all games are first person games because you're playing them from the first-person perspective of an omnipotent God-like entity who controls the characters. Woo, I could make a thread about that. Isn't that what you do (trolling, I mean)?

For anyone that's not quite sure of the distinction or difference between sandbox and open world please feel free to read this:

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

examples of open world:

• GTA
  • Zelda Wind Waker

examples of non-linear:

• Metroid
  • Forza
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

• Armored Core
  • Forza
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 2
  • Tetris

SparkyProtocol

in Tetris you're given total control over how to "solve" the un-ending puzzle, the game doesn't limit where each piece can go or how it's placed and similarly gives you total freedom to screw up and still win

in Forza, apart from a few manufacturer racing events, you're given total control over the build and tuning of the cars, and many events being simply performance based gives the player the freedom to race almost anything against almost anything, the racing itself is simply an extension of the car the player drives

Forza is pretty similar to Armored Core in that aspect, in that you've got linear levels but a wide array of tools and customization to use

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 amaneuvering
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

examples of open world:

• GTA
  • Zelda Wind Waker

examples of non-linear:

• Metroid
  • Forza
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Crackdown
  • Fallout 3

• Armored Core
  • Forza
  • Oblivion
  • Diablo 2
  • Tetris

SparkyProtocol

I didn't say every point was absolutely perfect. In general he understand the main differentiators and distinctions between open world and sandbox imo and obviously he considers some of those examples to fit into how he interprets "sandbox" in a very broad sense. I personally wouldn't really call Tetris a sandbox game but I can see how some people might consider it a type of sandbox.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="amaneuvering"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

SparkyProtocol

Halo IS a sandbox game. :? Heck they have a LEAD SANDBOX DESIGNER!
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="amaneuvering"] Yes they are and if you watch the developer videos for the Halo games you will hear the designers mention repeatedly how they are trying to create sandboxes for the player to play in, and in fact the designers of Halo Reach specifically mentioned how they were trying to get back to the sandbox style of level design and gameplay that worked so well in the original Halo. Like I say, I think a lot of people don't know the difference between sandbox and open world.Ninja-Hippo

Halo IS a sandbox game. :? Heck they have a LEAD SANDBOX DESIGNER!

Exactly,

Halo games are without doubt great examples of sandbox game play, for the most part, despite being level based (which some people seem to think means they cannot be "sandboxes").

It seems like some people just don't want to accept anything other than what they already believe despite the clear evidence to the contrary.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts
It took this thread to finally bring me out of lurking and into posting. Well TC, from the looks of this thread I would say you are correct. Many people dont understand the difference apparently. Many open world games offer sandbox gameplay as it is fitting, but sandbox game design is not dependant on open world level design at all. The MGS series gameplay is the definition of sandbox design, yet the games are not open world at all. I'm still finding new ways to clear areas on MGS2 and MGS3 all these years later. Sometimes in MGS3 I would keep reloading the same area over and over again just to see how many interesting ways I could tackle a situation. Its amazing that some gamers cant see the difference between heavily scripted events and set pieces vs. freedom of play style. Oh and a quick edit for those who dont see the sandbox design in SMG2. Did you not play the green star missions? Thats basically Nintendos way of hitting you over the head with a stick and letting you know you experiment around lol.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

It took this thread to finally bring me out of lurking and into posting. Well TC, from the looks of this thread I would say you are correct. Many people dont understand the difference apparently. Many open world games offer sandbox gameplay as it is fitting, but sandbox game design is not dependant on open world level design at all. The MGS series gameplay is the definition of sandbox design, yet the games are not open world at all. I'm still finding new ways to clear areas on MGS2 and MGS3 all these years later. Sometimes in MGS3 I would keep reloading the same area over and over again just to see how many interesting ways I could tackle a situation. Its amazing that some gamers cant see the difference between heavily scripted events and set pieces vs. freedom of play style. Oh and a quick edit for those who dont see the sandbox design in SMG2. Did you not play the green star missions? Thats basically Nintendos way of hitting you over the head with a stick and letting you know you experiment around lol.sandbox3d

This guy is a sandbox.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

I can extend definitions into something completely ridiculous too, like... all games are first person games because you're playing them from the first-person perspective of an omnipotent God-like entity who controls the characters. Woo, I could make a thread about that. Isn't that what you do (trolling, I mean)?

VauxhalI

For anyone that's not quite sure of the distinction or difference between trolling and normal users please feel free to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

So it seems you dont understand the topic at hand, nor do you know understand what trolling is. Which is ironic in a way, considering you are trolling this topic.
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"][QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

For anyone that's not quite sure of the distinction or difference between trolling and normal users please feel free to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

VauxhalI

So it seems you dont understand the topic at hand, nor do you know understand what trolling is. Which is ironic in a way, considering you are trolling this topic.

July 4th, eh?

And what relevance does that have to anything in this topic?
VauxhalI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VauxhalI

[QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"] So it seems you dont understand the topic at hand, nor do you know understand what trolling is. Which is ironic in a way, considering you are trolling this topic.sandbox3d

July 4th, eh?

You're a big fan of sandbox games and 3d?

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sandbox3d

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"][QUOTE="VauxhalI"]

July 4th, eh?

VauxhalI

You're a big fan of sandbox games and 3d?

My user name eh? I went with sandbox since I saw this topic and decided to sign up and post a comment. I dont really care too much about a screen name. As for the 3d part, I am a 3d artist. Mainly a 3ds Max and Zbrush user. I usually just tag it on to any account name I make.