Do PC gamers miss going to the store to buy games?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Why would I miss walking all the way to town, looking through the isles for a game they may not even have and then paying the full RRP, when now I can get the game cheaper with absolutely no hassle?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#102 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I do but after remembering those scratches on CDs ... Yeah , I prefer digital download now . However , there should be option for box product as well because sometimes it is cool to have DVD of your most anticipated game . But the problem is games' size which is becoming bigger and bigger .

blurays don't get scratched unless you really try to scratch them with a fork or something.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

I do but after remembering those scratches on CDs ... Yeah , I prefer digital download now . However , there should be option for box product as well because sometimes it is cool to have DVD of your most anticipated game . But the problem is games' size which is becoming bigger and bigger .

blurays don't get scratched unless you really try to scratch them with a fork or something.

Perhaps he was referring to XBox 360 and PC DVDs. It would've been nice if PC developers used Blu Ray as the standard retail media format.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#104 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@roler42 said:

@aroxx_ab: Kinda hard to leave anything behind when you re-sell your game the next day after beating it

Yeah sure, but with physical store games you at least had the option to do whatever you want with it...but other hand.. you couldnt trade in PC games anyway back in the days cuz piracy

You preety much prooved my point

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#105  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

You cant own things that you cant touch with your hands, digital distribution feels just like a rental. I miss the old days when you had those big boxes and you actually got a big manual, map of the game world etc included and you didnt have to bind your cdkey to some online account service.

You don't own anything with a physical copy either. You just bought a license to use the software. The disc it comes on is merely their way of getting the software to you. At least with a DD service, you have the legal right to make an infinite number of digital and physical backups of the software, and aren't completely SOL if one of them gets damaged (getting a replacement copy of a physical game means buying it again).

I "own" the licenses to use the software. If I really want to make a physical copy to go on the shelf, they make DVDR's and high quality printers for inserts.

And there is no retail location that offers 75-90% sales on video games that are 6 months old (Steam Summer Sale during those 12 hour offers, even brand new games get cut down). You cannot argue with that in the slightest.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Perhaps he was referring to XBox 360 and PC DVDs. It would've been nice if PC developers used Blu Ray as the standard retail media format.

Why? That would just increase the cost of manufacturing for those tiny percentage of copies they actually produce and sell on the retail market. You are installing the game anyways, no need for it to be on one disc.

And another great thing about DD is: you don't have to fumble with discs when you want to switch games.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#106 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Yeah, I miss the good old days of actually owning your game. I remember big after X-mas sales... Digging in the piles of PC games pulling out all the ones I wanted for super low prices. I filled a whole shopping cart before.

Those were the days.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

No. Good riddance to all those dust collectors. Better for the environment too :)

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

So console gamers get laid more than hermits ? How you do you consolites do it ?

I buy my favorite games from Gametop (ie Guild Wars 2 & Souls series)

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#109 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

What an obvious Anti-PC thread. TC is a jelly peasant confirmed.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

You cant own things that you cant touch with your hands, digital distribution feels just like a rental. I miss the old days when you had those big boxes and you actually got a big manual, map of the game world etc included and you didnt have to bind your cdkey to some online account service.

"The things you own, end up owning you"-Tyler Durden

"The precious is our master"-Gollum

Yeah, I'm not going to be wrapped up in physical possessions. Nothing is going with you in the end.

No but i leave something behind, not an empty bookshelf...

To each their own. I'd rather leave behind an example of being detached from materialism to my next generation.

Haha please STFU, detached from materialism while having gaming as a hobby.

Probably not as detached as you think ;)

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#111 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

It was an odd transition at first, and I do miss having game manuals and finding great cheap deals, but the Steam sales more than make up for the old clearance prices, and the lack of physical discs has been tremendous. So I did at first, but after my first Steam sale, I have never looked back.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't miss it, but I would start buying physical copies, if they went back to the way they used to be packaged.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@achilles614 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

"The things you own, end up owning you"-Tyler Durden

"The precious is our master"-Gollum

Yeah, I'm not going to be wrapped up in physical possessions. Nothing is going with you in the end.

No but i leave something behind, not an empty bookshelf...

To each their own. I'd rather leave behind an example of being detached from materialism to my next generation.

Haha please STFU, detached from materialism while having gaming as a hobby.

Probably not as detached as you think ;)

Who says I cant play games and not be possessed by physical things? Or is the only example one of Monk like discipline?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I don't, because the only PC games I buy are on Steam sales for under $10.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

I prefer my games in digital format. However, I do buy the occasional 3DS game off Amazon.

I appreciate the art work and the feeling of owning something tangible, but I think it is good that we are moving away from that. In my opinion, there are few practical reasons to have physical copies of games. For the most part, they have no residual value, and it would probably not be worth my time trying to resale physical games. Plus, they create additional waste in the materials used (same with movies).

I know a lot of people argue that with digital copies you do not truly own the game, and if a company like Steam folds, then you may lose your right to play the game. But, in my opinion, that is not as big of an opportunity cost as it sounds. There are many games on my Steam list that I will probably play once, and most of my purchases are under $20. So, I feel like I received enough value from many of my games already. Anyways, those are just some random thoughts.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I went to Hastings to pick up the Diablo 3 expansion. It was a nice trip down memory lane. It felt like I was in the year 2000.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#118  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

im a collector so i hate having to buy anything digital but if i have to, i will. i have like 30 digital games now

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i still do that

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Hell no. I can buy it from Steam (usually cheaper) and have it download while I go take a shit.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#121 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'll get a physical copy of a console game if it's something I feel I may sell, can't get it online, or want a special edition version. For PC, I'll just download the game unless there's a special edition that comes with an art book or something. I don't miss the stores themselves. Or the boxes. Those just take up space.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

not even a little. I have to go there every now and then when a console game releases and it's a pain in the ass. It's 2014 no need to drive for data!

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

Nope. I like the convenience.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Well first, I can go to the store to buy my PC games, so I don't really understand your question.

Second, **** no I don't miss going to the store to buy my PC games. I get to set in my own home and order them off the net, which means no dealing with people (people suck), no wasting my gas (which means no wasting my money), and of course no wasting my time.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

@amazonangry You aren't trying hard enough.

That's funny because to me he is always trying too hard and failing hard in the process.

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

Hermits get comfort in their $1000 video card...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: Physical copy advantages are? that 00000.1% of time my internet is down? boxart? who the f*ck cares? waste of space... collects dust. just google image if you want to sadly stare at friggin concept art.

oh wait its you.... run out of good material that quickly?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lol PS4hasnogames thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

lol PS4hashogames thread

Is that the type of games PS4 has?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

@MonsieurX said:

lol PS4hashogames thread

Is that the type of games PS4 has?

Might explain why he always seems angry

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@razu2444 said:

Hermits get comfort in their $1000 video card...

Actually mine was only $30 after I sold my old GPU and sent in the mail in rebate for my new one.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I bought my first game online this year. Always preferred a boxed copy but now im asking myself what is the point? On consoles you can re-sell the game so a box copy is a no brainer for me who doesn't like to collect walls of game. But on pc there's pretty much no point, especially since you're getting games much cheaper from day one.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#134 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

As a PC / Console / Portable gamer I'll just say hell no.

Especially GameStop. If I never have to deal with one of those "Register Biscuits" again it will be too soon.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Are people really calling eachother virgins on.. a gaming forum? Really?

the final death gasps of peasantry when they have nothing else to use in a discussion

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@UnbiasedPoster said:

You're talking to a faction called hermits for a reason. They'd rather download 40 gb games on a 56k connection instead of driving 2 minutes to Walmart.

Actually it makes more sense for me to just start the download while I'm at work, and then it's ready to go buy the time I'm home. Means I don't have to go out of my way/wait for a weekend to go shop or disrupt my schedule just to get a game

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#137 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The only times I chose digital over physical are when there are some sweat ass deals. Otherwise I would ALWAYS buy physical

_tr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 _tr
Member since 2007 • 63 Posts

Hmmmm.... no?

In my country more ten half of shop shelves in stores with games are for PC games. Ten years ago it was nearly 80-90%...

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

i still buy pc games through retail

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

Would I rather drive 25 minutes to the closest game store, or buy and download directly from the comfort of my home.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@amazonangry: eh? Ps4 and x1 have no games, when go a game store there about 10 games of each console there at most.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

ew yea I hate virgins, like @lostrib who stalks my every move trying to be my friend. But having the actually physical copy, its nice to actually have it, the box art is cool, the disc is good to have so you can resell it or trade if you want.

Except for the part where a lot of PC games have some form of authentication or CD key, making reselling it a bit more difficult. Unless you're referring to how you can do that on consoles, but you weren't particularly clear with your statement.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

As a console gamer I miss going to the store to buy games, unless you get something right after it releases stores like GameStop are horrible for keeping new copies in stock. At best they just have gutted or used copies missing cases and it's only like $5 cheaper on a full price game at best. Instead I just order all my new stuff off of Amazon, besides it's usually cheaper than for new stuff on Amazon than the GameStop used price.