Do PC gamers miss going to the store to buy games?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#51 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Not when I bought Arkham Asylum, City and Origins for $25 through steam. Keep the cardboard with these sales.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

*sees game he's been wanting for a couple weeks is on sale for 75% off*

*buys and downloads without getting off the couch*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

You cant own things that you cant touch with your hands, digital distribution feels just like a rental. I miss the old days when you had those big boxes and you actually got a big manual, map of the game world etc included and you didnt have to bind your cdkey to some online account service.

so true. I can download ps4 games from the PSn store, but why would I when I can buy the physical copy, play the shit out of it...and when I'm done I can sell it on ebay or craigslist for 80-90% of what I paid. Use that money to buy another game and keep doing the same thing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 cainetao11

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

I really do laugh at people who don't see the convenience in digital distribution.

You cant own things that you cant touch with your hands, digital distribution feels just like a rental. I miss the old days when you had those big boxes and you actually got a big manual, map of the game world etc included and you didnt have to bind your cdkey to some online account service.

"The things you own, end up owning you"-Tyler Durden

"The precious is our master"-Gollum

Yeah, I'm not going to be wrapped up in physical possessions. Nothing is going with you in the end.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

No. I've ordered my games online for years now. There's a certain childlike glee that comes from having a highly anticipated game arrive in the post and be sitting at home when I get back from work.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

Yeah, I'm not going to be wrapped up in physical possessions. Nothing is going with you in the end.

No but i leave something behind, not an empty bookshelf...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 cainetao11

@aroxx_ab said:

@cainetao11 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@foxhound_fox said:

*opens Steam store page*

No but i leave something behind, not an empty bookshelf...

To each their own. I'd rather leave behind an example of being detached from materialism to my next generation.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@lostrib said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@bldgirsh said:

Well, obviously not. You would have to be 17+ with a state ID for a rated M game. But, I can guarantee your parents had to wait in line to pick up your games before.

im in my 20s, maybe they did a decade ago but even then nobody ever carded me for buying a game... all that stuff started within the last 5 years

I don't know specifically about carding, but the no M rated games to kids thing started more than 5 years ago. I clearly remember having to have a parent to purchase Diablo 2

maybe in bumfuck alabama lol

I'm making a lot of new friends here

I wouldn't know, since I don't live in the south

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@aroxx_ab: Kinda hard to leave anything behind when you re-sell your game the next day after beating it

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

You're talking to a faction called hermits for a reason. They'd rather download 40 gb games on a 56k connection instead of driving 2 minutes to Walmart.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I do not know why they would. I order digital copies on PSN any chance I get. More convenient. Boxes are something I would have to store somewhere anyways.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PS4hasNOgames

@UnbiasedPoster said:

You're talking to a faction called hermits for a reason. They'd rather download 40 gb games on a 56k connection instead of driving 2 minutes to Walmart.

AHHH, i forgot who i was dealing with

no point in me trying thanks man, sometimes I lose my way, its good to have a fellow consolite steer me in the right direction.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: You say consolite like it's a good thing.

I like how you only respond to the negative, fanboy comments and try to sound serious.

Out of curiosity, do you have a gaming rig? Or is this a thinly veiled bash thread? Because I feel like its the ladder considering what you're doing.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PS4hasNOgames

@melonfarmerz said:

@ps4hasnogames: You say consolite like it's a good thing.

I like how you only respond to the negative, fanboy comments and try to sound serious.

Out of curiosity, do you have a gaming rig? Or is this a thinly veiled bash thread? Because I feel like its the ladder considering what you're doing.

All Im doing is preparing for the future when all these console companies will most likely go digital only because of pressure from game makers to combat the used game sales. No I game on consoles only, I used to game on PC's back when any off the shelf pc would play your games with no problem and not have you update your cards and fiddle through the stupid settings to get it to work. After that changed its been all consoles.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

When I walk into a GameStop I feel like I walked through a portal to 5 years into the past. The only thing I buy in retail stores are clothes and shoes. Everything else is bought online for much cheaper than retail stores

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

no point in me trying thanks man, sometimes I lose my way, its good to have a fellow consolite steer me in the right direction.

It's ok, we're here for each other.

Carry on, System Warrior. And keep fighting the good fight.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

It's ok, we're here for each other.

Carry on, System Warrior. And keep fighting the good fight.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 aroxx_ab

@roler42 said:

@aroxx_ab: Kinda hard to leave anything behind when you re-sell your game the next day after beating it

Yeah sure, but with physical store games you at least had the option to do whatever you want with it...but other hand.. you couldnt trade in PC games anyway back in the days cuz piracy

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 aroxx_ab
@BPoole96 said:

When I walk into a GameStop I feel like I walked through a portal to 5 years into the past. The only thing I buy in retail stores are clothes and shoes. Everything else is bought online for much cheaper than retail stores

That is cuz when you buy digital stuff you get less

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I can't be bothered taking the bus to the next town. Also the stores don't have the majority of games I want to play on PC

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

No I hate interacting with greasy console peasants that usually work there

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@SamiRDuran said:

No I hate interacting with greasy console peasants that usually work there

same here

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I dont even go to the store to buy games anymore, I just order them online. It is cheaper as it consumes less fuel and I always get the best deal from anywhere in this country.

This also applies for PC games. Yes, believe it or not, the vast majority of games can be bought as physical copies and since Steam charges euro to europeans it is usually far cheaper to do so as well.

@roulettethedog:Not to mention how much easier it is to get a good deal. A local retailer sold a Wii U for 3000 SEK, I booted up a price comparison website and bought one for 2200 SEK (1 SEK is roughly $6 USD).

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 BPoole96

@aroxx_ab said:
@BPoole96 said:

What am I getting less of? All I want is the game. I don't care about game manuals and boxarts I don't really need a boxart depicting a grizzly man with a weapon staring at the front with his chin down and eyes staring up. And not only am I usually getting the game cheaper, but I also don't have to pay tax, which saves me an additional $4-5.

Right now, I can buy The Witcher 3 on Steam for $48. Or, I could go to Gamestop to preorder the game for $60+tax. Come launch day, I will play the game the second the clock hits midnight, whereas with a physical copy, I would have to drive to GameStop in the middle of the night (assuming they even have a midnight release), stand in line with a bunch of mouthbreathers, be hassled during checkout to preorder some other game, drive all the way home, and then play the game. This is of course if the game doens't have some sort of mandatory install/update, in which case I'm waiting even longer to be able to play my game.

So really, how much are those plastic boxes and 16 page manuals worth to you?

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

not at all. Don't like physical games. They make my place messy. The only games I like to collect physically are Nintendo games

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It usually results in some asshole thinking he's my friend, touching my shoulder trying to have a bro chat.

Steam removes these virgins from my sight.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I could care less. Only a few devs like Blizzard (who still do boxed games) ever had anything remotely interesting in the boxes. It might be hard for you to understand, but for me, it's just really not an issue--I simply don't care. Not to mention, digital distribution is the saving grace of the games industry, allowing developers to publish games that simply wouldn't be feasible under the traditional retail publishing model. The sooner consoles transition to digital distribution as their primary means of distribution, the better--not just for developers/publishers, but for gamers as a whole. Max Schaefer from Runic Games (Torchlight 1/2) has a lot to say about this:

"Back in the day, when we would sell a $60-dollar box, by the time the money came back to us, it would be maybe $14 dollars a copy. And that's what we get nowadays on Steam, selling a digital download version for $20. So from our perspective, we're as viable and as profitable as an independent developer used to be selling $60 boxes," said Schaefer.

"We're bypassing the publisher and box distribution and that lets us bring a $60 game to people for $20. We don't want people to look at Torchlight as a cheap game, because we think it's competitive with anything out there. But we like the idea that we're at this price. It sets us apart a little bit. We also want people to buy a Runic Games product without even thinking about it, because they know it's always a good value."

Link

btw, even when there were hard copies, you still couldn't resell or trade most of them in due to the serial code activation. I don't remember trading in any of my old PC games at places like Gamestop.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

no that lacks environmental conscientiousness

**** the environment.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By aroxx_ab

@BPoole96 said:

@aroxx_ab said:
@BPoole96 said:

What am I getting less of? All I want is the game. I don't care about game manuals and boxarts I don't really need a boxart depicting a grizzly man with a weapon staring at the front with his chin down and eyes staring up. And not only am I usually getting the game cheaper, but I also don't have to pay tax, which saves me an additional $4-5.

Right now, I can buy The Witcher 3 on Steam for $48. Or, I could go to Gamestop to preorder the game for $60+tax. Come launch day, I will play the game the second the clock hits midnight, whereas with a physical copy, I would have to drive to GameStop in the middle of the night (assuming they even have a midnight release), stand in line with a bunch of mouthbreathers, be hassled during checkout to preorder some other game, drive all the way home, and then play the game. This is of course if the game doens't have some sort of mandatory install/update, in which case I'm waiting even longer to be able to play my game.

So really, how much are those plastic boxes and 16 page manuals worth to you?

So why are you hermits buying collectors editions? back in the days standard editions was almost like collectors edition today.

You dont have to drive your lasy ass to Gamestop...you can order online and get the game mailed to your door.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@crashnburn281:

Woah. Who shops at Walmart, the most greedy corporation out there that would gladly take over small businesses and neglect its own employees for monetary gain.

Politics aside, 56 kb connection... What type of PC do you have?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BPoole96

@aroxx_ab: Digital wasn't an option back in the day. And this thread is titled "Do hermits miss going to the store to buy games", why are you talking about ordering online?

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

You can still buy PC games in shops

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Hell no. It's cheaper, faster and no clutter. Convenience is nice.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By aroxx_ab

@BPoole96 said:

@aroxx_ab: Digital wasn't an option back in the day. And this thread is titled "Do hermits miss going to the store to buy games", why are you talking about ordering online?

Because in some way thread is to me = physical copy vs digital copy

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BPoole96

@aroxx_ab: So you're just moving goalposts to try to win arguments? Gotcha

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Meh. The best part about that was reading the booklet on the way home, now there are no proper booklets and I don't get a lift with my parents or go on the bus. Quite happy just to purchase from the cheapest place I can find online now. Saves money on the game, parking and petrol.

I miss being able to try and console game in store before purchasing but that's a different thing entirely!

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#88 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I don't miss the expensive-ass prices but yeah, I remember a better sense of ownership when I bought physical. Either way things have changed, and the games are really all that matter, they haven't changed.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

I used to game on PC's back when any off the shelf pc would play your games with no problem and not have you update your cards and fiddle through the stupid settings to get it to work. After that changed its been all consoles.

And when was this? I've probably been gaming longer than you and I don't remember a time when just any PC will play any PC game.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

1 word: Pirating. Almoste very PC disc comes with DRM nowadays, so what's the point? That's why i'm buying physical for TW3 (CE maybe), to support CDPR and because they understand drm is bullshit and doesn't work.

Otherwise, any game you buy digitally gets linked to a 3rd party platform like Steam or Uplay, so just download the pirate copy to keep as back up in case something goes wrong. It's what i i've done for quite some time. You get the convinience of DD, since you don't need to worry about losing it, product keys, etc, and the permanent ownership of the game aswell.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah those shops have people working there that are hired because they look hip, a hot female, and neither the guys or girl know a single thing about gaming, less about pc's. It's horrible being in those shops, I'm usually greeted (as I was today) with "hey dude". Pity New Zealand doesnt have Amazon,Netflix or anything, so I still need to buy my movies in Blu-ray format discs. Digital everything is the way to go.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Not really. Digital version of the game is more likely to get a ridiculous discount, but I do like to have collector's edition in physical form.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

I don't go because it's kind of dangerous, a lot of console peasants are lurking at these places, you might get infected or worse.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#94  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Even though I get 95% of my games digital, I do miss the PC game retail days. Seeing row upon row of pc games in stores, and looking at the huge cardboard boxes is not something I will forget. I still have a great many PC game boxes and maybe those games have extra value for me since they have a physical presence. Burning and making my own inlays is just not the same. Digital is nice in that it saves so much space. I have hundreds of games and no more troubles with storage.

I still buy the odd PC game retail, often its just a dvd box like the consoles get. Then it might be just a 2 page manual (or maybe none) I should probably commit myself to buy a few more retail games per year.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#95  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Ofcoarse a bunch of blind hermits will say hell no, but I know deep down they loved going to the game store and buying an actual physical copy of a game. PC game boxes were cool with the all cardboard big boxes. I know technically they still exist but it's really dead.

No im not .... why to ? The price differences are so big nowdays between a hard copy and a soft that in the end of the year you ending up with at least +10 games on same price tag ( aside all these steam offers which then we talking about +20/30 games ).

So find me a reason why to miss hard copies ?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Although my last two games were digital: Bioshock Infinite Season Pass (Steam) and Watch Dogs (free download with my video card), I still see many PC games that are sold retail. I usually buy them as an impulse buy.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I play my games on console but never visit an actual bricks and mortar store, i use amazon to save money and the games are delivered right to my mailbox.

Aslong as there are physical copies i wil always buy that instead of digital downloads, i like somethin to hold and look at.

MdBrOtha04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MdBrOtha04
Member since 2003 • 1828 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: I bought watch dogs on the PC at Gamestop

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#99  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If PC gamers loved buying physical games in a retail environment so much then there would still be a market there and PC gamers would still be buying from physical game retailers... Buying digital or ordering online is more convenient and can be a lot cheaper so its obvious why those buying options are more popular, just like it will be for console games in 5-10 years.

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

In general, I do miss going to the store and buying games. As a kid, I used to love reading the instruction manuals on the ride home. :-D That said, I like the way things are now as well.