Digital Foundry Xbox One X Game Analysis Thread! (Sticky Please!)

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:
@i_p_daily said:
@quadknight said:

@goldenelementxl: True, Sony effed up by not including a UHD player in the Pro but at least they didn’t forget to launch it with gameslike MS did with the 1X.

PS4 PRO release date November 10 2016

Games released in November 2016

So what were these games Sony released with the launch of the PRO again???

What 2016/2017 exclusive games are you gonna be playing on your XboneX this holiday?

? I rest my case. MS had a full year to prepare after the Pro's launch and they still have nothing lol.

Oh the deflection, thanks for not answering the question and accepting you just lost again lol.

Refer to the bolded part at the top of this quote chain quack, then re-read the rest of your responses to me especially the bolded part below, or is that asking too much of your reading comprehension abilities lol

@quadknight said:

@i_p_daily: Dat butthurt essay reply. Why do they have to release a game on the launch day? WTF are you talking about? Who does that for mid-gen refresh consoles?

I asked you a question about what AAA 2016/2017 games they launched in the past year to help promote the XboneX and your butthurt ass can’t come up with any ?. I already gave you Uncharted and UC4 for PS4 Pro. You can’t come up with anything because MS don’t have any. Thanks for proving my point clown ?.

“? b...bu...bu...but Halo Wars 2!!1” ?

We all know when you refer to "essays" & "butthurt" it means you're having a meltdown because you've been owned :)

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#202  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm having a great time playing some of the less demanding games as well. This really cool retro type shooter got the 4K upgrade in addition to HDR(edit: turbo mode seems smoother to me):

http://blog.kongregate.com/gridd-retroenhanced-is-now-xbox-one-enhanced/

We invite all new Xbox One X owners to pick up GRIDD in the Xbox Store to experience the game in its highest fidelity! The free update to the game for Xbox One X owners supports native 4k UHD resolution and HDR displays, bringing out those bright neon lasers and explosions in an even more spectacular way. For those who don't have a 4k television, you can also play in "Turbo" mode, which runs the game at a silky smooth 60 frames per second on 1080p displays.

Kongregate is excited to continue to bring GRIDD: Retroenhanced to more platforms, and bring more games to Xbox One X in the future!

Loading Video...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20125 Posts

@Tessellation: I think he said it was at 900p since 1080p was post patch.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

@Zero_epyon: It is 1080p with the original xbox one patch,they haven't release the xbox one x patch yet.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@i_p_daily: ?? What a meltdown. You’re still dodging my question even though I answered yours. Keep typing those butthurt essay replies though ?.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Zero_epyon

@Tessellation: right but that patch locked the frame rate to 30 fps. The original game before the patch was 900p with an unlocked frame rate. That's what I got from the video.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Tessellation

@Zero_epyon: It looked too sharp to be a 900p game.. even upscaled doesn't look as good as 1080p native, now i know why the xbox one x is running the game at 1080p without patch for the console,the original witcher 3 for the xbox one og had dynamic resolution,so it switch between 900p and 1080p depending the game load.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@quadknight said:

@i_p_daily: ?? What a meltdown. You’re still dodging my question even though I answered yours. Keep typing those butthurt essay replies though ?.

Thanks again for dodging the question and admitting to having no reading comprehension quack, oh and to being owned AGAIN lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Zero_epyon

@Tessellation: ahh got it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#210  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

I'm having a great time playing some of the less demanding games as well. This really cool retro type shooter got the 4K upgrade in addition to HDR:

http://blog.kongregate.com/gridd-retroenhanced-is-now-xbox-one-enhanced/

We invite all new Xbox One X owners to pick up GRIDD in the Xbox Store to experience the game in its highest fidelity! The free update to the game for Xbox One X owners supports native 4k UHD resolution and HDR displays, bringing out those bright neon lasers and explosions in an even more spectacular way. For those who don't have a 4k television, you can also play in "Turbo" mode, which runs the game at a silky smooth 60 frames per second on 1080p displays.

Kongregate is excited to continue to bring GRIDD: Retroenhanced to more platforms, and bring more games to Xbox One X in the future!

Loading Video...

GRIDD: Retroenhanced looks a lot of fun! Remains me of Tron Legacy in a kind of way. I'll put this on my wishlist into Steam whenever the Winter sale starts. Thanks for sharing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Add COD WWII to the not native 4K list

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Zero_epyon

@goldenelementxl: wait what? I read it was native?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Zero_epyon: The Xbox One X version uses a dynamic resolution with the native resolution ranging from 1920x2160 to 3840x2160. On base Xbox One Hardware it goes down to, get this, 800x900

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx0NuH0Ym_E

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@Zero_epyon: The Xbox One X version uses a dynamic resolution with the native resolution ranging from 1920x2160 to 3840x2160. On base Xbox One Hardware it goes down to, get this, 800x900

rut roh raggy

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Zero_epyon

@goldenelementxl said:

I just found that video.

Loading Video...

Not DF but interesting nonetheless. It also uses temporal reconstruction. And based on this video it still drops a frame or two. Wonder if it drops frames when the resolution drops.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Zero_epyon: The X1X went as low as 46fps. Its waaaay better than the base hardware performance though. The OG Xbox One is all over the place. I’m sure the PS4 isn’t doing much better.

AMD hosing console gamers confirmed. PC and hybrid owners with NVIDIA are the future!!1!

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5982 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

@Zero_epyon: The X1X went as low as 46fps. Its waaaay better than the base hardware performance though. The OG Xbox One is all over the place. I’m sure the PS4 isn’t doing much better.

AMD hosing console gamers confirmed. PC and hybrid owners with NVIDIA are the future!!1!

Xbox One X hits native 4k using dynamic resolution. Might just be blips below it better wait for DF to produce a comparison.

meanwhile PS4 Pro (advertised as a 4k console) never hits native 4k and drops to 960x2160.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Yg5klWemw

Looks like a pretty demanding game

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

TLHBO!

"? Bu...bu....bu...but teh Native Dynamic 4K!!!1"

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5982 Posts

@quadknight said:

TLHBO!

"? Bu...bu....bu...but teh Native Dynamic 4K!!!1"

Why would a developer running its game using dynamic resolution on a number of devices put the effort in to make a game non dynamic native 4k when they game hits native 4k using dynamic resolution.

sign of desperation there.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
Loading Video...

Xbox One X seldom hits 4K. @ronvalencia was wrong as always. This game uses dynamic scaling and stays mostly between 1728p to 2016p, rarely if ever hitting 4K. Doesn't match the Ultra PC version either.

Shadow quality is highest on PC. Xbox One X sits between PS4 Pro and PC. PS4 Pro is obviously last.

Ambient Occlusion looks worse than on PS4 Pro and PC but it's not a massive downgrade.

Draw distance is a bit higher on PC. Equal on PS4 Pro and X1X.

AF seems a bit higher on the new consoles but that is mostly attributed to higher resolution.

Neither games hold a locked 30fps but the dips are minor, high 20's at most.

Cut scenes are worse on all platforms but worst on consoles where they dip as low as the low 20's.

Trailer was native 4K on X1X. Not the case in the release product.

HDR patch on all platforms to go along with the release of the X1X version.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#222 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

No surprise to see AC: Origins struggles in 4K with the Xbox One X and framerate drops is a huge turn-off for me.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

19fps cut scene on Pro, a bit too cinematic already

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

I don't particulary care either way. Whatever the team decides, I'm going with that.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Zero_epyon

@goldenelementxl said:

Looking at the pro and x versions, I think the big dips are caused by loading the next section of game. At least it seems like that.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Tessellation

@Juub1990 said:

Xbox One X seldom hits 4K. @ronvalencia was wrong as always. This game uses dynamic scaling and stays mostly between 1728p to 2016p, rarely if ever hitting 4K. Doesn't match the Ultra PC version either.

Shadow quality is highest on PC. Xbox One X sits between PS4 Pro and PC. PS4 Pro is obviously last.

Ambient Occlusion looks worse than on PS4 Pro and PC but it's not a massive downgrade.

Draw distance is a bit higher on PC. Equal on PS4 Pro and X1X.

AF seems a bit higher on the new consoles but that is mostly attributed to higher resolution.

Neither games hold a locked 30fps but the dips are minor, high 20's at most.

Cut scenes are worse on all platforms but worst on consoles where they dip as low as the low 20's.

Trailer was native 4K on X1X. Not the case in the release product.

HDR patch on all platforms to go along with the release of the X1X version.

Why you don't add that ps4 version has lower resolution than the xb1x and never hits the 4k? and also you left out that xb1x has better shadows and textures.. cut scene run better on the x.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Zero_epyon

@Tessellation: At this point, does it really need to be said that Xbox One X hits resolutions higher than Pro? It's no mystery that X is more powerful. The issue is that the game doesn't hit 4K natively as often as it was implied by Ubisoft.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8160 Posts

@Juub1990: You forgot this bulletpoint:

* according to the video, the Xbox One X is achieving an increase in pixel count of 44%-96% over the PS4 Pro version, almost doubling the resolution in some cases..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Antwan3K

@Zero_epyon said:

@Tessellation: At this point, does it really need to be said that Xbox One X hits resolutions higher than Pro? It's no mystery that X is more powerful. The issue is that the game doesn't hit 4K natively as often as it was implied by Ubisoft.

lol so let me get this straight, differences in resolution aren't important enough to even be stated anymore?.. It was no mystery that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One but you didn't seem to have a problem with the constant talk of resolution for the last 3+ years so why the change of heart?.. now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's not even worth mentioning?..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@Antwan3K:

You need a chainsaw to cut through the hypocrisy since X1X these dayzzzz , They simply have no shame, no honor or sense of fair play but Eh, that's what they do best I guess. :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Antwan3K

@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

You need a chainsaw to cut through the hypocrisy since X1X these dayzzzz , They simply have no shame, no honor or sense of fair play but Eh, that's what they do best I guess. :P

it's hilarious dude.. hell, "it's no mystery" that a top-end PC is more powerful than the Xbox One X but that doesn't stop comparisons of resolution and performance between the two..

hypocrisy at it's best..

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Zero_epyon

@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

lol so let me get this straight, differences in resolution aren't important enough to even be stated anymore?.. It was no mystery that the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One but you didn't seem to have a problem with the constant talk of resolution for the last 3+ years so why the change of heart?.. now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's not even worth mentioning?..

Just like you said nothing like this about when Ron left out those framerate drops in the Gears 4 thread. It's expected though.

PS4 vs XBO's performance gap was much closer and less obvious than the gap between Pro and X. It would actually be news worthy if Pro is on par or better at resolution than X. Something that's sure to happen very, very, rarely. The test for the X is not just how it fairs against the Pro, but how close it gets to MS' vision for the box: A true 4K console.

Also I've been doing DF threads for a little over a year. You must have me confused with someone else?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Zero_epyon

@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

If MS announced the X as more powerful than the PS4 Pro and left it at that, then there would be no argument to be had. However, they went further and proclaimed to have a true 4k console and made some bold claims about its abilities. So far it wins against the pro except for a couple of extreme cases. Now it's about that True 4K claim...

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Tessellation
Loading Video...

Battlefront 2 PC vs Xbox One X
Looks like 1800p on the X.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Zero_epyon

@Tessellation said:

Battlefront 2 PC vs Xbox One X

Looks like 1800p on the X.

I wonder if that's a fixed 1800p or a scaling one?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Zero_epyon

@Antwan3K said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

it's hilarious dude.. hell, "it's no mystery" that a top-end PC is more powerful than the Xbox One X but that doesn't stop comparisons of resolution and performance between the two..

hypocrisy at it's best..

Lol wow. So we're just going to pretend that Ron hasn't been making 1070 comparisons threads for the last year?

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Tessellation

@Zero_epyon: PS4 pro is native 1440p. so that most be the native the resolution for the x too.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Zero_epyon

@Tessellation said:

@Zero_epyon: PS4 pro is native 1440p. so that most be the native the resolution for the x too.

Oh I thought that scaled too. Makes sense then.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Zero_epyon

I think this thread is big enough now. I'm going to put all of the videos on the front page.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Antwan3K

@Zero_epyon said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Just like you said nothing like this about when Ron left out those framerate drops in the Gears 4 thread. It's expected though.

PS4 vs XBO's performance gap was much closer and less obvious than the gap between Pro and X. It would actually be news worthy if Pro is on par or better at resolution than X. Something that's sure to happen very, very, rarely. The test for the X is not just how it fairs against the Pro, but how close it gets to MS' vision for the box: A true 4K console.

Also I've been doing DF threads for a little over a year. You must have me confused with someone else?

so basically because the Xbox One X is much more powerful than the PS4 Pro, comparisons between the two aren't worth mentioning?.. lol, wow.. the goal posts have been moved completely off the field at this point..

no dude, "MS' vision" has nothing to do with this other than a measure of damage control.. it's just a way for you and others to gloss over the massive 44%-96% difference in resolution between the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro in a game like AC: Origins in favor of "lolz teh 1070!!1" and/or "teh uncompromised 4K!!1!"..

so let me get this out the way now, we both know that 3rd parties can do whatever they want with the console.. Microsoft has been screaming this from the mountain tops ever since Project Scorpio was announced.. "MS' vision" was to lead the way with native 4K offerings from their 1st party games, illustrating that current-gen Xbox One games can indeed be upgraded to native 4K resolutions without compromising the established performance from base hardware.. essentially "uncompromised 4K".. and games like Gears of War 4 and Forza Motorsports 7 have done exactly that and I'd wager that Halo 5: Guardians and Halo Wars 2 will fall in that range as well.. And this is not to mention that some 3rd parties have stepped up to plate and delivered on "MS' vision" as well in the form of Rise of the Tomb Raider and LOTR: Shadow of War.. the hardware is clearly capable, it just depends on the wants, needs, and goals of the developer, just as Microsoft has been saying from the very beginning..

the bottomline being that Microsoft never said all 3rd party games will be native 4K.. so this fabricated "vision" you're referring to is just pure damage control..

so dude, just stop.. the hypocrisy on display here is has reached epic proportions.. "it's no mystery" the PS4 is more power than the Xbox One, yet resolution was a main point of discussion for the entirety of this generation thus far.. "it's no mystery" a top-end PC is more powerful than the Xbox One X, yet resolution and performance differences on display there are discussed here daily.. but since "it's no mystery" that the Xbox One X is more powerful than the PS4 Pro, there's no need to talk about those differences?.. please..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@Antwan3K:

He's either playing real dumb like so many these dayzzz and or it's like this...

Likely wasting your breath aka key strokes my friend.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#242 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts
Loading Video...

- both Pro and X1X have dynamic scaling. X1X hovers mostly around 1700p to 1800p. Can go up to 2016p. Pro hovers around 1440p to max. 1584p

- Absolute minimum on Pro is 1350p vs 1656p on X1X

- Some basic assets identical between all platforms

- Shadow resolution up close is same, they have slightly longer draw distance than Pro

- Pro and X1X have the same draw distance for the world.

- game is 30fps on X1X and Pro and performance are very similar on both platforms during gameplay. Cut-scenes not locked to 30 (22 on Pro and 26 on X1X)

- True 4k ONLY on PC

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Zero_epyon

@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:

so basically because the Xbox One X is much more powerful than the PS4 Pro, comparisons between the two aren't worth mentioning?.. lol, wow.. the goal posts have been moved completely off the field at this point..

no dude, "MS' vision" has nothing to do with this other than a measure of damage control.. it's just a way for you and others to gloss over the massive 44%-96% difference in resolution between the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro in a game like AC: Origins in favor of "lolz teh 1070!!1" and/or "teh uncompromised 4K!!1!"..

so let me get this out the way now, we both know that 3rd parties can do whatever they want with the console.. Microsoft has been screaming this from the mountain tops ever since Project Scorpio was announced.. "MS' vision" was to lead the way with native 4K offerings from their 1st party games, illustrating that current-gen Xbox One games can indeed be upgraded to native 4K resolutions without compromising the established performance from base hardware.. essentially "uncompromised 4K".. and games like Gears of War 4 and Forza Motorsports 7 have done exactly that and I'd wager that Halo 5: Guardians and Halo Wars 2 will fall in that range as well.. And this is not to mention that some 3rd parties have stepped up to plate and delivered on "MS' vision" as well in the form of Rise of the Tomb Raider and LOTR: Shadow of War.. the hardware is clearly capable, it just depends on the wants, needs, and goals of the developer, just as Microsoft has been saying from the very beginning..

the bottomline being that Microsoft never said all 3rd party games will be native 4K.. so this fabricated "vision" you're referring to is just pure damage control..

so dude, just stop.. the hypocrisy on display here is has reached epic proportions.. "it's no mystery" the PS4 is more power than the Xbox One, yet resolution was a main point of discussion for the entirety of this generation thus far.. "it's no mystery" a top-end PC is more powerful than the Xbox One X, yet resolution and performance differences on display there are discussed here daily.. but since "it's no mystery" that the Xbox One X is more powerful than the PS4 Pro, there's no need to talk about those differences?.. please..

Ugh...

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Antwan3K

@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

He's either playing real dumb like so many these dayzzz and or it's like this...

Likely wasting your breath aka key strokes my friend.

yea, essentially the new goal post is "we can't bash the Xbox One X in a head-to-head versus the PS4 Pro, so let's pretend Microsoft said every 3rd party game will be running at native 4K and bash it for that"..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Antwan3K

@Zero_epyon said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

If MS announced the X as more powerful than the PS4 Pro and left it at that, then there would be no argument to be had. However, they went further and proclaimed to have a true 4k console and made some bold claims about its abilities. So far it wins against the pro except for a couple of extreme cases. Now it's about that True 4K claim...

Out of curiosity, can you please tell me exactly what Microsoft claimed the console would be capable of doing along with the official definition of "True 4K"?.. now after that, please illustrate where they have fallen short and why this warrants a continued discussion..

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#246  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

Out of curiosity, can you please tell me exactly what Microsoft claimed the console would be capable of doing along with the official definition of "True 4K"?.. now after that, please illustrate where they have fallen short and why this warrants a continued discussion..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Phil Spencer: I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

He clearly mentioned ( and at the same time bashing a Pro ) that any game will be a 4k on X1X, will be A NATIVE 4K and it won't use any dynamic 4k or checkerboard 4k techniques to reach 4k resolution like the Pro is doing often.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
@Desmonic said:

I don't particulary care either way. Whatever the team decides, I'm going with that.

I wasn't convinced by the need for this, thought it was daft tbh. After reading the posts in this thread, I'm all for "yup lets keep it here". Christ on a bike.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Antwan3K

@mowgly1 said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Phil Spencer: I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

He clearly mentioned ( and at the same time bashing a Pro ) that any game that will be a 4k on X1X, will be A NATIVE 4K and it won't use any dynamic 4k or checkerboard 4k techniques to reach 4k resolution.

he didn't say that.. nowhere in that quote does he say "any game that will be 4K on Xbox One X will be native 4K".. as a matter of fact, the word "native" isn't mentioned anywhere in that quote.. if anything, he was likely eluding the fact that 1st party offerings on the PS4 Pro are using checkerboarding techniques while Microsoft's 1st party offerings on Xbox One X are native 4K.. in either case, he never said all 3rd party games on Xbox One X will be native 4K..

and for reference, here is their official definition of "4K Ultra HD":

"A game has a 2160p frame buffer output. That includes Native 4K, Checkerboarding, and Dynamic Resolution" - link: https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/new-packaging-icons-xbox/

So, looking at the above definition of 4K Ultra HD, how has the Xbox One X fallen short in that regard?..

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Zero_epyon

@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

First, quote me where I've said "Xbox One X and MS have fallen short on xyz."

Second, MS promised VR support, 60fps, True 4K (which a year later it defined as Checkerboard, Dynamic and Native 4K), games running 1080p on Xbox One will be scaled to 4K after patch with the same framerates, native 4K on ALL first party exclusives, and a 40% increase in performance over the PS4 Pro.

So far they've backed off of the VR support, some games do offer performance modes that target 60fps, Some games do run at native 4K, but the majority do not (but still counts because of that True 4K definition) and they've clearly released a console 40% more poweful than pro.

What's left is to see how many of those titles actually hit native 4K, can they really deliver 4K native on all 1080p first party games, and can they continue that trend going forward with this box.

I'd say that's discussion worthy.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Antwan3K

@Zero_epyon said:
@Antwan3K said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Antwan3K:

First, quote me where I've said "Xbox One X and MS have fallen short on xyz."

Second, MS promised VR support, 60fps, True 4K (which a year later it defined as Checkerboard, Dynamic and Native 4K), games running 1080p on Xbox One will be scaled to 4K after patch with the same framerates, native 4K on ALL first party exclusives, and a 40% increase in performance over the PS4 Pro.

So far they've backed off of the VR support, some games do offer performance modes that target 60fps, Some games do run at native 4K, but the majority do not (but still counts because of that True 4K definition) and they've clearly released a console 40% more poweful than pro.

What's left is to see how many of those titles actually hit native 4K, can they really deliver 4K native on all 1080p first party games, and can they continue that trend going forward with this box.

I'd say that's discussion worthy.

VR support is rumored to still be in the works for 2018 i believe..

as far as the other stuff, it all falls under the umbrella of their definition of "True 4K" and those qualifiers have obviously been met.. so trying to "see how many of those titles actually hit native 4K" is just a goal post move and damage control tactic.. it's a fabricated ideal that only serves as a distraction/deflection tactic to pull attention away from head-to-head PS4 Pro comparison results..

the fact that you think a 44%-96% difference in resolution isn't a "discussion worthy" topic in comparison to whether or not a game hits this fabricated native 4K goal of yours is evidence enough of why you and some others want to continue with this fake narrative..