Digital Foundry: PS4 Pro hands on impressions

• 146 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I won't editorialize it. Here you go SW. Time for the battle thread of threads!

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@sts106mat said:

Does it have a 4k bluray player?

Nope

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Damn it! You beat me by minutes!

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

I'm liking the idea of devs giving gamers graphical modes to choose from like what Crystal Dynamics is doing with Tomb Raider.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@chikenfriedrice: ok i can live without that for a while.....most importantly......

Does it have a light up controller?

Yes, and now there is a slit in the touchpad where you can see it even better.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shewgenja

I was actually in before lems started talking about things other than games. Seems like you have to start a topic for that to happen these days. Lol

Yeah, the different modes do interest me. I am slowly warming to this thing but its still not a day 1 buy for me.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@emgesp said:

I'm liking the idea of devs giving gamers graphical modes to choose from like what Crystal Dynamics is doing with Tomb Raider.

I don't know why anyone expected different. The issue with the pro is, since most people use TVs for their console, is the options on TV are 1080p or 4k. nothing in between. the pro will be great for 1080p, but doesn't do 4k. On PC lots of PC gamers use 1440p monitors where the pro would fit perfect. They should have given it more power, 4k is finally starting to become widely adapted as decent 4k TVs can be found for around 500 bucks and even a good one for around 1000. They aren't 5k+ anymore in price. My first 4k TV was 3k back in 2014. My new one i got a few months ago was only 1000. Both good samsung TVs. The pro won't take advanatge of it. I could see soony starting a new gen in 3 years with a PS5 now, as the neo is in a weird spot. the scorpio is the clear 4k console, the S is the best budget console, and the PS4S and Pro are in a weird middle spot. At the start of the gen, PS4 was the best budget and 1080p console. Now it's got neither

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Sounds good

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shewgenja

@sts106mat said:

@darkangel115: the price is lower because no one is buying them.

I read today that there are about 2 million homes worldwide with 4k tvs. (Eurogamer or ign)

Maybe in about 10 years they will be common. Most people are nowhere near ready for it.

It's actually cheaper to manufacture a flatscreen TV than it was to manufacture CRTs. So, you're pretty correct, but they still fetch a premium price in the end due to marketing. I was impressed by Sony saying that color formats are still in flux currently for 4K screens. Half the problem with adoption is that people got used to how powerful the 1080p TVs got and the specifications for 4K TVs (outside of the obvious resolution difference) is less than compelling.

A true 120Hz 4k TV is stupid expensive right now. Compared to a comparable gaming oriented 1080p tv, the cost is enormous. They will need to catch up in order to catch on. It looks like they are taking the tech in that direction, but it has not been an elegant process.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@Shewgenja: Quit making threads.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shewgenja

@primorandomguy said:

Now you're salty that DF likes the thing?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zero_epyon
@primorandomguy said:

lol why?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@primorandomguy said:

LOL wut? Did we watch two different videos? Rich enjoyed the console show.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think the devs who are allowing the user to choose settings are being smart here

It sounds like the actual product is pretty good - tangible visual upgrade - it is a shame that we can't really see and appreciate the whizbangs here on our end until we can see in person

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Shewgenja: Aww, dangit. Beat me to it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I think the devs who are allowing the user to choose settings are being smart here

It sounds like the actual product is pretty good - tangible visual upgrade - it is a shame that we can't really see and appreciate the whizbangs here on our end until we can see in person

I agree, it's all about that up close and personal experience as youtube streaming and whatnot isn't impressive.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Pro console for the finicky professional gamer. Like it. Must have.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

Read the article this morning. Good stuff.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

TL;DW:

• PS4P is worth it, and pushes above its weight
  • Sony didn't do a good job of showing it off, it's hard to
  • 4K sets with HDR are a must to take best advantage
  • 4K player being absent is a con
  • You need to see it in person to appreciate
  • Good value

Take it as you will.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@sts106mat said:

@darkangel115: the price is lower because no one is buying them.

I read today that there are about 2 million homes worldwide with 4k tvs. (Eurogamer or ign)

Maybe in about 10 years they will be common. Most people are nowhere near ready for it.

It's actually cheaper to manufacture a flatscreen TV than it was to manufacture CRTs. So, you're pretty correct, but they still fetch a premium price in the end due to marketing. I was impressed by Sony saying that color formats are still in flux currently for 4K screens. Half the problem with adoption is that people got used to how powerful the 1080p TVs got and the specifications for 4K TVs (outside of the obvious resolution difference) is less than compelling.

A true 120Hz 4k TV is stupid expensive right now. Compared to a comparable gaming oriented 1080p tv, the cost is enormous. They will need to catch up in order to catch on. It looks like they are taking the tech in that direction, but it has not been an elegant process.

http://4k.com/news/4k-tv-sales-to-surpass-100-million-units-by-2018-5948/

4k will be the standard before another console comes out.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@primorandomguy said:

Well, it wasnt a Likes/Dislikes kind of video.

They were discussing the capabilities and upgrades over PS4

They were excited about the possibilites, I dont think there was any chance of them bashing the thing.

Its not what they do.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Their meeting sucked so bad, so it seems that I'll have to see it in person to actually give it a try and take that sour taste I have off from what I've seen. And hopefully they do PSVR demos with Pro so I can make up my mind.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@darkangel115: My first 4k TV was 3k back in 2014. My new one i got a few months ago was only 1000.

I got my first this year. Vizio for $800 and since I have my X1S I have seen a difference in the 4k shows it streams but like I always said Its not so huge to me. But I'll still play the game on SW and rag on cows and the PS4Poo

@sts106mat said:

@emgesp: great. I hate the light on the x1 controller i taped over it cause its so bright. I wish there was an option to that and the ds4 light off.. Both are stupid for reasons of their own....

.at least the 360 controllers light had a purpose.....i have seen lower powered lights from led torches than the x1's light.....what were they thinking?

Not an issue here. I use an Elite and I can adjust the light to my liking. Even the reg X1 controller didn't bother me. I like a dark room but I don't game in the artic winter.

@emgesp said:

Yeah that's a cool thing. PC elite will say "been on PC foreva" but its still nice to see for consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68

@Desmonic said:

TL;DW:

• Good value

Take it as you will.

Outstanding unbiased remarks about the first professional console of the gen, the PS4 Pro.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Does it have 4K blu ray player ? nope

Can you turn off the battery sucking light on the controller ? nope

Does it have external storage support for games ? nope

I´ll pass.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@sts106mat said:

@darkangel115: the price is lower because no one is buying them. They are not widely adopted. I dont think i have even seen a 4k bluray disc on sale in the uk. Most blurays arent 3d now as that fad seems to be dying

I wouldn't even say its a matter of not yet ready. My brother has seen what the 4k Netflix looks like on my TV now and he admits it is crisper and more defined. But he also says, so what? I think many people are just content with 1080p. It is a clear, good picture. Hell I'll play on 480p with my neighbor on the Wii. It looks great but in reality (not SW) it's not important.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@sts106mat said:

@darkangel115: the price is lower because no one is buying them. They are not widely adopted. I dont think i have even seen a 4k bluray disc on sale in the uk. Most blurays arent 3d now as that fad seems to be dying

I wouldn't even say its a matter of not yet ready. My brother has seen what the 4k Netflix looks like on my TV now and he admits it is crisper and more defined. But he also says, so what? I think many people are just content with 1080p. It is a clear, good picture. Hell I'll play on 480p with my neighbor on the Wii. It looks great but in reality (not SW) it's not important.

If you got a good 4k tv, I can't imagine streaming content. I mean, not shit i care about. Movies and good shows, I gotta have the disc...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zero_epyon

@Desmonic said:

TL;DW:

• Good value

Take it as you will.

Yeah and that's what I figured. Might wait until there's a demo station at best buy.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:
@sts106mat said:

Does it have a 4k bluray player?

Nope

Horseshit Sony. Why the hell make a 4k focused device and not be able to play the only 4k media that matters?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

If you know Digital Foundry then you already know they want to have Sony's baby and utterly despise the Xbox One. Can you guess what they'll say about the PS4 Pro?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@sts106mat said:

Yeh the 4K netflix does look better than the HD one for sure, but it's not worlds apart and I'm not sure I'd even bother paying for the 4k sub over normal one, my account just seems to be stuck on the 4k sub at standard price since I got to try the 4K with no charge for a month, not one to complain. That being said you do require a proper internet connection for 4K streaming, the netflix 4k is surprisingly high bitrate stuff so 30mbit+ dl is must.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cainetao11

@Chutebox: Fair enough dude. i have a bunch of blu rays and even HD DVDswhen it was discontinued so ppl were selling good flix for like $.50

But like my stance on wanting BC, I want space in my home. I want to build a game room and of course dedicate space, but if I can stream Justified or GoT then **** physical media.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Honestly' I'm shocked that these devices wil be doing 1800p.

But then I remember this means that the fidelity/graphics settings of the games will barely be higher... and probably 30FPS... again...

Would of rathered them forget about 4k for now, and get their damn games sufficient at 1080p/60fps/better graphics.

this was not a good choice... other than for Sony pushing TVs... f*cking stupid.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cainetao11

@howmakewood: Yep. I have until September 23 on my free month of 4K. Its only like $3more/month so I'll do it because unless Sony starts putting out a must play online game like Halo 5 or Gears, I'll be dropping PS+

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#39 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Shewgenja:

Does it run on native 4k resolution?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68

@cainetao11 said:

@howmakewood: Yep. I have until September 23 on my free month of 4K. Its only like $3more/month so I'll do it because unless Sony starts putting out a must play online game like Halo 5 or Gears, I'll be dropping PS+

awwww, no Alienation with me and @getyeryayasout....

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Desmonic said:

TL;DW:

• Good value

Take it as you will.

Excellent Post! @charizard1605 must be smiling somewhere.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@sts106mat said:

Nah, 4K/UHD TV's are pretty much the norm now - at least for anyone buying new TV's. It will be a long time before the "total market penetration" hits 50% - but at the same time, it probably won't be that long before you can't even find 1080p TV's in stores or online anymore.

UHD disc also hasn't been out that long, but I've seen them on display at all the usual suspects in the States. Best Buy even has a special rack for them - but as they just came out there's only about 30-50 different movies at Best Buy (and the total overall catalog is probably just about getting past 100).

It might be a few years before we start seeing 4K cable channels though, but you can already stream 4K content on Netflix and other outfits.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Good hardware but too bad it's not a true real 4K UHD machine. If 4K streaming and digital impresses people, imagine viewing content from a real 4K machine with UHD drive like the Xbox One S. I guess PlayStation could just fake it till they make it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zero_epyon

@joebones5000 said:

It's weaker than an r9 280x. That won't even play the Witcher 3 @ 1080p/60 with high settings. Ouch

The GPU is based on Polaris. Polaris GPU's are better than the R9 200 series GPUs. It's more comparable to the RX470-80.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

I still love the price....can't really grumble at that... $100 for the double the GPU power...... Show me a single PC GPU that offers that upgrade for so little.

And you have no chance of building a PC with that spec for the same money either.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@joebones5000 said:

It's weaker than an r9 280x. That won't even play the Witcher 3 @ 1080p/60 with high settings. Ouch

The GPU is based on Polaris. Polaris GPU's are better than the R9 200 series GPUs. It's more comparable to the RX470-80.

470 would be more accurate

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

@2Chalupas: Maybe a third of new tv purchases are 4k.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cainetao11

@Heil68 said:
@cainetao11 said:

awwww, no Alienation with me and @getyeryayasout....

LOL Sep 23 is the end of my free UHD Netflix trial. I'm good on PS+ until like May 2017 brohamacles. But unless the network or games improve, I wont care for PS+ anymore after.