Digital Foundry Analysis BF4 (PS4 vs Xbone)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

ITS OFFICIAL lems, you guys get the worst out of the nextgen versions.

The domination has won.

DIGITAL FOUNDRY admits messing up with their video footage: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87920080&postcount=1

The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JF used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best.

UPDATE: Nice video comparing both versions since the DF comparison vid is crap...

Gamespot 60fps Nextgen consoles and PC gameplay: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/batt.../1900-6415517/

Ron and those claiming that Xbone version of multiplats would look the same have been owned.

Good luck guys, the next 10 years are gonna be rough.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Gaf went down due this and all BF4 related news. =(

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

RIP XBone. We never really got to know you. LOL

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

Needless to say, there are some basic differences in image quality that need knocking on the head right away. Chief among them is the hot topic of internal resolution, where we determine that the Xbox One code is indeed running at 1280x720. If this is set in stone for release - as is likely - the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases. On the other hand, the PS4 version delivers a whopping 1600x900 resolution in all modes, giving it a 50 per cent lead in output pixels overall. As well as cutting down on jagged edges, this reduces the amount of pixel shimmer we see in motion on complex shaders or thin geometry, with distant power lines, scaffolding and other elements with sub-pixel elements creating unwanted flickering on Xbox One.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-vs-pc-face-off-preview

The domination has won.

Ron and those claiming that Xbone version of multiplats would look the same have been owned.

lol you mean like how rough it was for the PS3. You guys didn't seem to mind.

EDIT: Oh and the X1 version looks better in the comparison video.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_can_haz

@percech: Dat terrible damage control.

I can't wait for the COD comparison.

"b..bu..but they are rumors!"

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 percech

@I_can_haz said:

Go look at the video. PS4 version has washed out colors...again you guys will be dealing with dull colors.

SuperClocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperClocks
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts

Microsoft needs to drop the price of the XB1 asap. I'm definitely getting the PS4 for now. Also, I lol'ed that the "whopping 1600x900 resolution." I haven't played a game at that low of a resolution in years...

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Giancar

Teh SonyGaf

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Check this bit out

"What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process. Whether this is part of Microsoft's new upscaling tech remains to be seen, but we were reminded of the Medal of Honor effect seen in the Darbee Darblet review."

So its not all bad news for the X1....except for the Sony fans who only know how to read bad news about the X1.

ManInFlames-77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 ManInFlames-77
Member since 2013 • 300 Posts

Preorder canceled

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 percech

@Crypt_mx said:

Check this bit out

"What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process. Whether this is part of Microsoft's new upscaling tech remains to be seen, but we were reminded of the Medal of Honor effect seen in the Darbee Darblet review."

So its not all bad news for the X1....except for the Sony fans who only know how to read bad news about the X1.

Well you can easily tell by the comparison video, but the tards are just gonna look at numbers.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

''But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process.''

gotta love the cherry picking parts of the preview article.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 I_can_haz

@percech said:

@I_can_haz said:

Go look at the video. PS4 version has washed out colors...again you guys will be dealing with dull colors.

900p > 720p. #DEALWITHIT

the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases

LMAO!

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

@Crypt_mx said:

Check this bit out

Gee I wonder why the TC didn't mention this...

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 percech

@I_can_haz said:

@percech said:

@I_can_haz said:

900p > 720p. #DEALWITHIT

the Microsoft version is poised to give us the most aliasing of the two next-gen platforms by a noticeable degree, and is only a stone's throw from the sub-720p resolutions of current-gen releases

LMAO!

Looks like someone didn't read the article.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I actually think the XB1 version is sharper in these captures...but that may be due to it's low-gamma setting giving it a lower contrast.

The XB1 version is 720p and still loaded with jaggies though.

No MP for the XB1 was on show though? That's not a good sign.

I'd say the XB1 SP isn't THAT bad looking to be totally honest.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

'Next-gen' consoles can't do 1080p Battlefield.

lawl.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

While they both looked like ass, xbone version looks better in some areas. Scaler chip secret sauce?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Giancar said:

Teh SonyGaf

Teh Cry Moar

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tessellation

@SonofK said:

@Crypt_mx said:

Check this bit out

Gee I wonder why the TC didn't mention this...

upset bandodgers always do that,dat tears incoming

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 percech

This is hilarious, the textures and colors look sharper on the XONE version. What's going on PS4? Why so useless?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#23 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Tables have certainly shifted this generation. Multiplats matter now when exclusives lack.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

Nevermind... i Just saw this XB1 capture...

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

The domination has won.

Oh I think you're missing a ton of quotes my friend, lol

"This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image. "

"What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4."

The footage shown looks almost identical. The difference between them is a joke. Cows, look at the posts going around the other forums. A number of people are saying the One's version looks better, while many more are very surprised how good the one's version looks. Ive said it before and I will say it again, if the difference between the multiplats graphics are like this, I'll gladly take the Xbox One and its features and leave you guys the so called graphics crown. The Xbox version looks great.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_can_haz

@shawn30: CRY MOAR

Having moved ahead in terms of image quality, there's no doubt that Sony's new platform comes out on top overall in the performance metrics too. This is best demonstrated in matching sequences, such as a cut-scene on a Shanghai river where it commands a constant 2-4fps lead, and likewise during the tearing apart of a battleship. In terms of gameplay, the gap widens further during the cannister explosion on the Fishing in Baku stage, with a disparity at well above these numbers - the PS4 regaining 60fps much faster than the fluctuating Xbox One code. We see occasional XO wins in like-for-like testing too, but in our single-player tests, it is clearly the PS4 code that is in the ascendant.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Tessellation said:

''But the differences we saw don't just stop at resolution. Both versions are treated to post-processing anti-aliasing too, seemingly equivalent to the refined, high setting on PC. However, this doesn't tell the whole story. As you may notice in our screengrabs, the actual results on PS4 lack the corresponding level of crystal clarity we'd expect of such a significant resolution boost. This should surely be a home run for Sony's console, but what is likely to be a software-based upscale to 1080p delivers less-than-stellar returns, and for better or worse leaves the Xbox One with an often crisper looking, albeit much more aliased image.

What is curious is the level of "pop" given to the Xbox One's textures, where - bizarrely - artwork often seems to be more detailed than on PlayStation 4. In high contrast scenes, we sometimes see a kind of halo effect around some detail, which may suggest some kind of artificial detail-boosting post-process.''

gotta love the cherry picking parts of the preview article.

Another back fire thread for Sony Fan.

Yeah it is 1080p but looks worse than the 720p of the One.

Hahahahahahaha!

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By I_can_haz

@kuu2: FAIL. They declared the PS4 version better. PS4 version runs better too with the Xbone version suffering frame rate issues in certain instances lol:

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shawn30

@Couth_ said:

While they both looked like ass, xbone version looks better in some areas. Scaler chip secret sauce?

All BS aside, I cannot tell the difference between them. And to be honest to me the Xbox version looks better. More pics please!

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Interesting...

After watching the comparison video in 1080p, I did indeed notice more aliasing in the Xbox One version, with the PS4 having a bit smoother appearance. However, the detail and color richness seemed much better in the Xbox One version. In comparison, the PS4 version appeared almost unfocused and/or washed out.

Anyone else notice this?

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shawn30

@I_can_haz said:

@kuu2: FAIL. They declared the PS4 version better. PS4 version runs better too with the Xbone version suffering frame rate issues in certain instances lol:

:) Tears are a joke pal. Cows were expecting a slam dunk obvious victory and its minimal at that, with a number of people saying they feel the Xbox version looks better. If this is all the difference we'll see between the consoles, I'm very pleased with what the One can do. Its killing you isn't it that the difference isn't great at all :) that side by side photyos and video tell a far different story than cows have preached all day long. This is hilarious.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By I_can_haz

Lem denial is strong. Look at all the jags and framerate drops on XB1 version lol.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

LOL, PS4 destroys xbone!!! 720p is just pitiful for nextgen lol

And it seems lems don't understand contrast.haha

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Looks like the gamma on the X1 is the same as the 360... Blacks get crushed, and just makes things too dark in the end when actually playing on a TV. Sucks that neither version is 1080p.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shawn30

@I_can_haz said:

Lem denial is strong. Look at all the jags and framerate drops on XB1 version lol.

lol keep trying dude. The point has always been how great would the difference be. And to quote again the article of the people who have played the game

"On the merits of what we've seen so far, Battlefield 4 is already set to be a formidable launch window effort from DICE. Our observations so far reveal a clear gap in fidelity between PC and PS4, and again to Xbox One, but sub-pixel break-up aside, based on what we've seen so far, the Microsoft console manages to hold up despite the undeniable, quantifiably worse metrics in terms of both resolution and frame-rate."

I'll take the One's version just fine, graphically. In some places it clearly looks superior to the PS4. Overall framerate wise the PS4 wins, but even then its only in certain sections. There is nothing even remotely close to 50% graphics here. more like 15% :)

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Giancar

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Tables have certainly shifted this generation. Multiplats matter now when exclusives lack.

The whole library counts. I wouldn't worry about PS4 exclusives. There will be a lot of those with great quality too.

Xbone has a better launch lineup though, that´s the price Sony pays for caking up 3 systems at the same time. But I agree with you in one point: This gen PS fanboys will love technical analysis sites, while Bones fanboys will hate it.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

lol

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

X1 vs PC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9RCbkZc7w

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Bruin1986 said:

Interesting...

After watching the comparison video in 1080p, I did indeed notice more aliasing in the Xbox One version, with the PS4 having a bit smoother appearance. However, the detail and color richness seemed much better in the Xbox One version. In comparison, the PS4 version appeared almost unfocused and/or washed out.

Anyone else notice this?

I also noticed this as well as things in the distance being blurred or covered in more fog. I am telling you the PS4 is not as powerful as some were led to believe.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shawn30

@killzowned24 said:

lol

Well that didn't work out at all, lol

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 I_can_haz

@killzowned24:

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

@shawn30: just stop dude, you're trying too hard.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tessellation

dat cherry picking yo,the upset bandodgers way

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By I_can_haz

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

As can be seen from the two videos. The Xbone version has darker gamma giving the impression that it has sharper textures in the youtube low quality compression videos when in actuality it doesn't. The youtube capture gives the impression that Xbone version is sharper than the PC version while anybody that has a brain knows this isn't the case. Same thing is going on in the PS4 videos. Those with a sharp eye will notice the increased aliasing on the XBone captures though.

Sorry lems, you lose this gen's multiplat graphics war. All for that $100 extra for Kinect and apps behind pay walls..

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

as usual, they had to jack up the resolution on the ps4 to make up for the framerate and color problems. looks like i'll pick up the superior version on the Xbox One.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Lems must hand over shoe laces...

.....just as a precaution.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shawn30

@NineTailedGoku said:

@shawn30: just stop dude, you're trying too hard.

pics and videos are out. difference is minimal at best. It is what it is. Damage control ain't helping you guys, lol.

ManInFlames-77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 ManInFlames-77
Member since 2013 • 300 Posts

Im lovin the desperation from the lems

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Giancar

Dun Dun durun dunnnn

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

As can be seen from the two videos. The Xbone version has darker gamma giving the impression that it has sharper textures int he youtube video when in actuality it doesn't. The youtube capture gives the impression that Xbone version is sharper than the PC version while anybody that has a brain knows this isn't the case

Sorry lems, you lose this gen's multiplat graphics war. All for that $100 extra for Kinect and apps behind pay walls..

After having watched the PC version I believe this is the case.. Also is that even the ULTRA for the PC. It looked exactly like the PS4 version