DICE Producer Thinks Sandbox Games are Boring

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Article

DICE Producer Patrick Bach has just revealed that Battlefield 3's campaign will be more tightly-scripted rather than the sandbox ztyle their Bad Company games had.

In an interview with EDGE, Bach said "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all" Bach continued, "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."

While some people might automatically cite the Grand Theft Auto series as a prime contradiction of what Bach said, keep in mind that this is a different genre altogether. Come to think of it, do all games need the sandbox treatment? It makes sense for action and adventure games, but won't first-person shooters have a hard time building tension and displaying their set-pieces in a sandbox environment?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

ehhh so? he's a gamer and thats his taste, i prefer open sandbox worlds. its all good

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Just show us the PC muitplayer Dice!
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
Bad Company 2 had no sandbox style like the first Bad Company game, I liked the BFBC campaign more than BFBC2's campaign, BFBC2 was linear and short, if BF3 is going to be even "tighter", I take it that means a 3 hour campaign since short campaigns appears to be fashionable these days.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

He should play Just Cause 2.

wisebandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 wisebandit
Member since 2003 • 300 Posts

Does not matter...

I will play games until death separate me from life...

me_rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 me_rock
Member since 2004 • 2462 Posts

JLF1

What I was thinking.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

For the most part they are. The best sandbox games still have linear missions. Name a GTA which gives you the ability to completely bypass mission objectives or use several methods to complete a single objective that don't involve killing everybody? You can't. Rockstar knows that pure sandbox gameplay is not good, it needs to be structured. In chase sequences the cars on the road are choreographed to make it more challenging and memorable. It works extremely well but it's far from sandbox.

If you were to make BF3 a sandbox it would involve you walking around base until you get a mission. THey could take the Far Cry 2 route, remember how that worked? The developers knew that driving from point a to point b throughout the entire game just to do really linear missions, like go here and kill that guy, would be a drag so they had to put those blasted checkpoints everywhere to keep the pace up.

Even ArmA 2, which is a pure open world, still relies upon mission to mission gameplay in a linear fasion. They do it very well, missions and objectives build upon each other and effect the next missions in the sequence. BF3 could have that, but this route is even more difficult to control the exact experiance that the player will have.

Sandbox gameplay is only good when the developer realizes that you need to mix linear missions with the free roam. Look at Minecraft. It's the most sandbox game ever. Many people love it, many people don't see the point. The community is far to polarized. Without clear objectives Minecraft can quickly become dull and repetitive for somebody who doesn't want to spend a lot of time coming up with their own things to do.

There is nothing wrong with a linear game, nothing wrong at all. He may find sandbox gameplay boring. Making BF3 a sandbox or open world like Crysis 1 or Far Cry would also be much more difficult in terms of design. Everybody complains at how glitchy the AI in Crysis 1 and 2 and how extremely OP they were in Far Cry. This was because the AI is actually programmed to act in an open world enviroment. As you can tell, this is not easy to do by design at all. It's far easier to go with linear levels where the AI really only needs to know how to beat the player, not search for them and act human.

tl;dr

Sandbox gameplay is overrated and is only good in certain situations by the right developers. Linear gameplay is absolutly fine as long as the gameplay value is there.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="JLF1"]

me_rock

What I was thinking.

Just Cause 2 is sandbox but it relies purely on its over-the-top approach to everything. The linear, scripted missions are the best part of the game as they are extremely fun and break up the monotony of going to a small village and wiping out all of the enemies, rinse and repeat. Remember, not all of us find endless entertainment killing civilians in crazy ways with all of the wacky stuff you can do in a game.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
The campaign is going to be a COD clone then
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts
I think most sand box games are boring, so I agree with him for the most part.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Many of them are. Mafia 2 and RDR come to mind. RPG sandboxy games (like Fallout 3/New Vegas) break the mold because exploration is actually rewarding to your character, instead of just giving you repetetive mission types and worthless collectibles. I see no need for sandboxy type FPS's.

Oh and the Bad Company campaigns were sandboxy??? What the hell

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

For the most part they are. The best sandbox games still have linear missions. Name a GTA which gives you the ability to completely bypass mission objectives or use several methods to complete a single objective that don't involve killing everybody? You can't. Rockstar knows that pure sandbox gameplay is not good, it needs to be structured. In chase sequences the cars on the road are choreographed to make it more challenging and memorable. It works extremely well but it's far from sandbox.

If you were to make BF3 a sandbox it would involve you walking around base until you get a mission. THey could take the Far Cry 2 route, remember how that worked? The developers knew that driving from point a to point b throughout the entire game just to do really linear missions, like go here and kill that guy, would be a drag so they had to put those blasted checkpoints everywhere to keep the pace up.

Even ArmA 2, which is a pure open world, still relies upon mission to mission gameplay in a linear fasion. They do it very well, missions and objectives build upon each other and effect the next missions in the sequence. BF3 could have that, but this route is even more difficult to control the exact experiance that the player will have.

Sandbox gameplay is only good when the developer realizes that you need to mix linear missions with the free roam. Look at Minecraft. It's the most sandbox game ever. Many people love it, many people don't see the point. The community is far to polarized. Without clear objectives Minecraft can quickly become dull and repetitive for somebody who doesn't want to spend a lot of time coming up with their own things to do.

There is nothing wrong with a linear game, nothing wrong at all. He may find sandbox gameplay boring. Making BF3 a sandbox or open world like Crysis 1 or Far Cry would also be much more difficult in terms of design. Everybody complains at how glitchy the AI in Crysis 1 and 2 and how extremely OP they were in Far Cry. This was because the AI is actually programmed to act in an open world enviroment. As you can tell, this is not easy to do by design at all. It's far easier to go with linear levels where the AI really only needs to know how to beat the player, not search for them and act human.

tl;dr

Sandbox gameplay is overrated and is only good in certain situations by the right developers. Linear gameplay is absolutly fine as long as the gameplay value is there.

Wasdie
umm there are several missions that allow you to do ridiculous things in gta, i remember at one point i flew in a helicopter over the people it wanted me to kill, crashed into the end area, picked w/e it was i need up, and flew out, and its like get to this area and people are chasing you!, so i flew to a bridge and watched everyone drive off the side of it.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Many of them are. Mafia 2 and RDR come to mind. RPG sandboxy games (like Fallout 3/New Vegas) break the mold because exploration is actually rewarding to your character, instead of just giving you repetetive mission types and worthless collectibles. I see no need for sandboxy type FPS's.

Oh and the Bad Company campaigns were sandboxy??? What the hell

h575309
i think open world and sandbox are becoming differient terms, like GTA is an open world sand box, but games like halo, crysis, bc are considered sandboxes, while they aren't open world, the level design is big enough that enemies aren't being bottle necked in front of you
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I agree they can be boring...so much time taking care of meaningless tasks and driving

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Well, that's like his opinion.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

It seens that he just complains that those kinds of games don't sell.

dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
if he's going by fallout and oblivion then yes they are.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

open worlds can be pretty boring at times .

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

BF3 consolized confirmed.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

Does not matter...

I will play games until death separate me from life...

wisebandit

*thumbs up*

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I agree. While it's nice to have a open world to roam and explore in, it's not fun for me to have to create my own entertainment; that's the developer's job.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Wasdie

I disagree. The main story is linear (of course) but for the most part you can do missions in any order, and in GTA there were many times where you could complete the mission by bypassing a lot of things. Two examples from GTA IV off the top of my head were when I had to kill some dude in a gang hideout; instead of working my way there I went to a far away building and sniped him when I got a good position. Another was instead of making my way up a building killing people I used a helicopter.

The fun of GTA sandbox is that I can just drive around doing random stuff, do missions in any order, side missions, police, etc.

In Crysis you can cloak to infiltrate areas, destroy objectives from afar with a rocket launcher, etc.

I really don't see the benefit of smaller linear levels except tighter (easier) story telling and better graffix!

Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

Badly designed sandbox games like the first BFBC are boring.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Bad guy with heavy accent confirmed.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

tl;dr

Wasdie

Right on!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

SaltyMeatballs

I disagree. The main story is linear (of course) but for the most part you can do missions in any order, and in GTA there were many times where you could complete the mission by bypassing a lot of things. Two examples from GTA IV off the top of my head were when I had to kill some dude in a gang hideout; instead of working my way there I went to a far away building and sniped him when I got a good position. Another was instead of making my way up a building killing people I used a helicopter.

The fun of GTA sandbox is that I can just drive around doing random stuff, do missions in any order, side missions, police, etc.

In Crysis you can cloak to infiltrate areas, destroy objectives from afar with a rocket launcher, etc.

I really don't see the benefit of smaller linear levels except tighter (easier) story telling and better graffix!

The problem with sandbox gameplay is that it doesn't make sense for a lot of situations, or would be far beyond the techincal limitations of any engine or developer to actually pull off. BF is a good example. It's supposed to be a constant war between the two sides. What you would need to do is somehow generate a massive dynamic world that is constantly changing so you can do whatever you want whenever you want it. You quickly reach technical limitations there.

Burnout Paradise also tried using an open world for everything. While it was great exploring and whatnot, if I actually wanted to get races done it was difficult. An open world mode in addition to the races would have been paced better and relieved many frustrations.

Also the biggest offender of this was Brutal Legend. There was no reason why that game had to be open world at all, it did nothing more than get in the way.

With people pushing for open world gameplay, more and more games are going to be like Burnout Paradise and Brutal Legend, needlessly putting open world in games where it isn't needed. I'm happy to hear that they are going to a linear single player for Battlefield 3 as an open world mode would be needlessly difficult to pull off and would distract from the multiplayer, where the true open world gameplay is found.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
The campaign is going to be a COD clone thentomarlyn
Pretty much.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]The campaign is going to be a COD clone thenGeneralShowzer
Pretty much.

So it's going to be horrible right?

I always thought people loved CoD, CoD UO, CoD 2, and CoD 4...

Or do you want them to not make a modern military shooter?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"]The campaign is going to be a COD clone thenWasdie

Pretty much.

It needs more dual-wielding double barrel shotguns and hollywood moments.

No really, open world + realistic/modern military =/= work, at least in the common practical way of having freedom to do whatever and whenever.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"]The campaign is going to be a COD clone thenWasdie

Pretty much.

It's not going to be horrible. But it's really tiresome now...

Homefront, Medal of Honor, I'm pretty sure the new Ghost Recon is going to be the same.

Enough is enough, i don't want another squad mate to open the door for me ever again, or another scripted explosion while i grab a pole and i save myself at the last moment or whatever.

Bad Company campaign was amazing, what's wrong with that?

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
Battlefield 3 is about Multiplayer! The singleplayer portion is just a bonus, so not bothered tbh.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#34 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Tightly scripted? Going to be fun the first time around, and boring the second time around.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Pretty much.GeneralShowzer

Homefront, Medal of Honor, I'm pretty sure the new Ghost Recon is going to be the same.

Enough is enough, i don't want another squad mate to open the door for me ever again, or another scripted explosion while i grab a pole and i save myself at the last moment or whatever.

Bad Company's campaign was fun but far from amazing, you can tell they focused on it more than multiplayer because bad company's multiplayer was really iffy. BC2 you saw a shift in focus from singleplayer to multiplayer, the single player was really linear but the multiplayer was fantastic.

They've doubled the size of the team for BF3. We've seen some very large enviroments in leaked tech demos and in the gameplay and we haven't even seen multiplayer, which they said was going to be more BF2 than BC2.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Bad Company's campaign was fun but far from amazing, you can tell they focused on it more than multiplayer because bad company's multiplayer was really iffy. BC2 you saw a shift in focus from singleplayer to multiplayer, the single player was really linear but the multiplayer was fantastic.

They've doubled the size of the team for BF3. We've seen some very large enviroments in leaked tech demos and in the gameplay and we haven't even seen multiplayer, which they said was going to be more BF2 than BC2.

It was better than COD... Is anyone seriously still impressed with this **** ? I am not... Ill try the campaign for an hour or two, but Ill probably pass on the rest.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
So.. DICE producer isn't capable of seeing how a sandbox game can have a decent campaign? The whole idea of being creative is taking a concept otherwise thought improbable, and making it into a reality. Of course it makes more sense for FPS games to be tightly scripted and linear. That's how almost all of them are because it's easy. Where's a developer with the desire to reach out beyond the norm and actually create a new game.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#38 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

That is his view, but I thought that 5 hours of Mirror's Edge had more boring moments than a well-designed sandbox game such as Crysis or STALKER: Call of Pripyat.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

There is leaked gameplay, where can I find this please?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] It's not going to be horrible. But it's really tiresome now...

SaltyMeatballs

There is leaked gameplay, where can I find this please?

Here ya go.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
well if thats how he feels, ok. I think Sandbox games are great. Especially when they are done right, like GTA4.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I think they are too. One of the most enjoyable singleplayer experiences I've had this generation was Batman: Arkham Asylum. A very linear and scripted experience. I've never found a single sandbox game that was enjoyable more so than a more linear version of it.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GeneralShowzer

I think they are too. One of the most enjoyable singleplayer experiences I've had this generation was Batman: Arkham Asylum. A very linear and scripted experience. I've never found a single sandbox game that was enjoyable more so than a more linear version of it.

foxhound_fox

Arkham Asylum wasn't entirely scripted.

There were these entire areas which were open, and you were free to use them how they want.

Climb on gargoyles, be stealthy, take them all out. You also had tons of tools you could use to dispatch your enemies, you could move everywhere, you could explore.

What i really hate is COD style scripting, where you can't even open doors, and you can't stray an inch from the linear path it kills you right away..

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

GeneralShowzer

Arkham Asylum wasn't entirely scripted.

There were these entire areas which were open, and you were free to use them how they want.

Climb on gargoyles, be stealthy, take them all out. You also had tons of tools you could use to dispatch your enemies, you could move everywhere, you could explore.

What i really hate is COD style scripting, where you can't even open doors, and you can't stray an inch from the linear path it kills you right away..

It's looking like there will be pretty large battle spaces in BF3 based upon what we have seen.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

ehhh so? he's a gamer and thats his taste, i prefer open sandbox worlds. its all good

Chris_Williams
This. This exactly!
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The sand box style of the Bad Company games gave me almost full control over the action and I ended up creating my own "set pieces". I don't want to play a CoD campaign where I am virtually just watching the game play itself.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
In some games like GTA i agree, its so boring that you'll have more fun watching news on tv but games like Fallout are great.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Article

DICE Producer Patrick Bach has just revealed that Battlefield 3's campaign will be more tightly-scripted rather than the sandbox ztyle their Bad Company games had.

In an interview with EDGE, Bach said "I don't see it as an absolute goal for all games to be sandbox games. We've been building sandbox games for quite some time and we've got pretty good at it, but I don't see that as the only way of building games, because then we wouldn't build campaigns at all" Bach continued, "In some cases they aren't, but in most cases sandbox games are hardcore, boring, hard to get into and they are not very popular."

While some people might automatically cite the Grand Theft Auto series as a prime contradiction of what Bach said, keep in mind that this is a different genre altogether. Come to think of it, do all games need the sandbox treatment? It makes sense for action and adventure games, but won't first-person shooters have a hard time building tension and displaying their set-pieces in a sandbox environment?

fusionhunter
I mirror his sentiment, unless the game has substantial RPG elements (Borderlands) or is a full-fledged RPG game (Fallout 3).
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Pretty much.

I love COD. Just dusting off my crystal ball.
sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
Opinion is opinion. It's not like he's god of video game world or something. Jesus Christ.