uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58979 Posts

Good new for fans Bill Cosby's Blizzard. You can now buy a mount for the price of the game. It's optional, like jumping off cliff. So it's fine. Go buy it.

Also recently added, portal give me money nows.

Is shame a concept?

Diablo 4’s Hellish Microtransactions Go From Bad to Worse With $65 Horse Bundle That Costs More Than the Game Itself

Hot on the heels of a backlash against Diablo 4 portal reskins that cost the same as Palworld comes a new microtransaction horror: a horse bundle that costs more than Diablo 4 itself.

This week, Blizzard released the new Vitreous Scourge mount, which can only be bought as part of a $64.99 bundle that throws in 7,000 Platinum. For context, Diablo 4 itself currently costs $41.99, and there is no way to buy the Vitreous Scourge mount outside this bundle.

Here’s what you get from the Vitreous Scourge pack, per Blizzard:

Charge in atop crystal and bone
Manifest crystalline might and traverse Sanctuary with the Vitreous Scourge. The Vitreous Scourge pack includes Crystal and Bone bundle containing the Crystal-clad mount, Crystal and Bone Cage mount armor, two mount trophies, and 7,000 Platinum.
Crystal and Bone: A great many maladies plague the unfortunate inhabitants of Sanctuary. One is a spreading corruption that crystalizes both flesh and bone.
7,000 Platinum can be exchanged to customize your in-game experience with purchasable cosmetic items from the Shop, used to unlock access to the premium Battle Pass, and Battle Pass Tier Skips.
IMAGE CREDIT: BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT.

Diablo 4 players are debating the rights and wrongs of this bundle, working out its value given it includes 7,000 Platinum (7,200 Platinum costs $64.97 when bought on its own via the denominations Blizzard provides). If you’re going to buy $65-worth of Platinum anyway, some argue, then the Vitreous Scourge mount is a free add-on. Or, considered another way, the $65 bundle offers $83 of value, if we consider previous Diablo 4 mounts have cost up to $18 each. But the point remains: it is impossible to buy the mount directly, which means this bundle is yet another example of the video game industry, and Blizzard, price anchoring its microtransactions.

It’s worth noting Diablo 4 is a full-price action role-playing game and not free-to-play, and while this horse is purely cosmetic and does not affect gameplay, it joins a long list of controversial microtransactions that have hit the game since its record-breaking launch in June.

Of course, Diablo 4 developer Blizzard is now owned by Microsoft following the company’s $69 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard last year. It was a move that some had thought would usher in a new era for Blizzard, but it got off to a troubling start after Microsoft announced nearly 2,000 staff would be let go from its gaming division, a devastating round of layoffs that have hit Blizzard hard.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

Once enough people are willing, devs will price accordingly. What this shows is that gamers are willing to pay such prices.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts

I wonder what their player count is and if it's taken a nosedive. I'm thinking maybe they figure the people that have left the game are gone for good, and those that remain are there for good, so they can more or less do what they want as far as MTX go.

I played the game at release, spent maybe a month with it. I had my fun but honestly it made me want to go back to Diablo 3 and other Diablo "clones".

Gave it another go with this most recent season, hasn't really improved much. I'll keep an eye out for expansions but honestly a lot of the charm that made Diablo Diablo was gone from Diablo 4.

@Pedro said:

Once enough people are willing, devs will price accordingly. What this shows is that gamers are willing to pay such prices.

I never learned much about business or marketing but one rule I remember and took to heart is that an item is worth whatever people will pay for it. Doesn't matter what its value is, its worth* is whatever people will pay for it. Be it a Stanley cup or a Magic The Gathering card or a concert ticket or a fake horse to ride in a video game.

*Might be getting "worth" and "value" mixed up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56115 Posts

It's a good thing BG3 buried Diablo 4's greediness from ever-increasing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17811 Posts

This is the evolution of Oblivion's horse armour. LOL

Gamers did this to to themselves. Especially dumb mobile gamers who showed devs how easily they could be exploited for $$$. Now micro-transactions have spread like the plague.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

If they wanna make the ugliest anything and people can't exercise the least bit of self restraint then I say milk those suckers for all they're worth.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

If you have $65 to spend on this, maybe try to find some charity to spend it on instead 🤷🏻‍♂️?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

Just the kind of monetization that's perfect for gamepass.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

If you have $65 to spend on this, maybe try to find some charity to spend it on instead 🤷🏻‍♂️?

But you don't get Horse armor if you donate :/

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6051 Posts

I agree this is shitty and MS need to step in and stop this BS, but we know they won't.

But in the big scope of things this is just small fry when you have people spending thousands on ships in a game that hasn't been released yet in Star Citizen.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1252 Posts

If you are dumb enough to buy this shit then you deserve to be rinsed.... every game has different editions with extra missions,skins and weapons you have to pay extra for.so let's not pretend this shit practices isn't done by everyone

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

@last_lap said:

I agree this is shitty and MS need to step in and stop this BS, but we know they won't.

But in the big scope of things this is just small fry when you have people spending thousands on ships in a game that hasn't been released yet in Star Citizen.

I wouldn't say that. Pretty sure ActiBlizz gets more money from selling a 65 dollar horse than CIG gets from a 20.000 dollar spaceship.

You can just point and laugh at what CIG is doing. What ActiBlizz is doing is just sad and annoying.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Last_Lap

@Litchie said:
@last_lap said:

I wouldn't say that. Pretty sure ActiBlizz gets more money from selling a 65 dollar horse than CIG gets from a 20.000 dollar spaceship.

You can just point and laugh at what CIG is doing. What ActiBlizz is doing is just sad and annoying.

Star Citizen is over 600 million dollars (and counting) it raised 104 million last year and no game in sight, backers have been waiting over a decade for the game they paid for, that is far worse than micros, and make no mistake I friggin hate micros.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3057 Posts

@saint-george said:

If you are dumb enough to buy this shit then you deserve to be rinsed.... every game has different editions with extra missions,skins and weapons you have to pay extra for.so let's not pretend this shit practices isn't done by everyone

The problem with that is them spending all that effort on nonsense, instead of building a better game. So in the end, we all get less, and not just the fools.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Thats a lot for something meaningless in a trashgame.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Saint-George

@dimebag667 said:
@saint-george said:

The problem with that is them spending all that effort on nonsense, instead of building a better game. So in the end, we all get less, and not just the fools.

I don't think a gun,sword a mission and some skins are made along side a game,they are taken from it and put behind a pay wall.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap

@Mozelleple112 said:

Thats a lot for something meaningless in a trashgame.

That's interesting considering Metashitic is your god (your userpic is a score from that site) and 86 > 82 in Death Stranding a game you keep saying is the most awarded game blah, blah, blah.

So, if Diablo 4 is a trash game, then Death Stranding must be a mega trash game, I can agree with you on that lol.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@Sushiglutton said:

But you don't get Horse armor if you donate :/

Fair point 😅.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3407 Posts

What an incredible opportunity! I'll take two.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I wonder what their player count is and if it's taken a nosedive. I'm thinking maybe they figure the people that have left the game are gone for good, and those that remain are there for good, so they can more or less do what they want as far as MTX go.

I played the game at release, spent maybe a month with it. I had my fun but honestly it made me want to go back to Diablo 3 and other Diablo "clones".

Gave it another go with this most recent season, hasn't really improved much. I'll keep an eye out for expansions but honestly a lot of the charm that made Diablo Diablo was gone from Diablo 4.

@Pedro said:

I never learned much about business or marketing but one rule I remember and took to heart is that an item is worth whatever people will pay for it. Doesn't matter what its value is, its worth* is whatever people will pay for it. Be it a Stanley cup or a Magic The Gathering card or a concert ticket or a fake horse to ride in a video game.

*Might be getting "worth" and "value" mixed up.

I've especially seen this during COVID when digital goods (people were locked inside) became extremely valuable.

Things like Bitcoin, graphics cards and NFTs suddenly peaked in value.

Now that things have calmed down and we certainly don't live locked in our houses in a digital age, these things have gone down in price again, while NFTs have all but vanished.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

What a steal. Such value. Thank you Blizzard.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

Last Epoch is launching in two days, for those who are eying Diablo but want an actual good game instead.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69492 Posts

Geesh, the animosity to the folks who buy these DLCs is ironic to say the least.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

I mean it’s a 65$ coin pack where you get the horse as an added bonus!? Don’t really see the issue here… it’s a good deal for people looking to buy some coins to spend in the shop and the rest of us can just ignore it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup
@djoffer123 said:

I mean it’s a 65$ coin pack where you get the horse as an added bonus!? Don’t really see the issue here… it’s a good deal for people looking to buy some coins to spend in the shop and the rest of us can just ignore it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
@saint-george said:

and weapons you have to pay extra for.so let's not pretend this shit practices isn't done by everyone

This line right here is what publishers want to hear.

This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody care This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares This is bullshit > Incrementally normalize it > Nobody cares

Le never ending loop. No problem for me, have a very big brain and stopped buying AAA games a while back. Unfortunately cursed with high levels of empathy.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

People will buy it though..lol

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@uninspiredcup: It's actually cheaper than buying the 7,000 tokens. It's essentially saying "buy the 7K token pack, and get this horse armor for free".

Not sure why anyone would want that. If you paint your armor red, and get the gold and red horse armor from the PVE area, you have armor and horse armor that match - very stylish, and FREE.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

@uninspiredcup: meh bought the game but haven’t spend a dime on the cosmetic crap and honestly D4 have WAY bigger problems than overpriced dlc..

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 963 Posts

Bill Cosby 4 is not fun at all.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dimebag667

@saint-george: Ok. So you're saying that they didn't plan this from the beginning? And if they hadn't decided to put this behind a paywall, that all this content would be in the game already? I'm not sure I can buy that.

I mean, I don't work there, so I can't say for certain. And I'm not saying your scenario couldn't, doesn't or didn't happen. I'm just saying that they used valuable resources (monetary and mental) on stuff that doesn't make a better game.

I haven't played D4, but out of curiosity, can you even earn these items in-game, or do you have to buy them?

I agree with @uninspiredcup: that the normalization of this nonsense over the years has led us here. This isn't the only reason Blizzard has fallen from grace, but it's all part of the same sh!t stew. Remember when you could just buy a Blizzard game and know it was going to be awesome? I do, and I miss it.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Saint-George

@dimebag667:

What I'm saying is that every game has a base game,and one or two editions costing more one may be a collectors edition,one may have all future dlc and one will have an extra mission or two,extra weapons and skins...all these will be a available to pre order before the game releases......it's all developed together apart from the one that has any future story dlc.....I would guess the rest is hand picked and pulled from the game and an extra £10 is put on and called a dulux edition

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saint-George

@uninspiredcup:

Simple facts....all games do it...spunking money on skins n shit is optional....games that are pay to win are the games gamers should go after

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I don’t understand the outrage from gamers over this. Why don’t you take a look at the real world, we now have people who are willing to pay $35k for a digital coin called a bitcoin, and $1.5k for the latest shitty iPhone. People have this dumb concept of money, it really has no value beyond meeting your basic needs and your security. Those are its most important functions because it ensures your survival. Beyond that, money loses most of its meaning. The world runs on belief, and people will pay $$ if they BELIEVE something is worth it. So even if I think the iPhone is an over priced scam piece of turd, or bitcoin is trash, none of that matters because other people believe it’s worth some thing.

Heck, even the dollar bill is based on belief lol, the people who made bitcoin figured that out and tapped into the scam. Prior to the 70s, the US dollar was backed by gold if i remember right. And gold value fluctuated based on real world supply. The government changed that and ever since then, the dollar has been based on belief. The people’s belief in the US as a country, democracy, the institutions, military, and the alliances with other countries.

So there you have it my friend. People are willing to pay for some over priced digital horse, who cares. There are idiots out there and people who make money off them. This is just how the economy functions.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@uninspiredcup: I don’t understand the outrage from gamers over this.

Says this and then proceeds to compare video games to cryptocurrency.

With willing customers like this, you don't need fun games for a business model.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dimebag667

@saint-george: I think we're talking about two slightly different things. You're talking pre-order bonuses, and I'm talking about mtx. Both are lame.

All I'm saying is that I would prefer if they took the money and effort used to create all their mtx items, and instead put that towards better mechanics and systems.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Saint-George

@dimebag667 said:

@saint-george: I think we're talking about two slightly different things. You're talking pre-order bonuses, and I'm talking about mtx. Both are lame.

All I'm saying is that I would prefer if they took the money and effort used to create all their mtx items, and instead put that towards better mechanics and systems.

I'm talking more a dulux edition that has a mission and a skin or a weapon and armour for an extra $10-15,pre order bonuses to me scream *buy our broken shit early* and we'll give you a nice set of armour 😂

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

People support wicked things. More news at eleven.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: I just said the truth. Money is based on belief that’s all lol. People have this wierd thoughts about money and get upset when someone gets scammed out of $65 for a digital horse lol. Money is just money, it’s paper dude. It’s absolutely important, but also not that important beyond a point, and actually I’d say it’s even a curse beyond some point because it makes you lazy and weak. To these people paying $65 for the horse, who cares 😂??

Plus if you don't like the company or product, then buy something else...theres tons of amazing games out there, and those don't charge MTX. Thats free market.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dimebag667

@saint-george: Yeah, all of it is stupid. 👍

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup
@shadyacshuns said:

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Yep, I used to be addicted to Destiny 2, evil game from an evil company. I've since seen the light.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Considering you can get the Game of the Year 2023, which trashes this game completely, for the same price as this horse in a heavily monetized game, I'm a bit shocked to see people going in justifying this.

A damn shame. Some people would rather defend their favorite megacorp than play a fun game. I would rather buy another copy of Baldur's Gate 3.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

No surprise there. Blizzard is known for its abusive/exploitative corporate culture, and has only extended this practice to its loyal customers, not just its employees.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

Had an itch to play a little Diablo 4 recently, then I remembered it's Blizzard so I went and played Grim Dawn instead.

That should hold me over until Path of Exile 2 in June.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

D4 and RE8 are the two titles i've purchased on day one that i will always remember as extreme waste of money. And in the case of D4, i am literally ashamed of telling others that i bought it day one, and spent over 300h playing it. Never again.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I think they're doing this out of desperation, just like Ubishit charging $70 for Skull N Bones. They know what's left of their community is tiny, so you gotta juice them out of as much cash as possible before there's anyone left. Lots of dying mmo's do it btw.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@Litchie said:
@last_lap said:

Difference is you can buy almost all of the ships with the in-game currency that you can earn inside of the Star Citizen game without having to spend extra money. Diablo 4 said no to all of that, and there's no other way to obtain these skins without spending money.