NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Digital Foundry released a video comparing the ray tracing performance of the RTX 2080 Ti to the RTX 3080. I know some are disappointed in Ampere's jump in ray tracing performance thinking they would get little to no hit at all with ray tracing on but the jump is still impressive. They leave some interesting info at 6:58. At 4K Native/Extreme settings/Ultra RT in Metro Exodus the RTX 3080 is 50% faster. At 4K Native/High settings/ High RT the RTX 3080 is 45% faster. But DLSS appears to be the equalizer that closes the performance gap with 4K DLSS/Ultra Settings/Ultra RT being 30% faster and 4K DLSS/High Settings/High RT being 37% faster on the RTX 3080. This is with DLSS 1.0 so who knows what it would be like with 2.0 and above. In Control the RTX 3080 was able to easily outperform the 2080 Ti despite the 2080 Ti using lower settings and the 3080 having everything maxed out.

TLDR: The higher the resolution and settings, the bigger the difference in performance between the RTX 3080 and 2080 Ti.

The Boundary benchmark is amazing and what makes it even possible to run at 4k 30-40fps on the 3080 is DLSS. DLSS is certainly a big game changer in how hard developers can push graphics on PC. AMD better have their own alternative or otherwise Nvidia cards will be running laps around them.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

The Boundary benchmark is amazing and what makes it even possible to run at 4k 30-40fps on the 3080 is DLSS. DLSS is certainly a big game changer in how hard developers can push graphics on PC. AMD better have their own alternative or otherwise Nvidia cards will be running laps around them.

Only one problem with that statement, DLSS is not standard--it is dependent/optional on the developers to implement it. Not only that, but all games on console are on AMD hardware and RDNA 2. AMD won't need the DLSS to stay competitive but if they do, indeed, have a AI algorithm of their own, it is actually Nvidia--that will be ran with laps around them because of RDNA 2 implementation. Same architecture, same implementation. If consoles have some sort of upscaling, its going to translate pretty easily to the PC.

Of course, from what everyone knows, there are no tensor cores with the consoles, the only question is, has AMD found some other form of implementation of AI upscaling that they have already included in the consoles and their new GPUs that they haven't revealed yet? Who knows. They might have but partners and digital foundry may be under NDAs to stay quiet.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Guaranteed we're gonna get to some point where everyone views DLSS as sub par and wants to run native.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15916 Posts

Zzz does it matter only 2% PC people play at 4K. Majority of hermits is still 2 gens back, 1080p and below screens.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I can barely notice ray traced games!

Good for those who imagine they can see the difference

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts
@schu said:

Guaranteed we're gonna get to some point where everyone views DLSS as sub par and wants to run native.

Anyone educated shouldn't have that opinion though.

@2mrw said:

The difference is very clear to see though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Zzz does it matter only 2% PC people play at 4K. Majority of hermits is still 2 gens back, 1080p and below screens.

How many people play at 4K on console? The majority of console owners do not own a 4K TV and few games can run at native 4K/60fps. When they do run at 4K/60fps, they are running at reduced console settings and not PC max settings.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sakaiXx

@BassMan said:
@sakaixx said:

How many people play at 4K on console? The majority of console owners do not own a 4K TV and few games can run at native 4K/60fps. When they do run at 4K/60fps, they are running at reduced console settings and not PC max settings.

Too bad no data but I can confirm the number of people having 4K tv is more than people with 4K monitor to point that console manufacturers chases that marketing spin. I mean LED 4K is very cheap nowadays you gotta be either really piss poor or the current TV haven't broke yet not to buy one.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter

@sakaixx said:

Hermits are playing at framerates higher than 60fps now while consoles are just now playing catch up to 60fps.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56106 Posts

The fact I only game in 1440p, Ampere has been very impressive from what I seen so far, its a huge improvement while using RT if you game in 1440p and not 4K to take a huge hit lose. That said, RT in games has been a nice feature I like to use in my games, especially towards Control. 4K/60 on RT, we ain't just ready just yet, but its getting closer.

@2mrw said:

Depending on the game, the difference is clearly day/night. Try playing Control that uses RT and after experiencing using RT, I cannot go back to playing it normal without turning on RT.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@sakaixx said:

Hermits are playing at framerates higher than 60fps now while consoles are just now playing catch up to 60fps.

For console games to reach 60fps they have to cut features like 4K (Demon's Souls) or Raytracing (Spiderman).

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@sakaixx said:

For console games to reach 60fps they have to cut features like 4K (Demon's Souls) or Raytracing (Spiderman).

Or graphics completely like Halo Infinite on Series X which has a 12 TFLOPS.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sakaiXx

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@sakaixx said:

overwhelming majority of PC users play on 1080p and below, and demons souls.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@2mrw: you don't have an RTX card then, I take it? It's clear as night and day in the games I've tried.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@BassMan said:
@sakaixx said:

Too bad no data but I can confirm the number of people having 4K tv is more than people with 4K monitor to point that console manufacturers chases that marketing spin. I mean LED 4K is very cheap nowadays you gotta be either really piss poor or the current TV haven't broke yet not to buy one.

There are more 1080p TVs out there than 4K TVs. Sure, there are more 4K TVs out there than 4K monitors (I don't even have a 4K monitor). However, I do have a 4K TV and I can hook up my PC to it just like every other PC and console gamer who has a 4K TV.

Effinae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Effinae
Member since 2020 • 153 Posts

@BassMan said:
@sakaixx said:
@BassMan said:
@sakaixx said:

There are more 1080p TVs out there than 4K TVs. Sure, there are more 4K TVs out there than 4K monitors (I don't even have a 4K monitor). However, I do have a 4K TV and I can hook up my PC to it just like every other PC and console gamer who has a 4K TV.

Not to mention many PC gamers have figured out that framerates make for a better experience than just pushing resolutions. Especially when we're talking computer monitors. 1440p to 4k isn't that much of a leap on standard monitor sizes and distance, but you do pay a huge performance price for that small leap.

And let's not forget that just because a console is connected to a 4k TV doesn't mean it can run games at 4k. Checkerboarded "4k" at 30 frames last gen didn't cut it lol.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@sakaixx said:

A majority of console gamers are 2 gens behind too with 1080p and 30fps....How does this discount a next gen hardware PC at SW?

You and Nathandrake are more jealous than anyone here lmao.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@zaryia said:
@sakaixx said:

A majority of console gamers are 2 gens behind too with 1080p and 30fps....How does this discount a next gen hardware PC at SW?

You and Nathandrake are more jealous than anyone here lmao.

This is what jealousy comes. They want a high-end PC but simply cannot get it. But hey, don't be mad at us PC gamers, this is all on you console gamers.

What can I say, I love my console haters ;)

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoodleFighter

@cdragon_88 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Only one problem with that statement, DLSS is not standard--it is dependent/optional on the developers to implement it. Not only that, but all games on console are on AMD hardware and RDNA 2. AMD won't need the DLSS to stay competitive but if they do, indeed, have a AI algorithm of their own, it is actually Nvidia--that will be ran with laps around them because of RDNA 2 implementation. Same architecture, same implementation. If consoles have some sort of upscaling, its going to translate pretty easily to the PC.

Of course, from what everyone knows, there are no tensor cores with the consoles, the only question is, has AMD found some other form of implementation of AI upscaling that they have already included in the consoles and their new GPUs that they haven't revealed yet? Who knows. They might have but partners and digital foundry may be under NDAs to stay quiet.

Microsoft and AMD already have their solution, since they don't have hardware accelerated machine learning they use general shader cores for it. FP16 and FP32 compute to be exact. Digital Foundry has stated that Xbox Series X's machine learning capabilities is only 50% that of an RTX 2060.

Nearly every game on PC that supports ray tracing also supports DLSS and the amount of DLSS titles is more than ray tracing titles currently. Nvidia doesn't need to get every game to support DLSS but at least most of the major titles which they're already getting some decent hold of. Considering how Nvidia dominates PC gaming market it would be stupid for devs not to implement DLSS into their games if they can with not much trouble unless they're being sponsored by AMD or the game is already very low demanding.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Microsoft and AMD already have their solution, since they don't have hardware accelerated machine learning they use general shader cores for it. FP16 and FP32 compute to be exact. Digital Foundry has stated that Xbox Series X's machine learning capabilities is only 50% that of an RTX 2060.

Nearly every game on PC that supports ray tracing also supports DLSS and the amount of DLSS titles is more than ray tracing titles currently. Nvidia doesn't need to get every game to support DLSS but at least most of the major titles which they're already getting some decent hold of. Considering how Nvidia dominates PC gaming market it would be stupid for devs not to implement DLSS into their games if they can with not much trouble unless they're being sponsored by AMD or the game is already very low demanding.

It's more accurate to call it speculation. DF also stated that the RTX 3080 would be 70% faster than the 2080 in their first impression video as well. Yea.....no. Right now, it's more speculation as to how well and and exactly what is being done by AMD. Until AMD announces and shows it in-depth--no one truly knows. At this point in time, we don't even know the full suite of features whether hardware or software to up-the-ante on AMDs side against Nvidia.

On the other hand, I agree with you, that more games in the future will use DLSS. Again, the issue here is RDNA2s ease of implementation since it's the same architecture. How well this will translate into developers choosing both AMD's implementation and then also choosing to add DLSS is to be seen. However, it is quite easy to accept that every game on the console that uses AMDs AI scaling will support it right out of the gate for PC ports without having to do extra work. This will be a big advantage for AMD.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Da fuq wants to spend $800 to game at 30fps?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 2mrw

@xantufrog said:

@2mrw: you don't have an RTX card then, I take it? It's clear as night and day in the games I've tried.

I do have RTX 2060. Pretty low end my today's standards.

But generally speaking. You really need to nit-pick to force yourself to be WOW'd!!

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

@schu said:

yeap card manf cant push the rez with out getting massive performance hits. seeing their cards cant handle it and got to cheat.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xantufrog  Moderator

@2mrw: have you played Control with everything cranked up? I think it's a great poster child for what RT should do for a game. The whole ambiance feels more natural - which I suppose could fall under the "squint" category since it's a general sense of immersion. But the reflections show it off more overtly too - and even the frag from things breaking interacts with the lighting

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

This is great but practically useless since the cards are no where to be found.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@sakaixx said:

no that preview the other day of spiderman was 60fps and had raytracing. its just 1440p/60 with raytracing. it was confirmed 60 fps will have raytracing.

same as demon souls. they just lower resolution to dynamic 4k going from 30 to 60.

so far every cross gen game is going to be 4k/60 though.

dirt 5 has a 120fps but with raytracing off.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@gifford38 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

no that preview the other day of spiderman was 60fps and had raytracing. its just 1440p/60 with raytracing. it was confirmed 60 fps will have raytracing.

same as demon souls. they just lower resolution to dynamic 4k going from 30 to 60.

Ow yeah, I was talking about Spiderman's 4k/60 mode.

But I'm all in favor of console games giving you different options. Just like PC games do. Offering options to players is always better. Some care for 4K, some care for raytracing, while others want a game that controls fluidly.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gifford38

@R4gn4r0k said:
@gifford38 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Ow yeah, I was talking about Spiderman's 4k/60 mode.

But I'm all in favor of console games giving you different options. Just like PC games do. Offering options to players is always better. Some care for 4K, some care for raytracing, while others want a game that controls fluidly.

what good is the people that want 60 frames still gets to play with raytracing to. just if you want the crisp 4k then yes you have to play 30.

but most of third party cross gen games you get to play true 4k/60.

only the games that can target 120 fps will have no raytracing.

i was worried because i wanted 60fps and was afraid i had to play with no raytrcing to do so.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NoodleFighter

@cdragon_88 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

It's more accurate to call it speculation. DF also stated that the RTX 3080 would be 70% faster than the 2080 in their first impression video as well. Yea.....no. Right now, it's more speculation as to how well and and exactly what is being done by AMD. Until AMD announces and shows it in-depth--no one truly knows. At this point in time, we don't even know the full suite of features whether hardware or software to up-the-ante on AMDs side against Nvidia.

On the other hand, I agree with you, that more games in the future will use DLSS. Again, the issue here is RDNA2s ease of implementation since it's the same architecture. How well this will translate into developers choosing both AMD's implementation and then also choosing to add DLSS is to be seen. However, it is quite easy to accept that every game on the console that uses AMDs AI scaling will support it right out of the gate for PC ports without having to do extra work. This will be a big advantage for AMD.

The RTX 3080 can be up to 70% faster than the RTX 2080 it just depends on the games optimization and utilization.

This video shows the RTX 3080 getting 60% faster performance at 4K over the 2080 in Control. Double the framerates of the 2080 with RT in 4k in Wolfenstein Youngblood. 68% faster at 4k and 74% faster at 1440p in Shadow Of The Tomb Raider. Minecraft RTX, Fortnite RTX and Quake 2 RTX the RTX 3080 is twice as fast as the RTX 2080. I imagine once we get more games optimized for Ampere architecture the 70% performance potential will be tapped more. Some GPUs like the GTX 760 run worse the GTX 750 Ti due to using an older architecture despite having more raw power due to games utilizing the newer architecture.

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Less than 0.1% of all console games run at 60 FPS let alone higher so essentially console gamers are stuck in the 70s.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@gifford38 said:

what good is the people that want 60 frames still gets to play with raytracing to. just if you want the crisp 4k then yes you have to play 30.

i was worried because i wanted 60fps and was afraid i had to play with no raytrcing to do so.

And honestly I think current gen games look plenty good.

AC: Valhalla at 4K/60 is just incredible.

Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, GRID, Battlefield V, The Last of Us II, Gears 5 = all current gen games, all look incredible.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gifford38

@R4gn4r0k said:
@gifford38 said:

And honestly I think current gen games look plenty good.

AC: Valhalla at 4K/60 is just incredible.

Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, GRID, Battlefield V, The Last of Us II, Gears 5 = all current gen games, all look incredible.

yes they do that is why im saying we will get little graphic bump over last gen. the things that will improve are global lighting, raytracing, better depth of field, faster loading, higher textures, and density of world.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 2mrw

@xantufrog said:

@2mrw: have you played Control with everything cranked up? I think it's a great poster child for what RT should do for a game. The whole ambiance feels more natural - which I suppose could fall under the "squint" category since it's a general sense of immersion. But the reflections show it off more overtly too - and even the frag from things breaking interacts with the lighting

I will have another look!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@2mrw: definitely should! This is pretty juicy IMO:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@gifford38 said:

yes they do that is why im saying we will get little graphic bump over last gen. the things that will improve are global lighting, raytracing, better depth of field, faster loading, higher textures, and density of world.

Yup and possibly the elimination of visible LODs. This is what I hope will happen next gen, that you can't see visible LODs popping in anymore.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gifford38

@R4gn4r0k said:
@gifford38 said:

Yup and possibly the elimination of visible LODs. This is what I hope will happen next gen, that you can't see visible LODs popping in anymore.

yes I hope so to.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@xantufrog said:

@2mrw: definitely should! This is pretty juicy IMO:

I know we have the same GPU but not sure with the same CPU (R7 2700X) but those pics look similar to the one's I also took like last year:

Edit: I'm gonna have to play the game tonight and take more pics to post'em in the screenshot thread.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@sakaixx said:

overwhelming majority of PC users play on 1080p and below, and demons souls.

Same applies to consoles gamers... Look at the sales of PS4 Pro and X1X compared to base consoles, most of you guys are running games at 720-1080p 30FPS on low-medium settings using LCD TV's that are 1080i with 50ms lag and no speaker system, you starting the statistics game is dangerous son.

... While I'm here trying to decide on what RTX 3080 when they get back in stock so I can enjoy 4K/120 on my 65" OLED TV with HDMI 2.1 and Sono's 5.1 speaker system that will be upgraded to a Sonos Arc making it 5.2.1 setup.