Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20126 Posts
  • Two modes on PS5 and X: Graphics/RT (30fps) and Performance (60fps)
  • Only performance mode on S
  • PS5 and X target 1440p for both modes reconstructing to 4K
  • Series S targets 900p reconstructed to 1080p
  • Visual quality is identical on PS5 and Series X, S is a bit lower but still solid
  • PS5 performance dips to the 50's when combat gets very heavy, but overall solid
  • Series X similar performance but has stuttering issues when running through certain areas, certain cutscene transitions, or when text appears on the screen
  • PS5 dips seem to be GPU related, but Series X stuttering is likely a problem somewhere else
  • Series S has similar drops in big battles but also has the Series X stutter issues but mostly 60 fps
  • Quality mode on PS5 has a dip to 29 in rare instances with a lot of particles
  • Some scenes have bad frame pacing on PS5
  • Series X performs similarly to PS5 on quality mode
  • Loading takes about 11 seconds with S in the lead and PS5 last by a few tenths of a second.
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

@Zero_epyon: Wait, didn't we did this before?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zero_epyon

@davillain- said:

I think the other post was a preview of the differences between current and last gen versions and only compared those changes to those and PC.

This is an Xbox vs PS5 comparison.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@davillain- said:

that was for the PS5 version only.. this one compares the XSX/PS5 and XSS

He is taking a while but the low down is same resolution on XSX and PS5 (1440p uspcaled to 4k). XSS is 900p upscaled to 1080p

Both XSX and PS5 have GPU issues in FPS mode (minor ones) where it drops a frame or two.

With the XSX and S they seem to think there is a problem with the code that causes some stuttering (which they believe can be fixed via patch) they have reached out to Remedy and they are going to be looking into it

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

So both garbage, better on a 2060. lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator

@Zero_epyon said:
@davillain- said:

I think the other post was a preview of the differences between current and last gen versions and only compared those changes to those and PC.

Gotcha. Its still early and haven't had tea just yet lol. Will go watch it now before my wife gets up.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44302 Posts

Sounds pretty good all around. Really enjoyed the game on the Xbox One and am looking forward to checking it out again on the Xbox Series X when I get that system.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11139 Posts

@davillain- said:

No. This is a head to head comparison. PS5 only comes out slightly ahead for a game that should really be played on PC anyway.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39213 Posts

Massive drops on the X. Very frustrating for every single X owner out there.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zero_epyon

@davillain- said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@davillain- said:

Gotcha. Its still early and haven't had tea just yet lol. Will go watch it now before my wife gets up.

Shake it off soldier! you've got work to do! lol

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15946 Posts

Series S kept making a fool of itself xbox plis stop this.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 regnaston

@hardwenzen said:

Massive drops on the X. Very frustrating for every single X owner out there.

If that is not one of the "stutter" areas then the PS5 had the exact same drops as the XSX.

The DF guys think it is an error and can be fixed via patch (IIRC they said it happens as well on PC but more infrequently)

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

XSX too weak to deal with text popping on screen confirmed.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By regnaston

This quote is from the DF website (eurogamer.net)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-control-ultimate-edition-tested-on-ps5-xbox-series-x-s

So if anyone wants to try that out :D

There is an interesting aside to this though: engaging photo mode in-game removes the 30fps cap in RT mode, opening the door to a potential benchmark of sorts, something we'll take a closer look at in due course.Without giving too much away, it's clear that Control in RT graphics mode has a significant amount of headroom beyond 30fps (but nowhere near 60 for the most part, it's worth stressing), the upshot being that in standard gameplay, both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 lock to their target frame-rate of 30.

also from eurogamer.net

The only outlier here is the introduction of improper frame-pacing in very rare scenarios, but otherwise it's nearly faultless. In terms of quality settings and visual features, Series X and PlayStation 5 look like a complete match - with just a small difference in gamma levels. Control on PS5 (and it seems other titles) appears to have crushed blacks and a generally darker presentation. System level screenshots show the same thing, ruling out a capture issue.

Beyond this, Series X exhibits some stutter not seen on PS5 - regardless of it being set to graphics or performance modes. It crops up with the arrival of UI elements on screen and in standard traversal, and can be distracting. Our understanding is that Remedy is looking to address this in a future patch, but it's the only blemish in what is otherwise a very polished 30fps experience with some beautiful RT work.

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

How can you view the df comments summary in YouTube ? All I get is public comments.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 regnaston

forgot to add this one from the eurogamer.net article

All three systems follow a very similar performance profile: the action is fast and smooth, marred only by screen-filling effects work that can cause drops to the mid-50fps region as the chaos plays out on-screen. Owing to the dynamic nature of play, 'ranking' the consoles here is not easy - it seems that in some scenarios, Series X can outperform PlayStation 5, while in others the opposite is true. Xbox Series S does seem to be the least consistent overall, but only by a very small margin.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

Played it on my Series X last night in quality mode. It's nice enough. Ray-traced reflections added a little extra something to the presentation that wasn't quite there on the Xbox One version.

My dilemma is whether I want to play it on my PC or on my Xbox Series X. I have the Ultimate edition on Series X (comes with both DLC) and I only have the standard edition on PC via Game Pass Ultimate. But the PC version delivers better graphics and higher framerates on my new rig. Decisions, decisions.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

What GPU on the PC side can get 60fps on Low/Medium at 1440p?

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I played through Control on the PS4 with plenty of slow down in tight moments, both these versions seem really nice to me, why do we have this thread again?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

My RTX 2070 (R7: 2700X) with RT on everything manages 50-60fps in 1440p while leaving everything in Medium settings and for what its worth, I really like using RT in Control, it makes the game awesome imo.

Edit: I think the 2070 is a merge challenge to get you 60fps while in 1440p with medium settings but not for 2060 unless you have everything low.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69780 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

So both garbage, better on a 2060. lol.

😂 Yep.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator

After watching the vid from our pals DF. Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales both have a 60fps RT mode. Resolution is a bit lower, and RT settings are cut back, but it's definitely the best way to play the game is how I see it. Some engines are just more demanding than others but its clear that the PS5 Control version is the way to go here. Remedy will have to optimize a bit more on the Series X to fix that stuttering issue. It’s nice that this is a good jumping on point since Control Ultimate is available on PS+ now.

I said this over and over again on the Xbox console. It doesn't matter if you have the most powerful console available if you don't know how to use it properly. (Same goes for exclusives in the matter of speaking)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro  Online

@davillain- said:

After watching the vid from our pals DF. Spider-Man Remastered/Miles Morales both have a 60fps RT mode. Resolution is a bit lower, and RT settings are cut back, but it's definitely the best way to play the game is how I see it. Some engines are just more demanding than others but its clear that the PS5 Control version is the way to go here. Remedy will have to optimize a bit more on the Series X to fix that stuttering issue. It’s nice that this is a good jumping on point since Control Ultimate is available on PS+ now.

I said this over and over again on the Xbox console. It doesn't matter if you have the most powerful console available if you don't know how to use it properly. (Same goes for exclusives in the matter of speaking)

Xbox GDK isn't fully functional with Unity. There are still too many core features that are simply missing implementation. So I wouldn't be surprised that other engines are running into the same problem. The only game that has demonstrated to be more "next gen" feature rich is Gears and that game is mediocre.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 regnaston

@davillain- said:
@Juub1990 said:

My RTX 2070 (R7: 2700X) with RT on everything manages 50-60fps in 1440p while leaving everything in Medium settings and for what its worth, I really like using RT in Control, it makes the game awesome imo.

Edit: I think the 2070 is a merge challenge to get you 60fps while in 1440p with medium settings but not for 2060 unless you have everything low.

I wonder if they could get better FPS if they just kept it at 1440p instead of using resources to upscale

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:

Xbox GDK isn't fully functional with Unity. There are still too many core features that are simply missing implementation. So I wouldn't be surprised that other engines are running into the same problem. The only game that has demonstrated to be more "next gen" feature rich is Gears and that game is mediocre.

True to that. We are still new into this gen and developers will no doubt need more time to sort things out. I still love Gears...just wish Coalition at least try to innovate the series.

@regnaston said:

I wonder if they could get better FPS if they just kept it at 1440p instead of using resources to upscale

Going for 4K is a death sentence but 1440p to me has always been the gold standard on PC due to its easy to achieve 60fps+ but keeping it in 1080p would have been more simple and get 60fps easily.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro  Online

@davillain- said:
@Pedro said:

True to that. We are still new into this gen and developers will no doubt need more time to sort things out. I still love Gears...just wish Coalition at least try to innovate the series.

Gears is one of those games that looks amazing but that gameplay and controls are almost the antithesis of the graphics.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

They better stop using ray tracing on consoles or we might as well officially make the RTX 2060 Super the console killer GPU

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990
@davillain- said:

Sounds like the 2070 performs considerably better than the PS5, no? If you mirror PS5 settings at 1440p, do you get a steady 60fps?

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

another easy xbox win

the ps5 version looks washed out.

this is the current limit of the ps5...the serious x has another 40% to give

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Juub1990: my 2070 Super, at least, performs substantially better than the PS5 at 1440p

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

Sounds like the 2070 performs considerably better than the PS5, no? If you mirror PS5 settings at 1440p, do you get a steady 60fps?

I did however in fact overclocked my 2070 as high as it can go, I'm gonna say my 2070 blows the PS5 when it comes to 1440p. (And even more so in 4K)

@bluestars said:

another easy xbox win

the ps5 version looks washed out.

this is the current limit of the ps5...the serious x has another 40% to give

*Looks at PS+ this month*

Hmmm, I think I rather take the washed version over the most powerful version since Control is free to play on PS+ and not trying to knocked the Series X version, I'm just telling it like it is😏

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Terrible port overall.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator

@girlusocrazy said:

PC must stand for Pessimistic and Cynical, all the herms can see is flaws and can't enjoy anything for what it is. No matter how much tech improves they'll want it to be better. Funny thing is they claimed to be happy with this level of performance when it was the best you could get on PC. Being a herm means always chasing the idea of perfection and never being satisfied I guess.

Hopefully they fix the Series stutter.

So much for Godhood lol. But I'm still trying to be a...PC God😇🙏

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Must be a me problem but I can't get into control really enjoyed quantum break.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
@xantufrog said:

@Juub1990: my 2070 Super, at least, performs substantially better than the PS5 at 1440p

@davillain- said:

I did however in fact overclocked my 2070 as high as it can go, I'm gonna say my 2070 blows the PS5 when it comes to 1440p. (And even more so in 4K)

Thank you. Dictator on beyond3d said it performs about on par with a 2060S which I assume is without RT.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xantufrog  Moderator

i can try some benches when i get a spare moment to state just how much @Juub1990

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UnnDunn

@girlusocrazy said:

@bluestars: Nah the Series version looks too dark, probably issues with HDR since this is ported from the One/S/X version. They've always had issues crushing the color space. Cyberpunk has issues on Series as well being too bright.

Series X version doesn't use HDR. At least, it didn't use HDR when I played it last night.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xantufrog  Moderator

@getyeryayasout: that's cool - legit score on that point

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6911 Posts

Played it last night for the first time on PS5. Good looking game but honestly from a visual perspective it's nothing special. The story so far is absolutely nonsense .

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6911 Posts

Played it last night for the first time on PS5. Good looking game but honestly from a visual perspective it's nothing special. The story so far is absolutely nonsense .

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UnnDunn

@getyeryayasout: That's actually a really nice benefit for PS5 owners.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4384 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

Due to the PS5's superior decompression tech Control has a file size of 25.79 GB, where it sits at 42.4 GB on Xbox Series X, according to twistedvoxel.com.

Big console, small file size.

Thank you, Cerny.

well when you have such a small storage drive.... you got to compress it a lot

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:

PC must stand for Pessimistic and Cynical, all the herms can see is flaws and can't enjoy anything for what it is. No matter how much tech improves they'll want it to be better. Funny thing is they claimed to be happy with this level of performance when it was the best you could get on PC. Being a herm means always chasing the idea of perfection and never being satisfied I guess.

Hopefully they fix the Series stutter.

This was never the best you could get on PC. I don't think any herm here would be satisfied with 30 fps and most settings on low. The RTX 2060 which is the bare minimum to do hardware accelerated ray tracing on PC can play the game better than the consoles.

A lot of us are just poking fun at the fact that for about a year the cows and lems have been claiming their next gen consoles would be on par with the RTX 2080 Ti. It's pretty disappointing how weak these consoles are turning out to be once ray tracing is involved. They're like a generation behind Nvidia Turing in it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zero_epyon

@firedrakes said:
@getyeryayasout said:

Due to the PS5's superior decompression tech Control has a file size of 25.79 GB, where it sits at 42.4 GB on Xbox Series X, according to twistedvoxel.com.

Big console, small file size.

Thank you, Cerny.

well when you have such a small storage drive.... you got to compress it a lot

Being able to compress games this much also means faster downloads. At the same speeds, it'll take twice as long to download the game on Series X.