Developer(s) whom you feel are not as good as they were last gen

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Seeing as how this gen has a lot of hurdles compared to last gen which developer you feel were not up to the challenge and didn't deliver titles they have been known for in the past gen. Well for me it has to be Capcom, they were in the top 5 developers last gen with great new games like DMC, Onimusha, Viewtiful Joe along with superb genre defining games like RE4 and Okami. This gen they have completely lost it, and if it wasn't for SF series I doubt I would even notice them. Sigh how the once might have fallen. The loss of Kamiya, Inaba and Mikami definitely had something to do with the way Capcom have been doing business this gen. Most of their games don't even feel like Capcom games anymore.

Anyway what about you guys, any devs come in mind? How about developers who have exceeded expectations?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

I gotta say easily Square. I am not the biggest fan of their games nor JRPG's but they made lots of really good and new rpgs for the ps2. This gen though, I think they really dropped the ball, its almost like they are non-existant outside of their fanbase.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mexicangordo

Seeing as how this gen has a lot of hurdles compared to last gen which developer you feel were not up to the challenge and didn't deliver titles they have been known for in the past gen. Well for me it has to be Capcom, they were in the top 5 developers last gen with great new games like DMC, Onimusha, Viewtiful Joe along with superb genre defining games like RE4 and Okami. This gen they have completely lost it, and if it wasn't for SF series I doubt I would even notice them. Sigh how the once might have fallen. The loss of Kamiya, Inaba and Mikami definitely had something to do with the way Capcom have been doing business this gen. Most of their games don't even feel like Capcom games anymore.

Anyway what about you guys, any devs come in mind? How about developers who have exceeded expectations?

Swift_Boss_A

I know Capcom has had some deep losses however, they were not to bad this gen. Capcom are also one of my favorites in both generations and I did enjoy Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Mega Man 9, SF series, and the the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and Pheonix Wright. Though RE5 will forever be the greatest video game disappointment for me.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

mexicangordo

I know Capcom has had some deep losses however, they were not to bad this gen. Capcom are also one of my favorites in both generations and I did enjoy Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Mega Man 9, SF series, and the the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and Pheonix Wright. Though RE5 will forever be the greatest video game disappointment for me.

Why all the RE5 hate?
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Square, Level 5, Team Ninja

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mexicangordo

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

GulliversTravel

Why all the RE5 hate?

Because it sucked and sucked very hard. If your new to the series i can see the appeal, but old school fans such as myself despise that game. It just became follow the leader, and was generic.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swift_Boss_A

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

GulliversTravel

Why all the RE5 hate?

Well because it's a disappointment? Good game of course but compared to RE4 it was a complete let down. It was pretty much a carbon copy with similar pacing, bosses but with non of the scares. RE4 though more action compared to the usually RE games it had elements of survival horror whilst RE5 was a full on Gears type action game. For a current gen title Capcom stuck to the easy path and failed to move the series forward but instead they did what was popular this gen, and that is making it just another shooter which could have worked if you could run and gun. And don't get me started on the tacked on co-op, they should have kept co-op on a separate mode. Being forced to have a partner throughout the SP playthrough really ticked me off. Sheva actually made me miss Ashley from RE4, yeah the co-op/partner idea was that bad.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
1. Bethesda Need to play Fallout still, but Oblivion was a big step down. And Square is definitely fading fast too.
ZarbonX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZarbonX
Member since 2010 • 356 Posts

Square Enix prefer ff7 to ff13 an prolly kh to versus

BioWare prefer baldurs gate to dragonage/mass effect crap

Bungie not innovated at all keep makin same game on same engine

Betheseda this company is horrible overrated I just thought i should say they sucked a lot last geenn this gen managed to suck worse

Blizzard SC2 definetly not even close to SC1 and in many ways the game didn't innovate at all compared to warcraft 3 and bnet 2.0 is horribad

Ubisoft hate all their games this gen

Take 2 hate their games

DEV's i like this gen

Capcom

Konami - mgs4 prolly the best game this gen

Infinity Ward - obviously know how to make a good shooter

EA sports - usually fun titles

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Capcom might be at the top of my list.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Kojima Production (MGS4 is crap compared to Kojima's other titles) Okay it's better than Lunar Knights but that isn't saying much.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Probably Insomniac. The Resistance games are good but the Ratchet and Clank games aren't as good as they were.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Swift_Boss_A

Kojima Production (MGS4 is crap compared to Kojima's other titles) Okay it's better than Lunar Knights but that isn't saying much.

jasonharris48

What!? Explain yourself! MGS4 is easily one of the best titles by Kojima.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Square Enix - FFXIII pales in comparison to FFX

Bioware - I liked Star Wars: KotoR and Jade Empire more than Mass Effect and Dragon Age

The rest for me have kept the standard from last gen or even raised the bar, for example Nintendo, Konami, Rockstar.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

SQUARE ENIX

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
ID software
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

Konami, Lucasarts?

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Square, Level 5, Team Ninja

jasonharris48
These devs need to step it up.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I think it's Square. I believe they've been on a downward spiral since the PS1 days, and they continually get worse. This generation I think they've sunk to the abysmal bottom. I want to see them put some creativity into their games and also quit trying to make them interactive movies. With that said, I believe their handheld games are superior this gen to their console ones.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
RARE
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Ubisoft. A million times, Ubisoft.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

RAREdramaybaz
Last Gen Rare only had 2 great games. One was a remake. The other was a game that was suppose to be on the N64 but got cancelled and then reskinned with Star Fox characters. The 3rd Console game was actually Rare's 2nd console game that gen first with Microsoft.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="dramaybaz"]RARENintendo_Ownes7

Last Gen Rare only had 2 great games. One was a remake. The other was a game that was suppose to be on the N64 but got cancelled and then reskinned with Star Fox characters. The 3rd Console game was actually Rare's 2nd console game that gen first with Microsoft.

Yeah, I'm surprised it took that long for Rare to get mentioned, but it's still wrong.... Much as I liked Dinosaur Planet, they've still made more good console games this gen than console games in total last gen (they were mostly relegated to GBA).
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Probably IO interactive. Last gen the had Hitman 2&3 and of course Freedom Fighters. This gen they've had the "alright" blood money and K&L. Hopefully the new K&L game will be much better.

JONO51
This. I miss the awesomesauce that was Hitman 2.
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Square-Enix and Capcom.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
SE and Capcom.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

Japanese Developers as a whole especially Square Enix

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

A team or two at Nintendo. But the rest are fine over there.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="GulliversTravel"][QUOTE="mexicangordo"] I know Capcom has had some deep losses however, they were not to bad this gen. Capcom are also one of my favorites in both generations and I did enjoy Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Mega Man 9, SF series, and the the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, and Pheonix Wright. Though RE5 will forever be the greatest video game disappointment for me.

mexicangordo

Why all the RE5 hate?

Because it sucked and sucked very hard. If your new to the series i can see the appeal, but old school fans such as myself despise that game. It just became follow the leader, and was generic.

I swear the word generic has got to be the most misused term this gen. A close second is overrated. There was nothing generic about that game. It's design and gameplay were very specific to the series. You may have detested it, but generic was the one thing it was not.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heretrix

Ubisoft. A million times, Ubisoft.mo0ksi
Yeah. And what the hell happened to their artists? Their games look noticeably worse now than they did at the beginning of this gen.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
square enix an capcom have to be the worst offenders.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Capcom weren't that great last gen either... all those Capcom vs X games they had to release just to stay alive.
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Square Enix, Level 5 and Triace.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Swift_Boss_A
Japanese Developers as a whole especially Square EnixThe__Havoc
I agree for the most part and that's the one thing that I feel is stopping this gen from being truly special. Last gen there were great Western title and amazing Japanese games but this gen there are superb western titles and pretty good Japanese games. You see what I mean? Japanese devs really have to bring up their game. I think the problem is that they are not as good multi-tasking, by that I mean when they have to make a game multiplatform the title suffers. Western devs can do it fine but Japanese devs seem to work better exclusively, making games for one at a time which they are not doing this gen! lol. They need to stop thinking about what Western gamers like and just concentrate on making games only they know how to make best. Titles like Okami, ZOE, Dark Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, SH1-3, so on and so forth. No more of these western imitated games like LostPlanet2 and perverted crap like Bayonetta and more lasting gems.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heretrix

No more of these western imitated games like LostPlanet2 and perverted crap like Bayonetta and more lasting gems. Swift_Boss_A
Bayonetta was excellent. What's perverted about it?

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Androvinus
Capcom weren't that great last gen either... all those Capcom vs X games they had to release just to stay alive.JohnF111
Resident evil: code veronica X, Resident evil 4, capcom vs snk 2, devil may cry 1,2 ,3, okami, viewtiful joe 1,2, onimusha 1,2,3,....sounds like capcom was pretty good last gen to me.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#38 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
Capcom. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Bethesda.. Morrowind actually felt like a rpg.. Oblivion seems like a weaksauce action adventure game with pretend rpg elements. Seriously I felt Starcraft 2 singleplayer had more rpg elements then freaking Oblivion.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Androvinus
[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]Japanese Developers as a whole especially Square EnixSwift_Boss_A
I agree for the most part and that's the one thing that I feel is stopping this gen from being truly special. Last gen there were great Western title and amazing Japanese games but this gen there are superb western titles and pretty good Japanese games. You see what I mean? Japanese devs really have to bring up their game. I think the problem is that they are not as good multi-tasking, by that I mean when they have to make a game multiplatform the title suffers. Western devs can do it fine but Japanese devs seem to work better exclusively, making games for one at a time which they are not doing this gen! lol. They need to stop thinking about what Western gamers like and just concentrate on making games only they know how to make best. Titles like Okami, ZOE, Dark Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, SH1-3, so on and so forth. No more of these western imitated games like LostPlanet2 and perverted crap like Bayonetta and more lasting gems.

i just have to say that bayonetta is the kind of stuff japanese like a lot more than westerners
SilverTemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SilverTemo
Member since 2010 • 49 Posts

Ubisoft. A million times, Ubisoft.mo0ksi

This. though Scott Pilgrim does look promising imo.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Swift_Boss_A

[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"] No more of these western imitated games like LostPlanet2 and perverted crap like Bayonetta and more lasting gems. heretrix

Bayonetta was excellent. What's perverted about it?

Oh I dunno.... the fact that she goes almost nude everytime you pull off an attack(special). I mean I wouldn't have had a problem with the nudity if the game was fun and she was half decent looking. Also The cheese factor was unbearable, in DMC it was good, nothing over the top but Bayonetta was just awful stinking cheese lol. And I know the defenders of Bayonetta would have no problem turning this into a 'Bayonetta is teh win thread' so I'd like to leave this discussion here and get back to the topic thank you very much. I would say though that the game wont stand the test of time like other awesome titles by Japanese devs.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Capcom, last gen they had a multitude of great titles.... this gen...........not so much.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Capcom is a mixed bag though. I don't think a lot of people played some of the better Cappy titles this gen like Zack and Wiki.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Capcom, Nintendo, Ubisoft.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"]Ubisoft. A million times, Ubisoft.heretrix

Yeah. And what the hell happened to their artists? Their games look noticeably worse now than they did at the beginning of this gen.

It seemed that way after Prince of Persia 2008, or around that time anyway. Even Assassin's Creed 2, which was one of the very rare moments of Ubisoft being great this gen, looked rather stale.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

SQUARE ENIX

Ravenchrome
Same for me. Although I'm not sure if they're failing more as developers or publishers this gen.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#48 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Capcom is a mixed bag though. I don't think a lot of people played some of the better Cappy titles this gen like Zack and Wiki.

ActicEdge
That or Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

LucasArts has been fail this generation imo.

but that's just me. I haven't bought a single Star Wars game this generation, and I've been a decent Star Wars fan for a good decade or so.

Battlefront 3 PL0X:|

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

I second Lucas Arts. Last gen we got Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and then throw in Republic Commando, Kotor, Kotor II, and the Battlefront series. What have we gotten this gen? A RTS and a mediocre Force Unleashed series. I haven't bought a single Star Wars game this gen.