Deus Ex: Human Revolution Hype Thread (New Reviews!) (HYPE- AAA)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1051 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Finally got around to beating it last night. Now that I have, I think that Kevin nailed it with an 8.5. Great game on the whole, but the brain dead A.I. and lackluster boss battles can't just be glossed over either. While I enjoyed getting vengeance, the boss encounters just were not very compelling, nor very challenging. Some of the easily manipulated A.I. becomes a walk in the park towards the end and all of the hacking and vent crawling gets a bit redundant as well. Above all of that, the game is still a great ride overall. It just did not leave me with the great impressions from the first few hours, but still left me satisfied all the same.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1052 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
I went to Montreal thinking ya imba new zone then it was only be stuck in 1 building then back to Detroit? is the game close to being done? Allthishate
You're about halfway to two thirds of the way through, as far as I know, say 60%. Still lots to be done.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1053 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

This game was a really big dissapointment for me. I would rather go and play the original rather than finish this one.GeneralShowzer
I'm a massive fan of the original, I still consider it the best game ever.

It may be slightly disapointing but it's still better than most other recent games.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1054 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DAdobeArtist

They're not as cool as this.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#1055 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DCherokee_Jack

*Dragon tooth sword*

Pretty much. The lack of melee weapons is a huge disapointment as far as I´m concerned,it was a huge part of the gameplay in the first one and seeing it replaced by takedowns is just sad.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1056 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]This game was a really big dissapointment for me. I would rather go and play the original rather than finish this one.toast_burner

It may be slightly disapointing but it's still better than most other recent games.

I found the level design severely lacking compared to the original Deus Ex. Seems like you can achieve everything and get anywhere in this game if you only use shafts.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1057 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DArach666

*Dragon tooth sword*

Pretty much. The lack of melee weapons is a huge disapointment as far as I´m concerned,it was a huge part of the gameplay in the first one and seeing it replaced by takedowns is just sad.

The takedowns would only make sense to me if you could preform them only on unalarmed enemies. Enemies that haven't spotted you, and only from behind them. Otherwise it just makes it too easy, and there is very little punishment in getting spotted.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1058 Arach666
[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

*Dragon tooth sword*

GeneralShowzer

The takedowns would only make sense to me if you could preform them only on unalarmed enemies. Enemies that haven't spotted you, and only from behind them. Otherwise it just makes it too easy, and there is very little punishment in getting spotted.

Pretty much,it makes the game a cakewalk,even on the hardest dificulty wich is the one I´m playing now. Provided you have bateries,you just have to run to a guy and press the button,and if you want you can do that through the whole game...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1059 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]This game was a really big dissapointment for me. I would rather go and play the original rather than finish this one.GeneralShowzer

I found the level design severely lacking compared to the original Deus Ex. Seems like you can achieve everything and get anywhere in this game if you only use shafts.

I agree. I hench why I liked the original more. But despite its flaws it's still a great game.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1061 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]I'm a massive fan of the original, I still consider it the best game ever.

toast_burner

I agree. I hench why I liked the original more. But despite its flaws it's still a great game.

Yeah, no doubt about it . I finished it once, going for it again .
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1062 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I agree, so much better. I hated using melee in Deus Ex as it was just boring and melee just felt off and really bad. Take downs are much, much better.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1063 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :Dmillerlight89
I agree, so much better. I hated using melee in Deus Ex as it was just boring and melee just felt off and really bad. Take downs are much, much better.

Meh. They make the game waaaaay too easy and I hate constantly losing control of my character.

The game should have had both takedowns and regular base melee attack that used either melee weapons or your arm-blade (which would not take a battery cell but on the flip side would not always be a 1 shot K.O.)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1064 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DArach666

*Dragon tooth sword*

To be fair, the Dragon's Tooth was incredibly overpowered and made all close-quarters combat in the game a joke (even without much melee training).

I don't think it hurts HR that much not having melee. For me melee in the first became useless pretty quickly, other than the Dragon's Tooth. I always just tasered or did a headshot if I was close and needed a quiet takedown.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1065 Arach666

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

*Dragon tooth sword*

Cherokee_Jack

To be fair, the Dragon's Tooth was incredibly overpowered and made all close-quarters combat in the game a joke (even without much melee training).

I don't think it hurts HR that much not having melee. For me melee in the first became useless pretty quickly, other than the Dragon's Tooth. I always just tasered or did a headshot if I was close and needed a quiet takedown.

True,it was lol,but still pretty fun to use. I guess it´s more because they ditched weapon and item crates in this one that melee stuff became more unnecessary,though I would still have liked to have something in this one. Even that IW turd had them . :P
Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1066 Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DJankarcop

Meh. They make the game waaaaay too easy and I hate constantly losing control of my character.

The game should have had both takedowns and regular base melee attack that used either melee weapons or your arm-blade (which would not take a battery cell but on the flip side would not always be a 1 shot K.O.)

I disagree. I found this game to be much harder than the original Deus Ex is. Takedowns didn't bother me at all considering how bad the melee weapons tended to function in the original. Takedowns weren't nearly the be-all end-all you make them sound like, at least not in my playthroughs. Yes they were helpful of course, but their reliance on batteries made them something you had to carefully consider a lot of the time. And with how quickly you get gunned down on higher difficulties I can't see melee weapons working outside of a heavy stealth character. In Deus Ex you could take the speed aug and health regen aug and bull-rush people with the Dragon Sword and never die.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1067 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

The takedowns made the stealth gameplay too easy for my taste. I hope someone manages to mod some melee mechanics into the game (and leaning as well). The less "press a button and something awesome happens" the better. ;)

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1068 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Im about start my 2nd playthrough but wonder how "Foxiest of the hounds: Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without setting off any alarms" achievement will work. With "alarms" do they mean when enemy spot you and radar turns red/hostile or just when they hear you and searching for you? I mean sometimes it is kinda impossible to avoid to get "alarm" on radar :?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1069 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

So true. The melee was painfully bad in the original Deus Ex.

Take downs are just one of the many things HR surpasses the original.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1070 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Im about start my 2nd playthrough but wonder how "Foxiest of the hounds: Complete Deus Ex: Human Revolution without setting off any alarms" achievement will work. With "alarms" do they mean when enemy spot you and radar turns red/hostile or just when they hear you and searching for you? I mean sometimes it is kinda impossible to avoid to get "alarm" on radar :?

aroxx_ab
It's if you set off any alarms. If a enemy goes "Red hostile" and hits the alarm, or finds a dead/knocked out buddy and hits the alarm, or you are spotted by a security camera. Just having hostile enemies doesn't break it. Just be sure you get in hostile situations sparingly as you never know where the alarms could be or how close someone around the corner is to it.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1071 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]* takedowns are way more fun and cool than any knife or baton :DIronBass

So true. The melee was painfully bad in the original Deus Ex.

Take downs are just one of the many things HR surpasses the original.

Atleast DX1 had melee combat. Takedowns aren't melee combat, they are cutscenes enabled when you press a button near an enemy.

I would have liked both.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1072 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

I'm so upset my first playthrough was a pacifist run and I think when I was killing a robot with a EMP grenade it exploding had killed two knocked out guards....and I didn't get my pacifist achievment!

I was trying to get Foxiest of Foxes and Pacifist in the same run...sad panda now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1073 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Atleast DX1 had melee combat. Takedowns aren't melee combat, they are cutscenes enabled when you press a button near an enemy.

I would have liked both.

Jankarcop

I wouldn't. No need to include a bad game mechanic when a far superior one gets the job done.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1074 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

Jynxzor

It's if you set off any alarms. If a enemy goes "Red hostile" and hits the alarm, or finds a dead/knocked out buddy and hits the alarm, or you are spotted by a security camera. Just having hostile enemies doesn't break it. Just be sure you get in hostile situations sparingly as you never know where the alarms could be or how close someone around the corner is to it.

Ah cool, i thought get red hostile enemies was "alarm" for sure, it is that hard as i first thought then thx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1075 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Because no hype thread is complete without its respective PA comic.

(On-topic, I didn't find the boss battles that bad, they're especially susceptible to mines, which are easy to find, so it's easy to end the fights quickly).

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1076 GeneralShowzer

I like the visuals very much.

The color pallet, art-style, good use of DOF and blur, the enviroments packed with huge ammounts of detail.

They could have put some more polygons on the characters though.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1077 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

[QUOTE="BlackoutGunshot"]Just finished. Amazing game, best on this gen. I did a playthrough where I tried not to kill innocent people (the police, for example) but brutalized the mercs. I had only a couple criticisms: - The battery thing is stupid. I don't mind that only the first recharges, but then why have the other three batteries? Did anybody actually waste Praxis points getting those upgraded? Either have them all manual, recharge them all, or just leave it at one battery, but the way they left it in the game makes no sense. - Where did Melee weapons go, and why? I really wanted a knife or baton. I know Takedowns replace melee weapons, but they take time, energy, and they make noise. - Some augments seemed useless, and they got rid of weapon proficiency augments from the first one. I missed those a lot, really wanted to level up my sniping skills. I did not have any issues with: - The boss fights, but I didn't do a completely pacifist play through, so maybe it seems more out of place then. I thought they were pretty fun. The first was the most difficult for me. - The voice acting. It was charmingly bad, just like the first game. - The graphics. I don't need every game to look photo realistic. AdobeArtist

* I hear you on the battery thing. It seems odd to me that you go to the trouble to upgrade your energy capacity, and can only do a partial recharge.

What they should have done is include augments to allow recharge of more than one battery, all the way up to all five.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1078 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="BlackoutGunshot"]Just finished. Amazing game, best on this gen. I did a playthrough where I tried not to kill innocent people (the police, for example) but brutalized the mercs. I had only a couple criticisms: - The battery thing is stupid. I don't mind that only the first recharges, but then why have the other three batteries? Did anybody actually waste Praxis points getting those upgraded? Either have them all manual, recharge them all, or just leave it at one battery, but the way they left it in the game makes no sense. - Where did Melee weapons go, and why? I really wanted a knife or baton. I know Takedowns replace melee weapons, but they take time, energy, and they make noise. - Some augments seemed useless, and they got rid of weapon proficiency augments from the first one. I missed those a lot, really wanted to level up my sniping skills. I did not have any issues with: - The boss fights, but I didn't do a completely pacifist play through, so maybe it seems more out of place then. I thought they were pretty fun. The first was the most difficult for me. - The voice acting. It was charmingly bad, just like the first game. - The graphics. I don't need every game to look photo realistic. MirkoS77

* I hear you on the battery thing. It seems odd to me that you go to the trouble to upgrade your energy capacity, and can only do a partial recharge.

What they should have done is include augments to allow recharge of more than one battery, all the way up to all five.

I was surprised to find out that you couldn't recharge more than one bar..felt like i wasted points upgrading it to max.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1079 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

lawlessx

I was surprised to find out that you couldn't recharge more than one bar..felt like i wasted points upgrading it to max.

Yea it felt like a complete waste. Especially because energy bars weren't that easy to come by (at least for me).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1080 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

I like the visuals very much.

The color pallet, art-style, good use of DOF and blur, the enviroments packed with huge ammounts of detail.

They could have put some more polygons on the characters though.

GeneralShowzer
Tessellated the characeter models are around 60k from 8k. They aren't short on polygons, it is the materials that have a huge range for improvement.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1081 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i played against the first boss yesterday...i seriously dont know why it gets so much hate for boss battles.. i saw nothing wrong with it. I thought it was pretty cool, ive seen far worse. He died pretty easily by my grenades too lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1082 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

why everyone says barret is a hard boss??? he is not!!! i beat him in 5 tries. with my magnum and 2 grenades. on deus ex difficulty. without dermal aug. you just have to use some cover. i actually felt underwhelmed by his difficulty, i wanted more!

Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1083 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
Barret is easy peesy. Throw gas at him or spam Typhoon, it all works. Anyway I'm on my second playthrough, being Rambo is so OP.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1084 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts

why everyone says barret is a hard boss??? he is not!!! i beat him in 5 tries. with my magnum and 2 grenades. on deus ex difficulty. without dermal aug. you just have to use some cover. i actually felt underwhelmed by his difficulty, i wanted more!

ioannisdenton

I guess the point is that everyone playing stealthy non-lethal characters would have difficulty with the bosses, since they won't have any proper weapons, damaging grenades, or armour mods.

Then again, I still killed Barrett on my first try with just the stun gun and tranquiliser darts. He's stupidly easy, unlike...say, Namir, who's pretty much impossible without admitting defeat and picking up that shotgun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1085 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

[QUOTE="ioannisdenton"]

Planeforger

I guess the point is that everyone playing stealthy non-lethal characters would have difficulty with the bosses, since they won't have any proper weapons, damaging grenades, or armour mods.

Then again, I still killed Barrett on my first try with just the stun gun and tranquiliser darts. He's stupidly easy, unlike...say, Namir, who's pretty much impossible without admitting defeat and picking up that shotgun.

the whole place had greandes , exlosive barreels and ammo for every weapon!!! please mind the spoilers dude!!!! i am JUST after barret!!!! thank god i stopped reading!