Defining a Hardcore Platform

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="Fatkiwi"]Games or game systems cannot be hardcore. Only gamers can be hardcore.Zerostatic0
Yeah, I mean many people wouldn't say the Wii is hardcore or that Wii Sports is hardcore, but if there is somebody out there who plays it several hours every day, has a perfect score ranking in all 5 games and has gotten to the point where he can beat people blindfolded, are you telling me that dude isn't hardcore? Hell yeah he's hardcore, much more so than the guy who plays Halo 3 for a couple of hour each week and is just an average player.

I'd have to agree here-it's the players that take it to the next level, so to speak, that make a game hardcore. Hell, there could be hardcore Pong players for all I know... Anyway, to throw my two cents into the debate, I'd have to say that there is no single definition of "hardcore". Falcon 4.0, especially in Open Falcon 4.5 flavor, is indeed a very hardcore game. No, it's not so much the mastering of the F-16's various subsystems as it is the incredibly daunting task of, say, trying to take out a MiG-29 with just your guns(something that is much more difficult than you'd think). IL-2 Sturmovik can be just as hardcore, as while the avionics for WWII aircraft are much simpler, the act of flying and especially fighting in the aircraft are still quite difficult, especially when you have to deal with each aircraft's particular tendencies for stalls and spins in flight much moreso than you do modern jets. However, this doesn't mean that Ikaruga is not a hardcore game, as while the game's mechanics are quite simple, actually trying to survive that hailstorm of bullets with opposite colors is a daunting task in itself. As to which is more hardcore than the other, I will not judge. Some people like this type of hardcore gaming, other people like that type of hardcore gaming, and I'm not going to say that one group of people are totally wrong when it comes to what makes a game hardcore. EDIT: I almost forgot to make a note to myself to buy the GCN version of Ikaruga, whenever I have the spare cash to do so. That, and Radiant Silvergun(though that'll be the Saturn version).
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#52 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
I have a better way of defining a hardcore platform: is it the Neo Geo :P?
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

[QUOTE="Zerostatic0"][QUOTE="Fatkiwi"]Games or game systems cannot be hardcore. Only gamers can be hardcore.NamelessPlayer
Yeah, I mean many people wouldn't say the Wii is hardcore or that Wii Sports is hardcore, but if there is somebody out there who plays it several hours every day, has a perfect score ranking in all 5 games and has gotten to the point where he can beat people blindfolded, are you telling me that dude isn't hardcore? Hell yeah he's hardcore, much more so than the guy who plays Halo 3 for a couple of hour each week and is just an average player.

I'd have to agree here-it's the players that take it to the next level, so to speak, that make a game hardcore. Hell, there could be hardcore Pong players for all I know... Anyway, to throw my two cents into the debate, I'd have to say that there is no single definition of "hardcore". Falcon 4.0, especially in Open Falcon 4.5 flavor, is indeed a very hardcore game. No, it's not so much the mastering of the F-16's various subsystems as it is the incredibly daunting task of, say, trying to take out a MiG-29 with just your guns(something that is much more difficult than you'd think). IL-2 Sturmovik can be just as hardcore, as while the avionics for WWII aircraft are much simpler, the act of flying and especially fighting in the aircraft are still quite difficult, especially when you have to deal with each aircraft's particular tendencies for stalls and spins in flight much moreso than you do modern jets. However, this doesn't mean that Ikaruga is not a hardcore game, as while the game's mechanics are quite simple, actually trying to survive that hailstorm of bullets with opposite colors is a daunting task in itself. As to which is more hardcore than the other, I will not judge. Some people like this type of hardcore gaming, other people like that type of hardcore gaming, and I'm not going to say that one group of people are totally wrong when it comes to what makes a game hardcore. EDIT: I almost forgot to make a note to myself to buy the GCN version of Ikaruga, whenever I have the spare cash to do so. That, and Radiant Silvergun(though that'll be the Saturn version).

I would recommend the Dreamcast version over the GCN version, because the GCN version has some text missing. Plus the Dreamcast supports VGA monitors, whereas getting the component cables for the GCN (so you can hook it up to an LCD monitor and rotate it) would be quite the pain.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I would recommend the Dreamcast version over the GCN version, because the GCN version has some text missing. Plus the Dreamcast supports VGA monitors, whereas getting the component cables for the GCN (so you can hook it up to an LCD monitor and rotate it) would be quite the pain.subrosian
I used to have a launch-era GCN with component cables, but it got shipped over to some family in the Philippines when I got the Wii(which I also have component cables for). I don't have a Dreamcast, but I suppose I could buy the DC version and let my PC do the dirty work of running it.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
What the hell is a hardcore platform?RK-Mara
I don't know.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

[QUOTE="subrosian"]I would recommend the Dreamcast version over the GCN version, because the GCN version has some text missing. Plus the Dreamcast supports VGA monitors, whereas getting the component cables for the GCN (so you can hook it up to an LCD monitor and rotate it) would be quite the pain.NamelessPlayer
I used to have a launch-era GCN with component cables, but it got shipped over to some family in the Philippines when I got the Wii(which I also have component cables for). I don't have a Dreamcast, but I suppose I could buy the DC version and let my PC do the dirty work of running it.

If you have a Wii with Component Cables, get the GCN version, even with the missing text, it has other features like Slo-Mo and Training Mode that are pretty useful, along with the art galleries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I'm still hunting down the GC version.Quite a rare title.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Reminds me of Galaga, but more vibrant like Geometry Wars.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What the hell is a hardcore platform?RK-Mara

Supposedly it is only a platform that has Ikaruga on it and has nothing to do with the individual themselves. :roll:

I'm still hunting down the GC version.Quite a rare title.VGobbsesser

Good luck. Not only do I doubt you will find it, if you do you will be paying out the ass for it. A friend of mine paid $70 for a copy that when it arrived didn't work.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

Absolutely sadistic... http://youtube.com/watch?v=ToBdzV7w5Pcfoxhound_fox

:o I get a challenge from playing games like Galaga and GeoWars like I mentioned. Those were never just a pick-up-and-play type-of-game-that-you-could-master-in-one-sitting, this looks like a fusion between the two with an "Impossible" difficulty level :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Good luck. Not only do I doubt you will find it, if you do you will be paying out the ass for it. A friend of mine paid $70 for a copy that when it arrived didn't work.foxhound_fox

New goal: Find a (working) copy of Ikaruga,and then rub it in foxhound's face.:P