Debunking the PS3's alleged Blu-Ray advantage

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
this is what i find disturbing
" Debunking the PS3's alleged Blu-Ray advantage"
why name it that when you can keep Blu-ray's for ever and 360 is only rental's :|
thats your point right that Xbox360 can play HD movies also but there all rental's :| blu-rays are for ever like diamonds :DSquall_Griver
How often are you likely to watch *any* movie? Maybe for your absolute favorites you would watch them more than four or five times, but an HD movie rental on XBL is only $5. You can rent the same movie four to six times on Xbox Live for the price of the same movie on BluRay ($20-30 is the average BD price). Are you honestly going to watch any movie that many times?

and PS3 will be getting HD (downloadable) movies also and can play blu-ray movies thats the advantage ps3 has
360 needs a soon to be dead HD-dvd drive to play hd movies
Squall_Griver
The fact that the PS3 is getting downloadable movies is not a black mark against the 360, but it DOES support the TC's point that the BluRay drive is no advantage at all.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 magus-21
[QUOTE="RKFS"]The 360 is more furturistic... lilrush
:lol: You mean the console that comes with no next-gen HD format, brought out an add-on of a dying HD format (for use with movies only, to boot), uses AA batteries in the controller, a weaker 3.7 MHz signal, and comes with no HDMI and a measley 20 GB HD? ha.

"Weaker 3.7MHz signal"? LOL, you know nothing. ALL short-range wireless devices (Bluetooth, MS Wireless, Logitech wireless, WiFi, etc.) operate on the 3.8 GHz frequency band.
cheatymcshifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 cheatymcshifty
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts
Eh.. I dont like waiting half an hour just to start watching the movie.. then having it pause when its an hour and a half into it because my internet is being crappy... not to mention taking every single bit of bandwidth you have on your connection to do it.. like.. if you want to use the internet or anyone else who lives with you wants too.. dont give me that "i have a 20MBPS connection" line... how many people have that fast of internet (less than have a 1080p TV, i guarantee.. Not to mention even a say.. 5 MBPS connection (stil, very, very fast) it's not gonna always dl that fast.. and still takes along time to dl that stuff I'd rather just run to the store, get back, and start the movie before the xbox would even LET you start the movie .. I know, whenever i'm at my bros, we look thorugh xbox's movies and just say screw it and watch TV.. or jsut run down to blockbuster Plus, there in 720p.. 1080 is still not huge, but.. really, just imagine dl'ing a 1080p movie... (if they add those) 15+ GB... sweet...
volcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 volcus
Member since 2006 • 311 Posts
Whilst the ps3 isn't supposed to be primarily a bluray player  having one is a big incentive for some people. Being the cheapest bluray player means that anyone who wants one can get a ps3 and have the extra advantage of games. If bluray does happen to win the format war, than ps3 will seem very affordable and good value. Most people still hire and buy their movies rather than download them, so thats another reason too. While its a risk by sony, they will be greatly rewarded if bluray pulls through. Plus, it offers greater space for games and devs - so why not have it? 
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 magus-21
If bluray does happen to win the format war, than ps3 will seem very affordable and good value. volcus
BluRay's all but won the format war, but people still don't see the PS3 as affordable and good value. Why? BECAUSE IT'S STILL BLOODY $600! That's not affordable OR good value. You're assuming that EVERYONE wants BluRay, when the fact of the matter is that the VAST majority of the American public thinks DVD is perfectly adequate, even on an HDTV. Good upscaling DVD players cost less than $150, and they deliver 99% of the moviegoing experience. Until BluRay comes down below DVD's 2000 prices (i.e. $20 per movie, $300 or less per player), it will not take off, and it will not be a selling point.
azrealhk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 azrealhk
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts
I cannot imagine how any one with a HDTV can be satisfied with DVD quality. I do not have Bluray or HD DVD, but they are definately my next electronics purchase once the price comes down to a reasonable level.
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 magus-21
[QUOTE="azrealhk"]I cannot imagine how any one with a HDTV can be satisfied with DVD quality. I do not have Bluray or HD DVD, but they are definately my next electronics purchase once the price comes down to a reasonable level.

If you're on this forum, you're automatically more "HD aware" than the vast majority of consumers. Hell, I'm more HD aware than most folks, and I'm more than satisfied with DVD at the moment. You do not need to see the extra pores and smudges on Theoden's face in HD to enjoy the Ride of the Rohirrim in Return of the King.
XTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 XTy
Member since 2006 • 2434 Posts

The HD that you download is just High Res. Regular DVD's...nothing more.

Did you really think those downloads that are 3gigs big would compete with HDDVD and BLu-Ray's 15GIG PLUS QUALITY.
THINK ABOUT IT.

XTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 XTy

I'm not even going to respond to this as absolutely everything you've said is cleared up in the first post, and half the stuff you say is flat-out incorrect.Ninja-Vox

Read my post above, your entire thread is ruined, since you didn't understand TECH. 

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 magus-21

Did you really think those downloads that are 3gigs big would compete with HDDVD and BLu-Ray's 15GIG PLUS QUALITY.
THINK ABOUT IT.

XTy
HD-DVD and BluRay movies are 1080p. XBL movies are 720p, which occupy about half the space of 1080p. And honestly, the only movies that would actually use more than 20 gigabytes are MPEG-2 movies, because MPEG-2 is three times more inefficient than VC-1, MPEG-4, H.264, etc. Any movies encoded in those newer codecs would only occupy about 10-15 gigabytes or less, with the rest of the disc going to HD special features.
XTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 XTy
[QUOTE="XTy"]

THINK ABOUT IT.

magus-21

HD-DVD and BluRay movies are 1080p. XBL movies are 720p, which occupy about half the space of 1080p. And honestly, the only movies that would actually use more than 20 gigabytes are MPEG-2 movies, because MPEG-2 is three times more inefficient than VC-1, MPEG-4, H.264, etc. Any movies encoded in those newer codecs would only occupy about 10-15 gigabytes or less, with the rest of the disc going to HD special features.

Dude, M$ already said that they aren't even close to the same quality. Of course, this is VERY, VERY Obvious if you tried the service, as I have, that's why I own the HD-DVD player.

And for the record, initially HD-DVD didn't EVER do 1080p. 

Anyways, there's no point in arguing, they aren't even close to the same in quality. 

choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts

What i find funny is that the TC is paying $6 to rent a 720p movie ...

While you can rent Blu-ray movies for the same price ... if not LESS then that ...

Next - you can BUY blu-ray movies ... can you buy 1080p movies on 360 - no, why? too big size ...

next - do your movie rentals come with deleted scences and bonus fottage etc. you know that 30gb / 25gb-50gb that HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies come with ...

Next - PS3 uses Blu-ray for games changing the maximun size of 1 disc games from 9.4gb to 25gb / 50gb ...

In the end do not dismiss PS3's Blu-ray abilities due to the fact that if you delete your demo's and stuff you can rent a movie or 2 ...

Ohh and downloading movies is great FOR YOU ... but some of us like me here in Australia have crappy internet ... 10gb a month download limit Broadband ... how many movies could i view per month ? compared to howmany Blue-ray movies could i rent in the same period ... ? 

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 magus-21
[QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="XTy"]

THINK ABOUT IT.

XTy

Dude, M$ already said that they aren't even close to the same quality. Of course, this is VERY, VERY Obvious if you tried the service, as I have, that's why I own the HD-DVD player.

Anyways, there's no point in arguing, they aren't even close to the same in quality.

HD-DVD was ALWAYS 1080p. Early HD-DVD players, however, did not output 1080p. And yes, MS said they aren't the same quality BECAUSE XBL IS 720p AND HD-DVD/BLU-RAY ARE 1080p.
XTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 XTy
[QUOTE="XTy"][QUOTE="magus-21"][QUOTE="XTy"]

THINK ABOUT IT.

magus-21

HD-DVD was ALWAYS 1080p. Early HD-DVD players, however, did not output 1080p. And yes, MS said they aren't the same quality BECAUSE XBL IS 720p AND HD-DVD/BLU-RAY ARE 1080p.

That's not why at all...I need to go back to my AV forums, since this is crazy talk up in here. 

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts

The 360's hd content is limited to rental and by the 20 gig hard drive, so how is having a blu-ray player standard not a advantage??

Also won"t the ps3 have similar hd content on psn??? 

ChiChiMonKilla
1. It cost more. 2. Saying it is an advantage just based off having a PS3 makes whoever says it a moron, cause not everyone has a HDMonitor/tv 3. Your only favorite moves could be supported by HD-DVD only.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiChiMonKilla"]

The 360's hd content is limited to rental and by the 20 gig hard drive, so how is having a blu-ray player standard not a advantage??

Also won"t the ps3 have similar hd content on psn???

Pro_wrestler

1. It cost more. 2. Saying it is an advantage just based off having a PS3 makes whoever says it a moron, cause not everyone has a HDMonitor/tv 3. Your only favorite moves could be supported by HD-DVD only.

I can rent Blu-Ray for the same price as the Live! HD downloads. So we're back to the PS3 costing more now?  

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#67 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I'm not bashing on the PS3 here, before i even start. I am bothered however, by two of my friends who sing the praises of the machine because it's built-in Blu-Ray player. It doesn't matter if you point out the unimpressive games (and i'm not saying it'll always be that way....), they will always come back with the "yeah man, but it's got a high-def movie player built right in!"

And that, is the supposed advantage over the 360 and justification for the increased price. Because the PS3 has a built-in high-def video player.

Well, so does the 360. Right now i can go on xbox live, and even though i have a gold membership i dont need one - it's completely free for everybody who owns a 360 - and i can go to the video marketplace and download myself an episode of south park in HD. Or a full movie for that matter, in high-def.

And it's hardly just a little add-on. XBox Live is the bigger provider of HD movies via the internet, that's how big it is. Only one site beats it in terms of overall video downloads (including standard definition) and that's iTunes. And what's more, the cost of downloading these movies is about a fifth of the cost of a blu-ray movie, and that's before you factor in the extra $100 you paid for the PS3.

I realise there are downsides to some extent; for example the movie is a rental. You watch it a certain number of times and then it's gone; but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.

I think microsoft need to make people more aware of all the stuff the 360 can do. There's no reason why the PS3 should be see as some superior media-machine. The only thing it's really got that the 360 doesn't is the web browser.

Thoughts? 

Ninja-Vox
TV shows can be downloaded over and over after just paying once. I wish once you rented a movie you could download it again for a reduced rate. I agree with you, though.
Utensilman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 Utensilman
Member since 2006 • 1571 Posts
You sir are a "smart" Lemming. i thank you for not posting all in caps and using complete sentences (joking) But yea i do take advantage of the XBL HD movie Downloads quite frequently. And to say the least....it's very convenient.
haols

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 haols
Member since 2005 • 2348 Posts
Not much HD movies in a 20 gig HDD wouldnt you agree?

single layered BD-roms have more space than that :|
Squall_Griver
You know, any USB drive is useable with the 360. Otherwise, just hook it up to a network and you guessed it, just as much space as your computer has.
BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 BlazeDragon132
Member since 2006 • 7951 Posts
I do agree that 360 and PS3 are the same for now, but the Cell is still very unused. Although I do like the way PSN Home presents itself better than XBL. The fact also is that Blu-Ray cost more than HD-DVD and MS is selling it at the exact advantage point of PS3. I wouldn't bash HD-DVD as much if MS sold it for 100-150 bucks cause the format isn't half bad with its exclusives. Still though, I am getting all 3 consoles due to having 2 of them and PS3 will be provided by senior trip fund. And if you want to bash me for getting PS3, bash away, I don't care...
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]I'm not even going to respond to this as absolutely everything you've said is cleared up in the first post, and half the stuff you say is flat-out incorrect.XTy

Read my post above, your entire thread is ruined, since you didn't understand TECH.

The TC is so in denial.

First he compare the cost of RENTING and BUYING.

Then he compare 720p with 1080p

And then he tried to justify 20Gb as enough for 2 movies. 

Finally, must have an internet connection is a REQUIREMENT, not an advantage. The movie is not gonna play anywhere else without the Xbox AND an internet connection.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 magus-21
[QUOTE="XTy"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]I'm not even going to respond to this as absolutely everything you've said is cleared up in the first post, and half the stuff you say is flat-out incorrect.tranhgiang

The TC is so in denial.

First he compare the cost of RENTING and BUYING.

Then he compare 720p with 1080p

And then he tried to justify 20Gb as enough for 2 movies.

Finally, must have an internet connection is a REQUIREMENT, not an advantage. The movie is not gonna play anywhere else without the Xbox AND an internet connection.

TC is saying that the PS3's advantage in playing BluRay movies is not that great considering the 360 can also play HD movies, just in a different format. XBL Video Marketplace is one of the reasons I still haven't bought an HD-DVD or BluRay player.
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts
[QUOTE="RKFS"]The 360 is more furturistic... lilrush
:lol: You mean the console that comes with no next-gen HD format, brought out an add-on of a dying HD format (for use with movies only, to boot), uses AA batteries in the controller, a weaker 3.7 MHz signal, and comes with no HDMI and a measley 20 GB HD?  ha.

It doesn't need to come with a next-gen HD format. The HD-DVD addon was released back with HD-DVD was leading (around a year ago I believe) and is nice for some people to have has a choice, it isn't required. The controllers use battery packs AND AA batteries. AGain, the choice is nice vs the PS3 non-swappable, "Hay my battery runs out of juice after 5 minutes now I have to send it in to Sony or buy a new one". The 3.7 mhz signal has been absolutely flawless vs the PS3 Bluetooth zonking out for 2-3 seconds randomly. Component and VGA quality are just as good as HDMI. The only advantage HDMI has is that it carries audio and video in one signal, and copywright protection encoding can be used on it, which is only good for movie studios, not consumers. I have yet to fill up my 20gb HD, even when I have downloaded HD movies etc. Your arguments are pitiful, but so was the original post you responded too.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

I just downloaded Jackass 2 last night.

It was 5 gig 720p.

It only took 5 mins to download and I was able to watch it while it was streaming.

:-)

amcallister902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 amcallister902
Member since 2006 • 1339 Posts
but they are blu ray MOVIES. i dont think that south park is a MOVIE. (and remember that you can rent blu ray movies too O_O )
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Bgrngod

I've used both XBL and Blu-Ray to watch HD movies about the same amount.  It really just comes down to what is more convenient that day.  If me and the woman are about to go out for awhile and want to watch a movie that night, I will queue up a download on XBL and it will be ready within a few hours when we get back.

If we are just sitting around and want to head to the rental store to pick something out, including regular DVD's as an option, we always look through the Blu-Ray movies as well.  It's super common that we come home with 2 regular DVD's and a Blu-Ray.

To try and slam EITHER option due to the features of the other is just stupid.  Both are great, viable, and provide an excellent picture quality.  720p is almost as good as 1080p, and both are extremely better then standard def when watching on our 50" DLP.  I have yet to fill up my 360 hard-drive, or even come close to it.  I don't keep demos that long after playing them, which is pretty much the only content that competes for big chunk of the harddrive space.  Content downloads are fairly small.

I am a little at odds with the blu-ray in the PS3.  On one hand I think that it's awesome because of the extra space it provides for games, and I got a cheap blu-ray player to go with my 1080p TV.  On the other hand I hate that Sony has forced 1080p through HDMI only (then they "forgot" to include an HDMI cable in the box), and that they have all kinds of copywrite protections written into the hardware along HDMI.  I don't steal movies, and have no intention of doing so, so this seems like a bit of a slap in the face for having been a good citizen while others are out doing so.  Blu-Ray movies will be stolen in the future anyways.  Crackers have always gone ahead and done it whenever challenged.  I fail to see why using HDMI is going to stop anything.

The only things movies studios should be involved with is making movies, and putting them on disks.  Once they get their hands in deciding what hardware goes into personal electronics for our homes, we all get screwed somehow.  They do not have out best interests in mind and will do anything to shank a buck our two here or there.  Blu-ray just seems to have an aura of this mentality that makes me wish is would fail somehow.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Bgrngod

It was 5 gig 720p.

It only took 5 mins to download and I was able to watch it while it was streaming.

billing
Uh.. that is a download speed of 16.6 megs a second. Most people don't have anything even remotely close to that fast for an internet connection.  And, from what I have seen, you can't watch the HD movies until they are done downloading.  Are you saying you did this with your 360?
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 billing
[QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

Bgrngod

Uh.. that is a download speed of 16.6 megs a second. Most people don't have anything even remotely close to that fast for an internet connection.  And, from what I have seen, you can't watch the HD movies until they are done downloading.  Are you saying you did this with your 360?

Yes, and it was 720p

I have normal DSL, nothing special.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 magus-21
[QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

Bgrngod
Uh.. that is a download speed of 16.6 megs a second. Most people don't have anything even remotely close to that fast for an internet connection. And, from what I have seen, you can't watch the HD movies until they are done downloading.

No, they just have to buffer a LOT. That's usually when it's around 45-60% done. It takes me about half an hour to an hour, depending on whether I'm downloading a TV show (I watch NUMB3RS exclusively on the 360; over-the-air HD sucks on my cable box) or a movie (so far, only Crank and Lady in the Water; former is awesome, latter sucked horribly).
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

Bgrngod

Uh.. that is a download speed of 16.6 megs a second. Most people don't have anything even remotely close to that fast for an internet connection. And, from what I have seen, you can't watch the HD movies until they are done downloading. Are you saying you did this with your 360?

Is everyone forgetting about background downloading? If you need a few hours to download that movie, just plunk in a game or another movie and find some other way to while away the time.

As for the whole HD/BD argument, show me one of those that'll play seamlessly in my regular DVD player and cost no more than just over the standard DVD price, and you'll have a future convert. I am not switching over unless I can do it painlessly.

BTW, I insist on a physical medium. You can't show downloads to kids in a car. 

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

billing

Yes, and it was 720p

5gigs is 5gigs, no matter if it's 720p or not. Your DSL can download 16.6megs a second?
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 billing
[QUOTE="billing"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

Bgrngod

Yes, and it was 720p

5gigs is 5gigs, no matter if it's 720p or not. Your DSL can download 16.6megs a second?

Think the highest it ever clock was 10 megs.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

HuusAsking

Uh.. that is a download speed of 16.6 megs a second. Most people don't have anything even remotely close to that fast for an internet connection. And, from what I have seen, you can't watch the HD movies until they are done downloading. Are you saying you did this with your 360?

Is everyone forgetting about background downloading? If you need a few hours to download that movie, just plunk in a game or another movie and find some other way to while away the time.

As for the whole HD/BD argument, show me one of those that'll play seamlessly in my regular DVD player and cost no more than just over the standard DVD price, and you'll have a future convert. I am not switching over unless I can do it painlessly.

BTW, I insist on a physical medium. You can't show downloads to kids in a car. 

Downloading stops if you play a game on it while it's trying to download. You can cruse through the dashboard all you want though. /agree on the physical medium part. If I ever BUY any HD movies (I've only rented so far) then I better get a disk that I can hold and resell if I want to.
Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Thanks Sony for making this generation about Movies and not Games. Its about time. It worked so well with the PSP I'm glad they decided to take the same approach with the Ps3. Good Job Sony :)
Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Bgrngod
[QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

billing

Yes, and it was 720p

So how exactly did you download 5gigs in 5 minutes if the fastest you have gone is 10megs a second?
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 billing
[QUOTE="billing"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"][QUOTE="Bgrngod"][QUOTE="billing"]

It was 5 gig 720p.

Bgrngod

Yes, and it was 720p

So how exactly did you download 5gigs in 5 minutes if the fastest you have gone is 10megs a second?

Well I guess I waited a lil over 5 mins,

My point was I didn't have to wait very long.

Edit: and that I didn't have to wait for the full duration of the DL to watch the movie.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 billing

I'm going to DL Saw III in 720p tonight,

We will see how that goes.