Debunking the PS3's alleged Blu-Ray advantage

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts

I'm not bashing on the PS3 here, before i even start. I am bothered however, by two of my friends who sing the praises of the machine because it's built-in Blu-Ray player. It doesn't matter if you point out the unimpressive games (and i'm not saying it'll always be that way....), they will always come back with the "yeah man, but it's got a high-def movie player built right in!"

And that, is the supposed advantage over the 360 and justification for the increased price. Because the PS3 has a built-in high-def video player.

Well, so does the 360. Right now i can go on xbox live, and even though i have a gold membership i dont need one - it's completely free for everybody who owns a 360 - and i can go to the video marketplace and download myself an episode of south park in HD. Or a full movie for that matter, in high-def.

And it's hardly just a little add-on. XBox Live is the bigger provider of HD movies via the internet, that's how big it is. Only one site beats it in terms of overall video downloads (including standard definition) and that's iTunes. And what's more, the cost of downloading these movies is about a fifth of the cost of a blu-ray movie, and that's before you factor in the extra $100 you paid for the PS3.

I realise there are downsides to some extent; for example the movie is a rental. You watch it a certain number of times and then it's gone; but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.

I think microsoft need to make people more aware of all the stuff the 360 can do. There's no reason why the PS3 should be see as some superior media-machine. The only thing it's really got that the 360 doesn't is the web browser.

Thoughts? 

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ninja-Vox
Should i take this as a complement, seeing as it's system wars?
RKFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RKFS
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
The 360 is more furturistic...
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
I dont own any console but i agree with you there.... xbox is just better, logically speaking!
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Squall_Griver
Member since 2006 • 3607 Posts
Not much HD movies in a 20 gig HDD wouldnt you agree?

single layered BD-roms have more space than that :|
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
No.  1080p is better than 720p.  And I don't like waiting 2 hrs for the movie to download.
mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

Squall_Griver

/Thread

Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

[QUOTE="Squall_Griver"]Not much HD movies in a 20 gig HDD wouldnt you agree?

mentzer

/Thread

I don't like waiting hours to watch the movie when it could have already been watched/thread
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
No. 1080p is better than 720p. And I don't like waiting 2 hrs for the movie to download.ironwarrior2
So only people with 1080p should care? That narrows it down...
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
Lol a high def movie would take up like the entire hard drive on a 360....but yeah bluray and ps3 is pretty meh, especially since xbox has hddvd and a better gaming experience overall....although I would like a console where I can't hear a certain noise and say to myself "great, in 5 seconds, my game will cause an unreadeable disc error"
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Squall_Griver

I'm not bashing on the PS3 here, before i even start. I am bothered however, by two of my friends who sing the praises of the machine because it's built-in Blu-Ray player. It doesn't matter if you point out the unimpressive games (and i'm not saying it'll always be that way....), they will always come back with the "yeah man, but it's got a high-def movie player built right in!"

And that, is the supposed advantage over the 360 and justification for the increased price. Because the PS3 has a built-in high-def video player.

Well, so does the 360. Right now i can go on xbox live, and even though i have a gold membership i dont need one - it's completely free for everybody who owns a 360 - and i can go to the video marketplace and download myself an episode of south park in HD. Or a full movie for that matter, in high-def.

And it's hardly just a little add-on. XBox Live is the bigger provider of HD movies via the internet, that's how big it is. Only one site beats it in terms of overall video downloads (including standard definition) and that's iTunes. And what's more, the cost of downloading these movies is about a fifth of the cost of a blu-ray movie, and that's before you factor in the extra $100 you paid for the PS3.

I realise there are downsides to some extent; for example the movie is a rental. You watch it a certain number of times and then it's gone; but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.

I think microsoft need to make people more aware of all the stuff the 360 can do. There's no reason why the PS3 should be see as some superior media-machine. The only thing it's really got that the 360 doesn't is the web browser.

Thoughts?

Ninja-Vox

How would you take that downloaded HD movie to a friends house? i wouldn't like downloading HD movies how Big are they?
PLUS! you would need internet to watch movies in HD which after that you will need to update trough Xboxlive to watch the movie in 1080p
"buh buh teh PS3 needs update also"-what im expecting
PS3 on the other hand will have update trough video games -or- you can download the update trough PC and update it on the PS3 where as 360 you need a direct interweb connection to your XBOX360 theres no alternative solution
I preferr PS3 as a HD player not 360 :| srry (see that was my oppinion just like when you said "but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.")
braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 braydee1234
Member since 2004 • 2937 Posts
I think downloads will become more prominant in the future, I'm sure Harrison said he believes the next PS won't have a physical disk drive.
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
Enter the Elite and MS's ramped-up HD download service.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ninja-Vox

Squall_Griver
Rental basis. You could have three HD movies at any given time. You'd watch three full movies in two days?
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ninja-Vox

How would you take that downloaded HD movie to a friends house? i wouldn't like downloading HD movies how Big are they?
PLUS! you would need internet to watch movies in HD which after that you will need to update trough Xboxlive to watch the movie in 1080p
PS3 on the other hand will have update trough video games -or- you can download the update trough PC and update it on the PS3 where as 360 you need a direct interweb connection to your XBOX360 theres no alternative solution
I preferr PS3 as a HD player not 360 :| srry (see that was my oppinion just like when you said "but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.") Squall_Griver

With all due respect, what mythical household are you describing whereby the owner wants to spend $600 on a games console, owns an HDTV and is debating which method of viewing HD-movies is better - but doesn't have an internet connection?  

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

Enter the Elite and MS's ramped-up HD download service.fartgorilla

So basically in order for Microsoft to keep up, they had to release an entire new SKU with features that could have been added to the original Xbox 360.

And if your Xbox 360 does not have HDMI, you can forget IPTV. It's not like content providers are going to allow their precious content being output through VGA or component. No copy protection.  

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="mentzer"]

Infinatey

/Thread

I don't like waiting hours to watch the movie when it could have already been watched/thread

Stop it children. Posting one simple point does not equal the end of a thread. Grow up. The average download time is one hour and ten minutes. I'm fine with that; considering it's a fifth of the price, being played on a system $200 less expensive.
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Squall_Griver

Ninja-Vox
Rental basis. You could have three HD movies at any given time. You'd watch three full movies in two days?

in two days yeah
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Squall_Griver

[QUOTE="Squall_Griver"]
I preferr PS3 as a HD player not 360 :| srry (see that was my oppinion just like when you said "but i'm fine with that so long as the price remains so low.") Ninja-Vox

With all due respect, what mythical household are you describing whereby the owner wants to spend $600 on a games console, owns an HDTV and is debating which method of viewing HD-movies is better - but doesn't have an internet connection?

they say PSN only has about 50,000 users online out of lets see here 2.5 million now i do think its possible highly possible
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts

Thoughts?

Ninja-Vox
Well the 360 has a 20 gb drive which will fill up extremely fast. And it's not a real player.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
This is what you are not considering. Heavenly Sword, in this stage of development, is taking, according to the developers, 19 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc. Resistance, in the final version, takes 22 gigabytes of space. Hideo Kojima allegedly requested the new 50 gigabyte Blu Ray DVD because Metal Gear Solid was edging close to the 25 gigabyte limit in current Blu Ray DVDs. Therefore this advantage cannot be perceived as alleged. This advantage is real. And this advantage is not limited to the realm of HD movies. However, I upgraded my Netflix account for free to bring me Blu Ray DVDs instead of regular DVDs. Take that into account. This discussion had best change.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]This is what you are not considering. Heavenly Sword, in this stage of development, is taking, according to the developers, 19 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc. Resistance, in the final version, takes 22 gigabytes of space. Hideo Kojima allegedly requested the new 50 gigabyte Blu Ray DVD because Metal Gear Solid was edging close to the 25 gigabyte limit in current Blu Ray DVDs. Therefore this advantage cannot be perceived as alleged. This advantage is real. And this advantage is not limited to the realm of HD movies. However, I upgraded my Netflix account for free to bring me Blu Ray DVDs instead of regular DVDs. Take that into account. This discussion had best change.

And oblivion was meant to use six discs. It did not. Heavenly Sword will take up such space because they have the space they need to not bother compressing anything at any point in time. I will happily be annoyed when all of my games come on six discs; this is not the case however so i dont see this as a valid point.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Downloadable movies on XBL =/= Blu-Ray quality image
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts
[QUOTE="Infinatey"][QUOTE="mentzer"]

Ninja-Vox

/Thread

Stop it children. Posting one simple point does not equal the end of a thread. Grow up. The average download time is one hour and ten minutes. I'm fine with that; considering it's a fifth of the price, being played on a system $200 less expensive.

Fifth of price of what ? Rental ? How long can you keep the movies ?

And: What about the quality of the video ?

/Thread 

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Vox

Fifth of price of what ? Rental ? How long can you keep the movies ?

And: What about the quality of the video ?

/Thread

tranhgiang

Why be such a fanboy? Do you see me posting /thread every time i make a point? Is a form not for discussion? I was simply highlighting the fact that the 360 has a very strong HD-movie playback system which very few people take note of. Sure, the picture quality might not be as good as Blu-Ray, but it's 720p which is damned good, and it only costs a couple of bucks as apposed to the $33 you spend on a blu-ray movie, on top of the added cost of the ps3 itself. You've also got enough space on your hard drive to have two full movies to watch at any given time. I think that's good.

Is that too much? I apologise if i've offended you; i didn't realise you worked for Sony corp.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Redfingers
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]This is what you are not considering. Heavenly Sword, in this stage of development, is taking, according to the developers, 19 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc. Resistance, in the final version, takes 22 gigabytes of space. Hideo Kojima allegedly requested the new 50 gigabyte Blu Ray DVD because Metal Gear Solid was edging close to the 25 gigabyte limit in current Blu Ray DVDs. Therefore this advantage cannot be perceived as alleged. This advantage is real. And this advantage is not limited to the realm of HD movies. However, I upgraded my Netflix account for free to bring me Blu Ray DVDs instead of regular DVDs. Take that into account. This discussion had best change.

And oblivion was meant to use six discs. It did not. Heavenly Sword will take up such space because they have the space they need to not bother compressing anything at any point in time. I will happily be annoyed when all of my games come on six discs; this is not the case however so i dont see this as a valid point.

Those figures are after compression. Excluding, possibly, Kojima, who believes uncompressed audio is far superior in quality and is clearly unwilling to make that sacrifice, if that is indeed the case. This is a valid point because you have three games, one already on the market, that are filling the format good and fat. Yes, Mass Effect fits on a single DVD, but have you ever wondered what compromises had to be made? This is only one year and 3 months after the launch of the Xbox 360. While there is no express indication that the games will eventually flood over onto a second DVD, it does appear that several Playstation 3 exclusives will remain exclusive simply as a result of capacity restraints. Additionally, I watch Blu Ray movies for free, which still stands.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

Thoughts?

Ninja-Vox
Here is the problem you are smart enough to realize that the HD downloading is nothing more then a rental but you dismiss it due to price and say you are fine with it. The problem is not everyone else is fine with it. There is a reason there is a HD DVD add on even though you can dowload HD movies. Its because the movie rental industry and the movie buying industry is different. There a plenty of people who want to OWN the movie, not rent it for a small price, if people are so money concious they wouldnt have invested in a 400-600 dollar system to buy 60 dollar games (not including tax) and pay 50 dollars a year just to play online (for the Xbox 360). Gaming is an expensive hobby and so is watching HD movies on an expensive HDTV to pay more for HD cable channels. People spent that much on a TV to enjoy HD movies and many wanna own it to watch more then once or have friends over to show it off to without having to way an hour to download. Nothing beats picking a movie from your collection and instantly plugin it in and watching it. To many people wanna watch movies and own it. Thats why more expensive collectors edition movies sell so well,not because the vast majority wants to rent the movie but own it.
anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 anprionsa
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts
But that is the ONLY reason, we aren't even really sure what MS will do in the future for its HD machine, what happens if Blu-ray fails while the PS3 is still in, what then. What I can tell you is that it was either a very smart or very dumb thing of MS to do with the HD player, same thing with Sony and the Blu-ray thing, both took a huge risk.
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Squall_Griver
this is what i find disturbing
" Debunking the PS3's alleged Blu-Ray advantage"
why name it that when you can keep Blu-ray's for ever and 360 is only rental's :|
thats your point right that Xbox360 can play HD movies also but there all rental's :| blu-rays are for ever like diamonds :D
and PS3 will be getting HD (downloadable) movies also and can play blu-ray movies thats the advantage ps3 has
360 needs a soon to be dead HD-dvd drive to play hd movies
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Redfingers
I can buy Blu Ray movies or watch them for free via Netflix. Choice is good? The question is not whether Blu Ray will fail but whether PS3 will fail. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 and currently has the support of every Hollywood studio except Universal.
lilrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lilrush
Member since 2005 • 1695 Posts
The 360 is more furturistic... RKFS
:lol: You mean the console that comes with no next-gen HD format, brought out an add-on of a dying HD format (for use with movies only, to boot), uses AA batteries in the controller, a weaker 3.7 MHz signal, and comes with no HDMI and a measley 20 GB HD?  ha.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts
[QUOTE="mentzer"]

Infinatey

/Thread

I have 20Mbit FiOS. I only have to wait about 30 seconds from selecting "Confirm Download" before my movie is ready to play. :)
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Redfingers"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]This is what you are not considering. Heavenly Sword, in this stage of development, is taking, according to the developers, 19 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc. Resistance, in the final version, takes 22 gigabytes of space. Hideo Kojima allegedly requested the new 50 gigabyte Blu Ray DVD because Metal Gear Solid was edging close to the 25 gigabyte limit in current Blu Ray DVDs. Therefore this advantage cannot be perceived as alleged. This advantage is real. And this advantage is not limited to the realm of HD movies. However, I upgraded my Netflix account for free to bring me Blu Ray DVDs instead of regular DVDs. Take that into account. This discussion had best change.

Those figures are after compression. Excluding, possibly, Kojima, who believes uncompressed audio is far superior in quality and is clearly unwilling to make that sacrifice, if that is indeed the case. This is a valid point because you have three games, one already on the market, that are filling the format good and fat. Yes, Mass Effect fits on a single DVD, but have you ever wondered what compromises had to be made? This is only one year and 3 months after the launch of the Xbox 360. While there is no express indication that the games will eventually flood over onto a second DVD, it does appear that several Playstation 3 exclusives will remain exclusive simply as a result of capacity restraints. Additionally, I watch Blu Ray movies for free, which still stands.

How do you watch blu-ray movies for free exactly? :| And your point is still mute; oblivion had hours and hours of voice acting, a huge world and rediculous amounts of gameplay yet it fits on half a disc. Mass effect is on one disc and i dont buy your "compromises" nonsense. Gears of war is a AAA title and that's on one disc. Like i said, when my games are coming on five discs, i will complain. That is not the case however, so you're merely speculating.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]I can buy Blu Ray movies or watch them for free via Netflix. Choice is good? The question is not whether Blu Ray will fail but whether PS3 will fail. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 and currently has the support of every Hollywood studio except Universal.

You pay a subscription for Netflix. :|
KillaHalo2o9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KillaHalo2o9
Member since 2006 • 5305 Posts
360 is fine with the DVD-9 look at Mass Effect and, like u said u can Download Hd movies off of XBl waiting for the 120GB HD :P
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ninja-Vox
By all means, i realise that owning the movie is preferable to renting it with a lot of people. That's an advantage of blu-ray. However i am simply stating that the 360 has an HD-movie playback option which stands up to the PS3's in many ways thanks to the much lower cost and simplicity in watching your chosen movie/video. I'm not saying it's BETTER; so a lot of you need to calm down and actually read the post.
Squall_Griver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Squall_Griver
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="Redfingers"]I can buy Blu Ray movies or watch them for free via Netflix. Choice is good? The question is not whether Blu Ray will fail but whether PS3 will fail. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 and currently has the support of every Hollywood studio except Universal.

You pay a subscription for Netflix. :|

3 to 1 and blu-ray has a way better chance of succeeding than HD-dvd universal will jump ships you can qoute me on it or else its suicide for universal
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 bloodychimp
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts

mentzer

/Thread

360 is compatible with USB external hardrives. You can get a 320 GB HDD for about $110 and if you wait for a good deal you can probably get an external case with it for free. 

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
Well if the 360 COULD stream HD content...then we'd be talking...I'm no Sony fan but having a a disc that can hold more then the entire 360 Hard drive seems...a little more practical a soulton to watch HD movies...just me though!
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Your logic isn't that good, because first of all, the ps3 will always have the greater selection of 1080p blu-ray movies (theater movies) if blu-ray wins. Sure you get some downloadable theater movies on the 360 but they take a hell of a lot of time to download and take up a lot of space. And especially if you download massive 1080p videos, you will run out of the ~15GB you have for your 360 and will have to keep buying a new HDD. You won't have that problem with blu-ray movies.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

By all means, i realise that owning the movie is preferable to renting it with a lot of people. That's an advantage of blu-ray. However i am simply stating that the 360 has an HD-movie playback option which stands up to the PS3's in many ways thanks to the much lower cost and simplicity in watching your chosen movie/video. I'm not saying it's BETTER; so a lot of you need to calm down and actually read the post. Ninja-Vox

Can you download theater movies? Like which? How long does it take to download and how much do they cost? 

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ninja-Vox
I'm not even going to respond to this as absolutely everything you've said is cleared up in the first post, and half the stuff you say is flat-out incorrect.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"]By all means, i realise that owning the movie is preferable to renting it with a lot of people. That's an advantage of blu-ray. However i am simply stating that the 360 has an HD-movie playback option which stands up to the PS3's in many ways thanks to the much lower cost and simplicity in watching your chosen movie/video. I'm not saying it's BETTER; so a lot of you need to calm down and actually read the post. munu9

Can you download theater movies? Like which? How long does it take to download and how much do they cost?

The average download time is one hour and ten minutes; however as stated by another person earlier, it can be a matter of minutes depending on your connection. You can download movies, like i told you. I dont see why you're arguing against this when you clearly dont know a thing about it. Currently the xbox video marketplace is the largest supplier of HD movies via the internet and has the most downloads. I was watching V for Vendetta just this morning. As for the cost, they're on a rental basis. TV shows you can watch numerous times, however once you start watching a movie you have two days to finish watching it. After that it deletes itself. TV shows are $3. Movies are $6. Classic movies (20 years old or more) are $4. Everything is $1.50 cheaper if it's only standard def.
anprionsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 anprionsa
Member since 2004 • 382 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]I can buy Blu Ray movies or watch them for free via Netflix. Choice is good? The question is not whether Blu Ray will fail but whether PS3 will fail. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD 2 to 1 and currently has the support of every Hollywood studio except Universal.

Yes, the reason for the 2-1 (PS3), yet they still only sell about the same amount of the discs (movies whatever).
ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
The 360 is more furturistic... RKFS
boyy! u need to stop lying! the wii is more futuristic.
bvinton45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 bvinton45
Member since 2005 • 74 Posts
Sony rushed the blu-ray technology in the PS3 to fast. It cost them delays in getting the system out and has driven the cost of the sytem up. This than has allowed MS a year head start and with the PS3 selling below expectations is starting to lose exclusives. How many games right now and in the next few years will actually need the extra space the Blu-ray has to offer...5% of the games. Is that number really justify the format. Plus, Blu-Ray reads the disc slower than DVD9 so you have to download parts of the game to the hard drive to speed up load times. I personally think Blu-ray is about 3 years away from really being needed.
matteno1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 matteno1
Member since 2002 • 356 Posts

Thoughts? 

Ninja-Vox
Since it's pretty much pointless playing 360- or PS3 games on a SDTV (might as well stick with last gen then), I think it makes perfect sense to include an HD disc drive. I predict that most posters in system wars will own a HD disc drive AS WELL AS be downloading HD movies over the internet over the coming five years. The only thing that bugs me is that Toshiba and Sony couldn't agree on a single standard so that we as consumers wouldn't have to gamble.
gsx1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gsx1100
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
The 20gb HD on the 360 is way to small to be able to dowload movies ,have your game saves and demo's
magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="Redfingers"]This is what you are not considering. Heavenly Sword, in this stage of development, is taking, according to the developers, 19 gigabytes of space on the Blu Ray disc. Resistance, in the final version, takes 22 gigabytes of space. Hideo Kojima allegedly requested the new 50 gigabyte Blu Ray DVD because Metal Gear Solid was edging close to the 25 gigabyte limit in current Blu Ray DVDs. Therefore this advantage cannot be perceived as alleged. This advantage is real. And this advantage is not limited to the realm of HD movies. However, I upgraded my Netflix account for free to bring me Blu Ray DVDs instead of regular DVDs. Take that into account. This discussion had best change.

No, it is definitely "alleged," because we have NO idea how that space is used and whether it actually benefits the game. Resistance is 15 gigs, by the way, but it plays like a standard shooter, it's barely an hour or two longer than Gears of War, and it has poorer graphics. And remember that the longest, most in-depth game yet announced for any system, Mass Effect, is on a single DVD and has well over a hundred hours of gameplay, along with graphics that rival Gears of War and any game coming out for the PS3. So yes, the advantage of BluRay is definitely still "alleged."
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

The 360's hd content is limited to rental and by the 20 gig hard drive, so how is having a blu-ray player standard not a advantage??

Also won"t the ps3 have similar hd content on psn???Â