Debunking even more PC myths (Crysis) 56k warning

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

F-14Bombcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 F-14Bombcat
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts
People seem to find two main complaints with PC gaming:

Price (I am about to bust that myth)

Compatibility (Again going to bust it)

PRICE: This is a complete lie because a good system that can exceed even the best graphics on any console can be found for $600 ( which is the price of the PS3 or 360+live and add-ons) I have been playing Crysis for a few days on my $500 rig and these are just a few screenshots that show that the price-to-performance ratio is better on the PC.

(just to give you an idea, pictures can't even capture the look and feel of the game, and you can literally see for miles.)

This is just a few, but you can still see that this game is unparallell to any game so far on any consoles. And mind you, this is on MEDIUM settings. The framerate is silky smooth, the explosions are mind-boggling, and the AI is unmatched. (I will be putting my complete set of pictures and videos on my blog as soon as I reach lvl. 10)

COMPATIBILITY: I have yet to come across a game that I couldn't get to work properly. The only problems I have come across was having to adjust the settings when you first start it up which takes 30sec. tops.

I made this thread so I can show people that just because PC gaming looks intimidating doesn't mean that it is. I have actually had more problems trying to get my consoles working right than I do with my PC. PC has the best graphics, the best controls, amazing replayability with free mods, free online (with x-fire and steam it surpasses X-box live), the price is similar to every other console (and the games are $10 cheaper),you can tweak the system to make it suit your taste, you don't have to keep switching out the CDs everytime you want to play a game, and you can overclock your system to get even better performance!

If you actually read this whole thing then I thank you, and all comments or flaws in my argument you want to bring to the table, then I will gladly listen :).

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
Looks quite disgusting to be honest:|
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

Looks quite disgusting to be honest:|XenoNinja

lol agreed

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Personally I wasn't impressed by Crysis graphics other than on high settings. There's a massive difference between low/med/high settings. It does look good when you're being shot at and the explosions are great even on lower settings. But on low/medium it really doesn't impress me compared to many other games, on PC and consoles.
F-14Bombcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 F-14Bombcat
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

[QUOTE="XenoNinja"]Looks quite disgusting to be honest:|mingo123

lol agreed

yeah, I was kind of depresed at how the screenshots came out which bugs me because they do not have those stupid jaggy edges that the compressed shots showed. Gamespot decided to compress the file for some reason :?. Thes were originally took at 1024x768.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Can Crysis look better than anything on consoles? Heck yeah!

Do THOSE pics look better than anything on consoles? :lol:

Hat_Damage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Hat_Damage
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
If i was going to play crysis i would want my computer to be completely decked out to play it. Those screenshots dont look nearly as good as the game is supposed to.
Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts

What he's saying - You don't need an amazing PC to play Crysis smoothly, the devs were kind enough to give the option for lower spec'd PC's to play it, even if it hurts the graphical detail for them.

What you're hearing - LOL TEH JAGGIZ

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
Ya to be honest these shots don't look that great at all, in fact I think they look horrible.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
[QUOTE="mingo123"]

[QUOTE="XenoNinja"]Looks quite disgusting to be honest:|F-14Bombcat

lol agreed

yeah, I was kind of depresed at how the screenshots came out which bugs me because they do not have those stupid jaggy edges that the compressed shots showed. Gamespot decided to compress the file for some reason :?. Thes were originally took at 1024x768.

Put it on imageshock.us

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rimnet00
To give the OT some credit, the imaged were in fact compressed by gamespot. I have seen Crysis on medium, and frankly it looks as good as any PS3 or 360 game.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EntwineX

Oh, and here's a medium settings shot from my computer.

And here's a shot on all low with a decent res

Compared to my other games it's honestly pretty weak looking. Tho the trees don't look quite that horrible in reality. Great game but imo kinda useless without C2D and 8800 or something like that.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"][QUOTE="mingo123"]

[QUOTE="XenoNinja"]Looks quite disgusting to be honest:|rimnet00

lol agreed

Put it on imageshock.us

ppl can just right click and view image.

Opacic_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Opacic_A
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts

Of course they look sub-par, it's not set on maximum, it's on medium. You do need a pretty damn good rig to actually run it smoothly on Maximum, not a 6000 dollar computer, probably $1500 at the worst possible price. A $1000USD computer could run this on maximum with few, if any, problems.

The game's sales would suffer dramatically if people were forced to shell out alot of money to play this game, you don't.

Also, it looks far, far, better when you're actually playing the game, it's ignorant to judge something based on some compressed screenshots.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EntwineX

Also, it looks far, far, better when you're actually playing the game, it's ignorant to judge something based on some compressed screenshots.

Opacic_A
That's very true, there are some amazing explosions and effects which screenshots just don't do justice, and for some reason the trees really suffer when you take a snapshot of them.
Opacic_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Opacic_A
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="Opacic_A"]

EntwineX

That's very true, there are some amazing explosions and effects which screenshots just don't do justice, and for some reason the trees really suffer when you take a snapshot of them.

I came back from playing it again.

Nothing like throwing a guy down a cliff face.

MAXIMUM STRENGTH.

PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts

I maxed the game out!

My specs:QX8650 OC'd @ 3,8GHz Watercooled with Zalman, Corsair 4GBDDR3 @ 1333Mhz, Triple SLI NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.

True story :D

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
^^^ No you didn't, you took that screenshot from some site from like 2005, savd it to your harddrive, and reuploaded it.....I think... Anyway, even with those resized screenshots the TC posted on medium settings, it still looks better than 90% of the console games out or coming out.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rimnet00

^^^ No you didn't, you took that screenshot from some site from like 2005, savd it to your harddrive, and reuploaded it.....I think... Anyway, even with those resized screenshots the TC posted on medium settings, it still looks better than 90% of the console games out or coming out.Vandalvideo

Exactly. Especially considering there is no "triple" SLI. Fakeboys lol.

TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TiberiusKane
Member since 2007 • 259 Posts
Why are you posting Far Cry pics? That game is old news.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PullTheTricker

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]^^^ No you didn't, you took that screenshot from some site from like 2005, savd it to your harddrive, and reuploaded it.....I think... Anyway, even with those resized screenshots the TC posted on medium settings, it still looks better than 90% of the console games out or coming out.rimnet00

Exactly. Especially considering there is no "triple" SLI. Fakeboys lol.

I was just messing arround -_-

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

I maxed the game out!

My specs:QX8650 OC'd @ 3,8GHz Watercooled with Zalman, Corsair 4GBDDR3 @ 1333Mhz, Triple SLI NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX.

PullTheTricker

No you didn't. Quad Core processing and SLI is disabled in the demo :lol:

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

heres a shot of crysis on my computer.

PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PullTheTricker

Also here: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/02/nvidia-preps-triple-sli

''Nvidia Nforce 680i and the upcoming Nforce780i chipsets will power triple SLI with the former chipset supporting PCI Express 1.1/1.0a. The latter chipset will feature PCI Express 2.0 along with a special "BR04" switch to enable more efficient operation.''

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

XenoNinja
horrible photoshop work
TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TiberiusKane
I hot wired mine so I could have cell powaz supplement my PC cpu and it was like being on a holodeck with bad guys shooting and no safety controls on. Unless your as hardcore as me I don't advise trying this at home.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EntwineX

XenoNinja

lol @ the low res textures. :P And teh jaggies!! :shock:

C'mon now, someone post a real high settings picture already will ya. :P

Guitartod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Guitartod
Member since 2007 • 830 Posts
[QUOTE="F-14Bombcat"]People seem to find two main complaints with PC gaming:

Price (I am about to bust that myth)

Compatibility (Again going to bust it)

PRICE: This is a complete lie because a good system that can exceed even the best graphics on any console can be found for $600 ( which is the price of the PS3 or 360+live and add-ons) I have been playing Crysis for a few days on my $500 rig and these are just a few screenshots that show that the price-to-performance ratio is better on the PC.

(just to give you an idea, pictures can't even capture the look and feel of the game, and you can literally see for miles.)

This is just a few, but you can still see that this game is unparallell to any game so far on any consoles. And mind you, this is on MEDIUM settings. The framerate is silky smooth, the explosions are mind-boggling, and the AI is unmatched. (I will be putting my complete set of pictures and videos on my blog as soon as I reach lvl. 10)

COMPATIBILITY: I have yet to come across a game that I couldn't get to work properly. The only problems I have come across was having to adjust the settings when you first start it up which takes 30sec. tops.

I made this thread so I can show people that just because PC gaming looks intimidating doesn't mean that it is. I have actually had more problems trying to get my consoles working right than I do with my PC. PC has the best graphics, the best controls, amazing replayability with free mods, free online (with x-fire and steam it surpasses X-box live), the price is similar to every other console (and the games are $10 cheaper),you can tweak the system to make it suit your taste, you don't have to keep switching out the CDs everytime you want to play a game, and you can overclock your system to get even better performance!

If you actually read this whole thing then I thank you, and all comments or flaws in my argument you want to bring to the table, then I will gladly listen :).

[/QUOTE/]

I hope my pc runs crysis better then that.....

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Crysis AI is teh uber leet!

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here...but it seems like you are saying it cost you $600 to play a game that looks WORSE than what 360 and PS3 offers. The 360 is $350 and PS3 is $399 or $499.

How is that debunking the "more expensive" pc myth?

Not to mention the fact that you aren't even playing the game the developers actually made...you are playing a stripped down, inferior version of what the game was meant to be. If that happened on a console, you see a hundred threads made, all saying "downgrade confirmed."

GreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreenMan
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

Uh oh!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=522

Looks like the "DX10 only" features do actually work with DX9 hardware. I guess Crysis is possible on consoles after all.

As for the graphics, on medium the game isn't impressive at all. It doesn't look as good as Gears of War or Killzone 2. On maximum yes, the game is very pretty, but again I wouldn't be surprised if the consoles could match that with a skilled dev team behind them.

TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TiberiusKane

Maybe I'm missing something here...but it seems like you are saying it cost you $600 to play a game that looks WORSE than what 360 and PS3 offers. The 360 is $350 and PS3 is $399 or $499.

Not to mention the fact that you aren't even playing the game the developers actually made...you are playing a stripped down, inferior version of what the game was meant to be. If that happened on a console, you see a hundred threads made, all saying "downgrade confirmed."

ZIMdoom

Ouch. You could have said it in a nicer way but I guess the truth has to hurt sometimes.

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rimnet00

ZIMdoom

Are you suggesting the PS3 and 360 copies of COD4 and UT3 are the stripped down, inferior versions of the games? Since from what I have seen, both games on a PC, on 'medium' settings looks as good as the PS3/360 versions. Then more recently, Gears of War.

Now, with that said; How many people actually go an pay $600 for a PC, when gaming is going to be the only thing they will use it for? Probably no one. People buy PCs for their wide range of functionality. With the base price of whatever PC they can afford, they can then add the price of a console to their purchase, and they are good to go.

Heck, a $600 PC is what people pay for a non-gaming PC. I think it is very apparent that these arguments always lead to idiotic statements from both extremes. Ones who say PC gaming isn't affordable for an average person, and who can buy a gaming bottom up, for the price of a console.

lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts
crysis does not run well on my PC. 20 FPS FTL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5dd711115e664
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

rimnet00

Are you suggesting the PS3 and 360 copies of COD4 and UT3 are the stripped down, inferior versions of the games? Since from what I have seen, both games on a PC, on 'medium' settings looks as good as the PS3/360 versions. Then more recently, Gears of War.

Now, with that said; How many people actually go an pay $600 for a PC, when gaming is going to be the only thing they will use it for? Probably no one. People buy PCs for their wide range of functionality. With the base price of whatever PC they can afford, they can then add the price of a console to their purchase, and they are good to go.

Heck, a $600 PC is what people pay for a non-gaming PC. I think it is very apparent that these arguments always lead to idiotic statements from both extremes. Ones who say PC gaming isn't affordable for an average person, and who can buy a gaming bottom up, for the price of a console.

1) No. What I am suggesting is that the PC version he is playing is not running on the highest settings available and therefore is not the game the devs made. 360/PS3 owners who buyCOD4 or UT3 are able to play the game exactly how the devs made it for them. The developers provide as best an experience they can and console players GET that full experience...for roughly $399. The TC spent $600 and doesn't get the full experience the developer intended him to have.

ANything other than that is a graphics arguement and beside the point. Nobody denies that PCs can have superior graphics to consoles. The MYTH that is being discussed here is that PC gaming is not more expensive than consoles. It would appear the TC's own "evidence" proves quite the opposite.

2&3) Who cares? What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? You are going off on a tangent for damage control. We are talking about the constant claim made by hermits that PC gaming is not more expensive than consoles. Specifically, we are talking about the TC paying $600 to run Crysis on medium settings.

Drathyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Drathyl
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts
Lets debunk your myth debunkings: Price I purchased my new computer for 950 € . I can only run crysis at medium. Yes, I can crank it up to the Very high. I can play it there. But I don't enjoy it. 15 fps is not playable. With medium it averages to 30-40. That's the bare minimum of playable to me. Most console games run at 30 fps so let that be the standard. So that 950 € computer got me medium graphics. Next up is compatibility: I can't play bioshock in vista with sounds (I have integrated sounds). This is not some random problem, go to the Bioshock forums and you'll see that it is a major problem. You can get the game to run with xp compatibility mode through Vista, but it becomes unstable for me. This has also been reported numerous times in the forums. Also, some games don't allow you to select monitor refresh rates. I have a CRT, so it does matter. 60hz will make your eyes bleed. Furthermore, the copy protection of F.E.A.R doesn't let me play with the legitimate DVD so I have to resort to the methods that can't be discussed here. I could fix these problems if I bought a sound card, new dvd-drive and TFT-monitor, but then you would have to add 250 € to the price of the computer. Actually I can run all my other games at max settings, only crysis is giving me problems. I decided to be an **** because your compatibility argument was so narrow. "I never had problems so it others can't have them". That doesn't prove anything.
ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

Crysis on my rig at 1280x1024 with 2xAA, all medium except shaders on high and particles on low

runs steady around 30fps at all times, except when demolish building where it usually dips a bit for a couple of seconds and everything in my rig except the graphics card which I got for 200and the power supply is from mid 2005

rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rimnet00
[QUOTE="rimnet00"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

ZIMdoom

1) No. What I am suggesting is that the PC version he is playing is not running on the highest settings available and therefore is not the game the devs made. 360/PS3 owners who buyCOD4 or UT3 are able to play the game exactly how the devs made it for them. The developers provide as best an experience they can and console players GET that full experience...for roughly $399. The TC spent $600 and doesn't get the full experience the developer intended him to have.

ANything other than that is a graphics arguement and beside the point. Nobody denies that PCs can have superior graphics to consoles. The MYTH that is being discussed here is that PC gaming is not more expensive than consoles. It would appear the TC's own "evidence" proves quite the opposite.

2&3) Who cares? What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? You are going off on a tangent for damage control. We are talking about the constant claim made by hermits that PC gaming is not more expensive than consoles. Specifically, we are talking about the TC paying $600 to run Crysis on medium settings.

How is it a tangent? It's a completely sound argument. Instead of responding with an intelligent counter argument, you have instead resorted in mislabeling my claim as 'damage control' - especially when I myself, a PC and Console gamer - acknowledged that there are morons on both extremes of the argument.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EntwineX

ZIMdoom
While I somewhat agree, PC's are more expensive than consoles especially byt the initial cost when considering only gaming. But I don't really agree with the statement that playing on medium settings isn't playing the game devs made. I mean I'm not sure if anyone can run Crysis maxed out if the rumours about Ultra high settings in the final version are true, PC gaming just doesn't work that way. Medium settings don't take away too much from the experience imo, and often are comparable to console version, if you look at the pictures ZimpanX posted those are pretty good imo and it's still an enjoyable experience you can't get on consoles.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 smokeydabear076
Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.kevy619
You are supposed to debunk myths in this thread, not support them.
PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PullTheTricker

The thing with PC gaming vs Console is that if you want to upgrade you have to replace everything. This isn't the case with PC gaming.

My quality corsairpower suply is bought back in 2005 and I kept in mind that if in order to upgrade any other new components I will have to buy over 500 watt. So I did exactly that. This year I upgraded to Q6600, 2GB and 8800GT and I didn't have to replace ANYTHING other then that. I allready have my Case, PSU, DVD rewriter. And theZalman 9500 cooling fan for the CPU is compatible with all processors, My Mobo allready had anythign in it that was required.

I spent

250 euros,Q6600

80 euros,Corsair DDR26561GBx2 667mhz

And just today I finnaly ordered my 8800GT for the price of 215 euros. This card performs almost equal to a GTX.

Thats 545 euros spent to upgrade. I can play UTIII, Stalker,Withcer, CoD4, World in Conflict etc etc all in 1680x1050 and highest quality.

As for Crysis? who gives a **** anyway. Until they learn to optimize their overrated **** engine... Crytek can suck it. Both Unreal Engine and Valve's Source engine > Crymeariver engine 2. there are plenty of other good games on PC.

Anyways, so inin short...PC gaming is only expensive if you don't know what you're doing.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kevy619

[QUOTE="kevy619"]Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.smokeydabear076

Its not a myth, I would really rather play those games. On top of that all the pc games that appeal to me appear on consoles now anyway, which is why Im not a pc gamer.

TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TiberiusKane

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="kevy619"]Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.kevy619

Its not a myth, I would really rather play those games.

I think deep down you want to play Crysis and it's eating you up inside.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kevy619
[QUOTE="kevy619"]

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="kevy619"]Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.TiberiusKane

It would be nice, but im fine without it. I have alot of games to play already.

Its not a myth, I would really rather play those games.

I think deep down you want to play Crysis and it's eating you up inside.

Between the ps3 and 360, im busy enough to get over it. Theres about 15 games I want to play more than crysis that appear on those consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5dd711115e664
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="rimnet00"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"]

rimnet00

How is it a tangent? It's a completely sound argument. Instead of responding with an intelligent counter argument, you have instead resorted in mislabeling my claim as 'damage control' - especially when I myself, a PC and Console gamer - acknowledged that there are morons on both extremes of the argument.

It's a tangent because it invites the fanboys to start making all sorts of lists where they compare the features of their console to PC features and making cost/value comparisons. But if you want cows here talking about the "worth" of PS3 because you get a BR player then please continue bringing up issues other than the original topic.

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

Uh oh!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=522

Looks like the "DX10 only" features do actually work with DX9 hardware. I guess Crysis is possible on consoles after all.

As for the graphics, on medium the game isn't impressive at all. It doesn't look as good as Gears of War or Killzone 2. On maximum yes, the game is very pretty, but again I wouldn't be surprised if the consoles could match that with a skilled dev team behind them.

GreenMan

Cause Crytek isn't a skilled dev. :roll:

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="kevy619"]Id rather play Ratchet & Clank and/or Mass Effect.kevy619

Its not a myth, I would really rather play those games. On top of that all the pc games that appeal to me appear on consoles now anyway, which is why Im not a pc gamer.

That is impossible.