Dead Or Alive tone down objectification of womans (you pigs)

• 147 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Apparently this video game series will make woman less whore like.

DEAD OR ALIVE 6is toning down its sexualized female roster, with the series' notorious breast physics and revealing clothing no longer being at the forefront of its presentation. While an element of these series staples will still be present in the upcoming fighting game, its game director Yohei Shimbori stated that he doesn't want fans to "feel embarrassed" while playing the sequel.

Dead or Alive has always featured scantily-clad female fighters, with this even inspiring a spin-off series, Dead or Alive Xtreme Volleyball. However, for Dead or Alive 6, developer Team Ninja is going in a different direction. Speaking to Eurogamer, Shimbori explained that heroine Kasumi's costume change into a bodysuit was "very intentional."

"The reason I chose that costume is because I'm a fan of American comic books," Shimbori said. "When you look at American comics, they're abandoning those classical costumes and becoming more functional, becoming more like fighters. They have certain materials they use for the costumes. I thought that was a wonderful idea and I wanted to follow that."

Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/398091-dead-or-alive-6-no-longer-focusing-on-sexualization-with-new-costume-changes#Euo5m78HhshzwBvW.99

Shimbori added that there will still be "some movement" in terms of DoA 6's breast physics, though the "global trend" of scaling back the sexualization of video game characters means that Team Ninja has decided to follow suit. Judging from the footage we've seen so far, Dead or Alive 6 will still be a little more OTT in this regard than other fighting games, but Shimbori and his team want to make it "so everyone can play without being embarrassed."

In another interview with GameInformer, Shimbori added that he had regrets over Dead or Alive 5's presentation. "Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, we put [sexuality] on the front line and used the soft engine [note: an engine used in DOA5 for advanced butt and breast jiggling] for that," he said. "And actually, we’re reflecting on that… maybe we did a little too much. Of course, we will have some jiggling and some movement, but as a whole we’re going to tone down.

"To sum it up, this is going to be going for a very cool, mature look compared to the other games," Shimbori concluded. "Also, very natural, not just for the characters, but for the stages, backgrounds, renderings, and everything that we want to make very consistent with a mature, natural look."

Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/398091-dead-or-alive-6-no-longer-focusing-on-sexualization-with-new-costume-changes#Euo5m78HhshzwBvW.99

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

My oh my that pic... Wow, those two on my boat would be a very good time. lolol :P

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

OP: only if you follow instead of lead

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Pre order Cancelled

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Oh well. I’ll still get the game anyway because I really enjoy the gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Cue another 700+ post thread full of intelligent and nuanced debate by rational people with different opinions.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I don't know. In this particular case... ...I might probably do the same thing in their position. I mean, you go on the games series' TVTropes page, and within the first two paragraphs, there are four separate jokes about bouncing titties and fanservice.

Which is fine and all. Hell, even I've made the same jokes in the past. But maybe, just maybe, I might be a little tired of the jokes after all these years? Perhaps I might want my game to be taken a little more seriously, and be a little less infamous for bouncing polygonal orbs and skin?

I mean, from what I've seen, there's still one girl in a skintight catsuit, and another in a Chinese dress with very generous cleavage. It's not as like they've been stuffed into burqas or something.

Maybe if they can clean up their DLC mess, I'll keep an eye on this game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

The DLC and supposedly terrible PC port put me off trying it.

Koei Tecmo are probably the worst "big" publisher on Steam.

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

Sales for this game will probably bomb without the big bouncing boobies.

Then the devs will realize they made a mistake and go back to what the fans want with “fan service” when they make the next sequel (DOA7).

Just imagine DOA7 for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett with much better graphics and extra fan service (big bouncing boobies in your face) etc.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt
@EnergyAbsorber said:

Then the devs will realize they made a mistake and go back to what the fans want with “fan service” when they make the next sequel (DOA7).

Just imagine DOA7 for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett with much better graphics and extra fan service (big bouncing boobies in your face) etc.

wouldnt that be pandering to those who want big boobies?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

It didn't look that toned down to me. Now this game will have to sell on its own merits... and frankly, I don't think it's gonna make it.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@boycie said:

Cue another 700+ post thread full of intelligent and nuanced debate by rational people with different opinions.

Can't wait.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

Translation: You can pay for the sexy costumes.

Anyways as long as i can keep wrecking people with Hyabusa im cool.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

? This is an outrage lol!

DOA without bouncing boobs is like GTA without violence.

They devs are probably bullshitting like they did right before DOA5’s launch. ? They also made claims they were going to “tone down” the fanservice down on that game until right before launch when they released the bikini preorder costumes. They realized the game was gonna bomb without fanservice and they quickly came to their senses. How else are they gonna sell those overpriced DLCs if they don’t have fanservice? The series is generic and mediocre without fanservice, and it’s too late to remove it since it’s part of the series’ 20 year history. They are probably doing this to prevent SJWs from attacking them before the game’s launch and bringing negative publicity.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@tryit said:
@EnergyAbsorber said:

Yes, that would fall in to a definition of Pandering.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt

@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:
@EnergyAbsorber said:

so that would be a bad thing right? so what do they do? either thing they do its pandering

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I wasnt aware there was a game mechanic where sexual services were traded for currency in these games. What makes them whore-like?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuadKnight

@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:
@EnergyAbsorber said:

so that would be a bad thing right? so what do they do? either thing they do its pandering

They should listen to their core fans who pay their bills instead of SJWs who were never gonna buy the game anyway. This is how a lot of game series die, devs listen to a vocal SJW minority who don’t buy their game and then they piss off their core fans and the game flops.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts
@boycie said:

"And here... we... go..." - Heath Ledger as the Joker

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@quadknight: This could be a good thing in the long run. Once the games can demonstrate to the repressive asexual activists that their opinions don't pay the Bill's, it will be easier to dismiss them going forward.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

The sales will dictate if it was the right move.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Pretty great movie, need to watch that again.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt
@quadknight said:
@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:
@EnergyAbsorber said:

They should listen to their core fans who pay their bills instead of SJWs who were never gonna buy the game anyway. This is how a lot of game series die, devs listen to a vocal SJW minority who don’t buy their game and then they piss off their core fans and the game flops.

so its not about pandering, its about WHO one panders to,

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Never been a fan of these games but I thought the skimpy outfits and big bouncy knockers were what made this series of games popular in the first place.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#25 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Was anyone actually embarassed playing the games before? I wasn't. It seems a bit unnecessary but whatever..

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1
@tryit said:
@quadknight said:
@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:

Yes again that is correct, you're doing well here. Pandering can be both desirable and undesirable, depending on the who, what and why.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt
@GarGx1 said:
@tryit said:
@quadknight said:
@tryit said:
@GarGx1 said:

Yes again that is correct, you're doing well here. Pandering can be both desirable and undesirable, depending on the who, what and why.

thanks!

so if its pandering either way, why debating for dates over it being 'pandering'?

because the fact that its pandering is not relevant, its WHO you are panding to that is.

so that debate you and I had for several days is now mute

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GarGx1

@tryit: Not at all, my complaint was over the "who" not the act it self.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

I don't know. In this particular case... ...I might probably do the same thing in their position. I mean, you go on the games series' TVTropes page, and within the first two paragraphs, there are four separate jokes about bouncing titties and fanservice.

Which is fine and all. Hell, even I've made the same jokes in the past. But maybe, just maybe, I might be a little tired of the jokes after all these years? Perhaps I might want my game to be taken a little more seriously, and be a little less infamous for bouncing polygonal orbs and skin?

I mean, from what I've seen, there's still one girl in a skintight catsuit, and another in a Chinese dress with very generous cleavage. It's not as like they've been stuffed into burqas or something.

Maybe if they can clean up their DLC mess, I'll keep an eye on this game.

The only counter-argument I have to that is, what other game is going to take its place then? Or do you think that it's - like zombie games - oversaturated and now no longer that interesting to their audience?

Personally I don't mind this either but I do want games to remain quite diverse and I always thought that DoA was kind of on the fringes of what was possible while still maintaining mass media coverage. It would be a shame if that went away for their audience. Though like you say, it doesn't seem like this will be a big change at all. In fact, they may be able to make it even sexier now with a bit more 'seriousness' and secrecy for contrast.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Miss America is no longer its former self when its organizers decided to remove the swimsuit competition and no longer make it a beauty paegent. Not surprising that its ratings has been falling in the last several years, just like the NFL and the Academy Awards (Oscars). And now a franchise such as Dead or Alive?

What next? Grand Theft Auto? Halo? Legend of Zelda? Super Mario? Final Fantasy? God of War?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Was anyone actually embarassed playing the games before? I wasn't. It seems a bit unnecessary but whatever..

Donno, never played it. Your typical 4chan communities seem to love it, while your Resetera goons and pink haired Polygon freaks are probably banging their pulpits.

I might pick this up if it's reasonably priced, a good port, and active.

The problem for me is the Publisher is just a straight up asshole. Titties or no titties not too fussed either way. But I really doubt Koei Tecmo will learn.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TryIt
@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: Not at all, my complaint was over the "who" not the act it self.

no it wasnt, but ok lets leave the word 'pandering'; out of it then because the word doesn't matter to the substance of your view so it just muddys the waters

you were pretty religious about the word itself

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I'm getting Senran Kagura Burst: Renewal on PC instead of Dead Or Alive 6.

I'll wait for DoA6 GOTY Edition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Well no one took DOA 5 that seriously as much as Mortal Kombat,Street Fighter,Tekken and even Virtua Fighter which is why they are toning it back.

If people want boobs they can watch porn videos instead of buying a game for that purpose.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GarGx1

@tryit: Only because I had to explain it's use and meaning on so many occasions before it sunk in.

Anyway this is derailing the thread so I suggest we leave it there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup
@dorog1995 said:

Well no one took DOA 5 that seriously as much as Mortal Kombat,Street Fighter,Tekken and even Virtua Fighter which is why they are toning it back.

If people want boobs they can watch porn videos instead of buying a game for that purpose.

Bro, these games are full of boobies. Mortal Kombat X toned it down, and it made for a far more boring game.

SFV itself removed R.Mikas buttslap but she's still walking round with her arsehole hanging out, with her flying peach move involving shoving it in your face, which is just... awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

were not pigs we just like hot women what the hell is wrong with that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@uninspiredcup: The main problem of DOA 5 was that they advertised their "Soft Engine" much more than gameplay. While in other games(Even those that have fanservice) they always focused on advertising gameplay.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TryIt

@GarGx1 said:

@tryit: Only because I had to explain it's use and meaning on so many occasions before it sunk in.

Anyway this is derailing the thread so I suggest we leave it there.

stop pulling the 'I dont want to talk so I will cry derailing' card it gets old. just dont reply if you think I am off.

Assertion: 'developer should pander to their fans'

My Question: 'Why'?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@GarGx1: I'm sorry but I couldn't help but notice you made it to 10,000 post! Congratulation!!!

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Okay fine but if Xtreme Beach Volleyball is toned down too then we riot.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Only good thing about DOA were the hot chicks.

As videogames, DOA games have always been rubbish. Always.

The only thing that made them sell were the bouncy boobs. And if they are taken away, the games will not sell no more.

Its as simple as that.

I know lot of DOA fanboys who only play the game for the chicks. Apparently, if you play long enough, you unlock special clothes and body oils and whatnots. See what I mean? They only play for the chicks. Not because the fighting is good...

Last time I tried DOA game, was on 360. It was just as rubbish there as it was on previous gen. So, chicks or no, I'll pass anyways.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By QuadKnight
@dorog1995 said:

The fact it was never taken seriously has nothing to do with the boobs, it's because of its mechanics. The rock paper scissors parry system isn't something a lot the hardcore FGC likes, they like guaranteed hits in their fighting games.

Removing the boobs won't change this, and the fighting game community will still not take DOA6 seriously.

Also, all those games you mentioned have plenty of boobs and people still take them seriously. Don't make me post my SFV Laura and Mika pics in this thread lol.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By QuadKnight
@henrythefifth said:

Only good thing about DOA were the hot chicks.

As videogames, DOA games have always been rubbish. Always.

The only thing that made them sell were the bouncy boobs. And if they are taken away, the games will not sell no more.

Its as simple as that.

I know lot of DOA fanboys who only play the game for the chicks. Apparently, if you play long enough, you unlock special clothes and body oils and whatnots. See what I mean? They only play for the chicks. Not because the fighting is good...

Last time I tried DOA game, was on 360. It was just as rubbish there as it was on previous gen. So, chicks or no, I'll pass anyways.

You're mixing it up with DOAX not the main DOA fighting games. There are no oils to unlock in DOA5.

DOA has a lot of good gameplay, the chicks are just a bonus.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The SJW's strike again. It's up to Al Bundy and No Ma'am to save us!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c56012aaa167

@quadknight said:

The fact it was never taken seriously has nothing to do with the boobs, it's because of its mechanics. The rock paper scissors parry system isn't something a lot the hardcore FGC likes, they like guaranteed hits in their fighting games.

Removing the boobs won't change this, and the fighting game community will still not take DOA6 seriously.

Also, all those games you mentioned have plenty of boobs and people still take them seriously. Don't make me post my SFV Laura and Mika pics in this thread lol.

It has nothing to do with mechanics. For example Tekken 4(Which was the black sheep Tekken game) had more Evo tournaments than DOA , And Mortal Kombat has inferior gameplay compare to DOA and it's been taken more seriously.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 QuadKnight
@davillain- said:

I'm getting Senran Kagura Burst: Renewal on PC instead of Dead Or Alive 6.

I'll wait for DoA6 GOTY Edition.

You will still be getting Soul Calibur 6 tho' right?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By QuadKnight
@dorog1995 said:
@quadknight said:

It has nothing to do with mechanics. For example Tekken 4(Which was the black sheep Tekken game) had more Evo tournaments than DOA , And Mortal Kombat has inferior gameplay compare to DOA and it's been taken more seriously.

It's the gameplay bro not the boobs. Even Tekken 4 has better core gameplay for the hardcore community than any DOA game.

Watch and see as this DOA6 still flops in the FGC after they tone things down. They already tried this tactic with DOA5 at launch and it still didn't work. They played it for short time and went back to Tekken and SF, the FGC hates the parry system in DOA games.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GarGx1
@davillain- said:

@GarGx1: I'm sorry but I couldn't help but notice you made it to 10,000 post! Congratulation!!!

So I did!

Cheers :)

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I think it wants to be tekken more seriously.

Sadly though - it's kind of painted itself into a corner with a jiggle-engine advertised from day 1.

If it want to grow up it needs to prove it has good gameplay, which it actually does and is way better than shitty Mortal Kombat is now.

The thing is, everyone seems to believe sex sells, when there is no actual proof for this other than assumption.