Dead Island is better than Left 4 Dead

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zlychop
Member since 2011 • 1316 Posts

Dead Island offers a...

Serious tone which fits in with a Zombie outbreak

An open world non linear world.

Vehicles

Better visuals (UE3)

A longer campaign

More engaging melee combat

Left 4 Dead offers a...

An extremely linear campaign, pretty much point A-B.

A joking funny kind of tone that is just awkward, the music in game nor the tone feels right for what's actually going on.

A short a run N gun campaign

VS where you pretty much run across the same point A-B maps a million times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left 4 Dead comes off more as being a mod, it doesn't portray a zombie outbreak the right way. It's even debatable that CSS Zombie mod is superior.

Play DAYZ, Resident Evil 4 or any Resident Evil game, watch Dawn of The Dead and 28 Weeks Later or Days later. These movies/games portray what a zombie apocalypse should play out it like and Dead Island did a much better job than Left 4 Dead in setting the atmosphere, its a full fledge game where as Left 4 Dead is like an XBL Arcade kind of game priced at $60

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Since when does serious have to fit a zombie outbreak. L4D is meant to be like a campy B-horror movie, that's why all the loading screens are movie posters

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.
Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zlychop
I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.ispeakfact
Yeah, a Bethesda open world Zombie game with a Dead Island like setting would be incredible.
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

Dead Island is bulls**t.

It had an unholy amount of potential, but it wasted it.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Plants vs Zombies beats both. Period.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

How come nobody's mentioning Killing Floor?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib

cain006

Uh obviously because those are experiments not zombies:P

Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zlychop

cain006
Also because KF doesn't have a campaign, its an MP only game and was actually a mod to UT2K4 :)
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
lol no.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

I LOVED Dead Island and cant wait for a sequal but there were quite a few problems

-Vehicles were horrifically bad(cant look behind)

-The areas after the resort and city just plain old sucked

I just hope the 2nd one sticks with a resort like setting and city and adds stuff like maybe an amusment park and such

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.sts106mat
I just picked up a copy of it actually, won't be playing it till later though. about the analogue controls, do I need to hold the aim trigger and then flick the right stick? The manual says the stick is used for looking.

Yeah. It's pretty slick. As you are holding the weapon, you see both of your arms. As you rotate the analog stick around, the arms will follow, then you pull back in the direction you want to "wind up" in, then flick in the direction you want to strike. It's awesome! You can get very precise hits. The best is holding a bat or a katana. If you have one of the infected start running at you full speed. So much fun to just wind up, then swing just at the right moment...you can take their head clean off. So much fun. :P

Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zlychop

I LOVED Dead Island and cant wait for a sequal but there were quite a few problems

I just hope the 2nd one sticks with a resort like setting and city and adds stuff like maybe an amusment park and such

fueled-system
The 3rd act in the Jungle was amazing, and yeah the vehicles need work.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
I think dead island's pacing is terrible and its too easy. Left 4 Dead might be linear but its all about challenging players to work together to overcome the odds. Its far more intense and overall funner to keep coming back to. in the end they are completely different types of games, just because they are in first person and have zombies i don't think they are that comparable.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]I think dead island's pacing is terrible and its too easy. Left 4 Dead might be linear but its all about challenging players to work together to overcome the odds. Its far more intense and overall funner to keep coming back to. in the end they are completely different types of games, just because they are in first person and have zombies i don't think they are that comparable.

This^
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Dead Island is ok, but its WAY too buggy and takes itself too serious to the point its comical. Losing rare weapons and items FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER is common, the death system is horribly flawed, the characters are dopes and there are too many dumb fetch quests.

Left 4 Dead is linear, but it does give that true sense of despair and survival I think, despite its linearity. You have to keep a profile on ammo, work with your teammates, heal up and if you die you gotta wait until they reach the safehouse or find a rescue closet (and that's on non Realistic modes). I kind of hated the first L4D game, but the second fixed every issue I had with the first (mainly repetition in levels and gear) and its a well known and popular series for a reason.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Yeah, that's why everyone on steam is still playing L4D2 and not dead island :P

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Dead Island sucks.

I play L4D co-op for years.

istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts

cain006
Cause it's on pc only, duh.
Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zlychop
[QUOTE="cain006"]

istreakforfood
Cause it's on pc only, duh.

True
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I hated Dead Island after the first section of the game. That church crap was terrible.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#24 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Both are pretty awesome games.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Zlychop

No it wasn't. It was nothing but linear and boring paths. The jungle was the weakest part of the game. The city and resort were great though.

Avatar image for slantedandencha
slantedandencha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slantedandencha
Member since 2005 • 367 Posts

I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.ispeakfact

we know you hate left 4 dead because it's not on ps3, you furry armed freak

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

lol no. mems_1224
lol yeah

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ispeakfact

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.slantedandencha

Hmm...as I'm rummaging through my jelly pics...I'm trying to recall when I ever said I hated Left4Dead. Ah..found a pic. Carry on, sw. :cool:
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

[QUOTE="ispeakfact"]I personally love Dead Island, and think it's the best zombie game made so far. While the characters and story aren't anything to write home about, the combat, visuals, environments, and the zombies themselves made it epic. This game got fp melee combat right...and if you used the analog controls, it just made beating zombies that much more fun. I alwasy said...if Bethesda could somehow incorporate the melee combat from Dead Island into their games, most recently Skyrim, that would be fantastic. I do enjoy Bethesda games to an extent, but they really need to update their combat mechanics. Dead Island got it right.slantedandencha

haha
Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zlychop

I hated Dead Island after the first section of the game. That church crap was terrible.

ninjapirate2000
The game got much better after that.
Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zlychop

[QUOTE="Zlychop"][QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Master_ShakeXXX

No it wasn't. It was nothing but linear and boring paths. The jungle was the weakest part of the game. The city and resort were great though.

The Jungle was the most open area in the game, LOL.
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Dead Island got stale and boring fast. One of the worst games I've played this gen.

L4D is awesome with friends.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="Zlychop"] The 3rd act in the Jungle was amazing, and yeah the vehicles need work.Zlychop

The Jungle was the most open area in the game, LOL.

I... I don't even... bah, whatever dude.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
LOL Zombie games
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Dead Island was a piece of sh!t.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

fueled-system
I also hated with a burning passion the missions in the sewer and city ... So fkn boring. The voice acting was a load of **** too
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Complaining about "tone" is pretty silly, honestly. Left 4 Dead is a giant homage to cheesy zombie flicks of years past. Acting like having a deliberately campy tone is "wrong" is not a strong argument. This isn't some sort of delicate subject matter that needs to be handled with tact and sincerity, it's zombies.

And think about about it from a design standpoint. You're making a co-op multiplayer game. Nobody plays a co-op multiplayer game for the emotionally-wracking experience, they play it to have fun with their friends. L4D provides that. You say it would've been better with a more serious tone? I don't think so. The audience wouldn't care, and Valve gets this. So if the audience just wants to have fun, the game gives them fun. Would the games honestly have been better without Francis grumbling about how much he hates everything and arguing about whether or not the zombies are vampires? Or Ellis's nonsensical stories about Keith?

Zlychop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zlychop
Dead Island was a piece of sh!t. chilly-chill
So wrong.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Apart from zombies they're completely different games. I vote for Dead Island still.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

*head explodes* umm no Dead Island is **** compared to L4D your threada are bad and you should feel bad.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Dead Island sucked.

L4D2 versus is the way to go.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
The problem with Dead Island is that the game is too easy, especially on co-op. I'm not talking about the death mechanics either, it's simply that no enemy poses a serious threat. Once my character is geared enough to one-shot every normal zombie, and two-shot every special zombie (including final boss), the game simply became a gore simulator.
krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

lol borderlands with guns sucks

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Dead island really doesn't have a serious tone, and it doesn't use Unreal 3
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lostrib

Dead island really doesn't have a serious tone, and it doesn't use Unreal 3ferret-gamer

Lol, TC fail

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#47 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Nope.

G-O-A-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 G-O-A-T
Member since 2011 • 160 Posts
I hate the fact that every zombie game made today is comical. Cant there be at least one that takes itself seriously. JUST ONE!! Dead Island came close to what I want to see but the actual game could have been better. I hope a sequel improves it.
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

no.

FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
As much as I love L4D. I have to agree. DI has the better environment and exploration. I felt like I was playing a Fallout type game as opposed to a horde mode with different levels. Both are good games, but DI is the better of the two.