Days Gone sold over 9 mil. copies ( +8 mil on PS4, +1 mil. on Steam ) in 1.5 year

• 93 results
mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Well, sequel is put on hold.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

See. Even studio management thinks 8 million is disappointing. With these budgets and dev times, the publishers and developers are banking on bigger success. And while 1 million on steam is nice, it likely wasn’t worth the port costs.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Wow, Nintendo was right all along. 8 million being a disappointment to them, and I’m guessing they had to give massive discounts to reach those numbers too. And next gen will cost even more…rip AAA games. No wonder Elden Ring looks like a PS3 game, they scared it won’t sell enough.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

I started looking into this and it seems sony has a hate boner for this game. I don't know what happened internally but someone might be pissed or they really don't like this game.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

See. Even studio management thinks 8 million is disappointing. With these budgets and dev times, the publishers and developers are banking on bigger success. And while 1 million on steam is nice, it likely wasn’t worth the port costs.

The studio thinks they did amazing. It's Sony who was convincing them that the game was hot garbage. I don't know why but Sony seems to want to bury this game.

Edit: Unless local management means within the studio? I interpret that as Sony not Bend.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Zero_epyon: That’s cause studio has no clue how they’ve done. Only Sony can see the money side. Sony gave this game massive discounts pretty quick, so it seems people weren’t biting at the full price tag.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Is the dude's numbers right?

Maybe Sony is full of a bunch of people like the one who reviewed the game here ?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@goldenelementxl: I would like to see your speculative numbers in which over a million in sales is not worth the port cost. 😐

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

A bit shocking it did as well as Ghost of Tsushima, that looks so much better.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@lamprey263: One can say GoT didn't do that great in comparison 🤔

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

A bit shocking it did as well as Ghost of Tsushima, that looks so much better.

Ya, are we sure this right? lol

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

So.....PC version confirmed for GoT?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I mean it sold well, but in context of the Tweet and Sony treated them like it underperformed, maybe more telling that they are more interested in the critical success of the reviews than the sales.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

Sony said HZD's ROI of investment was 250% back in March 2021. Days Gone's sales were reportedly half of HZD during the first month (around 375K). It's now at 1M+. That's hard data suggesting it absolutely was worth the port.

You just want those games to fail.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

2 new IP reaching 10m soon. PS4 been incredible for new IP. As expexted considering the console cummulatively sold around 1.5b software.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Read this was a shitty movie game.

Sounds like it sold too much.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@Juub1990 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Sony said HZD's ROI of investment was 250% back in March 2021. Days Gone's sales were reportedly half of HZD during the first month (around 375K). It's now at 1M+. That's hard data suggesting it absolutely was worth the port.

He is just fluent in typing nonsense.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

Very good numbers for a very mediocre game.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

One of those games thay ive passed out due to bad reviews. Then i gave it a go again since its dirt cheap now. The game is quite good and fun. I hope there is a sequel.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@goldenelementxl said:

The studio thinks they did amazing. It's Sony who was convincing them that the game was hot garbage. I don't know why but Sony seems to want to bury this game.

Edit: Unless local management means within the studio? I interpret that as Sony not Bend.

Sony seems to listen to mainstream opinion over fan reaction to games lately. Evolution Studios was closed down after DriveClub bombed reviews despite Evolution making the awesome Motorstorm trilogy on PS3. The Order 1886 was a planned series until reviews canned that. Days Gone 2 pitch was rejected after reviews bombed the first game.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

That's shockingly high but, at the same time, the game was heavily discounted the fall after it released ($20). It probably barely broke even if at all.

The head of the studio literally said "If you love a game, buy it at f****** full price" in an interview once he left.

Part of it was reviewers trashed the game yet lots of player really enjoyed it. Unfortunate because most didn't buy it until it was $20.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I did not get it because of the bad reviews I then purchased it one year later and really enjoyed it. However the first 10 hours or so was a absolute slog.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

A great way to not be involved in a future sequel is to talk shit about your previous employer.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

They should add in another 47 million since they gave it away "free" on ps plus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Nah, the Days Gone port was in development for longer than HZD. The staff was larger too. There’s a dirty little secret out there that Sony studios were pushing PC ports far before PS announced them. Meaning these things were in the works for years. That’s tens of millions of dollars in salaries and development costs per port. There‘s articles out there detailing the 18 months+ of Days Gones PC port time.

What all these companies are struggling with on PC is that the tastes of PC gamers is FAR different than console gamers. Herms are gonna hate this, but PC gamers spend money like mobile gamers do. If it’s not a subscription based mmo, Herms are playing f2p games. With the number of active users on Steam, Epic, Origin etc, a big budget game selling a million copies is nothing. Far worse than the 5%-8% attach rate they see on consoles.

And I don’t want any games to fail. I bought HZD day 1… I haven’t played Days gone yet, only because the genre is boring to me now. But maybe someday. I’ve heard good things since launch. I just wanna call a spade a spade here. Keep the goal posts in the same position for all 3 consoles. I’m tired of the silly hypocrisy here.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@goldenelementxl: None of that validates your unfounded claim.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

COD is selling less and less, Battlefield is selling less and less

It's like putting ones eggs in only one basket is a bad idea...

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@uninspiredcup: can we finally define what movie game is? I don't see how a game filled with tons of gameplay is a movie game. You guys will champion Hellblade 2 though.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Days gone was shit.

5 out of 10 here at GS

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Man the ponies really eat all the trash thrown at em by Sony, tried it for some hours because it was free and oh yeah, wouldn't drop money on it

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

So the bosses at Sony are more influenced by the media reception than they should basically. It decides what is considered success or failure rather than sales data. And the media didn't like the game because of the identity of the protagonist, which is something the players care very little about.

I thought Days Gone was a fine game. It had a unique gameplay hook as well (hordes). Would have very much been interested in a sequel.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#34 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Are you for real? The game was content complete and uses Unreal Engine 4. The effort to port it to PC is minimal and the PC sales more than make up the port costs. Honestly, your posts just keep getting more ridiculous.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Sagemode87: It's a term dumbasses use to try and discredit popular big budget games, that's about it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup

@Sagemode87 said:

@uninspiredcup: can we finally define what movie game is? I don't see how a game filled with tons of gameplay is a movie game. You guys will champion Hellblade 2 though.

lol

right.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11275 Posts

Days Gone, probably the most underrated game of the gen. 9 million is a shit load of sales. a brand new IP from a B-team at Sony, exclusive to PS5 and sold more than multiplats from well established franchises like DMC or Resident Evi. Incredible.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Okay. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup

@vfighter said:

@Sagemode87: It's a term dumbasses use to try and discredit popular big budget games, that's about it.

"Movie game" is a colloquial term popularized by Sony used to discribe titles that put cinematic presentation or emulation ahead of and to the detriment of the gameplay itself. Typically, accompanied by specific examples.

e.g.

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

My fellow PC gamers, you disappoint me. You shouldn't have bought this sh*t.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

lol at PC gamers being envious of Sony games

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
@goldenelementxl said:
@Pedro said:
@Juub1990 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Nah, the Days Gone port was in development for longer than HZD. The staff was larger too. There’s a dirty little secret out there that Sony studios were pushing PC ports far before PS announced them. Meaning these things were in the works for years. That’s tens of millions of dollars in salaries and development costs per port. There‘s articles out there detailing the 18 months+ of Days Gones PC port time.

What all these companies are struggling with on PC is that the tastes of PC gamers is FAR different than console gamers. Herms are gonna hate this, but PC gamers spend money like mobile gamers do. If it’s not a subscription based mmo, Herms are playing f2p games. With the number of active users on Steam, Epic, Origin etc, a big budget game selling a million copies is nothing. Far worse than the 5%-8% attach rate they see on consoles.

And I don’t want any games to fail. I bought HZD day 1… I haven’t played Days gone yet, only because the genre is boring to me now. But maybe someday. I’ve heard good things since launch. I just wanna call a spade a spade here. Keep the goal posts in the same position for all 3 consoles. I’m tired of the silly hypocrisy here.

The cost of porting for sure won't be in the tens of millions, not by a long shot. The biggest cost involved in game productions are marketing, performance capture/voice acting, content/art/mode/level creation. And while programmers/engineers are individually paid higher than all the other disciplines (except celebrities) their commutative costs are not that much especially for a port for which you need even less engineers. And if they indeed put the entire studio on a port then that's bad management and on them.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Juub1990

@pc_rocks: Pretty much all his claims in his post are unfounded.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@pc_rocks: @BassMan:The PC version was ported by a group that fluctuated between 18 and 25 people. The port time was between 18-24 months. At an average salary of $80K per year for those employees…

The PC port was a way to help bridge revenue until the next big release. It helped, sure. But not as much as the studio hoped. Gamers see that a game sold X amount of copies, multiply that by 60 and then assume that’s all profit. When in reality, a large chunk of that revenue is eaten up by employee salaries. That’s why many devs will outsource the ports to the lowest bidder. That didn’t happen in this case. The profits are poured into the next release and used to fund the operating costs between releases. There isn’t some Scrooge McDuck swimming in a vault full of cash. Well unless they work on Fortnite or PUBG mobile…

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Juub1990
@goldenelementxl said:

@pc_rocks: @BassMan:The PC version was ported by a group that fluctuated between 18 and 25 people. The port time was between 18-24 months. At an average salary of $80K per year for those employees…

The PC port was a way to help bridge revenue until the next big release. It helped, sure. But not as much as the studio hoped. Gamers see that a game sold X amount of copies, multiply that by 60 and then assume that’s all profit. When in reality, a large chunk of that revenue is eaten up by employee salaries. That’s why many devs will outsource the ports to the lowest bidder. That didn’t happen in this case. The profits are poured into the next release and used to fund the operating costs between releases. There isn’t some Scrooge McDuck swimming in a vault full of cash. Well unless they work on Fortnite or PUBG mobile…

Once again, source for all these claims.

I also got bad news for you if you think the average game developer makes $80K/year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pedro

Didn't I say he was fluent in nonsense 😂

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Rocks

@goldenelementxl said:

First what's the source? 18-24 months is too much time for a simple UE4 port, it just doesn't add up. Even the team of 25 is too much for such a thing but could chalk up to be a possibility if they rotated those. Even if all of this is true, it's simply bad management and incompetence. Nothing to do with the usual cost of a port.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@pc_rocks: You are going to get caught in a rabbit hole of nonsense, I warn you.🙃

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990

The production budget of Horizon was around $50M USD (45M Euros). This obviously doesn't include marketing costs which could easily double the total. Whatever the case, how did a Days Gone port end up costing "10's of millions" if HZD alone costs $50M? These figures don't even add up.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@Juub1990: They started the game from scratch for the PC port. 😂