Crysis possible on consoles?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Mostly asking this about the PS3, as I recently saw someone claim that, with the Cell, the PS3 has a processor that outstrips that of most PCs, making Crysis on High and Very High easily possible on consoles. As I know next to nothing about the Cell, I thought I would put the question to you. Is the Cell really that powerful?
Sorry, I'm a total technical idiot.
primateface

cell sucks

I've been hearing a LOT of different stories about the Cell. Some calling it one of the most powerful processors in existence, some saying it is utter trash.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 primateface
Member since 2008 • 1095 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Mostly asking this about the PS3, as I recently saw someone claim that, with the Cell, the PS3 has a processor that outstrips that of most PCs, making Crysis on High and Very High easily possible on consoles. As I know next to nothing about the Cell, I thought I would put the question to you. Is the Cell really that powerful?
pyromaniac223

cell sucks

I've been hearing a LOT of different stories about the Cell. Some calling it one of the most powerful processors in existence, some saying it is utter trash.

cell can do shaders used to improv how textures look and run procedural generation graphics engines.

But it's basically too slow for pg.

bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

pyromaniac223

cell sucks

Well considering my $120 E7200 smacks it around, I'd say it is trash.

Anyways, Crysis is really not CPU dependent if you have a decent CPU. For example if I upgraded to an E8500, I would not notice a difference in my framerates unless I upgraded my graphics card as well.

The limiting factor on the PS3 is the RSX. The Xbox 360 could probably run it though.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 primateface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_generation

im willing to bet cell is too slow for great use of it.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

pyromaniac223

cell sucks

Cell is trash for games. Cell is not trash for complex calculations.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

LMAO :lol: No the PS3 couldn't even run Crysis in Low because of the lack of Ram.

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 primateface

Today, most games include thousands of times as much data in terms of memory as algorithmic mechanics. For example, all of the buildings in the large game worlds of the Grand Theft Auto games have been individually designed and placed by artists. In a typical modern video game, game content such as textures and character and environment models are created by artists beforehand, then rendered in the game engine. As the technical capabilities of computers and video game consoles increases, the amount of work required by artists also greatly increases. First, high-end gaming PCs and current-generation game consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are capable of rendering scenes containing many very detailed objects with high-resolution textures in high-definition. This means that artists must invest a great deal more time in creating a single character, vehicle, building, or texture, since gamers will tend to expect ever-increasingly detailed environments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_generation#Video_games

That's the next step though...where graphics is heading.

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#58 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
Not with the equivalent of max settings. The visuals would have to be toned down considerably.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts
[QUOTE="primateface"]

pyromaniac223

cell sucks

As i said, its not same Cell in PS3 and in supercomputers,servers whatever

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 pyromaniac223
I was talking about the Cell in the PS3.
HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts

A crap Farcry game on the Wii, I'm sure Crysis would be similar on the X360...

BTW, my P4 @ 2.0Ghz, MSI FX5200 128MB runs farcry better than the Wii..

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Yes I think the only console that could handle the game would be the PS3. They are releasing a massive game on the system that no other system could run, and the game is not even running all of the systems power. The PS3 has more processing speed than most computers, and the innards of the system are very powerful. I would say the PS3 could easily run the game.XxShadowTongyxX

Fanboy much????

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 primateface

cell is probley too slow to run complex procedural generated games.

Reason it's not being used to great extent now.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lidve

HostileEffect

Awww that is ugly,especialy hand... my eyes hurt

primateface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 primateface

Cell can do shaders....shaders make up fire/smoke/lightning and stuff in games...shaders are used on textures to give them more detail also.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 pyromaniac223
[QUOTE="HostileEffect"]

Lidve

Awww that is ugly,especialy hand... my eyes hurt

Holy crap, that was his hand????? I thought that was a piece of wood or something....

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
I :wub: computers, that includes consoles, but don't pervert Crysis anymore than it already is... Farcry 2 looks sweet though.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Lidve

Cell can do shaders....shaders make up fire/smoke/lightning and stuff in games...shaders are used on textures to give them more detail also.

primateface

Actualy,fire / smoke are mostly just some 2D images that "face camera" all the time

Shaders are used to "render" scene and have nothing to do with fire/smoke mostly

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 pyromaniac223
So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.pyromaniac223
the hype they could insue with it, new technology=whatever u want to say and ppl will believe you....until they use it.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.pyromaniac223

Because they are insane. I have no idea why they did that.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Lidve

Probably because Sony wanted that PS3 become more than console for gaming,they wanted that PS3 "replace pc" :roll:

+ probably for easier/faster decoding encoding

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

Because it has super untapped potential that, when unleashed, allow you to make games that look almost as good as doom III.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lidve

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.Kez1984

Because it has super untapped potential that, when unleashed, allow you to make games that look almost as good as doom III.

HAHA that was good one i laughed hard xD hahah :lol:

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 pyromaniac223

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.Lidve

Probably because Sony wanted that PS3 become more than console for gaming,they wanted that PS3 "replace pc" :roll:

+ probably for easier/faster decoding encoding

Did they really think it would replace the PC? Wow...respect for Sony just went down.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#77 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So the Cell really isn't better than most PC processors? Or is it more complicated than that?Vandalvideo
More complicated. The cell is easily the strongest CPU on the market.........for processes that have nothing to do with gaming. CPUs on the PC can easily lap around the cell in gaming proccesses. If you want a super computer for math, sure go for the cell.

Not any more, if you want to do math a PC equipped with an HD4870x2 would be your choice. 2 Tera Flops of processing power.
Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Lidve

Did they really think it would replace the PC? Wow...respect for Sony just went down.pyromaniac223

Lol, than you should check out some other stuff like

1."ps3 cures cancer"

2.Propoganda: Xbox is too big! Big stupid American design! Offensive to Japanese and other stylish people!

Reality: PS3 is bigger than the original Xbox.

3.Propoganda: Xbox have nVidia graphic! M$ too stupid to make their own graphic! They have to get PC graphic chip! Hahah! Xbox just PC in a box! Sony make their own Graphic Synthesizer! Awesome console technology!

Reality: PS3 has nVidia graphics.

4.Propoganda: Nintendo was stupid to push connectivity between a handheld and a console.

Reality: Sony pushes connectivity between a handheld and a console.

5."Users will be able to store their content in an online storage server called the 'Cell Storage'. And the Cell processor, when it's not being used, can refine the content's quality. We call it the 'ageing' process. For example, users can 'age' their Standard Definition (SD) video and up-convert it to High Definition (HD) video.

HAhahahhaha

there is more just google it "sony lies" etc

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 pyromaniac223
I remember one saying that the Cell is more adapted for movie code, not games, so it will translate games into movies for the Cell and make games more like movies.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#80 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So the Cell really isn't better than most PC processors? Or is it more complicated than that?muscleserge
More complicated. The cell is easily the strongest CPU on the market.........for processes that have nothing to do with gaming. CPUs on the PC can easily lap around the cell in gaming proccesses. If you want a super computer for math, sure go for the cell.

Not any more, if you want to do math a PC equipped with an HD4870x2 would be your choice. 2 Tera Flops of processing power.

Aaaaah, Moore's Law gets me again. Curse you Moore, CURSE YOU.
Pinkyimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#81 Pinkyimp
Member since 2006 • 3623 Posts

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.Kez1984

WOW..MGS4 dosent even look better than a 2004 game?..sad.

PS3 is teh powarzz!!! my ass

ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

Lidve

Consoles cant even run maxed out Oblivion for Gods sake

I dont know if youve ever noticed but Oblivion on a PC is terrible. The framerate is so choppy and the graphics very edgy. Definitely runs much smoother on the PS3/360.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Actualy,fire / smoke are mostly just some 2D images that "face camera" all the time

Shaders are used to "render" scene and have nothing to do with fire/smoke mostly

Lidve

That was the last-gen way of doing it. A lot of games still do that, but the good ones use shaders (or Cell) to run complex procedural particle simulations. Check out the smoke in Killzone 2 if you want to see a nice example.
deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deniiiii21
Member since 2007 • 1261 Posts
Why do people bring these topics up, consoles are fun and offer great graphics, if you want a machine that demolishes a console graphics wise, just build your own PC, and people please quit talking about all the untapped potential of consoles, you have two very mediocre video cards by todays standards, actually they are low end, and the lack of ram doesnt help either one, what you saw in games like Uncharted Prologue MGS Gears is best it will get, maybe they will squeeze a little more by optimizing, the devs are actually doing a terrific job at making graphics for these consoles, as the hardware is soo limited, and Cell is not that great, a standard Dual Core kills it.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.organic_machine

Because they are insane. I have no idea why they did that.

...or because it offers a lot of throughput for low price, and because they wanted to establish a scalable platform that they could extend and reuse in future console generations.

But I guess everyone's theory that Sony engineers are a bunch of idiots is more likely. :roll:
deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deniiiii21
Consoles are soo limited that even the greatest Devs have a hard time putting up 720P resolution, which in todays PC world is as low as resolution as you want, COD4 Halo3 MGS and some of the greatest devs have been forced to 600P resolution so the framerate is keept constant and they can add some shadows and AA's to the game, I think there will be games that look better than todays, but nothing groundbreaking, if you want graphics pick up a HD4850 it wont break the bank.
MajinFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MajinFix
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts
its possible but I would say medium settings in DX9
deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deniiiii21
I think medium could be accomplished with resolution at probably 640p, and maybe cut the draw distance a little, I am sure crytek would somehow make the game look very good, not PC good, but good nonetheless.
C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts

"...not in its current state" -Crytek.Vandalvideo

yea well, a water downed port is still possible.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Lidve

I dont know if youve ever noticed but Oblivion on a PC is terrible. The framerate is so choppy and the graphics very edgy. Definitely runs much smoother on the PS3/360.ChiSoxBombers

HAHAHA are you serrious ? :roll:

Oblivion on PS3 / X360 is like low-medium with some stuff on high :roll:

Dont make me post screenshots please

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lidve
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

Teufelhuhn

That was the last-gen way of doing it. A lot of games still do that, but the good ones use shaders (or Cell) to run complex procedural particle simulations. Check out the smoke in Killzone 2 if you want to see a nice example.

Lol,first thing i noticed in KZ2 smoke were those 2D images lol :roll: , at least in smoke from missile

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Lidve"]

ChiSoxBombers

Consoles cant even run maxed out Oblivion for Gods sake

I dont know if youve ever noticed but Oblivion on a PC is terrible. The framerate is so choppy and the graphics very edgy. Definitely runs much smoother on the PS3/360.

Another ****c post.

c/l/a/s/s/i/c is a banned word? What?

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Kez1984
[QUOTE="Kez1984"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]So if the Cell is really not suited for games why did Sony include it in the PS3 then talk about it like crazy with the media.Pinkyimp

WOW..MGS4 dosent even look better than a 2004 game?..sad.

PS3 is teh powarzz!!! my ass

Tactical graphical upgrade espionage action.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#95 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
CryEngine2 is possible (and exists) on consoles but Crysis won't run on consoles without serious downgrading. Cell alone is not enough to run Crysis as the game is also a major memory hog. What we are going to see though is a console version of Crysis with smaller areas et cetera, like with Far Cry Instincts.
DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

Everyone goes on about the cells spe's being able to handle offloaded tasks from the gpu, i.e. you fanboys go on about the cell rendering gfx lol. The cell has 6 spe's available to do that. Todays gpu's have hundreds of stream processors. The cell is weak at rendering graphics and has nowhere near the horse power. Don't even get me started on the RSX lol. The PS3 is weak compared to todays PCs, face it guys.

Ace132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ace132
Member since 2008 • 1515 Posts

im 100% sure it CANT be on wii

im 45% sure it might be on PS3

im 69% sure it might be on 360

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#98 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Not in it's current state. It would have to face a lot of technical cutbacks to get it going on consoles and at the end it wouldn't be worth it anymore cause it'll just be a stripped down experience.

Why bring this up anyway? Crytek clearly stated that it can't be done.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Why is this even up for debate? Anyone with a small amount of technical knowledge knows why a Crysis port isn't possible, the CEO of Crytek has said the same thing but people continue to keep asking this same question.

For Crysis to work on consoles the game would have to be redesigned for their hardware; which means changing the game play that made Crysis 'Crysis' while also reducing the graphical quality.

DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

Why is this even up for debate? Anyone with a small amount of technical knowledge knows why a Crysis port isn't possible, the CEO of Crytek has said the same thing but people continue to keep asking this same question.

For Crysis to work on consoles the game would have to be redesigned for their hardware; which means changing the game play that made Crysis 'Crysis' while also reducing the graphical quality.

AnnoyedDragon

I dunno, I'm sure they could port it. Ofcourse, they'll have to snip the level size down, maybe cut them into sections and load them up as needed. Consolites wouldn't mind having a loading screen now and then. You could throw out any sort of AA, drop the settings to low/medium and then run it at 576p. With a bit of post processing giving anything in the distance a blurred effect it might just work.

There, you 'could' have crysis on consoles :lol: