Crysis 1 looks dated? Killzone 3 looks better?

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

So I finally got my new pc and can max crysis out with no problem. I showed the game to a friend of mine and he said "The game looks dated". Then he put a video of killzone 3 and he said "Dude just look at the water". What do you guys think?

Note: I do not have any mods on the game, I want to finish it vanilla style.

TailBlood

I don't think any of this actually happened.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

kz 3 = garbage.

crysis = graphics king.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

Guess I'll post a pic of Crysis just because I can :P And yeah it does look better than killzone.

*Snip* image removed for fear of being modded.

TailBlood

This looks a bit more... beautiful. ;)

That also at least partially a matter of taste.

From just glancing at your two images, I think the latter is probably what provides the best campaign craphics.

Look a little similar to what I ended up with after trying various mods. In the case of Crysis, mods meant, for me, texture replacements and a custom autoexec.cfg. I'm not aware of anything else that has any impact on the campaign graphically. I do use the AF/POM mod though.

That image of yours looks great in r_screenshot=1 but it's not necessarily something that you'd want to play the campaign with.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edit: I forgot to mention ToDs. I use Reli2 but merged the cfg with a "maxed" one and adjusted it.

Editedit: And I'll bet you his view is angled upwards to obscure sight of the ground ;)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Crysis 1 looks better.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

LOL Crysis is dated. It only looks good in downsampled pics. It was great for 2007 but now its being extremely overrated.Basically the people that praise Crysis have a fetish for grass and foliage and the people that get off seeing high-end hardware choke. Never knew what was the big deal with this game and everybody brings it up as the end-all arguement to superior graphics, when it just doesn't actually look that good while playing it.

Jebus213

I doubt you've ever played it. It looks stunning when you have the settings turned up. With a few tweaks to the configs you can make the game look even better...

That's how it looks for me with some ToD and config tweaks. Runs better too.

Yeah, it looks good in a downsampled pic. All you need to do is put in a couple of commands so screenshots are twice that of your resolution and downsize it in gimp.

Done it plenty of times.

Here's a crappy jpg from the built in Steam function.

Quality sucks but at least you can't accuse it of being downsampled.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Crysis is overrated graphically. It looks better then KZ3, but both Crysis 2 and Witcher 2 look better.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

To the poster above. I got the pic from google lol. Here's what my game looks like:

Edit: I had to resize because steam tends to overdue the game, and like I posted this screenshot is how the game looks on my pc.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

I see your friend is use to that bloom n blur fest that is Killzone

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#59 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

LOL Crysis is dated. It only looks good in downsampled pics. It was great for 2007 but now its being extremely overrated.Basically the people that praise Crysis have a fetish for grass and foliage and the people that get off seeing high-end hardware choke. Never knew what was the big deal with this game and everybody brings it up as the end-all arguement to superior graphics, when it just doesn't actually look that good while playing it.

Jebus213

I doubt you've ever played it. It looks stunning when you have the settings turned up. With a few tweaks to the configs you can make the game look even better...

That's how it looks for me with some ToD and config tweaks. Runs better too.

Yeah, it looks good in a downsampled pic. All you need to do is put in a couple of commands so screenshots are twice that of your resolution and downsize it in gimp.

Done it plenty of times.

That screenshot was taken on my machine, with fraps. I play Crysis with those configs and 4x AA at 1680x1050. I get around 30-45 FPS which is fine for me.

You can chose not to believe me if you want, but I'm tellin gyou the truth.

I used the maximum immersion mod. Some guy tweaked the RealLifesis mod a bit. I also went in and tweaked some minor settings for dynamic shadows and corps removal as well as some AA things around the trees.

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

NoodleFighter

It's called depth of field and motion blur. Both of which occur in our eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur#Biology

It confuses me as to why people don't like it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I wouldn't put too much weight on your friend's opinion of graphics. My brother is convinced that Half Life 2: Lost Coast looks better than Crysis Warhead and my other friend says that Fifa looks better than any PC game because when you play Fifa is looks like an actual soccer game

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

And some Crysis pics because I feel like it

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

It's hard to make proper judgment due to jpeg compression. The only people who actually have a say in these debates are the people who played both games using the same display, although I usually believe that due to the difference in recommended viewing distance compared to a PC monitor and an HDTV usually allows console devs to get away with lower resolution textures.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

In my opinion Killzone 3 looks better then vanilla Crysis maxed out and its not even close.

Not sure why - maybe because KZ3 has way better animation, way better particle effects, way better lighting and i think it has even more polygons in environments.

Crysis has way better textures and can run at higher res, but thats just not enough.

BlbecekBobecek
Omg...Just popped into this thread to see if responses like this cropped up. Its kinda scary really...KZ3 doesn't even do any one single aspect that makes up a games graphics better than Crysis. Animations and thats all I'll give you.
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts

Like this water?

I think your buddy needs to get his eyes checked.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

Crysis is overrated graphically. It looks better then KZ3, but both Crysis 2 and Witcher 2 look better.

magnax1
Neither of those games look better than Crysis. For one example Crysis NPC enemy characters like the Koreans look better than the main characters from C2.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Please, the corridors and staircases of K3 cant compare to the open environement of Crysis. Hell even the Crysis mp looked better than K3 mp, which is clutererd although that is the least of its problems. God damn are K3 mp maps crap.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#68 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Both look great to me.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#69 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

No. No game looks as good as Crysis.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

Add some configs/ mods that take about 10 minutes to do in all and it looks like this.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="TailBlood"]

Your wrong... Which is why games aren't considered art... yet. It's subjective. Honestly about a year ago I went to a museum and was looking at an award winning painting (an apple with a banana). I didn't get it. Looked like crap to me. Am I wrong? No. Are they right? No. We are just different in our tastes, different views of the world and what art means.

TailBlood

The fact that you didnt get it doesnt mean that its subjective. Art has objective quality in it and it has nothing at all to do with whether you like it or not. Mozart or Smetana music is genius whether you (or anybody) like it or not. Its all about going through the artistic perseverance, to be humble enough to accept what the given piece of art is trying to offer you...... uh, I guess my English isnt good enough to really point out what Im trying to say, but I a huge art lover and I feel offended when somebody thinks art is subjective. Its not and people with taste know it.

Wrong once again. Mozart and Smetana have their critics. In fact I have a friend of mine that hates Mozart, but he loves instrumental music though. And I believe I have my own tastes (2001: a space odyssey, elephant man, the seventh seal, city of god, shadow of the colossus, okami, led zepplin, queen, the beatles etc.) Do you think everyone thinks that those whom I mentioned are art? I'm not only an art lover, but I make and study art (no comment)... and I've understood that not everyone is going to love what you do. Not because it's crappy, but because it's subjective.

Not "once again" - that was my first post in this discussion :) But since I think its nice to share our opinions on this matter I will get into it once more (sorry if OT).

Everything has its critics, I personally am not a great fan of Mozart too (Queens of the Stone Age, Dire Straits and P.J. Harvey are my cup of tea - and from classical music I like Bach and Dvorak, but I really didnt hear enough classical music to think my oppinion matters). But the point Im trying to make is that whether something is quality or not has nothing to do with whether I like it or not. One friend of mine is huge fan of industrial music - he has deep knowledge about it and although I dont like any of the music he acclaims, I cant argue with him about the fact that its excellent. I just didnt get into industrial music and I cannot appreciate it. It really has nothing to do with its quality. Like people that dont appreciate wine - they probably cant tell the difference between average wine and excellent wine. That doesnt meen that quality of wine is completely subjective.

As F.X.Salda, famous poetry critic from my country said: "Only whores need to be liked, arts does not."

If you played excellent jazz to your average radio listener, he would be like "What the... I dont like that!" That has nothing to do whether its actually good.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

No current console has the power to play a game that would look better than Crysis. This includes KZ3.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#73 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
The water...seriously? The water in KZ3 demo was some of the most hideous I've seen, either the game got a major facelift in the full version or your friend is blind/crazy/trollin.
TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Crysis looks better!

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ehussein1379
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

KZ3 = linear and scripted FPS or yore, with pretty bad graphics compared to a PC game

Crysis 1 = non-linear non-scripted FPS of tomorrow with epic graphics even 4 years later

Your friend has no knowledge of tech, and poor eyesight. Get a new friend IMO ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Just no. Killzone3 looks good for a console game altho the art style makes me want to puke, I hated it. It has nothing on crysis not even close, console gamers need to stick to fighting with eachother and leave the pc out of it for there own good.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

KZ3 = linear and scripted FPS or yore, with pretty bad graphics compared to a PC game

Crysis 1 = non-linear non-scripted FPS of tomorrow with epic graphics even 4 years later

Your friend has no knowledge of tech, and poor eyesight. Get a new friend IMO ;)

ehussein1379

KZ3 doesnt have bad graphics compared to "a PC game". In fact there are very few PC games that look better than Killzone 3.

EdenProxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 EdenProxy
Member since 2010 • 1561 Posts

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

BlbecekBobecek

KZ3 doesnt have bad graphics compared to "a PC game". In fact there are very few PC games that look better than Killzone 3.

No it just looks a pc fps game on medium-low settings
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

BlbecekBobecek

yeah there are. There are plenty of games on PC that look way better. KZ3 is really ugly when it doesn't have it's blur processes running, and it's really jagged.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

Yeah, it looks good in a downsampled pic.

Jebus213

Right-click -> View Image. You'll see the picture at the resolution I took it in.

Now it looks like trash...

a

a

Crysis on my PC.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#81 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

In my opinion Killzone 3 looks better then vanilla Crysis maxed out and its not even close.

BlbecekBobecek

I don't agree with that and while I like Crysis, I'm not the biggest fan of it, just a big fan.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts
[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

There are actually a lot, including multiplats. Example, BulletStorm on PC at 1080p or higher with all settings max :)
hohomerryFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 hohomerryFU
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWrIzQC6uU killzone3 has better water surface effects than crysis 1 or crysis 2. the wave's caused by the explosion are 3D unlike crysis 1/2 which is just a 2d wave. crysis 1/2 have better buoyancy physics well killzone3 has none of that objects dont float in killzone3 water.
hohomerryFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 hohomerryFU
crysis 1 has much bigger levels than killzone3, but id say killzone3's textures are better. crysis 1 looks horrible outdated when compared to crysis warhead.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

I'll keep it succinct, coz this isn't art history cIass: art is not subjective :P.

But yeah, Gears also has fantastic art direction.

Art is subjective..

Nope. Well, not in the way you think it is. If you would like me to present you with a tertiary level paper on the philosophy of subjectivity/objectivity (and its relation to art and opinion), I will be happy to provide it for you.

There is objective value in art, it is what has caused art to evolve (not simply change, but evolve) over the ages. The subjective reception of art differentiates each individual's relations to a particular work (causing a person to like/dislike things), but it does not affect the objective value of the art itself.

If there is one thing that i think all of SW wants to read right now, it's a Tertiary level paper on the philosophy of subjectivity/objectivity and its relation to art and opinion. That my friends would make for some good readin'.
hohomerryFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hohomerryFU
crysis 1 is gonna look like total ass on ps3/360 because even on max the textures are still ass compared to killzone3 or crysis warhead, crysis warhead beat's killzone3 though. only way crysis 1 could look decent on ps3/360 if they redid all the textures for consoles.
Yundex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Yundex
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

BigBoss154

It's called depth of field and motion blur. Both of which occur in our eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur#Biology

It confuses me as to why people don't like it.

Because we see a blurry picture, I don't know how else to explain it. When I move my eyes, I don't notice anything because i'm not looking at the same thing I was before. When playing a game, it makes no sense to me for a part of the screen I'm looking at to just "be blurry" for no reason. (it wasn't until a few years ago that I actually figured out that those were graphical options, which I disable in every game) I can't speak for everyone, but I would like to view a clear picture when playing at 1080p.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

Some people have intresting tastes in graphics. The water in Killzone 3 is much more animated and in-your-face than Crysis so it's far more noticable.

Wasdie
At least there is someone who knows that Crysis doesnt have to win at everything as far as graphics lol.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
[QUOTE="hohomerryFU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWrIzQC6uU killzone3 has better water surface effects than crysis 1 or crysis 2. the wave's caused by the explosion are 3D unlike crysis 1/2 which is just a 2d wave. crysis 1/2 have better buoyancy physics well killzone3 has none of that objects dont float in killzone3 water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8fU2RWyK4 1:35
Avatar image for deactivated-635601fd996cc
deactivated-635601fd996cc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-635601fd996cc
Member since 2009 • 4381 Posts
[QUOTE="hohomerryFU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWrIzQC6uU killzone3 has better water surface effects than crysis 1 or crysis 2. the wave's caused by the explosion are 3D unlike crysis 1/2 which is just a 2d wave. crysis 1/2 have better buoyancy physics well killzone3 has none of that objects dont float in killzone3 water.

Crysis's water is far from 2D. Far Cry 2 water is 2D but Crysis uses obvious tessellation on its water. I have to admit that ripple effect is pretty impressive but Crysis 2 has that too.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
The thing is, Crysis water is interactive. You can swim in it, and watch refraction from above or under the water. Then there's all the under water effects like god rays... Killzone 3 water is good but only because it can be scripted enough without having user interaction mucking up the scripts.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

the wave's caused by the explosion are 3D unlike crysis 1/2 which is just a 2d wave. hohomerryFU

Crysis 2 DX11 on PC has 3D water reactions as well.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#93 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Well to be honest both look pretty good but I like the color pallet better in Crisis than KZ3. The thing is that any game starts to look dated after a few years, but Cirsis 2 running on a high end PC definately looks better than KZ3. But I like the KZ3 gameplay and multiplayer better.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

While Crysis is still the king, its stupidly hard to run for what it is, and it does have some noticeable flaws in areas. So personally I prefer Uncharted 2 to Crysis, but yes Crysis the tech winner.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#95 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Killzone 3 doesn't even come close to comparing it Crysis 1. How do explain the fact that you need a beefy PC to run Crysis maxed?

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Ahh-HAHA...

...Oh wait you were serious. :|

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I like how there are no killzone pics in this thread, and the one video is bad quality off-screen. Clearly people are afraid to post killzone because it'll show how far behind Crysis it is. Killzone is a blurry low res mess that uses excessive blur to try and cover up poor textures and aliasing.

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
has he played crysis 2? max settings, at 1080 + or even warhead, crysis 1 looks dated because of the colours, warhead improves upon that and crysis 2 more so (sometimes too much). Fact is crysis 1, wh and 2 all look a lot better. Even black ops maxed looks better.